Following Doom Eternal Page 12

• wuntyate 22 Mar 2020 19:04:53 14,662 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, I played through Doom 2016 on Uv which is about the peak of my skill level for these kind of games. I found it tough but manageable. I'm finding this one tough and borderline unmanageable on hmp. But I'm very much in the "it's very good indeed" camp, now I've taken the game at what it is, and not what I thought it would be. It's actually a logical progression from 2016 with a refinement of what it is id actually want to do with Doom.
  • ryan_isthisit 22 Mar 2020 19:15:44 26 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Reckon Iíll start on HMP, with a view to moving it down if and when necessary. Iím pretty shit so I suspect it wonít be long. Thanks for the advice.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 22 Mar 2020 19:52:45 8,695 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I can confirm HMP is tough enough for me for the time being. I'm getting better at controlling the flow of battles now, but it is pretty relentless.
  • TechnoHippy 22 Mar 2020 19:55:14 17,310 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The crucible is a lot of fun :-)
  • Bichii 22 Mar 2020 20:03:32 3,091 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    By far the most important thing to do re upgrades on the guns is unlock the mastery of the super shotgun asap, it's a life saver over and over again.
  • wuntyate 22 Mar 2020 20:10:20 14,662 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Bichii what does that do? I don't think i actually checked!!!
  • Bichii 22 Mar 2020 20:11:01 3,091 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @wuntyate every time you meat hook it sets them on fire, aka armour every kill.
  • wuntyate 22 Mar 2020 20:13:38 14,662 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ooooh. Sweet.
  • Tomo 22 Mar 2020 21:12:00 17,702 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I've started getting the Mastery unlocks. Got it for the Heavy Rifle - headshot machine. Love it. Working on the single shotgun sticky bombs and super shotgun atm.

My favourite guns are definitely those two. The plasma rifle has its uses and the rocket launcher is good for pummeling some of the bigger bosses. The super shotgun is soooo slow though. Not a fan. The meat hook is amazing - I wish that was a general ability rather than single gun attachment. Would've made zipping around the levels and comboing even more fun.
  • Tomo 22 Mar 2020 21:18:55 17,702 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Gotta say, this is really winning me over now. I've just done the mission back on Earth and it was easily the best so far. Really reminded me of retro Doom with how the different parts of the map intersected. Some of the arenas were glorious too.

It's a slow starting game, with wayyy too much faff initially. But now I've got my battle tactics down I'm having a blast. It's sooo frantic at times. I'm even enjoying the climbing and platforming aspects. It's probably the best platforming in an FPS, which is an odd compliment. I'm still not convinced it way really necessary, but it's pretty fun once you get used to it.

The sticky goo is an abominable design choice; I would like another 25% more ammo in my weapons; I kinda wish the map didn't exist as it distracts me an awful lot; and Flame Belching is one too many plates to spin that it detracts from the fun. But I'm going 8, possibly 9/10, so far.
  • Tomo 22 Mar 2020 21:20:22 17,702 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    Working on the single shotgun sticky bombs atm.

Actually, I just realised. HTF do you do this? You have to fire 5 rounds without reloading the gun, but the gun automatically reloads?! I don't understand it. I can get to 3 sticky bombs and then it seems to just reload...
  • Bichii 22 Mar 2020 21:24:05 3,091 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It's five rounds after you've unlock the mastery. Super shot gun is comfortably the most important gun. You can kick arse with every weapon but that super shotgun.....oh yeah..
    Probably section most important is the ballista. All guns are beast mode when upgraded..
  • Bichii 22 Mar 2020 22:00:25 3,091 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm looking forward to you guys playing the last level. :). I just replaying it now to try and enjoy the carnage a bit more.
  • Bichii 23 Mar 2020 00:04:44 3,091 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Okay so full doom and doom 2 are inside this game ! :).
  • Duffking 23 Mar 2020 00:07:06 16,599 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I have to say that despite my misgivings early on that this is excellent, but fuck me is it difficult to like for the first few levels and there are still some annoying design decisions.
  • Tomo 23 Mar 2020 00:43:34 17,702 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    It's five rounds after you've unlock the mastery. Super shot gun is comfortably the most important gun. You can kick arse with every weapon but that super shotgun.....oh yeah..
    Probably section most important is the ballista. All guns are beast mode when upgraded..
    Thx totally misread.

