Laptop Recommendations

• docrob 16 Mar 2020 10:32:00 1,540 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hi folks,

Looking for a recommendation. I want to buy a laptop as a ‘downstairs’ PC. It will mostly be used by my kids (15 and 12). The main reason I am getting it is for schoolwork (Office etc) but it occurred to me that getting one with a decent gaming spec would probably be worth it as it would lead to fewer fights in future.

The trouble is that you can look for a work laptop, or a gaming laptop, but if you want one that does both well, it breaks the internet. Does anyone own such a laptop that they would recommend? Budget probably in the £1k range, but flexible.
  • Dirt3 16 Mar 2020 10:37:47 984 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    PC for downstairs ?

Very large screen. Webcam.
  • docrob 16 Mar 2020 10:40:16 1,540 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Currently have a fairly cheap desktop in the dining room, which is dying. Replacing with a laptop will save space. Could also be moved from room to room as needed.
  • brokenkey 16 Mar 2020 14:31:36 10,471 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I bought a 17in i7 smasung laptop back in 2012, and we've just had to stop using it because the SSD is giving up the ghost. It had a decent graphics card for the time, but airflow was always an issue so it overheated and framerates crashed.

Objectively the best bit of IT equipment I've ever had.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.