Following Doom Eternal Page 21

Next Last
  • the_milkybar_kid 8 Nov 2020 15:50:42 8,348 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Started the main game last night. It's a bit of a mess in comparison to Doom 2016, isn't it? Only played about half an hour and already hate the climbing bits. An the same 1 animation of sticking the spiders leg through its eye.

The action is alright but I'm constantly having to watch ammo and running out. Feels like a massive step already.

/hot take.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 8 Nov 2020 15:54:26 9,874 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    the_milkybar_kid wrote:
    Started the main game last night. It's a bit of a mess in comparison to Doom 2016, isn't it? Only played about half an hour and already hate the climbing bits. An the same 1 animation of sticking the spiders leg through its eye.

The action is alright but I'm constantly having to watch ammo and running out. Feels like a massive step already.

/hot take.
    I felt the same at first honestly, but I did end up really enjoying it. It never reaches the heights of Doom 16 but it does get better when you unlock everything. The climbing always sucks though, I felt like I died as much from falling of things as in combat. The kill animations are set depending on where you hit from - left, right, behind, in front or above.

Edited by BigOrkWaaagh at 15:55:57 08-11-2020
  • Bichii 11 Nov 2020 20:20:08 3,795 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    the_milkybar_kid wrote:

/hot take.
    What's wrong with ammo management? If you have loads of ammo it gets full quickly.

Part of the whole thing is that combat flow between switching guns, balancing grenades, blood punch, flame thrower and chain saw. It should never be too bad if you are managing your powers.

As for the one animation to put spider leg through eye each demon has four or five glory kills depending on which angle you execute the attack from.

Anyway I'm about half way through my second playthrough and apart from a few frustrating jumping wall sections this is bloody brilliant! Almost forgot how these two doom games are peerless when it comes to pure fps action.

Edited by Bichii at 20:22:03 11-11-2020
  • Bichii 16 Nov 2020 21:51:55 3,795 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    This is a technical marvel. I'm nearing the end and the graphics are incredible AND 60fps on day one PS4. How!?

Ps the marauder is the shittest enemy ever put into a decent game. Totally ruins every moment he is in. I guess id don't read Reddit etc or they wouldn't have kept him in the dlc.
  • Rogueywon 16 Nov 2020 22:16:34 10,023 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Bichii I have no idea what technical magic lurks beneath the surface in Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal. They both seem to manage a trade-off point between image quality and performance that nobody else can come close to. 4k/ultra/60fps is possible on quite modest PCs.
  • Bichii 16 Nov 2020 22:24:47 3,795 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah it's madness. To me there isn't even a trade off..on PS4 the visually look up there with the best looking games out there and there are dozens of demons on screen yet it still keeps 60fps!? This is my first run in hdr as well and it makes it look even more magnificent.
  • the_milkybar_kid 17 Nov 2020 09:00:47 8,348 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    the_milkybar_kid wrote:

/hot take.
    What's wrong with ammo management? If you have loads of ammo it gets full quickly.

Part of the whole thing is that combat flow between switching guns, balancing grenades, blood punch, flame thrower and chain saw. It should never be too bad if you are managing your powers.

As for the one animation to put spider leg through eye each demon has four or five glory kills depending on which angle you execute the attack from.

Anyway I'm about half way through my second playthrough and apart from a few frustrating jumping wall sections this is bloody brilliant! Almost forgot how these two doom games are peerless when it comes to pure fps action.
    I wouldn't usually mind ammo management, but not in Doom. I'm on one of the harder difficulties so maybe I should bump it down a bit, but conserving ammo, reading constant how to guides and parkour climbing isn't what I come to Doom for. I've got to the Arctic level so I'm quite early on I think, but in comparison to 2016, it's got a terrible flow to it.

The music and graphics are still top though. Running it on the 3080 maxed out, all games should be 60fps or above.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 17 Nov 2020 09:06:18 9,874 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    the_milkybar_kid wrote:
    Bichii wrote:
    the_milkybar_kid wrote:

/hot take.

