Xbox Series X SSD Velocity Architecture

First Previous
  • richardloveridge 21 Mar 2020 13:45:11 10 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    So I wanted to address the fact that some people assume PS5 is the only machine with SSD direct access to APU.

Some even saying developers will design games differently on PS5 as a result.

This isnt correct. In fact before Mark Cerny even talked about this for PS5, MS already announced their version or solution for doing the exact same thing.

Looking at all the facts on both sides both are claiming no bottlenecks. Both are claiming there version is revolutionary. But the Main point here is Xbox Series X is doing the exact same thing. And in fact Velocity Architecture is what PC will be adopting. Not Sonys version.

Here is what MS said about the very same thing Mark Cerny talked about. With MS cleverly able to shift 6GB/s between APU and SSD. Through cleverly designed custom built hardware right there on the SOC. Much higher than the 2.4GB/s the standard IO throughput suggests.

I honestly think people haven't actually researched much into this at all. Most of this is as a result of MS not having a developers briefing yet on Series X the same way Mark Cerny did.

The Hellblade 2 trailer and it's environments are possible in realtime due to this very thing. Expect Series X to have huge detailed environments as a result. Just as PS5 is claiming.

Here it is as follows.

"The form factor is cute, the 2.4GB/s of guaranteed throughput is impressive, but it's the software APIs and custom hardware built into the SoC that deliver what Microsoft believes to be a revolution - a new way of using storage to augment memory (an area where no platform holder will be able to deliver a more traditional generational leap). The idea, in basic terms at least, is pretty straightforward - the game package that sits on storage essentially becomes extended memory, allowing 100GB of game assets stored on the SSD to be instantly accessible by the developer. It's a system that Microsoft calls the Velocity Architecture and the SSD itself is just one part of the system.

"Our second component is a high-speed hardware decompression block that can deliver over 6GB/s," reveals Andrew Goossen. "This is a dedicated silicon block that offloads decompression work from the CPU and is matched to the SSD so that decompression is never a bottleneck. The decompression hardware supports Zlib for general data and a new compression [system] called BCPack that is tailored to the GPU textures that typically comprise the vast majority of a game's package size."

Here is one of the best articles about the Velocity design that is around. The most in depth look at it that anyone has done.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/71273/xbox-series-ssd-is-revolutionary-changes-gaming-forever/index.html

https://youtu.be/ywZt_GAR_bQ

Edited by richardloveridge at 13:48:22 21-03-2020

Edited by richardloveridge at 20:26:40 21-03-2020

Edited by richardloveridge at 20:31:52 21-03-2020
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 21 Mar 2020 14:04:00 23,302 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Phew
  • neilka 21 Mar 2020 14:05:20 23,115 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    They'll both be shit mate
  • brokenkey 21 Mar 2020 14:14:18 10,418 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    That might be why in that reveal video, an MS person said something about their solid state SSD drive being a game changer.
  • DaM 21 Mar 2020 14:19:57 17,442 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    /socially isolates from OP
  • Your-Mother 21 Mar 2020 14:21:27 3,772 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    So howís the self quarantine going
  • JamboWayOh 21 Mar 2020 14:25:15 17,786 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm glad he registered to tell us this.
  • Derblington 21 Mar 2020 14:28:47 32,706 posts
    Seen 32 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Itís been known for a long time that both are doing the same general thing, itís just the approach that differs.
    Sonyís, on paper, is a lot faster but both are going to be damn quick and reduce a lot of user friction.
  • HarryB 21 Mar 2020 14:43:26 7,551 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    TLDR
  • richardloveridge 21 Mar 2020 14:45:35 10 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Derblington wrote:
    Itís been known for a long time that both are doing the same general thing, itís just the approach that differs.
    Sonyís, on paper, is a lot faster but both are going to be damn quick and reduce a lot of user friction.
    Not necessarily. MS are doing it different. Through dedicated compression block. So the transfer isn't just 2.4GB/s worth of info. It's up around 6GB/s.

The standard 2.4GB/s IO throughput is misleading in the scenario where thr APU draws directly from the SSD.
  • richardiox 21 Mar 2020 14:53:18 8,014 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Dedication (block) is what you need
  • richardloveridge 21 Mar 2020 14:53:47 10 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    brokenkey wrote:
    That might be why in that reveal video, an MS person said something about their solid state SSD drive being a game changer.
    Yep. MS claimed right back to E3 2019 that Series X would be developed based on everything that developers across the industry wanted. And bottlenecks was something Phil Spencer said at E3 2019 they would eliminate completely. The whole system is designed to take full advantage of Direct X 12 Ultimate which will be the new graphics standard on PC and Series X.

Which includes VRS, Ray Tracing and Velocity Architecture.

To call Series X power and not efficient is a serious misstep from alot of people.

And all this is going to do is disappoint people when they get to comparing PS5 to Series X games.

