Following Demon's Souls Remastered - PS5 Page 46

• quadfather 21 Nov 2020 14:52:30 37,655 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ah, there you are, winged spear. Right, fuck you world 2, you're going down.
  • quadfather 21 Nov 2020 14:57:47 37,655 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Worlds wrote:
    @TheBlackDog agreed with the weighty feel. Was trying to say this before. Feels different to a newcomer than the other From games.

I was also wondering about the half health. Whatís that all about?
    Yeah, it's more weighty and visceral. Really enjoying the combat more than the original, even.

In the first level, there's a ring called the cling ring. As others have said, it increases your health to 75% instead of the 50% you get in soul form.

Basically, never take it off.

Each time you get human by killing bosses, go to the Nexus and suicide off a high ledge to put yourself back in soul form. (There aren't any character tendency penalties if you die in the Nexus, whereas there is if you die in human form in a normal level)
  • quadfather 21 Nov 2020 15:07:37 37,655 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't think I'm ever going to stop playing this.
  • wuntyate 21 Nov 2020 15:42:55 16,022 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Ah, there you are, winged spear. Right, fuck you world 2, you're going down.
    Where is it you find that?
  • retro74 21 Nov 2020 15:45:55 3,463 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    For those that played the original

Does it still feel like Demonís Souls? Is the atmosphere the same? Does the general shiny-ness of it all detract from the feel of a broken, desolate world?
  • quadfather 21 Nov 2020 15:46:45 37,655 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @wuntyate

Dragon bridge in 1-2. It's in that annoying middle spot so you have to be quick or get roasted.

Saying that though the winged spear +2 can drop the Skelly's now so I've just nabbed the crescent falchion
  • Awimbawe 21 Nov 2020 15:48:06 671 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yep to echo everyone else, the combat feels really nice and meaty now - superb stuff. Pleased to hear it's lost none of the atmosphere, just finished 3-1 and can feel that my jaw has been clenched through most of the level. Those little bell sounds still get to me !
  • quadfather 21 Nov 2020 15:50:03 37,655 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    retro74 wrote:

Does it still feel like Demonís Souls? Is the atmosphere the same? Does the general shiny-ness of it all detract from the feel of a broken, desolate world?
    Yes, you can feel the original mechanics underneath the shine. Atmosphere is better I think. In a slightly different way. And the way they've tarted it up makes it feel even more fucked, in my opinion - weeds growing out of cracks seem to accentuate the decay more.

But the sound, oh man, you're going to love the sound.

But even more than that, wait till you start going toe to toe with melee. It's truly great - much more impact. Fights seem a bit more desperate and loud. Grunting, heavy breathing, it's like every monster is trying their damnedest to kill you.

All in all, fucking marvelous!
  • quadfather 21 Nov 2020 15:54:02 37,655 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @retro74

Also, in most of the levels I've been in so far, there are some really nice background ambient noises. In boletaria, it's distant screams, shrine of storms has invasive storm weather sounds. Really nice stuff
  • Theshape80 21 Nov 2020 15:56:16 392 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    So I got invaded on 4-2 for the first time. Didnít have many souls and was at the beginning so I had nothing to lose. It was a close battle that I eventually lost. My heart broke though after he used a spell on me that broke all my gear! Going back to the blacksmith to repair and itís 22k souls! Iím devastated.
  • monkman76 21 Nov 2020 16:09:51 17,299 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Each time you get human by killing bosses, go to the Nexus and suicide off a high ledge to put yourself back in soul form. (There aren't any character tendency penalties if you die in the Nexus, whereas there is if you die in human form in a normal level)
    Why, what's the downside of being human?
  • Rogueywon 21 Nov 2020 16:10:18 10,178 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    4-1 down. That's very much a "git gud" stage, isn't it? Trash mobs were creaming me to begin with, but beating them was about learning how to fight them, not levelling up.

The boss is a piece of piss.
  • Mark1412 21 Nov 2020 16:10:48 1,865 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bought some surround speakers recently and I've been stood on top of the part of the castle where the dragon flame-attacks the path just admiring the sound design - the echo around the mountains as it circles and the beating of the wings as it flies over. Terrifying. Fair that it's getting attention because it looks outrageous, but the sound is every bit as good.

