Lost functionality on both arms and looking for alternatives to mouse and keyboard to game a little

• staticbreed 16 Mar 2020 13:02:50 5 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    You are probably wondering how am I writing this ( I use a 'voice typer' app) and how I lost almost complete use of my arms.

I used to be a body builder and a big gamer, until one afternoon in July 2017 I saw a fellow lifter in trouble benching. I was in the middle of a heavy set so I was already at almost complete exhaustion in my muscles, I saw this guy in the mirror who was benching 150 kg solo. I had a bad feeling and after 1 rep the entire weight banged down on his chest which we found out later broke a rib, I dropped my weights and ran over to him to lift it up.

I was already out of breathe and my muscles weakened, but it was only me and him in the small gym area and I knew that if I didn't make it happen he could maybe even die. I had my legs separated over him trying to lift 150 kg mid-air, I realized I wasn't managing it even though back then I could deadlift 180 kg, however this position was very unnatural to me and I could feel my back giving in. I kept screaming but was hopeless.

But as human beings, in moments of panic and fear we can surpass ourselves and pain no longer becomes part of the equation.. well that's exactly what happened, I calmed myself down and took a big breathe and slowly lifted the bar high enough for him to slide underneath, though he was screaming in agony doing so.

I lost consciousnesses for the first time in my life for a few seconds and hit the floor. He got sent to hospital, and I was simply checked over there and then and went home.

My arms were inflamed, but I didn't think anything of it.. until the next day. I could no longer feel parts of it, I could no longer hold or use anything without pain that drives me insane.

I won't bore you with the medical details, but it's been 3 years since and I am still unable to play any games, gripping a mouse or a controller pad is impossible now for me. I can't afford the treatment as I've lost my job ages ago due to my health, it's over 8000.00, so my only choice is to hope that it settles off. I have tried over 50 different types of physios, creams, KT tape, herbal treatments, and many others, but no joy. I have no family to rely on.

I was near death last year because I was misdisgnosed with acute Eagle Syndrome which I managed to get saved by a fantastic surgeon, however due to the prolonged diagnosis it damaged my 'Vagus Nerve' and narrowed my internal jugular veines in my neck which has been causing me a horrible 'sensation of drowning' , 'air hunger'. But it is slowly getting better after 13 months and after repeat brain angioplasties.

I'm happy and lucky to still be a part of this world, but gaming is all i have since I'm locked at home, really need a distraction from my health problems to keep going.

I'm sorry for venting my life like this.. this is actually the first time I reach out to people about it like this.

I know it's probably a stupid question, but is there a way to play a game like Dofus which is not to stressing without using a mouse on hands? Any alternatives anyone can think of? I really appreciate it..

Static

EDIT: I can move my elbows, and shoulders and it's actually healthy for me to keep them moving for the nerves to glide, even if it's uncomfortable. But gripping on things and repetitive use of fingers is unbearable.

Edited by staticbreed at 17:09:12 16-03-2020
  • TechnoHippy 16 Mar 2020 13:15:34 17,015 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Contact a charity called Special Effect - they work to allow disabled people to enjoy video games.
  • wizbob 16 Mar 2020 13:27:27 924 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    That's a tough story. Didn't Cyberclaw have investigate similar alternatives? What did he settle on?
  • staticbreed 16 Mar 2020 13:31:26 5 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    @TechnoHippy Thank you so much for the reply, I remember seeing this Charity on twitter!! But never took my chances.. I will drop them this message maybe, good idea.
  • staticbreed 16 Mar 2020 13:34:05 5 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    @wizbob I just looked this person up, motorcycle accident.. terrible. It's unclear on what he able to settle on for me. I can't use either arms however.

If I could use even just one hand for a mouse, I would be so happy

Edited by staticbreed at 13:50:48 16-03-2020
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 16 Mar 2020 13:49:46 32,417 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I knew someone that with Motor Neuron Disease that used eye gaze tracking hardware called Tobii, so out of curiosity I tried a software solution on my own PC that just used a webcam. It worked better than I expected. Certainly not reliable enough for fast paced stuff, but a turn-based game like an RPG or Civilization would work.

The software I used seems to have been abandoned, but there are still free alternatives out there. I realise even if you could get that set up it does limit your game choice, but it'd be better than no games :p
  • staticbreed 16 Mar 2020 13:55:04 5 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    @DFawkes Thank you for this!! The game I want to play is actually turned based called Dofus. I will have a look on Youtube just on well this can be used for games like this.

Thank you friend
  • TechnoHippy 16 Mar 2020 14:13:44 17,015 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    staticbreed wrote:
    @TechnoHippy Thank you so much for the reply, I remember seeing this Charity on twitter!! But never took my chances.. I will drop them this message maybe, good idea.
    They're a great bunch of people, although I forgot to mention that they're UK based.
  • Tricky 16 Mar 2020 15:14:17 4,954 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Yes, Special Effect are definitely the right people to contact. I hope people don't see this as too much of a plug but we did a lot of work with them and Microsoft to produce our Adaptive Gaming Kit for the Xbox Adaptive Controller. You'll need some extra kit in the form of a stick of some kind to complete the picture, although Special Effect can better advise you based on your specific requirements.

Honestly, just watching people have their world opened up because of this has been one of the most amazing things in my entire career of making gaming peripherals - and I wasn't even directly involved with the project!
  • askew 16 Mar 2020 15:38:02 21,324 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Awesome work Tricky
  • staticbreed 16 Mar 2020 16:54:25 5 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    @Tricky Thank you a million for encouraging me to do it. I can just imagine how lovely it must be to help people get back into their hobbies, a great thing you're doing.

I have just finished submitting a message to them on their website.

However they seem really overwhelmed based on their site statement. I'll be lucky I guess to hear back from them.
  • Dirtbox 16 Mar 2020 20:14:01 91,337 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    wizbob wrote:
    That's a tough story. Didn't Cyberclaw have investigate similar alternatives? What did he settle on?
    I remember watching his youtube video of that fateful day, accompanied by WHEN THE BODIES HIT THE FLOOR. It took everything I had to not laugh.
  • Dirtbox 16 Mar 2020 20:14:54 91,337 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    These are useful resources.

https://ablegamers.org/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/disabledgamers/

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.