D U N E (2020) Page 3

• nickthegun 9 Sep 2020 19:28:15 82,940 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    As someone who watched the movie multiple times before I ever read the book, I had no idea how much was changed until I read it.

Even then, he got the visual language spot on. Herbert isnít much for description so the movie more than filled in the blanks. Itís got such a good cast.

Edited by nickthegun at 19:28:58 09-09-2020
  • Your-Mother 9 Sep 2020 19:28:42 4,728 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    All except for Sting
  • Bichii 9 Sep 2020 19:29:59 3,451 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Should I read the novel first? Always wanted to but never got around to it.
  • nickthegun 9 Sep 2020 19:30:00 82,940 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    He looks the part, though. Heís jacked like a ginger Bruce lee in lightspeed briefs.
  • nickthegun 9 Sep 2020 19:31:08 82,940 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    Should I read the novel first? Always wanted to but never got around to it.
    If you struggle to find time for the book, the syfy mini-series are both on amazon prime and are pretty faithful and actually quite decent.
  • ChiefGB 9 Sep 2020 19:31:51 12,719 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It has my attention. Iíve seen the old film when I was much younger and was aware it was shit. It didnít leave much of a good impression but it is all I know of it and Iíve forgotten that. Hereís hoping this is decent then.
  • Your-Mother 9 Sep 2020 19:38:28 4,728 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The first four books are good. The next two are...eh. Nothing else after that is worth reading, except the Dune Encyclopedia.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 9 Sep 2020 19:40:10 33,164 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    If you struggle to find time for the book, the syfy mini-series are both on amazon prime and are pretty faithful and actually quite decent.
    Oh nice, is the first series on there now? I saw Children of Dune had appeared the other week, but couldn't find Dune anywhere. Been wanting to rewatch it for ages.
  • nickthegun 9 Sep 2020 19:43:43 82,940 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Oh yeah, itís gone. Justwatch says itís literally not available anywhere, probably in anticipation of the movie.

Piracy it is, then.
  • ChiefGB 9 Sep 2020 19:44:44 12,719 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Think Iíll wait for the film. book commitment wonít work and Iíd rather see something fresh Than an older interpretation now.
  • Dgzter 9 Sep 2020 19:56:07 3,309 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I do love the original book. A classic case of reading it when I was young and very impressionable, which now makes it somewhat difficult to objectively critique.

That said, there's no denying it's a mite heavy on the old theology; and there's still a lot of mileage in the debate whether it truly succeeds as an anti-imperialist/anti-colonial novel or ultimately ends up perpetuating the very same colonialism it seeks to reject.
  • JoeBlade 9 Sep 2020 19:56:35 5,233 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Your-Mother wrote:
    The first four books are good. The next two are...eh. Nothing else after that is worth reading, except the Dune Encyclopedia.
    I really ought to read them again some time, I don't remember much. What I did take away is the first one having a very different writing style and tone compared to the others. Could've been editing of my copy, Herbert's style changing or a sign of the times.
    I liked all of them to varying degrees but only the first is a real classic for me. And I hate the gigantic cliffhanger Chapterhouse ends on with a vengeance to this very day.

I hope we can all agree everyone should stay well away from anything Brian Herbert was involved with though.
  • the_milkybar_kid 9 Sep 2020 19:58:48 8,295 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I only ever played the PC game (the point and click one) back in the say, but it really captured my imagination. Ive got little other attachment to the franchise, but that looks brilliant.
  • Load_2.0 9 Sep 2020 20:01:31 32,060 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Been excited for this for a whole. Happy with the trailer.

I liked the first Dune miniseries, Children of Dune I wasn't so keen on, though it's been a long time so it's a fuzzy recollection.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Sep 2020 20:01:38 14,571 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Your-Mother wrote:
    The books started to lose me once the children were wearing worm suits and merging with them and stuff like that. A step too fantastical for me.
  • Gl3n Moderator 9 Sep 2020 20:20:50 6,813 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Looks immense. I've been hyped for ages, but judging on those 3 minutes they've nailed it.

