D U N E (2020) Page 7

• Your-Mother 22 Jul 2021 19:12:43 8,011 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The audiobook is a pretty good way of getting through all that stuff. It's done as an audio drama with a full cast, so helps smooth over some of the...eclectic oddities of Herbert's style.
  • Phattso 22 Jul 2021 19:13:35 27,302 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Got to think Feyd would be saved for the second movie, along with a bunch of other characters. I mean… not to be too spoilery… but there’s a small chance not everyone makes it out of the first movie. ;-)
  • Your-Mother 22 Jul 2021 19:17:01 8,011 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    but there’s a small chance not everyone makes it out of the first movie. ;-)
    They'll all just come back as endless Gholas anyway. And then end up being all different Kwisatz Haderachs.
  • IRWATWO 22 Jul 2021 19:22:00 1,310 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It's also even better than Alien for 'When does it get shit' discussions. Options include -

Before it starts
    After the first book
    After the third book
    After Herberts last book
    Its all great

But that last option includes the not-Frank toss, so can be discounted. The correct answer is actually After the fifth book, as Heretics is still good but he's clearly some distance from his trolley when writing Chapter House.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 22 Jul 2021 19:26:42 19,679 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I only read the first three and the more fantastical god worm stuff was losing me

Edited by simpleexplodingmaybe at 19:26:52 22-07-2021
  • anephric 22 Jul 2021 19:27:56 5,199 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I never really made it past God Emperor. I read about twenty pages of Heretics to see if was the same weird didacty style and yep it was and I've never read the rest or Chapterhouse.

The Brian Herbert ones are like Carry On versions of Dune.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 22 Jul 2021 19:29:49 19,679 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Question is Brian Herbert or Christopher Tolkien?
  • anephric 22 Jul 2021 19:36:05 5,199 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Fenring's in the TV series, btw, he's Shaddam's Grima Wormtongue. But they don't try and cram in OH BTW FENRING IS THE BENE GESSERIT BACKUP IF PAUL GOES SHITBALLS.
  • Your-Mother 22 Jul 2021 19:38:39 8,011 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Honestly it should have been an HBO GoT-esque show from the beginning. The spectacle and scale of a major film is definitely going to be worth it, but cramming that much plot density, even if it's only half the book, is going to be problematic.
  • JoeBlade 22 Jul 2021 19:47:33 6,195 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I'm that one weirdo who actually likes Chapterhouse, more so than most of the ones before it excluding the original (which I absolutely love) I can understand how others don't though, it's barely a Dune novel for one.

Hate the cliffhanger though but not enough to read Brian's wrap up. I read one of the prequels and that dude can't write a novel to save his life.
  • Technoishmatt 22 Jul 2021 20:18:50 5,336 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    alt-cmd-esc wrote:
    There's a fan redux version of the Lynch film on YouTube that I keep meaning to watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJykw3H4PDw
    Wow, opened it to have a look. Totally hooked. This is great.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 22 Jul 2021 20:36:44 4,428 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    JoeBlade wrote:
    I'm that one weirdo who actually likes Chapterhouse, more so than most of the ones before it excluding the original (which I absolutely love) I can understand how others don't though, it's barely a Dune novel for one.

Hate the cliffhanger though but not enough to read Brian's wrap up. I read one of the prequels and that dude can't write a novel to save his life.
    I was the same, I think I tried reading some of the earliest prequels but the sheer amount of them that apparently needed read before the 2 part book 7 just put me off. And I don't even know if the payoff is worth it...
  • Immaterial 22 Jul 2021 20:39:37 2,621 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Your-Mother wrote:
    Honestly it should have been an HBO GoT-esque show from the beginning. The spectacle and scale of a major film is definitely going to be worth it, but cramming that much plot density, even if it's only half the book, is going to be problematic.
    So, basically an entire decade of Dune. Not disagreeing with you at all.
  • anephric 22 Jul 2021 20:45:31 5,199 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Technoishmatt wrote:
    alt-cmd-esc wrote:
    There's a fan redux version of the Lynch film on YouTube that I keep meaning to watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJykw3H4PDw
    Wow, opened it to have a look. Totally hooked. This is great.
    The only problem with the Spicediver edit is he cuts a couple of things just because he doesn't like them, like Paul's eyes becoming saturated riding Shai Hulud (iirc).
  • anephric 22 Jul 2021 20:55:38 5,199 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    If Dune gives you a wettie, there's a spunkalot 4k coming from Arrow soon:

https://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/dune-zavvi-exclusive-deluxe-4k-ultra-hd-steelbook-includes-blu-ray/13130141.html

