Following Doom Eternal Page 14

• Bichii 25 Mar 2020 11:35:54 2,674 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Malek86 you don't need them. They are mostly hidden collected items to give you a back up if you goto 0 health and it instantly uses up a life when you hit 0 and carry on fighting.
  • TechnoHippy 25 Mar 2020 11:36:57 16,311 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The checkpointing was often slightly better using an extra life compared to actually dying.
  • JamboWayOh 25 Mar 2020 11:44:38 17,782 posts
    Seen 5 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    I love love love the slowing down time rune during a jump. So good.
    Pulling off headshots with is great fun. Honestly this is a slightly different beast to Doom 2016. They're both great games in their own different way. I actually like this one more as I found Doom 2016 ran out of steam near the end. I don't think this game is for everyone but the shooting is still bloody amazing and when you get a hang of all the systems it turns into a brilliant dance of sorts as you start planning moves ahead of what is needed in a battle.
  • wuntyate 25 Mar 2020 11:54:17 14,143 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    Haha. Old!! Although yes I do find it annoying having ice and standard grenade the same button but having to use the d pad to quickly flick. The last thing I want to do during a frantic fight is fanny about trying to flick a button.
    Yup. Stupid old hands. I bloody love the ice grenade though. I've unlocked all the perks for it.
  • Duffking 25 Mar 2020 12:14:00 16,523 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Spare lives feel like a crutch half the time to compensate for those moments where you die 5 seconds into a fight because you got knockbacked into a corner and then couldn't escape past a wall of enemies. I'd rather just not have them in at all.

I feel like the glory kill mechanic breaks down a bit toward the end of the game, there's so many large enemies packed into rooms together that it's impractical to glory kill any of them while the fodder are too easy to accidentally kill instead.

I finished it on UV last night, so summary is:

Positives:
    Looks great, runs amazingly
    Environmental variety much appreciated this time around
    New enemy types are generally pretty fun to fight, marauders aside
    Weapons feel a little more evenly balanced this time
    Weapon secondaries a bit better balanced rather than one obviously being better for every weapon (microwave beam sucks though)
    Once you get used to the combat loop changes things flow really nicely
    At its best the combat encounters are a step above 2016's ones
    Chapter 6 in particular was a highlight with lots of great encounters from start to finish
    Weakpoints on monsters are generally pretty fun to play around, though some of them are a little too restrictive (makyr drones) in how you can approach them
    Once you have a full set of weapons the various combat options you have start to feel less restrictive than they do in the early game and you get a fair bit more freedom to approach things
    Despite the game's presentation, the unlockables and challenges were generally far less annoying to do in this game
    Mastery tokens are a nice addition because frankly I can't be arsed completing the challenges anyway
    The boss around 2/3 through the game was really cool actually
    The slayer gates were some of the most fun fights in the game, aside from the one with a marauder in.

Negatives:
    Too many heavy handed tutorial screens
    Early stages lacking in atmosphere
    Sticky floor areas are stupid and annoying
    Game piles on the new mechanics a bit too quickly at the beginning
    Buff totems are just pointless really, they're just "run around for a bit trying to find the thing to press E on so you can start the encounter"
    Many of the platforming sections in the early levels look ridiculously out of place and just ripped from an entirely different game
    A few of the enemy types are too similar in their behaviours and if the game puts them all into a fight at once it just turns into "run away continually while firing backwards occasionally"
    The bit where the archvile is introduced is handled terribly
    The choice to switch to a cinematic camera angle instead of staying in first person whenever anything that would look cool from first person happens is bizarre
    Should be able to choose whether to use an extra live
    Secret encounters not refilling ammo afterwards is stupid, and it's stupid they use up extra lives which should just be disabled for those fights
    Marauders feel glitchy to fight and the only way to reliably kill them is to cheese them and they look stupid because their animations make them look like they're moving in fast forward
    Marauders ruin every single fight they show up in
    Marauders usually show up right when a level is getting really good
    Knockback effects on enemy attacks tend to stack up a bit too much leading you to sometimes get forced into an inescapable position from only one attack
    Swimming sections...
    Some lame bosses, the penultimate one was just laughably easy and the last one just took fucking forever

When the game's at its very best it's just about better than 2016 was but that's just a bunch of stuff that crops up all too often to take the shine off it all. It's a pretty uneven experience compared to 2016 which was near perfect from start to finish. I'll probably replay this though, maybe I'll look more favourably on it. Unlike 2016 I don't think I'll go back and do nightmare though, I've a feeling this'll be more fun if I knock the difficulty down a bit.
  • DanoFNG 25 Mar 2020 13:37:56 363 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Been loving the game since the slow first one-and-a-bit levels but the swimming sections I've just come to can fuck off.

