• Dirtbox 20 Mar 2020 08:14:15 91,335 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Kids these days.

Edited by Dirtbox at 08:16:49 20-03-2020
  • FatsoJetson 20 Mar 2020 08:36:00 405 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Anyone else having problem with running this on Steam? I pre-loaded two days ago, then a 37.4GB download file appeared yesterday. Tried downloading it but it wouldn't go, figured I had to wait for launch maybe. Now, this morning, it gets halfway through the download then freezes, stops, restarts, freezes, etc.

Any idea on solutions?
  • JamboWayOh 20 Mar 2020 08:39:12 18,736 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Still no key received from cdkeys, seems they've shit the bed on this one as a lot of people are complaining. Requested a refund and bought off the xbox store.
  • Dirtbox 20 Mar 2020 08:42:51 91,335 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    FatsoJetson wrote:
    Anyone else having problem with running this on Steam? I pre-loaded two days ago, then a 37.4GB download file appeared yesterday. Tried downloading it but it wouldn't go, figured I had to wait for launch maybe. Now, this morning, it gets halfway through the download then freezes, stops, restarts, freezes, etc.

Any idea on solutions?
    It takes a fair while to unpack, and steam is getting quite battered at the moment.

I noticed Bethesda's servers are down too, so no multiplayer and none of that invade other peoples games nonsense.
  • FatsoJetson 20 Mar 2020 08:47:13 405 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    FatsoJetson wrote:

Any idea on solutions?
    It takes a fair while to unpack, and steam is getting quite battered at the moment.

I noticed Bethesda's servers are down too, so no multiplayer and none of that invade other peoples games nonsense.
    Could be that, maybe, but it looked like it was trying to redownload the entire thing. I uninstalled and started a new install and when the download kicked in it showed 16GB downloaded already. Strange. Anyway, seems to be downloading fine now. Hopefully we don't get hung up on "unpacking" later.
  • HookJaw 20 Mar 2020 08:49:16 269 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    So general word on Doom Eternal is that it's.....a chaotic mess?
  • Dirtbox 20 Mar 2020 08:50:59 91,335 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    It starts poorly, improves, then becomes fairly fun.

Edited by Dirtbox at 08:51:13 20-03-2020
  • RevolvingKenneth 20 Mar 2020 08:55:53 68 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    MrAGSystems wrote:
    Console just got so loud it woke up my housemate. Fuck this game already.

MrAGSystems wrote:
    Really not feeling this first stage. 2016 had a much more logical and enjoyable introduction.

I've only climbed the first wall and that mechanic is fucking horrible already.
    LOL. Typical Fuzzy! Seriously get a new hobby, modern gaming really isn't for you.

Maybe find something you'll enjoy, like petrol bombing gypsy caravans.
  • MrAGSystems 20 Mar 2020 08:56:36 835 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    @RevolvingKenneth Oh get fucked you cunt.

Who the fuck are you anyway?

Edited by MrAGSystems at 08:57:12 20-03-2020
  • dominalien 20 Mar 2020 09:00:03 9,536 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    My PS4 Pro is very loud. I haven't cleaned it yet, but judging by the way the air intakes look on my server which is just next to it it's a wonder it still works. It's a very good console, but pretending it's quiet is really silly.
  • FatsoJetson 20 Mar 2020 09:02:56 405 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    FatsoJetson wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    FatsoJetson wrote:

Any idea on solutions?

Could be that, maybe, but it looked like it was trying to redownload the entire thing. I uninstalled and started a new install and when the download kicked in it showed 16GB downloaded already. Strange. Anyway, seems to be downloading fine now. Hopefully we don't get hung up on "unpacking" later.
    Spoke too soon. Download has now stopped entirely at 22.4GB.
  • wuntyate 20 Mar 2020 09:05:00 14,500 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Reading this thread has pushed me right off the fence I was precariously on into "not buy" land. Sounds like they've doubled down on all I hated originally with the arcady feel, platforming, lack of atmosphere and arena fights. Pity. Definitely not for me then.
  • Carlo 20 Mar 2020 09:15:42 21,186 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    RevolvingKenneth wrote:
    MrAGSystems wrote:
    Console just got so loud it woke up my housemate. Fuck this game already.

MrAGSystems wrote:
    Really not feeling this first stage. 2016 had a much more logical and enjoyable introduction.

I've only climbed the first wall and that mechanic is fucking horrible already.
    LOL. Typical Fuzzy! Seriously get a new hobby, modern gaming really isn't for you.

Maybe find something you'll enjoy, like petrol bombing gypsy caravans.
    You selling it then mate, as it's so shit
  • MrAGSystems 20 Mar 2020 09:21:39 835 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    The platforming is so bad it's embarrassing. Genuinely, what the fuck what were they thinking.

I'm on the second proper stage and it feels like it's been made by a different team altogether. They've completely missed what made 2016 so enjoyable. "Low ammo" seems to be permanently emblazoned on the screen.

The biggest problem is it just feels horrible to control. I played 2016 for a bit last night just before this unlocked and it feels so much poorer, enemies are so much harder (and much less enjoyable) to track. The camera and movement feel completely off.

I'll give it a bit more time but I feel like I'll be posting in "recently abandoned games" before the day is out.
  • Dirtbox 20 Mar 2020 09:22:52 91,335 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I will say this, it has a strategic angle that I wasn't anticipating, you have to balance how you kill stuff depending on your ammo and what you need or have at any given time. It's quite clever in that it gives you a hoard of killable stuff, but only a couple of ways to successfully navigate it without skipping a beat, or sitting around waiting for your chainsaw to magic some fuel into it's tank so you can carry on. This will of course only last for the first play through as replaying just picks you up from where you finished the game at, but still, it's a thoughtful inclusion that adds some satisfaction for more twitchy players.

