Anyone here actually furloughed? Page 3

• Darren 31 Mar 2020 19:43:04 9,596 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, I am furloughed here from tomorrow as I am having to stay at home due to having two elderly parents living with me. As a bookkeeper, I am unable to work from home fully due to needing access to physical client records (invoices, bank statements etc) for most of my work. I donít drive and isnít practical for me to bring stuff home as I have no space living in a two bedroom terrace house. Plus thereís the additional risk of bringing in the virus so, thankfully, my bosses told me to go home last Tuesday (24th) but paid me my full salary to the end of March.

Obviously, Iím worried I might not have a job to go back to if businesses I do work for go bust. Many of them are no longer trading - bars and restaurants - so my work would likely have dried up over time anyway. I am hoping that I will be able to go back to work sooner rather than later though. Certainly, I do not want to be off work for three months even if I am getting 80% of my salary compensated by the Government. :(
  • the_milkybar_kid 31 Mar 2020 20:04:29 8,240 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Work as Security at a university and the vast majority of students have gone home. There's 100ish or so still on campus. We've been deemed essential workers so we've still got to go in, but our shifts have been cut down. So this week I'm effectively on call on full pay. Quite lucky really. Seen a rise in Bag heads trying to break in but I'll take that over not getting paid.

Edited by the_milkybar_kid at 20:05:11 31-03-2020
  • freddymercurystwin 31 Mar 2020 20:44:28 2,072 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Well I've just received (an expected) letter from my employer (I work for Architects) that we're all receiving a 5% pay cut and that furloughing is on the cards for at least some of us and to agree to a change in our contracts to include a furlough clause, I'm to carry on working for the time being and have a call with HR tom so that could change pretty quick I imagine, as the construction industry has largely shut down this was pretty inevitable. We're (me and the family) very fortunate as when my mum passed away a year or two back we received some inheritance which we were on the verge of investing in a bigger house, its fortuitous that we didn't move and have something to fall back on if things go really sour.
  • SolidSCB 31 Mar 2020 20:48:48 12,455 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've got about 4 different games on the go for the first time since about 2005. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't enjoying it a little bit. Every cloud and all that.

That said, I'll know I'll definitely have a job to go back to when we come out of it so that peace of mind is probably helping matters a lot.
  • Psiloc 31 Mar 2020 21:24:04 5,484 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    nudistpete wrote:The more frequent online meetings are making it a lot worse and I'm finding it's sapping what little energy I have. Some days I'm spending all of my morning on calls and that realisation of "I could have used that time productively if I wasn't sitting here listening to the same old BS" is hurting.
    This has been my WFH experience so far too.

I'd have taken to all this better in my 20s. Now, I'm sharing a house with a wife and two kids

Edited by Psiloc at 21:25:33 31-03-2020
  • Samildanach 31 Mar 2020 21:52:23 283 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I have been furloughed as have most employees in the medium sized businesses I work for (Opticians). We are getting very few patients obviously, so have kept a very small team on to cover all the branches while the rest are on 80%. Which means I am on tax payers money to do fuck all.... well I say fuck all, but I have three small children, and my wife is regularly commenting on on how tired my face is. It's relentless. For those who have to work from home AND look after the kids, I tip my hat to you. You have a impossible job!
    Having said that, I should make the most of my position, one day my children will be teenagers and likely hate my guts. When would I get extended time with them otherwise? "Come on kids, stop playing outside and let's have a game of Mario Kart!"

Edited by Samildanach at 22:11:36 31-03-2020
  • X201 31 Mar 2020 22:06:58 20,586 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    nudistpete wrote:
    The more frequent online meetings are making it a lot worse and I'm finding it's sapping what little energy I have. Some days I'm spending all of my morning on calls and that realisation of "I could have used that time productively if I wasn't sitting here listening to the same old BS" is hurting.
    I know what you mean, thereís one manager at our place who we know is a problem with things like that, micro manages everything, constantly hassling his staff.

Mysteriously (ahem) me and my boss have somehow left him until last to get him up and running on the comms software because we knew heíd use it irresponsibly. We couldnít hold out any more and had to give him access this week, true to form heís been like a kid in a sweet shop, phoning everyone, setting up video calls and meetings. He fails to realise that peopleís families are at home as well and that heís also invading their space as well.

Itís not the technology, itís just incompetent management.
  • AboutHalfaStevas 31 Mar 2020 22:18:28 2,765 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    Working from home would be great if it wasn't for the 24/7 screaming, shouting, swearing and loud music from the neighbours.

Last night at 2am the mother drunkenly awoke her daughter by screeching, "Why did you eat it all, you fat little bitch?"
    Yeah man. Fucking neighbours.
    Mine have done nothing for four fucking years to that house.
    Not even 2 days into a quarantine and they're on the DIY.
  • erasr 1 Apr 2020 00:00:55 415 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    WFH since the gov recommended it. I like it because I can do things at my own pace, like getting up, eating, taking a breather.

