Following Doom Eternal Page 20

• BigOrkWaaagh 25 Oct 2020 07:56:41 9,927 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Duffking wrote:
    When it's out, it can only be damaged by the secondary beam-fire thingy on the plasma rifle
    That genuinely sounds fucking shite
    I guess they had to find some way to get people to use that mod.
  • Tomo 25 Oct 2020 08:10:31 18,478 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    The DLC sounds awful. What a shitter of a year it's been when even a Doom game is underwhelming.
  • Malek86 25 Oct 2020 08:31:32 11,271 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Ok, so DOOM had a problem because you only ever used half of your arsenal. But so what? That's the good thing about shooters, they give you more freedom than their linear gameplay would suggest. It goes for almost all shooters, really.

DOOM Eternal took that freedom away. On lower difficulties you can just barely afford to play however you want, and only if you accept that you are going to suffer. On higher difficulties it's effectively impossible, each enemy has their specific strategies to be deal with and straying away from them will only get you killed in seconds. I started on UV and arrived on the third level before finally realizing I had to lower the difficulty. EVen so, I got up to the Super Gore Nest and then gave up because dying so much was simply no fun.

Considering that the DLC apparently got even more like that, I can only wonder what DOOM 3 is going to be like. If we are lucky, they will see their mistake and step back a little. But I doubt it.

Edited by Malek86 at 08:32:21 25-10-2020
  • BigOrkWaaagh 25 Oct 2020 08:34:26 9,927 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I just finished the first part. So far it's going OK but it's like DLC you would have had for something in the 90s where they just dial the main game up to 11 and chuck everything at you from the off. Every encounter so far has many, many, multiple heavies and as someone said already they last a lot longer than in the base game. The one I just did had among other things cyber mancubi, arachnotrons, barons of hell, an arch vile, a buff totem and then when you think you've got everyone, two (count 'em) simultaneous Cyberdemons. I also found a tiny room slightly off the beaten path that immediately bars the exits and spawns a Cyberdemon. So yeah, it's hectic. Those turrets aren't so bad at the minute as I find the aim assist on the sniper mod quite forgiving - I guess it helps that I'm on Xbox. I'm enjoying it so far but I guess I am a bit of a Doom apologist. If you weren't mad on Doom Eternal then this will probably just drive you to hate it even more.
  • Tomo 25 Oct 2020 08:45:32 18,478 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @Malek86

Also it got really good reviews in the press and I think it sold well, so despite the online consensus (I think it fair to say) saying that they overcomplicated Eternal, I fear the next game will also be stuffed to the gills with mechanics and 'stuff'.
  • Malek86 25 Oct 2020 08:54:31 11,271 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Tomo like so many AAA games, sales will have mostly depended on pre-launch hype, especially because the prequel was a hit.

I wonder about word of mouth and post-launch sales though. I think the game dropped in price a bit faster than the previous one. Maybe decisions will also be made depending on whether the DLC will be successful.

I was surprised at reviewers saying the game was better though. Horses for courses and all that, but I didn't think they were so hardcore.

Edited by Malek86 at 08:54:57 25-10-2020
  • Darth_Flibble 25 Oct 2020 09:47:23 4,629 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    People are spot on about how took the freedom away from how to kill enemies (add in slowing it down and some naff platforming didn't help)

DE is not a terrible game but with Doom 2016 as soon as I completed it, I started replaying it (and also got it again on ps4 to replay a few years later as sold the xbox one version) With this, I replayed a level or 2 but sold the game shortly after.

DE sold well at launch because of the last game but the game quickly had a lot of 2nd hand copies about.
  • Rogueywon 25 Oct 2020 09:53:08 10,178 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @BigOrkWaaagh Yeah, they really, really like to chuck a couple of Cyber Mancubi into every fight, to act as big damage sponges. There does come a point in the bigger battles where "rip and tear" tips over into "snooze and snore".
  • BigOrkWaaagh 25 Oct 2020 10:17:07 9,927 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Rogueywon The thing I hate about them is you're 'supposed' to smash them with a blood punch then hit them with something else. But if you're close enough to punch them you're going to die from their poison. Next to the arch vile they are the enemy I dread most, not least because as you say they are now everywhere.
  • Rogueywon 25 Oct 2020 10:22:57 10,178 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    On a more positive note, I really liked the visual design of the first of the three levels. It has a proper dark-industrial vibe going on that feels properly Doom-y.

