Following Coronavirus Page 290

• Rodney 31 Mar 2020 07:31:18 4,302 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The thing with the beach ban though, it's a bit like the UK where having a blanket policy produces unintended or perverse outcomes.

My family back home in Cornwall have to walk their dog in the town where they will come into contact with loads of people but if they follow the rules they can't drive their car up to a quiet spot on the moors.

There are beaches near me in Queensland where I could drive myself down early and pretty much have the beach to myself. I could walk down for a swim or surf and not come into contact with anyone. It's a totally different situation to lounging around on Bondi with thousands of others.
  • Tonka 31 Mar 2020 07:32:27 30,649 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Replace state with community. Do what is best for the community. Make sure the state works for the community.
  • JonFE 31 Mar 2020 07:42:45 2,002 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Malek86

Here in Greece, in order to go out, you either have a written permission to do so from your workplace or you send an SMS describing your name, home address and the reason of leaving the house.

Reasons include go to the pharmacy or for groceries (where online orders are not available), go to a doctor or medical facility (with an appointment already arranged), attend someone who needs help and finally exercise or walk your pet.

While you're out, you may be asked by the police to present one of the above and -if not- you are fined 150€.

According to the authorities, the messages above are deleted every day...

Edited by JonFE at 07:44:05 31-03-2020
  • KnuttinAtoll 31 Mar 2020 07:49:51 8,106 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Rodney wrote:
    The thing with the beach ban though, it's a bit like the UK where having a blanket policy produces unintended or perverse outcomes.

My family back home in Cornwall have to walk their dog in the town where they will come into contact with loads of people but if they follow the rules they can't drive their car up to a quiet spot on the moors.

There are beaches near me in Queensland where I could drive myself down early and pretty much have the beach to myself. I could walk down for a swim or surf and not come into contact with anyone. It's a totally different situation to lounging around on Bondi with thousands of others.
    I think the problem is if lots of people start having the same idea (see Snowdonia recently) or if something happens to you while out and about, possibly wasting emergency service's efforts.

So then it's just easier for the authorities to issue blanket bans I imagine.
  • KnuttinAtoll 31 Mar 2020 07:50:26 8,106 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Also, what if you give Corona to the jellyfish
  • Load_2.0 31 Mar 2020 08:16:11 31,384 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Unwellyfish.
  • Rum_Monkey 31 Mar 2020 08:22:16 623 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Haha, that is awful but it tickled me.

Edited by Rum_Monkey at 08:22:28 31-03-2020
  • kentmonkey 31 Mar 2020 08:40:41 23,519 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    Unwellyfish.
    🤣
  • Mola_Ram 31 Mar 2020 08:48:27 23,529 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Rodney but everyone individually thinking "oh it's ok if I do x, there's not much risk, it doesn't make any difference" is a pretty big problem in this kind of situation.
  • richardiox 31 Mar 2020 08:52:54 8,397 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Rodney

In theory you're right but everyone could think there's no harm if "I" do it.

And even if not everyone could think, "why's he allowed to do it but not me" which seems (and is) unfair. Cue loads of people doing it the next day.

Everyone has to follow the rules or it just doesn't work. Or you end up benefiting from everyone else's obedience eg wow the park is empty again so no harm if I go out.

I still don't get why people can't make such a small sacrifice for such a short period of time. Unless they have a dog to walk.

It's all very individualistic.

Edited by richardiox at 08:54:16 31-03-2020
  • Mola_Ram 31 Mar 2020 09:00:04 23,529 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And if your local beach is nice and quiet, will it remain that way if all the cunts banned from other beaches decide to visit?
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 31 Mar 2020 09:01:18 24,360 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    Unwellyfish.
    You're a disgrace.
  • EMarkM 31 Mar 2020 09:01:23 4,922 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    Unwellyfish.
    🤣
    Snort :D
  • Frogofdoom 31 Mar 2020 09:03:55 16,223 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dad joke of the year right there
  • Pilot83 31 Mar 2020 09:07:23 99 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Rum_Monkey wrote:
    "That is how an unwellyfish do."

/facts
  • monkman76 31 Mar 2020 09:08:49 16,062 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The counter to the counter to Rodney's point is that where I am, and presumably where he is, there is a lot more space a 5-minute drive from my house than there is around my house. If everyone decided to go for a walk at the same time around the block where I live, we'd be like sardines. If all those people went to a different part of the hills or the beach, we'd still have space.

Both are hypothetical because people don't all go out at the same time, but either way - however many people are out at once, surely it's better if they're all in a larger, emptier space rather than hemmed in on terraced streets?
  • PazJohnMitch 31 Mar 2020 09:09:40 15,689 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Still not heard anything about my Mum’s Death Certificate. I just get an automated message when I phone.
  • brokenkey 31 Mar 2020 09:13:51 10,471 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
  • monkman76 31 Mar 2020 09:21:46 16,062 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Jesus wept

In a series of online posters with the hashtag #WomenPreventCOVID19, Malaysia’s women’s affairs ministry issued advice on how to avoid domestic conflicts during the partial lockdown, which began on March 18.

One of the campaign posters depicted a man sitting on a sofa, and asked women to refrain from being “sarcastic” if they need help with household chores.

Avoid nagging your husband, another poster said, attempting to inject humour by using a voice similar to the anime character Doraemon - a blue robot cat popular across Asia.

