Following Doom Eternal Page 13

• Duffking 24 Mar 2020 00:09:06 16,610 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    This game has a lot in common with NG2. Frustratingly close to brilliance but kind of misses the point of the last game a bit too often and some baffling design decisions all over the shop.

Edited by Duffking at 00:38:46 24-03-2020
  • Reacher 24 Mar 2020 12:18:41 2,988 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I really like the general gameplay, as I'm a big fan of Doom. However, I'd rather not have platforming and ledge climbing, it just seems unnecessary.

Not sure how much I will see it through if that gets any worse. The music and the gunplay are great as usual.
  • Gregolution 24 Mar 2020 13:47:44 10,044 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bloody hell this is brilliant. I'm into it now. I can see the complaints about all the huge mechanics introduced and pausing gameplay for tutorials a lot but personally I love that sort of thing. Its introduced so many systems and new things.... and that freshens up a tired genre for me.

UV is so far perfect difficulty for me on PC but I'd probably struggle at HMP with a controller. Maybe I'll have to turn it down later who knows, but right now I'm loving it. Great evolution of 2016.

Edited by Gregolution at 13:48:13 24-03-2020
  • Bichii 24 Mar 2020 14:04:43 3,161 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Glad you're enjoying it. What level are you on? The last level is bananas! I'm jealous you're on a mouse, it must be beautiful.
  • TechnoHippy 24 Mar 2020 14:06:16 17,470 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    What I'm guessing was the penultimate boss was a bastard, the Icon of Sin isn't proving any easier.
  • TechnoHippy 24 Mar 2020 14:09:58 17,470 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The Marauder does get a bit easier later on when you have space, but is a bastard throughout.
  • minky-kong 24 Mar 2020 14:14:43 14,594 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Duffking wrote:
    The introduction of the arch vile is some more fucking stupid design. Way to go lads, that's right, introduce a game mechanic as being synonymous with a certain item somewhere hidden that you need to destroy then decide that actually it means something else now without fucking telling me. Genius.
    Just hit this bit, it's truly amazing that for a game that throws immersion breaking tutorial hints at you constantly they pick this one to not actually explain an integral enemy feature.

...and now the game has crashed right at that bit too. Wonderful.

Whole game feels like it neglected to take any playtesting feedback onboard.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 24 Mar 2020 21:16:43 9,441 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I just beat the Doom Hunters. It went a bit like this:

Haha yes! Oh shit he's not dead.
    Yes, take that! Now he's definitely dead.
    Are you fucking kidding me.

Good ruck though. The game has grown on me a lot, but the platform bits can still do one.
  • JamboWayOh 24 Mar 2020 21:27:42 19,980 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I fucking love this game and the 6th and 7th level were just a constant push of brilliance where I was just controlling the battle going through all my abilities and weapons where required and dashing like a mad man. I'm actively looking forward to replaying this with all my shit.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 24 Mar 2020 21:39:33 9,441 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Can you NG+ on a higher difficulty?
  • Bichii 24 Mar 2020 21:45:58 3,161 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I just tried out the two mastery levels I unlocked. Yes that was fun! It's basically the normal levels remixed even more crazy.
  • Duffking 24 Mar 2020 23:13:11 16,610 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Just had to hard reset to get my lives back the second level after the "point of no return" bit because a marauder glitched out and just stood still for 5 seconds instead of dying and then reactivated and would no longer get stunned when supposed to and just became fully invicible and took all 7 of my extra lives.

I honestly can't believe this enemy is even in the game, everything about it sucks. It's not fun to fight, it ruins every fight it appears in, it's glitchy, it's basically the antithesis of the entire game's combat design and as soon as it starts moving it looks fucking stupid too because it looks like its run cycle animation is playing at 2x speed.

It's honestly in what the fuck were you even thinking territory.
  • atothewest 25 Mar 2020 06:32:10 1,098 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted
  • atothewest 25 Mar 2020 06:32:10 1,098 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not giving you the choice whether to use an extra life or not was a rank decision also.
  • wuntyate 25 Mar 2020 07:40:58 14,926 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yes that is shit. I end up spunking all my spare lives in one area because i lose concentration or whatever when I'd rather save them for difficult encounters.

