Following Doom Eternal Page 10

• Duffking 21 Mar 2020 19:47:35 16,599 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I expect they're just playing on lower difficulties, hence the impressions of saying it's more of the same. Playing on UV is a totally different game to the last one and I expect on easier difficulties it feels less restrictive.
  • Bichii 21 Mar 2020 19:49:21 3,046 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm going for all secrets etc. I'm on maybe the last level and I've only missed two secrets that I need to back and get in mission select.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 21 Mar 2020 20:02:25 32,965 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It definitely seems to have sucked the fun out of it a little and replaced it with a bunch of overlapping systems and increased difficulty. Enjoying it in bursts but not engrossed.
  • Malek86 21 Mar 2020 20:14:44 10,090 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Correct me if I'm wrong (it's been a while since I played 2016), but wasn't the glory kills system kinda optional? If you glory killed a demon it would spawn tons of health, and chainsawing an enemy spawned lots of ammo, but the game was still pretty context-sensitive: if you killed a demon while low on ammo, no matter how you dealth the blow, it still had a high chance of spawning ammo. Same for health. So in the end you still could do things the way you wanted, even though it was a bit harder.

Did they remove that in the sequel, so now you absolutely have to use chainsaw and glory kills? Or is it still somewhat arbitrary?

Edited by Malek86 at 20:15:03 21-03-2020
  • JamboWayOh 21 Mar 2020 20:25:54 19,306 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    Correct me if I'm wrong (it's been a while since I played 2016), but wasn't the glory kills system kinda optional? If you glory killed a demon it would spawn tons of health, and chainsawing an enemy spawned lots of ammo, but the game was still pretty context-sensitive: if you killed a demon while low on ammo, no matter how you dealth the blow, it still had a high chance of spawning ammo. Same for health. So in the end you still could do things the way you wanted, even though it was a bit harder.

Did they remove that in the sequel, so now you absolutely have to use chainsaw and glory kills? Or is it still somewhat arbitrary?
    No there is a possibility that the enemy will drop health in the sequel, and it wasn't always guaranteed that ammo drops in the 2016 version. Ammo was definitely more available in the 2016 version but then chainsaw fuel was not common and did not auto recharge. Ammo is available in the sequel but not at the same volume. I personally quite like as it forces you to mix your weapon usage and pick your battles, leaving the fodder for ammo or armor.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 21 Mar 2020 20:32:20 9,365 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:

It was optional-ish on normal but on UV and Nightmare it was essential, without glory kills and chainsawing at the right time you would be hosed.
  • Duffking 21 Mar 2020 20:49:06 16,599 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @BigOrkWaaagh Eh, once you had a bunch of health/armour/ammo upgrades I'd say that wasn't really the case at all, by the mid point on UV I basically never used them outside of needing to do so for mission challenges.
  • Technoishmatt 21 Mar 2020 20:49:16 4,127 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The thing I found annoying about Doom 16 was that every big arena had a power up in it. On the higher difficulties I really needed this to survive, but always felt I didnt know when to use it until after the fight, when it is pointless. Towards the end I got a little bored of the demons taking soooo many hits and I lowered the difficulty, but then basically I could simply plasma ice blast and super shotgun my way through the game. With a brief switch up to the sniper shot thing to one shot some of the big bads.
  • JamboWayOh 21 Mar 2020 20:52:32 19,306 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Indeed I basically just used the super shotgun once I fully upgraded it and rarely used weapons such as the minigun or plasma gun. I actually like it that I'm forced to mix stuff up.
  • Tomo 21 Mar 2020 20:54:49 17,693 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I'd prefer more ammo in this one. It makes the micro management overwhelmingly necessary. Could be a consequence of playing on Nightmare mind, not sure if the difficulty is just AI related or items too. I regularly run out of ammo and then have to hunt down some chumps for a chainsaw kill. I get this is part of the game, but it happens a lot and isn't particularly fun searching for a grunt.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 21 Mar 2020 20:59:26 9,365 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Duffking wrote:
    @BigOrkWaaagh Eh, once you had a bunch of health/armour/ammo upgrades I'd say that wasn't really the case at all, by the mid point on UV I basically never used them outside of needing to do so for mission challenges.
    You must be better at it than me, I had many tense moments on low HP looking for something to rip in half :D
  • DanoFNG 21 Mar 2020 22:34:13 369 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    On the topic of power ups I seem to remember in 2016 the name or description of the powerup flashed up or something to let you know what was going on? So far in this one I've had two powerups but didn't really know what the effect was either time.
  • Bichii 21 Mar 2020 22:41:37 3,046 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Purple quad damage, yellow infinite ammo.
  • Bichii 21 Mar 2020 22:50:32 3,046 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Annnnnd finished! All secrets as well after I went back and got the couple I missed. Excellent game!! While not as perfect as 2016 easily a 9/10.
  • wuntyate 21 Mar 2020 23:13:32 14,658 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hmmm. My good will isn't lasting long. Platform section arena fight platform section arena fight yawn.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 21 Mar 2020 23:16:01 8,686 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm about to make myself unpopular...

