Anyone here actually furloughed? Page 2

• anephric 31 Mar 2020 15:55:43 3,886 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Most of my work is face to face with contractors/other agencies/councils etc and that's all stopped. I used to WFH a couple of days a week and home-started loads anyway, so it doesn't feel like much of a change, other than I'm getting through what work is left in an hour or two and taking a few phone calls... That's it.

My missus is super bitter as she's NHS and is going into a shitstorm every day.

Edited by anephric at 15:56:16 31-03-2020
  • ZuluHero 31 Mar 2020 15:56:09 8,655 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    WFH home here atm, We've just had an email for this month's payslip, so hopefully that will actually hit tomorrow.

I'm actually quite enjoying it, even being more productive. Might see it's something I can adopt normally (just a day or 2 a week) when all this blows over.

Hope the furloughed people are holding up ok! Especially sucks if a couple have been, like Frog.
  • retro74 31 Mar 2020 15:59:46 3,199 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I WFH most days anyway so not much change. Due the project I'm on it's gone crazy busy so I'm on 100% of the salary for 125% of the work
  • AboutHalfaStevas 31 Mar 2020 16:06:06 2,765 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    anephric wrote:
    Most of my work is face to face with contractors/other agencies/councils etc and that's all stopped. I used to WFH a couple of days a week and home-started loads anyway, so it doesn't feel like much of a change, other than I'm getting through what work is left in an hour or two and taking a few phone calls... That's it.

My missus is super bitter as she's NHS and is going into a shitstorm every day.
    Yeah... Tell her my heart goes out to her... from... some random on the internets...
    who probably doesn't have a heart (or soul, tbh).
  • beastmaster 31 Mar 2020 16:06:30 20,479 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I was struggling at work due to sheer boredom. Lots to do but itís so fucking dull.

WFH now and itís super difficult to get motivated.
  • AboutHalfaStevas 31 Mar 2020 16:08:17 2,765 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've actually been taking some AL recent weeks, as it had built up and I'd have just lost it. I realise I could maybe have cancelled it and carried it over now (?), but whatever. I felt I needed to completely disengage tbh.
  • JYM60 31 Mar 2020 16:12:42 18,406 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm pretty motivated working from home. Motivated to try and get Charlton to the prem in FM.
  • General_Martok 31 Mar 2020 16:13:31 1,179 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    We're under consultation for redundancy, the entire company. Apparently they cant force us to take furlough but we are being given the option to volunteer for it. The redundancy consultation will still continue but we're basically postponing by being offered to be furloughed.

The company can however reject the furlough and still make you redundant....which is frankly disgusting. I don't know if that's actually going to happen in practice though.

The entire travel industry is fucked by this so furlough won't help in the medium term. The company still needs to make cuts as this is going to take more than a year to recover from.

Wish I stayed in Telecoms now! :p
  • AboutHalfaStevas 31 Mar 2020 16:13:32 2,765 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @beastmaster

My advice would be (WARNING: A LARGE IRONY IS APPROACHING) get the fuck off the internet while doing your "working week". Just don't do it. Log off, play a game, watch some trash TV about, I dunno, tiger owners (entirely chosen at random), sleep.
    All you'll find on the internets is people whining about their streaming not being in HD or something. And that's best case scenario.
  • JamboWayOh 31 Mar 2020 16:22:19 18,852 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    WFH. Classes all online using Zoom, I feel like I'm doing more work especially as it's quite difficult to teach all different screens on my laptop, some are listening, some you have to mute as they're just being a knob, some on their phones or watching TV. On the other hand it has been amazing in offloading a lot of teaching into online games that are super interactive and everyone gets on board with. Not sure I could do it for 3 months but I am very aware that I'm lucky to still have a job and receive my full salary.
  • Malek86 31 Mar 2020 16:23:11 10,034 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've been on vacation since the 18th (can't WFH because my job is 100% customer-facing), but I was using up my leftover hours for that. Starting tomorrow, I'm pretty sure I have no more leftover hours - though it's hard to check because I don't get access to the employees portal from home. So I should be forloughed now.

Word is that we'll get some kind of compensation all the same, but I don't know how much, or what the conditions will be. All the company said was "don't worry, we'll take care of it". Sure hope they do. They have been good to me so far, so I have no reason to doubt them... but still. There is some anxiety there.

My only luck is that the industry I work in shouldn't be impacted too much by the upcoming economy shockwave. So there'ds little reason to think that I'll be out of a job once everything returns to normal.

Edited by Malek86 at 16:24:09 31-03-2020
  • TechnoHippy 31 Mar 2020 16:28:55 17,046 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I'm finding WFH generally positive, I don't have the daily 2 1/2 drive, and I'm getting more down, the downside is lots of video conferences, but overall ok. I'm not looking forward to returning to the old pattern.
  • TechnoHippy 31 Mar 2020 16:28:56 17,046 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Load_2.0 31 Mar 2020 16:29:33 31,406 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    BTW if any wives are looking to get "furloughed" I am available.

No virus, no problem.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 31 Mar 2020 16:32:35 8,421 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @TechnoHippy Adapting to video conferences has been a bit of a shock to the system. That said, we're lucky this has happened this year and not a couple of years ago. Even 12 months back, there was no way our IT would have coped with this.