Sticky bombs are easily my most used weapon. They are just strong against everything and the base shotgun is weak enough to only stagger the minions, meaning you can keep one gun out going from Glory Kill to Glory Kill, whilst pummeling sticky bombs at the bigger enemies. That's my style anyway! If I had infinite ammo, I'd probably just use that, ha.
  • TechnoHippy 23 Mar 2020 06:28:54 17,310 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The shotgun on full auto can be pretty devastating too.
  • Bichii 23 Mar 2020 08:09:36 3,091 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I can't believe how much I'm enjoying doom 2! It's so good, no wonder everyone loved it so much back in the old days :)
  • Duffking 23 Mar 2020 08:50:44 16,599 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Pfft doom 2 is the worst doom game, its just the best for modding. Like half the levels in it are garbage 😛
  • quadfather 23 Mar 2020 11:27:07 36,601 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hell revealed, now that's a doom mod
  • minky-kong 23 Mar 2020 15:37:29 14,579 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I know people have already mentioned it in this thread, but the way secret encounters have been implemented is fucking appalling.
  • minky-kong 23 Mar 2020 16:08:17 14,579 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ...and Christ the marauder boss fight is frustrating bullshit. I assume these cunts turn up later in the game as well just to completely spoil the flow of the game?

Current feeling is this game is utter bollocks compared to the previous one. Moments of greatness shine occasionally only to be ruined by some godawful design choice soon after, like that restrictive purple goo or some other such bullshit. Bleurgh.
  • TechnoHippy 23 Mar 2020 16:56:54 17,310 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    minky-kong wrote:
    I know people have already mentioned it in this thread, but the way secret encounters have been implemented is fucking appalling.
    Indeed - I did a few and then just didn't bother with them anymore.
  • Bichii 23 Mar 2020 17:11:38 3,091 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I get most of the moans but I don't get the secret encounter ones. If you fail just chainsaw the weakest enemy or die to get ammo back.

Yeah kinky mong, later the marauder is added to normal battle encounters, you know for fun :/
  • minky-kong 23 Mar 2020 17:21:29 14,579 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    I get most of the moans but I don't get the secret encounter ones. If you fail just chainsaw the weakest enemy or die to get ammo back.
    Well apart from the timer still running while playing the chainsaw and glory kills animation so you can write off succeeding on that attempt, both secret encounters on level 6 don't spawn any weaker enemies you can chainsaw for extra ammo.
  • Duffking 23 Mar 2020 23:32:52 16,599 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The introduction of the arch vile is some more fucking stupid design. Way to go lads, that's right, introduce a game mechanic as being synonymous with a certain item somewhere hidden that you need to destroy then decide that actually it means something else now without fucking telling me. Genius.

Also the secret encounter on the beginning of that level can fuck off as well, you literally cannot do it without a BFG shot and there's no BFG ammo nearby for you to get it.

There's a great game in here but it is wrapped in so much shitty design. Like it's increidble that someone actually signed off the marauder encounters as being fun.

Edited by Duffking at 23:33:22 23-03-2020
  • Bichii 23 Mar 2020 23:44:57 3,091 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Haha I watched skillup review earlier and overall he loved it but it had a special part dedicated to the marauder, even saying if he ever got to interview Hugo? again he'd ask why the hell it made it into the game as it ruins every encounter. :)
  • Duffking 23 Mar 2020 23:48:38 16,599 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I can only assume it was the baby of a designer high enough up the project that they could get their way, because it is a fundamentally shit piece of enemy design. I'd like to think if at my job I tried to get something like that in the game my lead would tell me to get fucked.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.