I like the platforming bits. Possibly less annoying on KB+mouse than controller?
  • quadfather 21 Mar 2020 23:23:31 36,597 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Duffking wrote:
    The entire ethos of this game is basically cool down management and approaching things the exact way the developers want you to instead of just having fun blasting shit. It's very hard work. The core is good stuff but it comes at you very quickly and there's a lot of baffling design decisions that muddy the experience.
    There it is.

I was just catching up on the thread and this stood out. It's exactly what's bugging me about the game. You're basically having to play their game how they want you to play it, rather than give you options so you can play it your own way.
  • wuntyate 21 Mar 2020 23:28:39 14,658 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah I've dumped it for now. I enjoyed it but it's getting stupid already and... All the things i feared are now coming to the fore my initial buzz has worn off. Not entirely sure I'll go back to it.

Edited by wuntyate at 23:29:48 21-03-2020
  • AddyB- 21 Mar 2020 23:48:55 701 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Besides a shitty platform sequence Ive just done I have no complaints really. I rarely run out of ammo now as I seem to be in the zone of mixing up chainsaw kills with normal just right.
  • JamboWayOh 22 Mar 2020 00:17:33 19,306 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    AddyB_ wrote:
    Besides a shitty platform sequence Ive just done I have no complaints really. I rarely run out of ammo now as I seem to be in the zone of mixing up chainsaw kills with normal just right.
    Me too. Ah well.
  • wuntyate 22 Mar 2020 00:29:48 14,658 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Part of the problem for me i think is I've always preferred slow methodical games to frantic ones. Probably why i love doom 3 the most as it's slow. Doom 2016 i got away with playing it my way but there's no give on this. It wants me to play it in a way I'm not comfortable with. It is very much a good game, just not for me. First two levels i could fit my play style into but not level 3, and it'll get more intense from here obvs. So i should have trusted my instincts. Pity.

Back to nioh 2 i go. Not a bad thing mind you.

Edited by wuntyate at 00:30:18 22-03-2020
  • Duffking 22 Mar 2020 01:42:48 16,599 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    these sticky floor areas might be the worst game mechanic I've ever seen

oh god they put pinky demons in them

did anyone on the dev team for this game actually play doom 2016?

Edited by Duffking at 01:44:42 22-03-2020
  • quadfather 22 Mar 2020 10:49:20 36,597 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:
    Part of the problem for me i think is I've always preferred slow methodical games to frantic ones. Probably why i love doom 3 the most as it's slow. Doom 2016 i got away with playing it my way but there's no give on this. It wants me to play it in a way I'm not comfortable with. It is very much a good game, just not for me. First two levels i could fit my play style into but not level 3, and it'll get more intense from here obvs. So i should have trusted my instincts. Pity.

Back to nioh 2 i go. Not a bad thing mind you.
    Yeah, I feel the same about it, and actually prefer the platformy bits because that's the only time I can relax and play it without managing multiple cool downs.

I can do the juggle between chainsaw, flame and grenade ok, but that's about it. I'll see how I get on.
  • Malek86 22 Mar 2020 11:24:30 10,090 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Can you change difficulty on the fly? Maybe people would like it better on HMP.
  • JamboWayOh 22 Mar 2020 11:33:04 19,306 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    Can you change difficulty on the fly? Maybe people would like it better on HMP.
    Yep.
  • quadfather 22 Mar 2020 11:33:33 36,597 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm already on HMP :D
  • JamboWayOh 22 Mar 2020 11:34:54 19,306 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    I'm already on HMP :D
    OK, BOOMER!
  • Tomo 22 Mar 2020 11:40:56 17,693 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    :D
  • Tomo 22 Mar 2020 11:41:30 17,693 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Actually boomers should really be used to Doom games by now.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.