Anyone here actually furloughed? Page 4

• richarddavies 1 Apr 2020 14:05:56 7,606 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah you cannot work during furlough. Work actually came to my house to pick up my work phone and an internet hotspot so I wouldnt be tempted to "help out" .
  • SolidSCB 1 Apr 2020 14:14:30 12,455 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah I know you absolutely shouldn't be doing a thing for them in legal terms. Just wondering if anyone else is being leaned on already.

I think I'm just going to do this one quick job and then refuse the rest.
  • Stuz359 1 Apr 2020 14:27:40 251 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I get asked to send a file or update someone via email every now and then but that's about it. Pretty much doing stuff on PC all day anyway.
  • AboutHalfaStevas 1 Apr 2020 14:27:47 2,765 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's a difficult situation - which they shouldn't be putting you in anytime, let alone now. They clearly give zero fucks about your mental well-being: make a mental note to ditch them when/if you get the opportunity.
  • robthehermit 1 Apr 2020 14:41:28 7,712 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Anecdotal, but I have heard rumours that any company who is found to be furloughing workers and still having them work runs the risk of losing their furlough entitlement for all employees. Probably bollocks, but I thought I'd put that out there.
  • Stan546 1 Apr 2020 15:21:06 1,188 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm on full working from home, I usually work 1 or 2 days a week from home so it was an easy transition.

Last week was OK, this week I'm really struggling with not being on site with a team around me. Really hard to stay focused and motivated when you feel so disconnected from what's going on. I'd kill to be back in the office on site again.

I'm starting to think I wouldn't mind the furlough, but I know it won't happen as my work isn't impacted for at least 4/6 more weeks. Just gunna have to deal with it.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 1 Apr 2020 15:51:40 8,421 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    We only furloughed a small number, so I didn't have to read too much on the conditions, but as I understand it.

- If you furlough staff, they cannot work for you. At all.

- If you still need some tasks doing, like essential maintenance, then don't furlough all of your staff. Work out who you need and keep paying them yourself.

- Keep contact with furloughed staff to a minimum. Occasional (maybe fortnightly) "keeping in touch" calls to check on wellbeing are ok. Conversations about potential return to work are ok. Beyond that, don't.

I'm not expert, but as the furlough scheme operates on a by-company basis, it's at least plausible that a company found to be abusing the scheme could lose eligibility for all of its staff.
  • brokenkey 1 Apr 2020 16:18:33 10,475 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Question for anyone furloughed and working for a company that doesn't pay by bank transfer (ie, they normally pay you with cash or cheque). Have you been told how you'll be paid?

Edited by brokenkey at 16:31:29 01-04-2020
  • SolidSCB 1 Apr 2020 16:29:07 12,455 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah I've just refused to do any more anyway. I'm happy to stay in touch but I won't be doing any further work until I'm recalled.
  • Dirt3 1 Apr 2020 16:31:36 987 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Does anyone on PAYE actually get paid by cash or cheque anymore ?
  • Darren 1 Apr 2020 16:36:24 9,596 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    Yeah I know you absolutely shouldn't be doing a thing for them in legal terms. Just wondering if anyone else is being leaned on already.

I think I'm just going to do this one quick job and then refuse the rest.
    I did some work for a client I do weekly bookkeeping for normally in the office every Monday and did it today even though I'm furloughed from 1st April. It's roughly half a days work. It looks like I will be doing this for the next few weeks at least.

I spoke to one of the director's this morning and the company are trying to give me as much work as I can do from home, although it isn't enough for me to do a full week's work and therefore I won't be on my normal full pay. At one point, it was thought I could be un-furloughed for one day per week to do this client's work and then furloughed for the other four days, presumably to make up my salary to 100% but that is apparently not possible. It's either full pay as normal or 80% furloughed apparently.

On the one hand, I am happy to do as much as I possibly can, if only to show the bosses that I want to keep my job and keep clients in business, but on the other I can see that this will be free labour for them because even if I charged out my time there is no cost to them as the Government is subsidising the 80% of my salary that I will receive.

It's a grey area really. Likely though, I will only have 1 or perhaps 2 days work per week at most and I will probably be grateful for it as it stops me getting bored at home. Weird, how this last week, I have barely watched movies and played games as I would normally do while off work. Instead, I seem to have spent most of my time just reading and watching the news to the point where it takes up most of my day. Insane really but then I find it hard to concentrate on watching a movie or playing a game when it feels like I should be working. Just feels wrong somehow.
  • brokenkey 1 Apr 2020 17:18:03 10,475 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Dirt3 wrote:
    Well I know how many companies there are in the UK, and how many use the bank payment schemes to pay their staff, and yes, there must be quite a lot.
  • Dirt3 1 Apr 2020 17:37:26 987 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    brokenkey wrote:
    Dirt3 wrote:
    Well I know how many companies there are in the UK, and how many use the bank payment schemes to pay their staff, and yes, there must be quite a lot.
    Suprises me. Because I think these days you have to have payroll software I believe to submit PAYE returns. So if you've got and can manage that then surely bank transfer is a doddle and much simpler and safer than handling cash.