The ministry also urged women to dress up and wear their makeup while working from home.
    Edited by monkman76 at 09:22:06 31-03-2020
  • Load_2.0 31 Mar 2020 09:28:47 31,384 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Some potentially good news.

https://www.wthr.com/article/pandemic-scientist-says-his-team-has-discovered-potential-cure-covid-19
  • PazJohnMitch 31 Mar 2020 09:30:51 15,689 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    403 Error
  • Load_2.0 31 Mar 2020 09:31:27 31,384 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Oh that link doesn't seem to work. Sorry for wall of text.

Home

'Pandemic' scientist says his team has discovered potential cure for COVID-19
    Dr. Jacob Glanville (KFMB)

KELLY HESSEDAL

Published: Mar 30th, 2020 - 11:22pm (EDT)
    Updated: Mar 30th, 2020 - 11:22pm (EDT)
    CALIFORNIA, USA (KFMB) — A California scientist and his team say they have found a potential cure for COVID-19.

News 8 introduced you to Dr. Jacob Glanville of Distributed Bio a couple of weeks ago. He's one of the doctors featured in the Netflix show "Pandemic." His team in the Bay Area has been working around the clock trying to come up with a drug to treat COVID-19. Monday he announced he believes they've found one.

Advertisement - Story continues below

"We are happy to announce we have completed the engineering and we have some very potent antibodies that can be effective against the virus," said Dr. Glanville.

Below is News 8 reporter Kelly Hessedal's extended interview with Dr. Glanville and the answers he gave on the potential cure:

How did you come up with this potential cure?

We took a series of five antibodies from around 2002 that were able to neutralize SARS. We were able to use technology in our laboratories to evolve those antibodies against SARS to adapt them to recognize COVID-19.

We tried with five different antibodies because we weren’t sure which one would work the best. All five worked so we have a pretty powerful tool chest available to us right now to produce a final therapeutic.

Would the drug be a shot? Or a pill?

We think we will be able to deliver it as a shot. We’ve been deliberately trying to engineer extremely potent antibodies because if they’re potent you need less material and then you could give it as an injection.

Will you be doing the trials on sick patients in the United States?

This is a conversation we’re having with the United States government on exactly where the study is being done. We're also talking to the European Commission.

We want to make sure when we’re ready to release this we’re ready to release it to the entire world.

What is the next step?

We are sending [the antibodies] to the military for confirmation testing and to Charles River Laboratories for safety and tox characterization. We’ve partnered with two different companies that will help us scale up large batches of the antibody for production. We're in discussions to start humane phase one/two trials that would happen at the end of the summer.

Pending good results - [if] we see the drug is safe and helpful means we could start releasing it for compassionate use in September.

How excited were you when you guys realized all this hard work you put in may have really paid off?

I have a remarkable team. It blows me away the endless amount of time they were able to invest in this.
  • TechnoHippy 31 Mar 2020 09:32:38 17,012 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @monkman76 I imagine Boris already has those rules in place at home.
  • Malek86 31 Mar 2020 09:39:51 10,025 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    We've heard of a lot of potential cures and vaccines, but I guess testing takes a long time. Can't risk giving people something that is not 100% safe, or at least close to that.

In good news, apparently the lockdown in Italy is starting to show results. A few hospitals in Northern Italy are not overloaded anymore. Though it's hard to say whether people have recovered or just died, at least it means there haven't been so many who needed ICU lately.

Since the number of new cases is still pretty high according to newspapers, it makes me think that perhaps most of those who have tested positive in the last few days only have milder symptoms and therefore didn't need to go to the hospital.

Edited by Malek86 at 09:41:09 31-03-2020
  • Dirt3 31 Mar 2020 09:49:22 984 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    Oh that link doesn't seem to work. Sorry for wall of text.

Home

Dr. Jacob Glanville (KFMB)

KELLY HESSEDAL

Surely there are a ton of antibodies out there. Everyone who has caught the virus has got them.

I don't know why antibodies are not given directly as treatments for disease. Maybe it's because you can't practically deliver them in high enough concentration to all parts of the body affected. Or maybe antibodies are person specific.
  • TheSaint 31 Mar 2020 09:54:52 19,474 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    This is fucked up:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/30/las-vegas-parking-lot-homeless-shelter
  • azurelas_2 31 Mar 2020 09:56:46 2,022 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    Unwellyfish.
    Speaking of bad dad jokes, I got a covid-19 Live Aid poster I'd love to share. No Cure, Wu Han Clan, Miley Virus and Flu fighters are personal favourites.

EDIT: seems like the link isn't working. I'll just post it here: https://imgur.com/a/QqyKaSa

Edited by azurelas_2 at 09:59:13 31-03-2020
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 31 Mar 2020 09:56:57 24,360 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Or maybe submicroscopic virology is more complicated than that?
  • Immaterial 31 Mar 2020 09:57:36 2,397 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Pilot83 wrote:
    Rum_Monkey wrote:
    "That is how an unwellyfish do."

/facts
    Does zefrank count as an internet treasure?
  • RobAnybody 31 Mar 2020 09:59:45 2,121 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not sure who thought this was a good idea:

https://i.imgur.com/itrjgVa.gifv

It's the Empire State Building: "Starting tonight through the COVID-19 battle, our signature white lights will be replaced by the heartbeat of America with a white and red siren in the mast for heroic emergency workers on the front line of the fight.”

After browsing reddit and elsewhere all it seems to be doing is spooking people a lot as opposed to being reassuring.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.