In dire need of a good modern RTS

• Louiss97 10 Mar 2020 06:47:16 2 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Hello my fellow comrades, here is a PC gamer that need a good modern RTS game, i dont care for price, requirements just need to play modern and good RTS if there is one, last what i have played it was only Age of Empires I and II remastered, CNC whole Serial and Desert of Kharak - Homeworld.

Was googling for upcoming and current RTS games, but its futile, and please guys avoid answering Warcraft 3 Reforged(Its abomination of a game).

Thank you in advance.
  • OnlyJoeKing 10 Mar 2020 09:08:28 1,055 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Total War: Warhammer 2
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 Mar 2020 09:43:26 8,401 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @OnlyJoeKing That's an excellent game, but its RTS components are only a small part of it. It's a turn-based Grand Strategy game before it's an RTS.

"Pure" RTSes seem to be a bit unfashionable as a genre these days. The competitive world moved onto MOBAs and the lack of easy console porting makes them tough mass-market propositions. Ashes of the Singularity is probably the best recent-ish entry in the genre.
  • disusedgenius 10 Mar 2020 09:52:53 10,422 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just play Starcraft 2 again. :)

Otherwise I liked They Are Billions for the base building aspect, the Conan rip off might also be worth a look.

I've heard good things about Tooth and Tail as well, though not played it myself.
  • captbirdseye 10 Mar 2020 10:02:46 9,565 posts
    Seen 32 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Grey Goo, 8 Bit Armies, C&C Collection, Dawn of War series, Company of Heoroes.
  • OnlyJoeKing 10 Mar 2020 10:10:50 1,055 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Rogueywon I reckon the real time battles in TW:W2 are good enough to recommend it. It's such a good game! He might end up liking the grand strategy element.

Plus if it's just for multiplayer, the battles are great too. I've not played too much online but it seems excellent.

But yeah, STRICTLY speaking it isn't just an rts!
  • OnlyJoeKing 10 Mar 2020 10:14:36 1,055 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I mean it's the best game mentioned here by a mile imo
  • JonFE 10 Mar 2020 10:29:42 2,002 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I see captbirdseye got here first, but I think Petroglyph's 8-bit games (Armies, Invaders and Hordes) are supposed to be good.
  • AcidSnake 10 Mar 2020 10:35:49 8,294 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Although I finished it and did enjoy it Grey Goo was slightly too shallow...

Although again not perfect (and no story campaign beyond "murder everyone") I enjoyed a few runthroughs of Planetary Annihilation...Still have a key lying around of that if you're interested?
  • Lukree 10 Mar 2020 10:46:30 545 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Damn, wish that Company of Heroes would go back to its roots.
  • disusedgenius 10 Mar 2020 10:48:08 10,422 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Same with Dawn of War. Poor Relic, what did they do to you? :(
  • disusedgenius 10 Mar 2020 10:49:20 10,422 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Although I still have my fingers crossed that Iron Harvest can pull that flavour of RTS back from the brink.
  • RedPanda87 10 Mar 2020 14:00:39 2,017 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Northgard is really good, but it's a fairly slow-paced one focused more on building up your village than combat, so depends what you want. It's definitely got Age of Empires vibes though.
  • Gregolution 10 Mar 2020 16:44:08 9,976 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    At least there are some on the horizon (already mentioned here). New age of empires and iron harvest.

Northgard would be your best bet currently and it's cheap
  • andytheadequate 10 Mar 2020 23:49:48 9,105 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Louiss97 wrote:
    Hello my fellow comrades, here is a PC gamer that need a good modern RTS game, i dont care for price, requirements just need to play modern and good RTS if there is one, last what i have played it was only Age of Empires I and II remastered, CNC whole Serial and Desert of Kharak - Homeworld.

Was googling for upcoming and current RTS games, but its futile, and please guys avoid answering Warcraft 3 Reforged(Its abomination of a game).

Thank you in advance.
    Not really a new game, but they did a remake of Cossacks a couple of years ago, which you might enjoy if you like Age of Empires.

If you like war games with no base building, then Ultimate General Gettysburg is a good RTS too.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.