I work in digital marketing. Lots of customers cancelling though, so today I furloughed 5 sales people. Tomorrow I have to furlough 7-8 more backend staff. One girl cried, it was hard.

I have one of the highest basic wages and the CEO said to me Ďyou might need to consider furloughing yourself at some point for the business to even existí. Whilst Iím all up for helping the business, itís surprising he said that because there would literally be no managers left or anyone to run the business day to day, even with a handful of staff left.

So I offered in worst case to take a big pay cut as I recommend me staying on to direct us through this. He normally listens to me, and I think he did here.

Iím an Ops Manager and would probably need to get stuck in revenue generating (sales) if worst comes to worst. In digital marketing I still think thereís new business to be won. Many businesses are doing really well.

Itís worrying times. We were down about £70k this month gone.

Edited by erasr at 00:01:49 01-04-2020
  • AddyB- 1 Apr 2020 00:42:50 650 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    I've been WFH for the past 2 weeks. I could do it permanently as I'm a cloud guy. I kind of like it but miss proper interaction. I've been busy as hell. I guess the disadvantage of communicating entirely through teams is that no one can see you're busy so I get fucking spammed constantly by people wanting all sorts of shit.

My employer has been great regarding the furlough. They are topping the wages upto 100% for those on it til the end of April at least.
  • Cappy 1 Apr 2020 01:06:57 14,193 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Be careful what you wish for.

I'd love to stay home for a bit. Sitting on a train, your journey punctuated by people coughing, at least some of them are wearing masks these days. I get my temperature taken by somebody in a space suit. Sanitising wipes are non-existent at work, the panic buy meant they couldn't be replaced after they ran out. At one point we were drying our hands with dispensers packed with toilet paper because they couldn't get paper towels (doesn't work at all by the way, you just end up with a porridge of paper pulp clinging to your hands).

Due to being relocated and restructured into smaller teams, a series of IT workarounds are necessary and a portion of my day is spent trying to coax various things into working like they used to whilst the work load just keeps on piling up higher and higher.

You can't even get a cup of tea and relax. 'Social distancing'. One person in the kitchen area at a time only, of course there's somebody in there monging out over their phone... Putting the milk and sugar in ever so slowly and I'm fighting the urge to waterboard them in the sink.

As the day draws to a close I'm in the red zone, I manage to catch the reduced service train out of this Hell with seconds to spare. I get on the quiet carriage of another service for the next stage of my journey and then the train goes nowhere... For reasons. Time passes, all the while an imbecile who certainly isn't a key worker is yammering away on their mobile phone. Fine, I'll settle and read my book once the train starts moving.

The mobile phone user must have picked up on my mood, they vacate the carriage at maximum speed when I tell them to move along. I get home, nod off and it starts all over again the next day.

Edited by Cappy at 01:14:11 01-04-2020
  • beastmaster 1 Apr 2020 01:20:12 20,479 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Some supermarkets are now lifting restrictions on what you can buy. Itís late. Canít be arsed with linky.
  • AboutHalfaStevas 1 Apr 2020 02:03:53 2,765 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Girlfriend reckons she seen actual toilet roll on shelves today.

There's a sentence I should never have said.
  • MMMarmite 1 Apr 2020 02:34:54 1,616 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    AddyB_ wrote:
    I've been WFH for the past 2 weeks. I could do it permanently as I'm a cloud guy. I kind of like it but miss proper interaction. I've been busy as hell. I guess the disadvantage of communicating entirely through teams is that no one can see you're busy so I get fucking spammed constantly by people wanting all sorts of shit.

My employer has been great regarding the furlough. They are topping the wages upto 100% for those on it til the end of April at least.
    The first paragraph sounds like my job, except 2 weeks is 5 years - everybody wonders why progress is slow but they donít think to stop calling random meetings or stop asking for other random crap to be worked on instead :(

I do work for a small company that lacks leadership and technical skills though, so that really doesnít help when everyone works remotely.
  • thelzdking 1 Apr 2020 07:19:13 10,020 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm WFH. It would be fine if work provided decent tech and remote access. And if I lived alone.
  • super_whiskey 1 Apr 2020 07:34:49 321 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @AboutHalfaStevas

I went in to a Home Bargains the other day and there was tonnes of the Nicky loo roll on the shelves.

Otherwise, I hear showers are a good alternative...
  • Drakesmoke 1 Apr 2020 08:20:29 591 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Been working from home for weeks now as we had to self isolate roughly a fortnight before the lockdown came in, and a couple of days into this our employer (both my partner and I work there) shut everything and have made nearly the entire company WFH.

The main difficulties for me are a bad back - we only have one table in the house and my partner's job is 50% full on contact center. For that half of the day I can't sit at the table with her and thus am working from bed which sometimes hurts!

The most unexpected problem has been the combination of this with the school closure however. The teacher is doing a brilliant job at sending remote work and engaging with the kids given the circumstances but having to spend a couple of hours being a teacher is both draining and a big obstacle to productivity, particularly difficult getting this done with our daughter being so restless with the lack of routine.