I used to do a "four days in the office, one day working from home" pattern. Very unlikely I'll go back to that when this is over - and lots of others at work are saying the same thing.
  • Dougs 31 Mar 2020 16:45:14 93,664 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yes, if there is some good to come from this, it's that for some jobs, presenteeism really should be a thing of the past.
  • nudistpete 31 Mar 2020 16:50:23 1,180 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    WFH now and itís super difficult to get motivated.
    Same here. The more frequent online meetings are making it a lot worse and I'm finding it's sapping what little energy I have. Some days I'm spending all of my morning on calls and that realisation of "I could have used that time productively if I wasn't sitting here listening to the same old BS" is hurting.

I should feel incredibly lucky to have a stable job through this time, but I was so desperate to leave this job and the market is so apeshit at the moment that I really don't know how to feel. A mixture of lucky, relief and pissed off, I guess.
  • TechnoHippy 31 Mar 2020 16:54:05 17,046 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Rogueywon Indeed - I have to say well done to our It and support teams for getting over 500 people working from home in such a short time.
  • KnuttinAtoll 31 Mar 2020 17:15:17 8,107 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Been WFH full time for the past 5 years now. The expectation was a fair bit of travel but that has died down significantly over the last number of years (travel budget restrictions).

In the beginning I found it difficult, especially the social aspect, but now I definitely prefer it - my (Ikea furnished) office is better equipped and more ergonomic than in the office, I don't have to deal with noisy colleagues and hunting down meeting rooms for calls.

One big advantage certainly is not having to pretend to be busy when you're not - and also the ability to organise your day individually, such as go to the shop/barber/post office quickly during the day when it's quieter.

It does require some discipline though, and I notice I'm definitely slacking it more if I don't have any deadlines hanging over me - in which case I can certainly focus and get a lot more done, plus no commuting (time and expense - I have yet to refill the car for the second time, this year).
  • Pipedream 31 Mar 2020 17:15:22 528 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I started a new job at the beginning of the year which really stressed me out as I realised it was a terrible decision. I tried to get my old job back but by the time I manned up to the fact that going back was the best idea it was too late.

Now I have to WFH in a job I absolutely hate, I just canít be arsed! Iím grateful that I can work from home on full pay but this year is already starting to feel like the worst year of my life and Iíve had friggin cancer!
  • neilka 31 Mar 2020 17:31:06 23,282 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm afraid I've just furloughed

/opens window
  • Alastair 31 Mar 2020 17:41:00 24,223 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    But, yeah, being a super important key worker who can do 90% of his job remotely, I see my mates twatting about all day and think that I could do with a bit of that. I might even take some time off next week.
    This. I'm not a key worker, but have been in a home-based role for 4.5 years, so nothings really changed for me, except my son is now at home all day, constantly asking for help with his school work.

I don't seem to have extra time for watching TV or playing even more Monster Hunter...
  • Alastair 31 Mar 2020 17:41:33 24,223 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    neilka wrote:

/opens window
    Oh neilka, you're such a silly billy!
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 31 Mar 2020 17:42:42 8,421 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    neilka wrote:

/opens window
    Don't open your window. That can spread it to your neighbours.

Edit: Actually, that's a point. Given that Coronavirus can apparently spread via feces, farts must basically be stinky death-clouds right now.

Edited by Rogueywon at 17:43:50 31-03-2020
  • Nitrous 31 Mar 2020 17:56:04 1,995 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The Mrs has been furloughed but it starts tomorrow whilst I'm sat at home on full pay for being on standby for the museum. No idea how long that will last for.

Can't furloughed me though as the terms of that say you can't undertake any work. I'm bored though, did some stuff in the garden, played a few games and the only worry I have right now is the increased electricity use.
  • PazJohnMitch 31 Mar 2020 18:27:54 15,706 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I have been WFH for 11 days now. Productivity was been all over the place. A few days were far more productive than usual. The rest have been worse than normal.
  • Fourwisemen 31 Mar 2020 18:38:01 882 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Iíve worked from home for 15 years, although a fair bit on the road, recently though almost all from home.

I generally love it.

However Iíve been furloughed from tomorrow and will end up on about 50% salary because of the limit.

The money is a worry of course, but more than that is the lack of purpose.

Iím going to have a couple if days to chill this week and take advantage of the time, from Monday though Iíll be trying some online courses out and try and fill half my day each day with something educationally stimulating.

After that though, bit of gaming, reading and picking my guitar back up.
  • Goban 31 Mar 2020 18:38:51 10,071 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm as of tomorrow. Work has slowed down so much that it had to happen. Been working from home for the past 2 weeks, which I hate, so am quite glad I can use the time to sort my life out a bit. Fingers crossed there will be a job for me once we get back to normal, no guarantee unfortunately as the construction industry is particularly prone to economic downturns. I'm choosing not to think that far ahead as my life has been fucked up quite enough recently.
  • challenge_hanukkah 31 Mar 2020 18:39:46 12,663 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Working from home would be great if it wasn't for the 24/7 screaming, shouting, swearing and loud music from the neighbours.

Last night at 2am the mother drunkenly awoke her daughter by screeching, "Why did you eat it all, you fat little bitch?"
  • Razz 31 Mar 2020 18:54:42 696 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    LOL

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.