Following Doom Eternal Page 17

Next Last
  • BigOrkWaaagh 4 Apr 2020 12:38:12 9,369 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Rum_Monkey I lost count. On UV, more than 5, less than 10 I would say.
  • quadfather 4 Apr 2020 13:18:26 36,602 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm finding it easier to keep up with this now I have the original doom sounds patched in. When I hear the shotgun, plasma etc, I can kinda rely on that noise or change to a different gun much easier instead of using the wrong bloody weapons all the time.

I've not had a chance to play it much. Only just encountered the mancubus.
  • creepiest-lizard 4 Apr 2020 13:19:43 1,340 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ain't that the way. Got back on it and did him first time.
    I found the ballista quite useful on the git.
  • creepiest-lizard 4 Apr 2020 18:43:35 1,340 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    And now the platforming is starting to annoy me. I'm not against a bit of puzzle platforming to have a break from the madness but the way its implemented here is..I won't say broken but it is very fiddly.
    When I fall to my death it never really feels like its my fault but rather that my character didn't dash or jump in the way I wanted him to.
    Having said all that the game is still fantastic.
  • yegon 4 Apr 2020 22:41:38 6,498 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    About 2/3 though, mixed feelings about it. At times itís awesome, but thereís a lot I donít like about it, which Iím really surprised about given Doom 2016 was close to perfection and just got consistently better the further in you got. It was so good, the first time I completed it, I played it again immediately at higher difficulty, which Iíve only ever done before or since with Halo 1 and the original Deus Ex.

The platforming is obviously annoying but what irritates me more is the bullet sponge enemies and what feels like rock paper scissor combat. Equally, I suppose thereís a strategy to farming armour/health/ammo, but sometimes it feels like a chore and robs the combat of spontaneity.

Plus, PC version needs fixing. Iíve got the hardware to run it at Nightmare settings at high frame rates (at 1440p), it worked great for a short while, but now either crashes on load or ceases to boot. Trawling various forums, Iím not alone. Looks great and runs magnificently on Ultra, but still.

Edited by yegon at 22:46:37 04-04-2020
  • mikew1985 4 Apr 2020 22:55:23 14,718 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think I've liked this more since about half way through, it definitely suffers in terms of the writing vs. 2016 but the gunplay is absolutely brilliant. It took me ages to find that rhythm again but once I did I'm finding the whole thing moving at a clip again. I'm not sure why the front end of the game seems so disappointing but it definitely does.

The lore does not help, it's so po faced and somehow really at odds with 2016 and I can't quite place why.
  • Calo64 6 Apr 2020 23:07:56 31 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    creepiest-lizard wrote:
    There was me thinking that people might have been exaggerating a bit when it comes to the marauder but no. He's cheap and annoying as fuck.
    I had to turn off the game for a bit as it was getting to stamping on the controller and setting it on fire levels of annoying.
    I have a horrible feeling the DLC is based around this guy. like, boss fight arena after boss fight arena. (Colosseum gladiator battle, anyone?)
  • Navi 7 Apr 2020 09:58:58 347 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Finally finished this last night. Great final level, terrible penultimate level. Weirdly lumpy game overall, like two different designers worked on it. The Marauder really is as boring and annoying as people say, and the platforming (and swimming, thankfully only a small bit) is out of place, but the proper fights are as good as always.

Hope they get it together for the next one. I don't care how the doom guy became the doom guy, I just want him to be double hard (and I love lore in game, just in it's right place).
  • quadfather 7 Apr 2020 10:04:06 36,602 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I can't make my mind about about it. I'm only early levels and it sort of clicks, but there's something I can't put my finger on at the moment.
  • mikew1985 8 Apr 2020 23:21:15 14,718 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The marauder is awful.

Just finished it tonight, it was still good overall but doesn't hit the heights of 2016. When it's good, it's exhilarating but it's just a bit uneven.
  • Duffking 9 Apr 2020 10:58:02 16,599 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I did the Master Level in the Arc Base last night on UV, was fun to jump back in. I do feel that as the game gets more hectic the encounter design just turns into "lets just spawn lots of shit" though. In both games it feels as though there's a point they've shown their hand and just have to throw tons of stuff at you.