I thought vans turning up full of cash on a friday to distribute to workers went out with the Sweeney.
  • JamboWayOh 1 Apr 2020 18:44:34 18,852 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I wonder how long I can tolerate teaching these kids online, for some reason the problem students are way more cuntish at home than in class. It's almost like I can see the reason why they're like that.
  • Fonzie 2 Apr 2020 08:05:38 3,394 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    My wife works in retail and she is off on full pay till the end of this week and then on 80%. Great for us as we aren't going out for meals/pub etc now so won't really notice the drop in wage as we won't be spending as much.

I'm also spending way less on fuel as I'm not sitting in traffic to and from work. My journey home has gone down from 90 minutes to about 35 minutes.
  • Ddanno 2 Apr 2020 12:38:55 1,555 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    HMRC's view is that working whilst furloughed is fraud and they encourage you to report your employer.
  • Jono62 2 Apr 2020 12:40:02 24,841 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That'll end well.
  • beastmaster 3 Apr 2020 14:14:04 20,479 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Just been informed that I can work from home indefinitely. Bliss!
  • Singularity 3 Apr 2020 16:04:44 3,239 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Rogueywon Train season ticket? You can claim back anything that is unused - I cancelled my annual ticket the moment that it looked like we were going to be working from home and got 2 grand back. Pretty sure you can do it on monthlies, too.

I have 56 minutes of employment left. Today was meant to be my last day, week off, then starting at a new firm. Except new firm have pulled the offer because of all this, so I'm screwed.
  • X201 3 Apr 2020 22:07:08 20,586 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    I wonder how long I can tolerate teaching these kids online, for some reason the problem students are way more cuntish at home than in class. It's almost like I can see the reason why they're like that.
    Load of BBC key stage stuff + tv channel coming online on 20th.
    Point them at iPlayer for a break
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 4 Apr 2020 08:04:43 13,305 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    All the support staff in my team are expected to work at least four hours of what would’ve been their normal working day.

So are most of the adjacent teams.

We even kept the agency temps on.
  • JamboWayOh 4 Apr 2020 09:26:50 18,852 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    X201 wrote:
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Load of BBC key stage stuff + tv channel coming online on 20th.
    Point them at iPlayer for a break
    I'm not in England. Also some of the kids are just cunts in general in the actual classroom.
  • crashVoodoo 4 Apr 2020 13:29:02 6,664 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Our company just let everyone know that over a 1000 to go on furlough till end of may. Some are chuffed at 2 months holiday on full pay.

I'm still working, our team is busier than ever
  • AboutHalfaStevas 4 Apr 2020 16:35:58 2,765 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    This is partly the problem we have. A lot of people are seeing this as a fucking holiday.

I mean, if you were planning on spending your next holiday being shut up in the house the entire time, then yeah. If you're fine with doing nothing else other than watching telly and playing videogames while the sun shines, then go right ahead and call this a holiday.

But that's not what holiday means to most people.
  • Knighty 4 Apr 2020 16:43:12 1,117 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    No but if you offered me that instead of working, with a great chance to save up for next years holiday, I’d bite your hand off!
  • X201 4 Apr 2020 16:53:35 20,586 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I had to do my bit towards compiling the furlough data about staff yesterday. Not fun.

Although I did spot a couple of surprises in the data though e.g. one sales person exceeding their sales figures for 2019 over the last two weeks, instead of the “fall off a cliff” graph of other sales people.

Our company is topping up pay though to make sure everyone gets 100% of their pay.
  • Dirtbox 4 Apr 2020 17:40:26 91,337 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I am and have been for a month (3 weeks since I was laid off and was sick for a week prior). I work freelance in entertainment and the entire industry has been shuttered. Being freelance doesn't make it easy as my income has stopped dead but thankfully the wife is still working from home so we're fine. Plus we get a cheque each from the goverment soon.

Been bored out of my skull.
  • Sherrie 10 Apr 2020 11:46:12 1 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Many will be unable to work from home, while others will find their work drying up as entire industries grind to a halt. But many companies will be reluctant to let their employees go altogether.
  • Gibroon 10 Apr 2020 12:22:30 2,282 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    There have a few furloughed at my work this month, I'll be furloughed in May for a month. Prefer that tbh, we have been asked to take an unpaid day a week for Q2 so we are all effectively on 80% pay anyway.
  • Nitrous 21 Apr 2020 14:37:20 1,995 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Just been informed that from tomorrow I'm on furlough but still on full pay.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.