Company has been trying to shut down its various offices for some time and I do feel this will be used to forever push us into homeworking. If this happens and the schools re-open it will save a lot of time and money but there are definite negatives too.
  • freddymercurystwin 1 Apr 2020 09:42:15 2,072 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Drakesmoke wrote:The most unexpected problem has been the combination of this with the school closure however. The teacher is doing a brilliant job at sending remote work and engaging with the kids given the circumstances but having to spend a couple of hours being a teacher is both draining and a big obstacle to productivity, particularly difficult getting this done with our daughter being so restless with the lack of routine
    Amen, yes my working day now is so broken up, it starts at 6am with a break about 8.30 to get the boys (chimps really) dressed and fed and then the wife does some kind of learning for a couple of hours until about 1pm when she's had a gut full, then I supervise till around 5pm and finish my WFH crap interspersed with yelling at the kids/various other interruptions, this is hell and so unproductive. Heyho perhaps I won't have work for long now anyway.
  • Bambot 1 Apr 2020 10:31:13 1,573 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm not furloughed, I'm just totally fucked. Freelancer reliant on the events industry. Nothing happening for me till next year most likely. No income. And borderline on the self-employed help so not holding my breath for that. And won't get UC because I have savings (for a deposit, not that the gov cares about that) and a partner who's still working.
  • freddymercurystwin 1 Apr 2020 11:56:01 2,072 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Bambot Sorry that sucks.

I just had my call with HR, I am still working for the time being apparently 9 others (out of 36) have been furloughed already or by the end of the week so I'll see what pans out over the next few weeks ....

Edited by freddymercurystwin at 12:47:30 01-04-2020
  • docrob 1 Apr 2020 12:06:59 1,547 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well, Iíll still be coming to work for obvious reasons. May end up coming to work a lot more if it really goes bad here (if weíre lucky then the lockdown will have come in time).
  • Stuz359 1 Apr 2020 12:26:19 251 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm on the 80% though I am slightly worried about how long that's going to take coming through. Wetherspoons bore the brunt of it but there is a fair few employers who are not going to pay until they get the money. Mine are decent bunch so I don't think it's going to be a problem.
    I've been told not to work from home because if we did, as a company, we would not be able to apply for the government scheme. So now I am busy procrastinating on all the projects and games I never got to do/play.
  • Jono62 1 Apr 2020 12:29:18 24,841 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm working via an agency where I am now so I'm WFH. Hoping to still be kept on and the company have been brilliant, but I am worried that they'll say see ya later anytime.
  • freddymercurystwin 1 Apr 2020 12:48:28 2,072 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Gah! I just realised my last post was badly written, I have not been furloughed yet but 9 others have been.
  • super_whiskey 1 Apr 2020 13:30:28 321 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Drakesmoke

Pretty sure employers still have to comply with H&S regs even when WFH so could be worth asking if they'll stump up for a chair at the very least?
  • SolidSCB 1 Apr 2020 13:37:57 12,455 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Has anyone been asked to quietly do work stuff while on furlough?

I got a full wage yesterday, which means work topped me up for around 5 or 6 working days since I was officially put on. I knew about a job that was coming in and as they paid me in full, I'm open to completing said job as they've seen me right this month.

But I've just logged into our work schedule and seen another 4 or 5 jobs have been put on that I haven't been told about yet, totalling at least a full day or two's work. I know once I send this little job off to them they are going to use it as the icebreaker to try and get me working on the rest. I also know that I will now be on the 80% until further notice, there's no way I'll be paid fully. It will be expected in goodwill.

In one sense I understand the need to try and help keep business going and want to pitch in, but on the other it feels shady as fuck that I'll be working fully at a loss with wages that aren't even coming out of the pocket of my employer.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 1 Apr 2020 13:44:10 8,421 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @super_whiskey Workplace adjustments were one of the big issues that flared up for us when we switched to WFH.

Suspect this is going to vary a lot by employer, but we've given everybody authorisation to claim up to a certain amount (think it's £125, but would need to check) for small bits of kit like keyboards, mice and headsets to plug into the standard-issue laptops. Requests for larger items like monitors and chairs are being dealt with case-by-case.

Fortunately for me, being gaming nerd meant I had plenty of spares lying around of my own.
  • wuntyate 1 Apr 2020 13:51:15 14,513 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Boss just phoned me to say we are now officially furloughed. We can do essential work if anything comes in. Apart from that, not allowed to do anything. Not that much work was coming in.
  • doctor_nick 1 Apr 2020 13:57:40 237 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm furloughed now and been told cannot work at all for the organisation, not even volunteer for it. At least, if you do and HMRC catch it via auditing, it ain't gonna be good.
  • TorkCurve 1 Apr 2020 13:58:38 2 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    When furloughed - my understanding and reading of it says you cannot do anything. It's too much of an opportunity for companies to get free labour funded by the government for a couple of months - which furloughing isnt there for...

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.