Dunno if anyone ever played Blood, but parts remind me of how that did something similar.

Edited by Dirtbox at 09:24:36 20-03-2020
  • HookJaw 20 Mar 2020 09:34:38 269 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    MrAGSystems wrote:
    The platforming is so bad it's embarrassing. Genuinely, what the fuck what were they thinking.

I'm on the second proper stage and it feels like it's been made by a different team altogether. They've completely missed what made 2016 so enjoyable. "Low ammo" seems to be permanently emblazoned on the screen.

The biggest problem is it just feels horrible to control. I played 2016 for a bit last night just before this unlocked and it feels so much poorer, enemies are so much harder (and much less enjoyable) to track. The camera and movement feel completely off.

I'll give it a bit more time but I feel like I'll be posting in "recently abandoned games" before the day is out.
    A patch should hopefully solve the control issue.

You should have played Metro Exodus on its day of release. The input lag and camera control made the game unplayable.
  • Derblington 20 Mar 2020 09:57:36 32,900 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    I will say this, it has a strategic angle that I wasn't anticipating, you have to balance how you kill stuff depending on your ammo and what you need or have at any given time. It's quite clever in that it gives you a hoard of killable stuff, but only a couple of ways to successfully navigate it without skipping a beat, or sitting around waiting for your chainsaw to magic some fuel into it's tank so you can carry on. This will of course only last for the first play through as replaying just picks you up from where you finished the game at, but still, it's a thoughtful inclusion that adds some satisfaction for more twitchy players.

Dunno if anyone ever played Blood, but parts remind me of how that did something similar.
    Yeah, they’re really emphasizing the aggressive playstyle that they want you to use. It was present in 2016 but far more optional, whereas here you need to get on board pretty fast.
  • Bichii 20 Mar 2020 10:01:06 2,869 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah on nightmare if you stop you're dead, these later levels are carnage! I highly recommend everyone try and get as many secrets each level as possible and try and do the mission challenges are you'll need all the upgrades asap.
  • MrAGSystems 20 Mar 2020 10:01:47 835 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    HookJaw wrote:
    MrAGSystems wrote:

A patch should hopefully solve the control issue.

You should have played Metro Exodus on its day of release. The input lag and camera control made the game unplayable.
    I thought 2033 was almost unplayable. Last Last light was passable.

Bugger all point to making these incredible worlds if they don't nail the fundamentals.

Edited by MrAGSystems at 10:02:21 20-03-2020
  • MrAGSystems 20 Mar 2020 10:03:13 835 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Jump, jump, airdash, airdash, (airdash recharge) airdash.

What the fuck were they thinking?
  • Dirtbox 20 Mar 2020 10:05:27 91,335 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @Derblington I dunno if it was to anything like this extent, 2016 had a certain flow to a majority of the gameplay, but this is far more focused and deliberate about it, drip feeding just enough to squeak through if you do it just so. You can casual the shit out of it and fart about trying to hide behind boxes for a half hour if you want, or clear the area in 30 seconds. Took me a little while to realise as most areas seemed quite chaotic at first glance, but there's definitely method to the madness, and tackling it the wrong way gets you killed fast on nightmare.

Edited by Dirtbox at 10:06:33 20-03-2020
  • Dirtbox 20 Mar 2020 10:06:05 91,335 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    MrAGSystems wrote:
    Jump, jump, airdash, airdash, (airdash recharge) airdash.

What the fuck were they thinking?
    Are you not very good at it?
  • quadfather 20 Mar 2020 10:10:37 36,400 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    lol
  • Malek86 20 Mar 2020 10:18:33 9,985 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Wow, ok, that's not good to hear. I know some people who absolutely swear by Blood, but I didn't like how it seemed designed to kill you in an instant and forced you to switch between super-conservative play and utter bloodbath at a whim. It wasn't bad, but it was certainly infuriating more often than not.

Only for the first episode, mind. For some reason, the other two episodes were more reined back, like the devs decided that the shareware episode had to be the most annoying one.

It was a Monolith telltale sign too. Shogo, while good enough, suffered from a similar issue: kill fast, die faster.

Edited by Malek86 at 10:20:14 20-03-2020
  • Dirtbox 20 Mar 2020 10:23:44 91,335 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    It's probably worth bearing in mind I'm playing this on the hardest level, which isn't even close to holding a candle to Blood's hardest level. Actually I'm not sure anything is. But this is the good parts of Blood, not the fml just kill me parts.

Edited by Dirtbox at 10:28:46 20-03-2020
  • Duffking 20 Mar 2020 10:29:09 16,582 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    One thing I was worries about from the earlier footage was that instead of giving you a ton of options and letting you approach things how you want to, there is a very correct and incorrect way to do every fight. Instead of being a sandbox it's become a bit more of a puzzle box now.
  • Duffking 20 Mar 2020 10:30:21 16,582 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @b-rk what's wrong with seeing his face?
  • Dirtbox 20 Mar 2020 10:33:55 91,335 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Duffking wrote:
    One thing I was worries about from the earlier footage was that instead of giving you a ton of options and letting you approach things how you want to, there is a very correct and incorrect way to do every fight. Instead of being a sandbox it's become a bit more of a puzzle box now.
    Entirely dependent on the difficulty.
  • HookJaw 20 Mar 2020 10:34:05 269 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    @MrAGSystems I've gone back to Metro Exodus a year after release....and it's superb! Definitely one of the best FPSs in a LONG time. Fucking horrendous without the patches, though.
  • Duffking 20 Mar 2020 10:40:33 16,582 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Duffking wrote:
    Entirely dependent on the difficulty.
    Yeah it makes me think that every reviewer calling it more of the same was playing on one of the easy settings because on uv and nightmare it's a totally different beast.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.