Edited by DanoFNG at 13:38:10 25-03-2020
  • MrAGSystems 25 Mar 2020 13:39:06 582 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    wuntyate wrote:
    Bichii wrote:
    Haha. Old!! Although yes I do find it annoying having ice and standard grenade the same button but having to use the d pad to quickly flick. The last thing I want to do during a frantic fight is fanny about trying to flick a button.
    Yup. Stupid old hands. I bloody love the ice grenade though. I've unlocked all the perks for it.
    Seeing as there's only the ice grenade and frag, instead of tapping left to switch, it would've made way more sense to bind throwing one to L1 and the other to left.

I'm almost tempted to take the back button attachment out of the box and use it for that alone.
  • Rum_Monkey 26 Mar 2020 00:08:02 352 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Anyone on ps4 had movement issues? Every now and then it's like I get stuck in quicksand and the speed slows right down.
  • MrAGSystems 26 Mar 2020 01:50:57 582 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    @Rum_Monkey Are you walking in purple goo? Because that's literally want it does.
  • D_Mantis 26 Mar 2020 08:29:29 484 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Absolutely loving every second of this game. Such a joy to play! People who complain about the platforming clearly haven't played their fair share of Cod, Battlefield and sundry other linear guff. I accept pacing issues are definitely present, but honestly a game this intelligent deserves to have it's missteps overlooked.

Haven't encountered this tier of level design since.....2016. This, Titanfall 2 and Doom are the crowning FPS achievements of this gen. Enjoy every second of it. Savour it.

Edited by D_Mantis at 10:03:49 26-03-2020
  • wuntyate 26 Mar 2020 08:34:20 14,143 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Met the marauder last night. Hmmm. On one hand, love it. On the other... Hate it. I'll get used to it. It's another way of fighting. Which is good. I actually really struggled until i realised i had time to pump two shots into the git each time, not one. He went down pretty quickly after that.

I love the fact that the game throughout pretty much forces me to use all my weapons. Normally i just stick to one or two favs in these games but I'm really using the entire arsenal.

Edited by wuntyate at 08:48:37 26-03-2020
  • AddyB_ 26 Mar 2020 08:37:00 283 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Beat the priests guardian and returned to earth. Brilliant stuff.
  • Bichii 26 Mar 2020 09:00:11 2,674 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The slayer wasn't much for negotiating with him....
  • Rum_Monkey 26 Mar 2020 09:11:23 352 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    MrAGSystems wrote:
    @Rum_Monkey Are you walking in purple goo? Because that's literally want it does.
    No, haven't come across purple goo yet. I've only played about 20mins and it's happened right from the start of the game. Found a reddit thread with a few having the same issue.
  • AddyB_ 26 Mar 2020 13:32:48 283 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Bichii wrote:
    The slayer wasn't much for negotiating with him....
    I know. It did amuse me the quick execution.
  • The_Partisan_Spy 26 Mar 2020 21:16:43 19 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    I played Doom Eternal for 25 hours and completed 6 missions of the game.
    (Nightmare difficulty)

Here are the review toplines:
    1. Intense and violent FPS game with a particular combat mechanics.
    2. The story is simple and easy to understand.
    3. There is a considerable variety of weapons, skills, combat modes and collectibles.
    4. For full gameplay experience, the game should be played at Nightmare difficulty.
    5. The price tag is fair to offered game content.

Gameplay Overview
    Doom Eternal is FAITHFUL to its roots: guns, demons, violence, gore and an intense FPS gameplay. The game mechanics are set in a way that forces you to play in the RIP AND TEAR style. Shot, move around, swap weapons, use abilities, dash, final blows... You will do all that in every 30 seconds of combat. Playing Doom Eternal is not about standing still or finding cover to shoot at targets. The most effective way to get what you need to survive is by engaging aggressively and killing demons.
    Aside from all the action, there are 10 different items to explore and collect. 6 of them are related to weapons and character upgrades and the rest are lore and cosmetic items. All these items and currency points MAY LOOK COMPLEX to some but after a dozen hours of gameplay, it becomes easier to understand.

If by any chance anyone want to check the full review.

Edited by The_Partisan_Spy at 21:17:14 26-03-2020
  • MrAGSystems 26 Mar 2020 23:50:11 582 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Doom is a violent FPS? Well I never...
  • MrAGSystems 26 Mar 2020 23:50:12 582 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Doom is a violent FPS? Well I never...
  • Tomo 28 Mar 2020 12:37:38 17,421 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I thought I was progressing quickly, but as I've only just met the Marauder, looks like I've a way to go...