I wouldn't usually mind ammo management, but not in Doom. I'm on one of the harder difficulties so maybe I should bump it down a bit, but conserving ammo, reading constant how to guides and parkour climbing isn't what I come to Doom for. I've got to the Arctic level so I'm quite early on I think, but in comparison to 2016, it's got a terrible flow to it.

The music and graphics are still top though. Running it on the 3080 maxed out, all games should be 60fps or above.
    I don't understand this at all. Ammo management has been a thing since Doom 1 and was probably even more difficult back then too. In this and 2016 you chainsaw something and you get ammo for every gun you have. In the early Dooms if there's no shells around you can't use your shotgun.
  • Rogueywon 17 Nov 2020 09:08:26 10,023 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @BigOrkWaaagh The old Doom games gave you pretty big pockets for ammo. 50 shotguns shells - expandable to 100 if you find a backpack - will last quite a while. Yes, ammo management was a big part of the game, but you didn't typically have to switch guns multiple times per fight due to going dry on a particular kind of ammo.

Doom Eternal absolutely needed ammo management, but the shallow pockets did hurt it. Nothing fun about having to skip around the edges of a fight looking for a weak enemy I can take out with a single unit of chainsaw ammo.
  • Bichii 17 Nov 2020 09:35:43 3,795 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Ammo management becomes less and less an issue as you progress as you upgrade your ammo. I'm now on full ammo and of course I still switch constantly but that's more to do with using the right weapon for the right demon. :).

Still the marauder, Jesus Christ. I nearly lost it last night when I died maybe to the penultimate boss. For anyone who has beaten it knows it's a long engagement and about three times in a row I missed the final punch and died in the end and had to do the entire battle again. Zzzz. It can be so awkward on pad, I imagine moments like this wouldn't happen much on mouse.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 17 Nov 2020 09:39:11 9,874 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Bichii Definitely make sure you get the DLC, there is at least one section with 2 marauders and one section with a buffed marauder that you can't debuff.
  • Bichii 17 Nov 2020 09:54:07 3,795 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    You'd think maybe id software don't check the likes of Reddit. I think if they did maybe they'd realise everyone thinks he is shit and they wouldn't double down on him, maybe just completely remove him from the game he is that bad. They should come onto this forum and ask us how to make part two better.
  • Duffking 17 Nov 2020 14:45:37 16,684 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Reddit is full of people who want you to be impressed that they managed to beat a game that millions of other people also beat and thus have convinced themselves that finding Marauders boring is actually a git gud situation, so they actually love the Marauders.

Those DLC encounters are kind of a non event though, their pathfinding kinda sucks so you still kinda just fight them one at a time and they have the same stun duration while buffed so it doesn't really change much (and you fight it 1 on 1). It's the Spirits that suck in the DLC.

Re: ammo management, Doom/2 don't really have any, aside from maybe early in Ep 3. Strictly speaking there's not that much management in this one once you realise that all the low tier demons spawn infinitely because you're meant to just treat them as chainsaw fodder (fuel recharges automatically) rather than actual threats.
  • Malek86 20 Nov 2020 00:21:36 11,183 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Rumors flying around that the Switch version may have been canceled.

https://twitter.com/SpawnWaveMedia/status/1329579032053157888

Of course it could also be that it's only coming out on the eShop instead.
  • Malek86 20 Nov 2020 11:59:07 11,183 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    Rumors flying around that the Switch version may have been canceled.

https://twitter.com/SpawnWaveMedia/status/1329579032053157888

Of course it could also be that it's only coming out on the eShop instead.
    Bethesda seems to have confirmed that the game is still coming out on digital store, while the physical release has indeed been canceled.
  • Duffking 20 Nov 2020 12:02:04 16,684 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Wouldn't be surprised if it had, the original game was an impressive port but not a great way to play it. Eternal is a more demanding game again.

But possibly just pivoting to digital only, half the game wasn't on the cart last time either anyway.

Edited by Duffking at 12:02:26 20-11-2020
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.