Was there only one berserk in the whole game? I can't recall seeing any others.
  • Tomo 9 Apr 2020 15:37:31 17,702 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I've just come back to this after getting lost in 4X games. Resumed at Tabas Nabad and had to lower the difficultly from Nightmare. The Marauders are just too fucking irritating for it to be fun at that difficultly level. I managed the first one on the level eventually after about 10 attempts, but after dying to the next one repeatedly, I lowered to UV. And now it all seems relatively straightforward in comparison... bleh. And jesus, adding in swimming so late in the game. What was the fucking point. Dear me.
  • Tomo 9 Apr 2020 15:38:48 17,702 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    That said: Balista on the Marauder is great. Takes it out in about 6 shots or so.
  • TechnoHippy 9 Apr 2020 18:04:58 17,316 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Heh :-) https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/arts-entertainment/man-playing-doom-eternal-for-escape-into-a-brighter-happier-world-20200409195301
  • challenge_hanukkah 17 Apr 2020 16:48:42 12,739 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    For some reason this game likes to turn off HDR in Windows.

Odd.
  • yegon 17 Apr 2020 16:54:14 6,498 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Itís got a few problems like that yeah. HDR has never worked for me, and any gfx settings above Ultra crash the game. Iíve got the hardware, googling shows Iím not alone.

Surprised itís not yet been patched.

Really enjoyed it in the end after some reservations. Doom 2016 still pips it for me though, close to perfect, which this isnít by any means.
  • challenge_hanukkah 17 Apr 2020 16:57:32 12,739 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't mind the game not working, but it can fuck right off changing settings in Windows.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 17 Apr 2020 17:02:19 8,695 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    AMD card?

HDR worked for me (and it's very pretty), but had a few bugs, like the map screen being really dark. I gather it's worse on AMD cards.
  • challenge_hanukkah 17 Apr 2020 17:03:31 12,739 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    No, Nvidia 2080 TI.

I'm leaving it til it's patched.
  • yegon 17 Apr 2020 18:09:26 6,498 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    No, Nvidia 2080 TI.

I'm leaving it til it's patched.
    Same, although Iíve finished it now.

Will play it again though certainly.
  • wuntyate 18 Apr 2020 00:42:23 14,664 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just had to use sentinel armour on floating twat features. On HMP. Fuck me. How can i annihilate everything in Nioh 2 but get spanked in this. I love it as well. I'm just not quick enough for it.

Edit: and done. Bloody hell. Whoever did this on uv let alone nightmare, that's bloody impressive. Thought this was hard as buggery. Brilliant, but hard as buggery. Quite the step up from 2016s Doom. Almost masochistic towards the end there.

Edited by wuntyate at 02:47:41 18-04-2020
  • Bichii 18 Apr 2020 08:13:45 3,092 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Thanks ;)

Yeah it was so much harder than 2016, nightmare on that was a walk in the park by comparison! I did the last two levels of eternal on UV as nightmare was pissing me off too much in the end. Think I'll never bother, especially that bit on the penultimate level were they chuck in the marauder.
  • wuntyate 18 Apr 2020 09:32:52 14,664 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I never got to grips with the marauder to the point i could consistently take him. I can't say he wasn't irritating but thankfully, at least on hmp (not sure about the others) he doesn't show up TOO much. But that last encounter where he shows up then an archvile appears after took me a fair few goes.

I wasn't a massive fan of the boss fights either tbh. I like it just fighting a boss. Not a boss and a million minions each time.

Overall though despite that i can't deny i had a LOT of fun playing it for the majority and was very glad i did.

Just can't believe how hard it was. Wasn't expecting that! Next playthrough I'll be more mentally prepared now i know what's expected of me. First though I'm mopping up missed secrets with various cheats on for fun.

Edited by wuntyate at 10:41:04 18-04-2020
  • MadCaddy13 21 Apr 2020 19:18:56 3,116 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This game is massive, every time I think Iím surely on my last level thereís another one!
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.