Just a pity that the second of the levels is a butt-ugly foggy swamp.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 25 Oct 2020 10:55:58 9,927 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oh we're buffing Marauders now? OK then.
  • Rogueywon 25 Oct 2020 11:27:15 10,178 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    BigOrkWaaagh wrote:
    Oh we're buffing Marauders now? OK then.
    I bet that was the single most requested feature for the expansion. Buffed Marauders.
  • Duffking 25 Oct 2020 11:39:13 16,692 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I think the thing that quietly bugs me the most in this game is the dodge. They slowed the movement down so much in order to add it. Wish we could just move as t a reasonable speed instead.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 25 Oct 2020 14:23:43 9,927 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah OK the swamp level fucking sucks. It's like playing Turok again except hidden amongst the fog are explosives and those tentacles that you could avoid fairly easily in the main game when you could see them.
  • TechnoHippy 25 Oct 2020 14:33:44 18,075 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Gave the expansion another try and actually won the fight that defeated me last time, only for the next door to unlock. I assume that something's still alive somewhere, but I can't find it.
  • Duffking 25 Oct 2020 16:24:13 16,692 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Do you get the sword in the expansion? It was basically a delete archvile button in the main campaign.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 25 Oct 2020 17:04:09 9,927 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Duffking I would guess I'm halfway through and no not yet. And yes I used it for the same thing, so they were never an issue for me before, now I'm having to actually fight them!
  • Rogueywon 25 Oct 2020 17:23:45 10,178 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    There's no sword in it.

The third mission (out of three) is a little shorter than the first two.
  • Duffking 25 Oct 2020 17:32:56 16,692 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm reminded of how awful the intro of archviles in the main campaing was.

"Hey, so we've taught you at this point that seeing red auras on shit means there's a buff totem active. Here's some enemies with red auras! Also, whenever we introduce new enemies with interesting effects we usually have a full screen tutorial. There's actually no buff totem here, but a new enemy without a tutorial window that gives the buff totem effect, and we've spawned them somewhere you won't have seen them appear, have fun".

Pretty much all you had to go on was the lack of a "buff totem nearby" message.
  • Tomo 25 Oct 2020 18:22:46 18,478 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    The buff totems really sucked. As did the tutorials, which felt very jarring and dampened the impact of the new enemies.

Ugh I blasted through DE and had a lot of fun doing it but boy do I hate it.

Edited by Tomo at 18:22:57 25-10-2020
  • BigOrkWaaagh 25 Oct 2020 19:15:38 9,927 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oh buff totems spawn mid fight in the DLC also. Just before Cyberdemons in at least one case :)

Edited by BigOrkWaaagh at 19:26:03 25-10-2020
  • Duffking 25 Oct 2020 20:00:20 16,692 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    My favourite tutorial was the one where having spent an entire level building up to a new enemy, then a minute long cutscene before the enemy fight finally begins, you get .5 of a second and then a full screen tutorial explaining how to beat it.
  • Bazooklad 25 Oct 2020 20:15:05 149 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    No purple goo - but fog, thick fog and exploding pod plants. ID have doubled down on pushing the player forward into the fray - hard.
  • FatsoJetson 26 Oct 2020 17:43:00 408 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    FatsoJetson wrote:
    Can anyone offer advice on fixing a download problem, seeing as Steam Support hasn't responded for more than 24 hours. Here's my problem:

I preloaded game 48 hours in advance
    Day before launch, a 37GB download file appeared
    I tried to download it, but it wouldn't
    Tried on launch day, only got as far as 21GB then crapped out
    Cancelled download, uninstalled game, tried re-downloading
    For some reason, new game download started at 13GB, still crapped out at 21GB
    Cancelled download, uninstalled game, cleared Steam download cache, rebooted computer
    New game download again started at 13GB, stopped at 21GB again
    Cancelled download, uninstalled game, reinstalled Steam, cleared Steam download cache, rebooted computer
    New game download again started at 13GB, stopped at 21GB yet again

I honestly don't know what else to try.
    Just trying to download Doom Eternal again for the new DLC. I'd previously played, completed and deleted the game. But, when trying to reinstall, this problem came up again when trying to install to my main drive. Switched to a different drive, and the download seems to be working ok.

