D U N E (2020) Page 4

Next Last
  • Your-Mother 9 Sep 2020 23:38:34 4,728 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Probably saved for the second part or just combined into Rabban. Aside from the gladiator match he really doesn’t do much in the first half of the book anyway.
  • beastmaster 9 Sep 2020 23:38:57 21,216 posts
    Seen 42 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    This is probably total bullshit (I hope) but there’s talk of this moving to sometime in 2021. Why? Because this is not a guaranteed hit and WB (and cinemas for that matter) want a big blockbuster in December. So they’re going to push WW84 into that December time slot and move Dune into 2021 sometime.

Sounds like something WB would consider doing though,
  • thelzdking 10 Sep 2020 22:07:15 10,183 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I can't remember the last time I was this pumped for a film. Perhaps Blade Runner 2049, actually. Cheers Denis.

Anyway, the design looks amazing. Skarsgard is going to awesome as the Baron.

Pink Floyd and anyone covering them can fuck off though.
  • anephric 10 Sep 2020 22:53:43 4,334 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I dunno, I think the lyrics are quite apt.

Also Dune nerds are in paroxysms because Jodorowsky was going to get Pink Floyd to do the soundtrack for his aborted version of Dune in the 70s, so it's a nerdgasm all round.

I'm a bit of a Dune nerd, so I had a bit of a paroxysm.
  • Nanocrystal 10 Sep 2020 23:35:16 2,204 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Can't say I was pumped for Bladerunner 2049, I was against a Bladerunner sequel from the start and was convinced it was going to be awful (plus I didn't like Arrival at all). Turned out it was utterly brilliant and arguably better than the original. Totally on board for anything Villeneuve does now.
  • dfunked09 10 Sep 2020 23:42:55 261 posts
    Seen 10 seconds ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    @Nanocrystal
    Yeah, +1 for that. Arrival wasn't the masterpiece some made it out to be, but still a decent film. I didn't bother going to see 2049 at the cinema because it just felt like a pointless sequel, but really regret that now.

Edited by dfunked09 at 23:43:58 10-09-2020
  • thelzdking 11 Sep 2020 01:54:35 10,183 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    anephric wrote:
    I dunno, I think the lyrics are quite apt.

Also Dune nerds are in paroxysms because Jodorowsky was going to get Pink Floyd to do the soundtrack for his aborted version of Dune in the 70s, so it's a nerdgasm all round.

I'm a bit of a Dune nerd, so I had a bit of a paroxysm.
    Fair enough and you're probably right. I'm just not a big fan of prog.
  • FoxMoody 11 Sep 2020 07:59:19 73 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Don't come at my carrying torches but I've never read the books.
    I've watched Lynch's movie about 5 times I and really enjoy it.
    But to right a wrong done so long ago, I decided to buy the buy deluxe edition so I'm looking forward on starting my Dune journey.
  • Nemesis 11 Sep 2020 09:09:42 19,742 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    dfunked09 wrote:
    @Nanocrystal
    Yeah, +1 for that. Arrival wasn't the masterpiece some made it out to be, but still a decent film. I didn't bother going to see 2049 at the cinema because it just felt like a pointless sequel, but really regret that now.
    It was definitely a cinema film. Was loving it until the gentleman behind decided to start on his individually foil-wrapped sweets.

We were in a prime position as well, but I couldn’t be doing with the noise. Cinema was almost empty so it made it louder.

I moved. Seats were not as good, and I could still see the toffee eater a few rows down. Every now and again he’d check his phone and light up the room. Which is just what you want in a moody quiet atmospheric film.

Quite took me out of the zen moment the film was giving me. Annoys me to this day. Cunt.
  • Nemesis 11 Sep 2020 09:10:51 19,742 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Bet he’s there for Dune. I think I’ll just cut him if he is. YOU WANT A TOFFEE NOW?
  • Nanocrystal 11 Sep 2020 09:42:09 2,204 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cinemas are the absolute worst.
  • IRWATWO 11 Sep 2020 09:57:04 763 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    Cinemas are great, other people are the absolute worst
  • Tonka 11 Sep 2020 09:58:48 31,087 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I went on the final weekend of 2049. Smaller screen viewing. PACKED, with middle aged geeks like me.

Absolutely fantastic experience. So glad I went. Everyone was sitting in rapt reverence. I actually prefer 2049 to the original, eventhough I realise it's not as groundbreaking.

Will probably risk my life to see D U N E at the cinemaaahh.
  • anephric 11 Sep 2020 10:40:00 4,334 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nemesis wrote:
    Was loving it until the gentleman behind decided to start on his individually foil-wrapped sweets.
    There is a Harkonnen among you.
  • Devilligan 11 Sep 2020 10:53:01 642 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    FoxMoody wrote:
    Don't come at my carrying torches but I've never read the books.
    I've watched Lynch's movie about 5 times I and really enjoy it.
    But to right a wrong done so long ago, I decided to buy the buy deluxe edition so I'm looking forward on starting my Dune journey.
    I started reading the first book a couple of weeks ago in preparation for the new film and so far I'm really loving it. Detailed world building and big, slightly mad ideas. Also it feels surprisingly modern considering it's 55 years old. Kind of like Game of Thrones in space.

Not sure about moving on to the other books, though. I've heard they get increasingly rubbish as they go on.
  • Nexus_6 11 Sep 2020 11:01:20 5,252 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I started reading Foundation after the trailer buzz for the Apple TV series. Not really grabbed me so far to be honest.
    I have never read the books or seen the films or series of Dune either so might get into the book ahead of seeing this. Then I can be a book wanker!
    Although I won't be rushing to the cinema for anything for the next year or so at least...
  • nickthegun 11 Sep 2020 11:17:38 82,940 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Devilligan wrote:
    Not sure about moving on to the other books, though. I've heard they get increasingly rubbish as they go on.
    The first story arc, really, is four books and are definitely worth reading. If you go up to God Emperor of Dune, you get what the point of everything is, reasonable closure and all the characters you care about are now dead.

Past that, you get a couple of books that start a new, concluding storyline that are half completed by Frank Herbert and then face planted over the line by his son.

But, yeah, the first four are definitely worth your time. The line through from Dune to GEOD is really interesting and pays off nicely.

Edited by nickthegun at 11:17:59 11-09-2020
  • tadejpogacar 11 Sep 2020 11:33:29 297 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    The spice must flow.
    https://twitter.com/IntoExtraTime/status/1303833063625908224
  • IRWATWO 16 Sep 2020 21:13:22 763 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    https://youtu.be/oI0Cd73lxcw

A potted history of Dune. I have the encyclopedia referred to (now getting on for 40 years old, fucking hell) but if you don't, a rundown of galactic history. Stop at 6.30 if you don't want to spoil the film :)

Honoured Matres, he pronounces marr-trays. I thought it was mate-rez.
  • FoxMoody 17 Sep 2020 09:26:14 73 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Really hyped for it tho I can barely stand Jason Momoa.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.