Didn't play this on the PS3 back in the day but having played all the Souls/Borne games since, feels so good to be back in a From game with no knowledge going in.
  • Rogueywon 21 Nov 2020 16:11:09 10,178 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    Dying in human form in a stage shifts the world tendancy towards black, making enemies harder (but increasing the souls they drop). It's also annoying getting it back to white.
  • quadfather 21 Nov 2020 16:21:02 37,655 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    monkman76 wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    Dying in human form in a stage shifts the world tendancy towards black, making enemies harder (but increasing the souls they drop). It's also annoying getting it back to white.
    Plus certain things open and/or close in dark/white tendencies. It's best to work on that by going offline to better manipulate the tendency as online, you inherit the server average of all player contributions.

This is where it gets a little obtuse and I'd highly recommend investigating this beforehand.

You can also be invaded in human form by other players too.
  • Rogueywon 21 Nov 2020 16:24:15 10,178 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Remind me, does killing a boss as a summoned phantom give you a shift towards white?
  • monkman76 21 Nov 2020 17:34:02 17,299 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @quadfather is the winged spear good then? Scales with dex? I managed to grab it from the bridge. Had started to pump strength but maybe I should go dex.
  • Malek86 21 Nov 2020 17:38:03 11,273 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Rogueywon no, only your character tendency changes if you are a summoned phantom or invader.
  • Worlds 21 Nov 2020 17:43:19 220 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Ok so Iíve paused it to watch the footy but ooooh Iím far in now and havenít died this time (first world).

The only thing is, Iím doing well but then two guys with spears come at me and I shit myself, forgetting the composure that got me here.

For example, if two spear guys are attacking, whatís the best form of strategy. Use shield then strike when they slow, dodge with roll or just move back whilst they attack attack then stop and you strike? Silly I know but still donít feel Iíve perfected the art of taking on a reasonable enemy.
  • mothercruncher 21 Nov 2020 17:44:33 18,378 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    retro74 wrote:

It actually enhances it. So well done.
  • mothercruncher 21 Nov 2020 17:55:22 18,378 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    This guyís Souls content is excellent, worth a watch for a prťcis of some basics here:

• greenmekon 21 Nov 2020 18:11:30 570 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I never played the original, but loved and completed Bloodborne, but I cannot beat the knight with the red eyes, just get killed everytime, any advise?

Edited by greenmekon at 18:31:24 21-11-2020
  • wuntyate 21 Nov 2020 18:14:48 16,022 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @greenmekon Yeah, do him later!
  • ZuluHero 21 Nov 2020 18:18:01 9,576 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    retro74 wrote:

It feels more oppressive if that's possible. Also feels more like a place, the vistas and weather are amazing.

The first time I saw a volumetric lightning flash in Latvia I almost crapped myself.

Edit, Latvia, lol, stupid autocorrect. Latria obvs. :D

Edited by ZuluHero at 18:20:05 21-11-2020
  • Malek86 21 Nov 2020 18:18:54 11,273 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Worlds I can only speak as an agile fighter with no shield: keep backing down until you understand their moveset, and then strike when you see an opening. If there's more than one enemy, try to separate them: find a narrow hallway, or get close to one of them and then back up immediately, so one of the enemies will lose some time attacking the air.

It takes some practice, but it's not hard really. But it does rely on you being able to move around quickly.
  • Malek86 21 Nov 2020 18:20:12 11,273 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    The first time I saw a volumetric lightning flash in Latvia I almost crapped myself.
    I lived in Riga for three months and yeah, I can confirm the lighting at night was pretty cool. Maybe should have worn something heavier though, I almost got pneumonia after crashing at pubs and leaving at 3am one weekend too many.

Edited by Malek86 at 18:22:34 21-11-2020
  • retro74 21 Nov 2020 18:22:38 3,463 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @quadfather thanks for that. So good to hear that itís lost none of the atmosphere

Hopefully I get to play it this side of Xmas!
  • greenmekon 21 Nov 2020 18:32:27 570 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:
    Oh ok, I assume I needed to kill him to progress, thanks
  • ZuluHero 21 Nov 2020 18:40:21 9,576 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    ZuluHero wrote:
    I lived in Riga for three months and yeah, I can confirm the lighting at night was pretty cool. Maybe should have worn something heavier though, I almost got pneumonia after crashing at pubs and leaving at 3am one weekend too many.
    :)

I really hope that Latvia is nothing like Latria.
  • ZuluHero 21 Nov 2020 18:41:35 9,576 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    greenmekon wrote:
    wuntyate wrote:
    Oh ok, I assume I needed to kill him to progress, thanks
    Best advice for newbies is follow the fog doors. They lead you through the areas. If you find a big one, you're about to die. I mean, fight a boss ;)
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.