And an even more spunkalicious set in Germany coming from Koch that has the TV version in HD.

https://shop.kochfilms.de/de/dune-der-wuestenplanet-ultimate-edition-4k-uhd-5-blu-rays-exklusiv-koch-films-shop
  • Tonka 22 Jul 2021 21:54:52 31,927 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    IRWATWO wrote:
    It's also even better than Alien for 'When does it get shit' discussions. Options include -

Before it starts
    After the first book
    After the third book
    After Herberts last book
    Its all great

After the first third of the first book.
    First third is amazing though.
  • BreadBinLidHero 23 Jul 2021 00:37:41 10,739 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I never finished the second book. I might give it another go though.
  • Rogueywon 23 Jul 2021 00:42:53 12,244 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    God Emperor is honestly one of the worst books I've ever read. I say that having spent a lot of the late '00s travelling for work and grinding my way through terrible Star Wars and Aliens expanded universe shite because I could follow it while jetlagged. God Emperor is worse than that stuff.

Edit: Though the Kevin J. Anderson Dune stuff is admittedly worse than God Emperor. Letting Kevin J. Anderson anywhere near your franchise is like letting Harold Shipman run your retirement home.

Edited by Rogueywon at 00:45:06 23-07-2021
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 23 Jul 2021 01:05:48 19,679 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just the premise of following the worm hybrid was enough for me
  • ChiefGB 23 Jul 2021 10:15:58 13,801 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Do we even know we are going to get the remaining films/story made?
  • anephric 23 Jul 2021 10:17:55 5,199 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I dunno, what's this tracking at?
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 23 Jul 2021 10:42:50 19,679 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Its probably just the first book across two movies or most of the first book across one if it flops
  • JoeBlade 23 Jul 2021 11:18:31 6,195 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I hope they leave it at one film to be honest.

There appears to be a series in the making however - Dune: Sisterhood - about the Bene Gesserit with Villeneuve directing the pilot.
  • InfiniteDan 23 Jul 2021 12:07:28 135 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Dune is one of my favourite books ever, I must have read it a dozen times. The second book was ok but noticeably not in the same league and I think I read a few chapters of the third before I gave up. I had the set I think I took them to a charity shop ages ago.
  • beastmaster 23 Jul 2021 12:28:16 22,325 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    It's the first half of the story in the film is it not? Will the film crash and burn financially and that's all we get?
  • JoeBlade 23 Jul 2021 12:33:00 6,195 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    It's the first half of the story in the film is it not? Will the film crash and burn financially and that's all we get?
    Hey you're the film buff, you tell us. And throw in some witty puns while you're at it!
  • anephric 23 Jul 2021 13:55:55 5,199 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Surely you know what this is tracking at Beasty? I will lose faith in the system if you don't.
  • ChiefGB 23 Jul 2021 15:07:27 13,801 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not sure how much they are behind it, have they came out and said “there’s definitely more to come” otherwise these days with binging attitudes and Netflix style cancellations some may stay away to wait and see, which of course could seal that fate.
  • robthehermit 23 Jul 2021 15:10:55 8,606 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    All this talk of Dune has made me stick the books on my Kindle. Fuck knows when I'll get round to them. I expect I'll stop after Children of Dune like I usually do, it all gets a bit shit after that.
  • Phattso 23 Jul 2021 16:01:50 27,302 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I've enjoyed the later books a lot more as I got older. When I was a tweenager reading the series, I basically hated that almost all of the characters I loved from the early books were gone, given the scale of time the books span. Without that need to have Stories in the Paul Attreides Universe, and knowing what was to come, I enjoyed them a lot more.

Hell, in the early noughties when I had a sucky commute I was even able to keep the bile down long enough to enjoy the Anderson/Brian Herbert efforts. To a point, anyway.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.