And omfg... he can absolutely fuck off. He's just about manageable, until he releases those little homing fire dogs. They are awful.

The purple goo is such an abominable design choice too. How the fuck did that get through.

Honestly, I absolutely love this game at times, but there are so many moments where I'm left scratching my head.
  • Tomo 28 Mar 2020 14:44:57 17,421 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Wow, the second form of the Gladiator boss can absolutely do one. No idea how to dodge it's homing slings - managed to take of about 25% health on my best attempt - so I ended up using Sentinel Armour and did it first time... Meh.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 28 Mar 2020 15:02:25 8,023 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Been making slow progress with this. Work has escalated to hellish levels (no pun intended) and most of what little gaming time I've been able to carve has been spent on co-op MW5. But just managed around 90 minutes.

Really enjoying it for the most part, but just fought the Marauder and I see what people mean about that being a bullshit enemy.
  • MrAGSystems 30 Mar 2020 11:48:59 582 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Just started Taras Nabad (or whatever the fuck it's called) and there's a Marauder sprinting at me with a pack of other baddies.

Nope, I'll go wash the floors instead as that is way more fun.

It's one of the best FPS games ever rolled up with large chunks of greasy, tarry poo.
  • JamboWayOh 30 Mar 2020 12:00:43 17,782 posts
    Seen 5 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Been making slow progress with this. Work has escalated to hellish levels (no pun intended) and most of what little gaming time I've been able to carve has been spent on co-op MW5. But just managed around 90 minutes.

Really enjoying it for the most part, but just fought the Marauder and I see what people mean about that being a bullshit enemy.
    I'm just on the last boss and yeah while I love this game it's quite clear that the Marauder does not fit in the controlled chaos that they've created for combat encounters. It's very much a jarring experience that completely negates all of the rules and systems that they have in place. I do wonder who suggested it's inclusion and how it survived playtesting.
  • JamboWayOh 30 Mar 2020 12:01:35 17,782 posts
    Seen 5 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @MrAGSystems

I thought you said you abandoned it after calling it the 'worst game ever'?

Edited by JamboWayOh at 12:01:46 30-03-2020
  • BigOrkWaaagh 30 Mar 2020 12:15:52 9,204 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I just did a secret encounter where the challenge was to kill a marauder in under 30 seconds. I did it and although it wasn't first time the key is that when he staggers you have enough time to hit him again with the super shotgun. He goes down after about 8 hits from it, so it's eyes go green, blast, he staggers, blast him again, run away and repeat x3. It was a fucking pisser the first few times he showed up but now he's definitely manageable.
  • MrAGSystems 30 Mar 2020 12:18:23 582 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    @JamboWayOh I bought it digitally and am obviously cooped up at home.
  • JamboWayOh 30 Mar 2020 13:05:54 17,782 posts
    Seen 5 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @BigOrkWaaagh

He is manageable but as you get to the end they throw him in busier battles, there's a battle with one near the end and it's populated by endlessly spawning imps and gargoyles. It got a bit annoying. Although I do start shouting FUCK YOU very loudly when I glory kill one.
  • minky-kong 30 Mar 2020 13:06:02 14,528 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've found the best way to deal with marauders is super shotgun when they glow green then quick-switch to the ballista to get a shot of that in when he's staggered.

Starting to warm to the multiplayer now as well. It's much more fun playing as a demon, but there's great pride in actually managing to win a match as the Slayer.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 30 Mar 2020 13:17:13 8,023 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm getting the hang of the marauder as well. I've also done the challenge where you have to down one in 30 seconds. There's a definite rhythm to fighting him and if you get it right, you can keep staggering him and have him dead pretty quickly.

Still don't think it's a great design choice for this game, though. Yes, there's a rhythm to it, but it's not Doom Eternal's rhythm.
  • Duffking 30 Mar 2020 13:50:35 16,523 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah the git gud nerds elsewhere like to harp on about the fact that they're quite easy to deal with when you know how, while ignoring that the reason people complain about them isn't the difficulty (shockingly, we're picking UV and higher because we want a challenge). They seem to think that being able to deal with something magically makes it fun.

Turns out that having an enemy which you have to be basically passive against and fucking wait for their AI to let you hit them is just fundamentally shit and every encounter they show up in is basically just running away from them mopping up everything else first so that you're allowed to fight them. They're like a giant enemy shaped pause button.

Not to mention that they look like shit when you're fighting them because all their animations look like they're playing at 2x speed and they like to randomly glitch out every now and then and just not attack you at all, or in once case I killed one and it just T-Posed for 5 seconds before coming back to life literally invincible.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.