The original movie was stunning for visual design, and although it had many issues I really enjoy it as an accompaniment to the first book.
  • Bichii 9 Sep 2020 20:22:36 3,451 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah I will probably just jump on the Amazon show then. I used to love a good book but just don't feel there is time these days as there are so so many entertainment options. I know I'll love the film as I love all the directors previous works.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Sep 2020 20:25:03 14,571 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Bichii I had to pop into work for something today and the hour each way on the bus are the longest reading sessions Iíve managed all lockdown
  • Bichii 9 Sep 2020 20:30:31 3,451 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Back in the day there were only a few games a year to play, sod all on TV and the occasional big cinema release. Now there is a few decent games a month out, Netflix, Amazon TV shows and movies, loads of cinema releases, YouTube, Instagram etc. There's just no time for a big epic novel anymore! Just games, I've got well over ten games installed waiting to be played. Too much choice.
  • challenge_hanukkah 9 Sep 2020 20:32:40 13,046 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago

I do hope they do it justice
  • StixxUK 9 Sep 2020 20:52:10 8,367 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Trailer looks wicked

Not sure about the choice of soundtrack
  • Your-Mother 9 Sep 2020 21:05:48 4,728 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Drax looks the absolute part as Beast Rabban.
  • nickthegun 9 Sep 2020 21:11:01 82,940 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:
    I suppose other choice for a movie like this would be

[dialogue] BWAAAAM [dialogue] BWAAAAM [dialogue] BWAAAAM [dialogue] BWAAAAM coming December 2020
  • Hiphopopotamus 9 Sep 2020 21:26:10 83 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    StixxUK wrote:
    Trailer looks wicked

Itís not the usual from Hans Zimmer, he obviously wanted something different
  • JoeBlade 9 Sep 2020 21:54:47 5,233 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Hiphopopotamus wrote:
    StixxUK wrote:
    Trailer looks wicked

Itís not the usual from Hans Zimmer, he obviously wanted something different
    Well what do you know: to my great surprise I've found posts suggesting that the trailer music is indeed Zimmer's and it is indeed meant as a nod to the failed film adaptation's soundtrack.

Still doesn't mean it'll even be in the film though but it is very unlike Zimmer for sure.
  • Waffleaber 9 Sep 2020 22:36:52 787 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Your-Mother wrote:
    The books started to lose me once the children were wearing worm suits and merging with them and stuff like that. A step too fantastical for me.
    Yeah I powered through the latter half of Children of Dune but that was weird enough. The opening chapter of God Emperor lost me completely.

This looks amazing. Villeneuve looks like he's nailed the feel of the books and it's got a chance of living up to some very high expectations.
  • anephric 9 Sep 2020 22:39:01 4,334 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I had a bit of a sex wee this evening thinking I'd watch the trailer for Dune when I came home because I went to see Tenet tonight, and they already had it in with the other trailers.

My erection was mighty and I was muttering GOM JABBAR and BEAST RABBAN at my incredulous missus.

Edited by anephric at 22:54:41 09-09-2020
  • anephric 9 Sep 2020 22:41:08 4,334 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hmm, and the trailer at the cinema was different! It just had a bit of the Gom Jabbar and then fleeting clips of the cast.
  • Derblington 9 Sep 2020 22:42:43 33,884 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Iíve not read the book so I have no real reference but thereís some beautiful stuff in the trailer.
  • anephric 9 Sep 2020 22:47:02 4,334 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The full trailer is FUCKING AMAZING.

Is there a setting above PUMPED? This looks absolutely incredible, Villeneuve is really going for it. The tracking must be UNBELIEVABLE. Love the Pink Floyd cover in the trailer too.

Still no Feyd Rautha, have they dumped the character?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.