The problem seems to be that Steam is convinced I have 13GB of Doom Eternal already downloaded on my main drive, despite me clearing the download cache and the Doom Eternal folder from the Steam directory.

Why would this be? Anyway to fix it? Do I actually have a 13GB, partially-downloaded version of Doom Eternal somewhere on my disk, clogging up space?
  • BigOrkWaaagh 26 Oct 2020 22:24:25 9,927 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just finished the DLC. First level was actually kind of fun. After that it becomes basically everything people hated about Doom Eternal magnified. The ghosts are just... oh my god.
  • Bazooklad 27 Oct 2020 13:06:45 149 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    OK so that was different - not sure if it's a good introduction for those buying the dlc as a stand alone.

If the only way to improve or change the meta of gameplay is to ramp everything up to 11 and then double down on that.

I wonder if it was compensate for a short-ish (part 1)campaign?

When it clicks it is great the momentum and combat loop really gets the adrenaline going. It is just marred by some misjudged gameplay designs and stubborness.

Plus the fucking platforming sections could be a little less pithy, especially as it really puts the brakes on the game.

Edited by Bazooklad at 13:08:01 27-10-2020
  • Duffking 3 Nov 2020 01:09:47 16,692 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Up to Taras Nabad and wow, I forgot how fucking annoying this level is. God.

The extra lives feel like a blatant crutch for how every time you die it just feels like bullshit. Dead because no fodder spawned to chainsaw, dead because enemies inexplicably died and didn't drop health instead of becoming glory killable, dead because you were at max health and armour and got wiped in .5 seconds flat, dead because enemies teleported next to you and you died because you can't move.

The 3 glory kills on pain elementals challenge is low key a perfect example of how annoying the game can be too. Shoot one twice with arbalest special and hey, you can GK it. Do it to another one? Nah, it's dead, sorry. Ok, fine you can GK this one. Oops! We played the same animation despite you doing it from above when the other was from below. Ah well. No challenge for you.

Edited by Duffking at 01:18:18 03-11-2020
  • Duffking 7 Nov 2020 02:54:02 16,692 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Did the first dlc level. Actually didn't hate it.

I expect the second to be worse.
  • Duffking 8 Nov 2020 00:32:03 16,692 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Stillkinda enjoying it? But the new rune that is "kill the enemy that killed you to get your life back" literally doesn't work. It either doesn't highlight the enemy, or you kill them and their corpse stays highlighted andt he timer keeps going.
  • Duffking 8 Nov 2020 02:45:33 16,692 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    So, DLC done.

I don't agree with Roguey's takes on the new enemies. I found the Turret and Blood Makyr total non events, tbh. The latter of which might as well not have existed for me, they barely did anything most fights and when they were about I just popped them in the head with the ballista.

The spirits on the other hand are awful. They basically turn stuff into buffed enemies, with tons of extra health, double movement speed, cannot be faltered, weakspots are not destroyable etc. And then you have to kill them when they pop out with the worst mod in the game while leaving yourself wide open as you do it. Really dumb.

Shit, shit final boss too.

Plus points are that it is much more inventive with the arenas, lots of fun fights in interesting arenas that force you to fight stuff in different ways. The main game didn't do enough of that and it's this kind of thing that they should be doing if they want to make you step out of your comfort zone with fights, rather than be restrictive in terms of only a few weapons being effective. 3 quite long missions with a lot of good fights. It spends long enough being good that I actually largely enjoyed the thing, surprisingly. The game's at it's best once you have everything available to you as it doesn't feel as restrictive as the early stages, and the interesting arenas stop it being a slog like the last missions of the main game.

Also, the double marauder fight was a bit of a non event in all honesty, their pathfinding is bad enough that you can just separate them. And the buffed marauder seemed to have the same length of stun between hits so also went down pretty easy.

Edited by Duffking at 02:47:37 08-11-2020
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.