Reasons to be Cheerful Page 2

Next Last
  • rare_uk 21 Mar 2020 20:22:02 3,626 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Another reason to be cheerful:
    no more awkward fist pump, high five, shake hand assessments/judgement if too weak

Edited by rare_uk at 20:22:44 21-03-2020
  • thelzdking 21 Mar 2020 20:36:34 10,020 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I just won $5 on a scratchcard.
  • quadfather 21 Mar 2020 20:38:15 36,416 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    Good call on the music. I might get my guitar out again and get back to to (piss poor) standard.

I have been meaning to play the piano more regularly too.
    Yeah man, definitely do it!
  • quadfather 21 Mar 2020 20:48:57 36,416 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:
    Honestly, genuine lol here. I'm with a mate at mine and we're seasoned pub goers and losing it slightly because we're a bit pissed and high and missing the pub and I showed him this thread and your post and we've just been pissing ourselves :D
  • EMarkM 21 Mar 2020 20:59:01 4,922 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    @EMarkM

Haha

Doesn't matter though does it, music is music, whether it's one of your fancy pants violins or some good old down to earth saucepans :)
    Bloody well exactly that.

Badum tish!

(Clang)

Bollocks.
  • Mr_Sleep 21 Mar 2020 21:17:51 23,211 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Funny thing is that before all this I had just decided I would work on becoming a guitar teacher for a number of reasons including that I had a part time job and I was going to use my spare time to pursue improving my levels enough to teach. Now that is going to become my focus; get everything in place to either do remote lessons or be ready for when this blows over.

I am also starting a podcast 😀
  • challenge_hanukkah 21 Mar 2020 21:42:19 12,663 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I want to mong fish.
  • richardiox 21 Mar 2020 21:47:32 8,437 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Without really thinking about it or planning it, it's now been 5 days since I've had a cigarette. Been a smoker for 21 years. Haven't even had a vape. Haven't smoked weed for nearly 3 weeks (used to smoke most days)

my "lockdown stockpile" has 50g tobacco and a shit load of vape juice as well as 14g of skunk weed and it's looking like it will all go untouched.

Who would have thought a rampant respiratory disease would lead to quitting smoking?!
  • Syrette 21 Mar 2020 21:54:43 50,556 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Had a delightful walk today - really cheered us up
  • thelzdking 21 Mar 2020 21:59:28 10,020 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    thelzdking wrote:
    Honestly, genuine lol here. I'm with a mate at mine and we're seasoned pub goers and losing it slightly because we're a bit pissed and high and missing the pub and I showed him this thread and your post and we've just been pissing ourselves :D
    :D

The thing is that I never win on scratchcards, so it is a legitimately happy moment!
  • Carlo 21 Mar 2020 22:23:27 21,225 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Productivity has gone up drastically for me.

I took a course (all remotely now) and sat the exam this morning, passing it. My first non-IT related exam for about 6 years.

I delidded my 8700k last night, which had been on my to-do list for a few weeks.

And I've cracked open that box of T'Au Pathfinders and started building them.

Might start painting them tomorrow.
  • Frogofdoom 21 Mar 2020 22:25:43 16,269 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Will be easier to find places to park soon.
  • Syrette 21 Mar 2020 22:47:16 50,556 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    thelzdking wrote:
    Get in
  • LoneWolf80 21 Mar 2020 22:49:42 119 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    @Syrette Had to read that twice !
  • quadfather 21 Mar 2020 23:09:42 36,416 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    thelzdking wrote:
    :D

The thing is that I never win on scratchcards, so it is a legitimately happy moment!
    Truly strange times :)
  • Your-Mother 21 Mar 2020 23:17:20 4,093 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:
    I won a $25 cinema voucher. Which expires in a month.
  • quadfather 21 Mar 2020 23:18:41 36,416 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    eBay it! Someone will buy it
  • Armoured_Bear 22 Mar 2020 00:11:08 28,701 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    So, strange times, yes. But, it's not the end of the world. I'm sure we can find some reasons to be cheerful.