I remember when people called the Hellblade 2 trailer CGI. Even though Ninja Theory have never revealed a game with CGI ever. In fsct I think DF even said the environments in Hellblade 2 would t be possible.

But now we know with Velocity Architecture they absolutely are possible. By streaming SSD directly to the APU.
  • Blackmarsh63 21 Mar 2020 14:55:59 2,982 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    TL Dont care. You'd think this tech was the second coming. PC users have had it for years albeit not quite as fast.

Edited by Blackmarsh63 at 14:57:17 21-03-2020
  • Fake_Blood 21 Mar 2020 14:56:20 10,079 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fuck me, has vizzini switched sides?
  • Malek86 21 Mar 2020 15:10:09 9,714 posts
    Seen 27 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    All this talk of peak throughput, can someone tell me what the average speed will be when you are loading tons of small files instead?
  • Your-Mother 21 Mar 2020 15:11:22 3,772 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It will be the same speed as the draining of your will to live after reading this thread.

Edited by Your-Mother at 15:11:38 21-03-2020
  • Fake_Blood 21 Mar 2020 15:22:25 10,079 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    At the end of the day, youíll still stare at your library, moving the cursor from one game to the next, and then decide to watch netflix or youtube.
  • Derblington 21 Mar 2020 15:22:49 32,706 posts
    Seen 32 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    richardloveridge wrote:
    Derblington wrote:
    Not necessarily. MS are doing it different. Through dedicated compression block. So the transfer isn't just 2.4GB/s worth of info. It's up around 6GB/s.

The standard 2.4GB/s IO throughput is misleading in the scenario where thr APU draws directly from the SSD.
    Did you miss the bit when Cerny mentioned with very good compression they could move up to 22gb?
  • IronGiant 21 Mar 2020 15:23:13 6,027 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @richardloveridge Phew thank christ you came here to clear that up, there was me worrying about Covid-19.. I can sleep soundly tonight.
  • JamboWayOh 21 Mar 2020 15:27:32 17,786 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    richardloveridge wrote:
    Derblington wrote:

Did you miss the bit when Cerny mentioned with very good compression they could move up to 22gb?
    LET THEM FIGHT
  • richarddavies 21 Mar 2020 15:59:20 7,332 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    All this splooging over utter shit amuses me. The Atari Jaguar has 64 bits of power. 64BITS!! how many bits does the series X have? Oh your not sure? That's because Microshit is embarrassed to release those figures when they know the Jaguar trounces it.
    You should be ashamed of yourself. ASHAMED.
  • Malek86 21 Mar 2020 16:05:05 9,714 posts
    Seen 27 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I don't know why so many people bought the PS1 when the Saturn had two processors. Two! That's like twice the power!

Edited by Malek86 at 16:05:11 21-03-2020
  • mothercruncher 21 Mar 2020 16:07:25 17,362 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Twice as many letters too. The fucking clue was in the name man.
  • JamboWayOh 21 Mar 2020 16:28:09 17,786 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    richarddavies wrote:
    All this splooging over utter shit amuses me. The Atari Jaguar has 64 bits of power. 64BITS!! how many bits does the series X have? Oh your not sure? That's because Microshit is embarrassed to release those figures when they know the Jaguar trounces it.
    You should be ashamed of yourself. ASHAMED.
    :)
  • Ror 21 Mar 2020 16:29:43 19,609 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    At the end of the day, youíll still stare at your library, moving the cursor from one game to the next, and then decide to watch netflix or youtube.
    And then do the same on Netflix and YouTube, and just end up watching BBC News 24 instead.
  • EMarkM 21 Mar 2020 16:36:03 4,725 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    Fuck me, has vizzini switched sides?
    SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH!

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

/cell
  • KD 21 Mar 2020 16:56:31 2,520 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Original Xbox had a HDD and made Championshhip Manager possible!

Also.. My Amstrad may have a green screen monitor but you got to play your ZX on your parents tv.

Edited by KD at 16:58:07 21-03-2020
  • Derblington 21 Mar 2020 17:06:09 32,706 posts
    Seen 32 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I always wanted a Saturn - used to play the demo station in HMV. On the day I actually went to pick it up my mate told me to buy the PS1 because his sisterís boyfriend had one. No idea why I listened to him but I did.

Donít really feel like I missed out on that one.
  • richardloveridge 21 Mar 2020 17:10:44 10 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Derblington wrote:
    richardloveridge wrote:
    Derblington wrote:

LET THEM FIGHT
    But then they would need a decompression block so that it doesn't bottleneck. And they haven't got one. Or they would have said. You can't just increase a number. That's why it's important to consider the balance of the console. The GPU and CPU still have to process the information. Of which both are lower on PS5.

You can only go so far if your PC/console can't process the information it's recieveing.

And if you take processing away from one thing, to do another it serves as am detremant elsewhere.

Edited by richardloveridge at 17:15:21 21-03-2020
  • Your-Mother 21 Mar 2020 17:19:13 3,772 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I think you need a decompression block for your waterlogged head.
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.