Apart from that, really can't believe how much this has grown on me. It's pure joy to play.
  • Bichii 25 Mar 2020 08:03:28 3,161 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Spare lives? Why are you all concerned about spare lives! They are there to be used up, I rarely had more than one spare :).
  • atothewest 25 Mar 2020 08:32:49 1,098 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm not concerned about them, it just seems dumb that you can't choose to save them for a tough encounter if you want to. One of a number of design choices that feel like they were made to arbitrarily make the game more challenging rather than more fun, like the sticky-floor arenas or having the secret challenge areas use your main resources up (yes, I know, chainsaw the nearest grunt afterwards etc. etc. :))
  • Gregolution 25 Mar 2020 09:02:11 10,044 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't see it as dumb, it would just make things easier. They made a conscious decision to not give you control. The impact is you feel more stress at any encounter to keep your extra life for when you really need it which IMO is a really good thing.

If you're finding it too hard, then turn the difficulty down?
  • atothewest 25 Mar 2020 09:09:11 1,098 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm not finding it too hard (although it is definitely a tough cookie, playing on UV) - just criticising what in my eyes is a poor design decision. I'm happy you like it, but for me, instead of adding stress to try and keep ahold of my lives, instead it just serves to make them a completely irrelevant resource which I never even think about.

Edited by atothewest at 09:09:28 25-03-2020
  • wuntyate 25 Mar 2020 10:27:52 14,926 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    They just seem pointless because they get used up randomly. I'd actually rather they weren't there at all. It just makes no sense that they are when I can lose them all on a platforming section for example when I would just be respawning at a check point anyway. Pointless.
  • JamboWayOh 25 Mar 2020 10:29:05 19,980 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:
    They just seem pointless because they get used up randomly. I'd actually rather they weren't there at all. It just makes no sense that they are when I can lose them all on a platforming section for example when I would just be respawning at a check point anyway. Pointless.
    You're losing lives on a platforming section? C'mon man, they're not that hard.
  • wuntyate 25 Mar 2020 10:39:10 14,926 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Not really but it was to illustrate my point.

Not that I give a massive fuck tbh, just that I think it's pointless having them and it would be better if you could decide when to use them.

But I'm really getting into niggle territory here as the game is very much fucking brilliant.
  • wuntyate 25 Mar 2020 10:40:32 14,926 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Also, because I'm an old bastard with shit reflexes I've taken to pulling up the weapon wheel every time I want to check my cool down meters or have a think about what to do. It really helps!
  • Bichii 25 Mar 2020 10:47:46 3,161 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Haha. Old!! Although yes I do find it annoying having ice and standard grenade the same button but having to use the d pad to quickly flick. The last thing I want to do during a frantic fight is fanny about trying to flick a button.
  • Gregolution 25 Mar 2020 11:23:32 10,044 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I love love love the slowing down time rune during a jump. So good.
  • Bichii 25 Mar 2020 11:25:33 3,161 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I didn't use it until after I'd completed the game. I ran with fast glory kill, fast movement after glory kill, monsters stay in glory kill state for longer.
  • TechnoHippy 25 Mar 2020 11:30:25 17,470 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    wuntyate wrote:
    Whilst we bow down to your superior gaming skills, I for one found some sections quite difficult (especially as the mechanics wouldn't always work) and I lost more lives though platforming sections than in combat.
  • Malek86 25 Mar 2020 11:34:16 10,158 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Wait, I must have missed something. There are *lives* in this game?

Did I suddenly land in the 80's?
  • JamboWayOh 25 Mar 2020 11:34:36 19,980 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    wuntyate wrote:
    Whilst we bow down to your superior gaming skills, I for one found some sections quite difficult (especially as the mechanics wouldn't always work) and I lost more lives though platforming sections than in combat.
    OK BOOMER.

:)

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.