- Corona might be the catalyst for real change environmentally and socially.
    - Working from home could become the norm for many people, even once this eventually passes. This in turn would see a reduction in cars on the road and the resultant pollution.
    - Governments and their people might realise how fragile the systems that prop up our civilisations really are and finally acknowledge the true disparity between the haves and the have-nots and how at the mercy of external factors someone's (mis)fortune and status can be.
    - Nature and animal welfare may end up being given more respect, with tighter laws preventing mankind from fucking with the natural balance of things (I can dream).
    - Some people you hate might die, *fingers crossed for my neighbour* (joking, probably).
    - Brexit might never happen at this rate and in theory if there was another vote in two years the results could be very different (yes this is a disturbing pipe dream).
    - In some weird way, much like a forest fire sparking new growth and change, the inevitable destruction of the economy could result in a new, better economy with an emphasis on clean, renewable energy, rather than the fossil fuels of old.
    - The NHS might actually be properly looked after from now on.

I'm sure I had some others, but I can't think of them at the moment. But yeah, it'll be alright in the end. Famous last words.
    I admire your positivity but I can't see a single one of those happening, in a year we'll be back to the good old Brexit-fuck-the-environment-who-needs-experts-utopia .
  • OnlyJoeKing 22 Mar 2020 00:29:31 1,055 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Here's mine:

Life is a test - full of little challenges. Now, right now, is a huge, universal challenge for everyone.

What an opportunity! So many elements of life have been thrown a curve ball. What a chance to lead, to be positive, to take a constructive approach.

We all have the same opportunity. A great leveller. A chance to look back once it's done and think, yeah, I did alright.

I'm lucky enough to be not too badly affected yet, so wouldn't slight anyone who's not feeling like this. But that's how I want to go at it.
  • Mola_Ram 22 Mar 2020 01:07:11 23,552 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The libraries that I work at are closed, but I will still have a job at them, and I am super grateful for that. And I went into work on Friday, and finally had time to do library things that I never otherwise have time for: shelving, perfect ordering, weeding.

It was fucking HEAVEN. One of the best days of work I've had in ages, and all it took was a global pandemic. :p
  • dominalien 22 Mar 2020 10:26:43 9,549 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Most businesses would function much better without customers, if only they could make money appear out of thin air.

My experience at work last week is very similar to yours. I did many things I never have time for. I won’t be able to afford food soon, but my productivity is through the roof.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 22 Mar 2020 12:18:43 19,435 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Almost as if Ozymandias himself planned it, the virus has already done more to facilitate peace between Israel and Palestine than any political process has done for decades. Likud, PA and Hamas are all collaborating for a unified plan across the regions. Likud are also likely to form a unified government with the left wing in lieu of elections. Israel are planning to allow Palestinian key workers to live in Israel, reducing the need for constant crossing of the border, to protect Gaza. Plus other titbits like terrorism funding drying up, Israeli medication and goods being more widely distributed in the surrounding regions etc.

Obviously an incredibly long way to go but these are major steps forward, and the longer this all goes on the more progress is likely to be made.
  • Lukus 24 Mar 2020 22:24:32 23,136 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    There definitely has to be something said for this putting certain things into perspective.

I'm enjoying various reports of rivers and canals running clearer and cities having less pollution.

On a different note, whilst I've loved photography since I was a kid, I've not done any videography since university, so I'm gonna start a video project whilst I have the time. Nothing fancy, but just playing around with my equipment and editing together some nice shots of nature from out and about.
  • Lukus 31 Mar 2020 18:50:46 23,136 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Also, this is amazing https://youtu.be/Aq-uCJtN9IY
  • TechnoHippy 31 Mar 2020 19:01:00 17,046 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    Also, this is amazing https://youtu.be/Aq-uCJtN9IY
    The naked man trying to help me lose weight?
  • Lukus 31 Mar 2020 19:02:34 23,136 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    If that helps, yes.
  • TechnoHippy 31 Mar 2020 19:03:46 17,046 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    It doesn't work as a motivator to be honest.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.