• ZuluHero 21 Nov 2020 18:43:37 9,576 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Started exploring 4-1, amazing location. Can't wait to see the rays
  • quadfather 21 Nov 2020 18:43:51 37,655 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Remind me, does killing a boss as a summoned phantom give you a shift towards white?
    Mm not sure. I know if you kill phantoms that invade you, you get a bit. Not sure if that's character tendency or world tendency though
  • quadfather 21 Nov 2020 18:48:01 37,655 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    @quadfather is the winged spear good then? Scales with dex? I managed to grab it from the bridge. Had started to pump strength but maybe I should go dex.
    It's what I call a 'safe' weapon. You can poke from behind a shield and it's go great reach. Upgraded a couple of times and it's quite formidable. I'm using the crescent falchion instead at the moment because even though it's not as powerful as the spear, it also does some magic damage so is very good against world 2 and 4.

It's a mainly dex weapon, yes but it's quite low level and as you need a certain amount of strength and dex to weird stuff, it's normally worth a few points to get it up and running imo. At least till you find something else.

Oh, and it's great for narrow corridors
  • quadfather 21 Nov 2020 18:52:15 37,655 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Worlds wrote:
    Ok so Iíve paused it to watch the footy but ooooh Iím far in now and havenít died this time (first world).

The only thing is, Iím doing well but then two guys with spears come at me and I shit myself, forgetting the composure that got me here.

For example, if two spear guys are attacking, whatís the best form of strategy. Use shield then strike when they slow, dodge with roll or just move back whilst they attack attack then stop and you strike? Silly I know but still donít feel Iíve perfected the art of taking on a reasonable enemy.
    What malek says really, and what you're saying too. They can be a bloody pain - the trick is, if you have a quick go at them and they're getting the better of you - then your approach either isn't the right one or you're not timing it right.

Have a practice against one of them, and try all the things you say. If it's one, I'd probably just lock on, circle him and after he attacks, Wade the fuck in.

If it's a narrow corridor and the wanker is in front of you, then try and bait him by going forwards and backwards until they attack. Block it, and then Wade in
  • Malek86 21 Nov 2020 18:58:42 11,271 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @ZuluHero well, they both have an old lady singing to passerbys. Or had, at least. It was more than seven years ago.

(I was later told that old lady was an ex-singer who turned to street artistry and was pretty famous in town)

But yeah, not a whole lot of tentacle monsters shooting people. Too bad, that.

Edited by Malek86 at 18:59:21 21-11-2020
  • Worlds 21 Nov 2020 19:01:52 217 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    @quadfather Good stuff. Reassuring to hear, as thatís what Iím doing. Just didnít know if it was Ďrightí.

Im just tricking them by getting close, stepping away/circle around for them to do their attack at thin air, then I wade in. Just felt a bit naff, but it works so, fuck them.

Fearing my first boss. Going to shit myself. As long as you restart at the boss, and not the level (again), Iíll be fine.
  • Rogueywon 21 Nov 2020 19:08:38 10,178 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    That's 3-1 done and with no deaths to boot. Bit surprised about that as I remember finding that area painful last time around.
  • Malek86 21 Nov 2020 19:09:03 11,271 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Worlds wrote:

Fearing my first boss. Going to shit myself. As long as you restart at the boss, and not the level (again), Iíll be fine.
    Boy, do I have some news for you.

(I hope you unlocked as many shortcuts as possible)
  • Mark1412 21 Nov 2020 19:22:06 1,865 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I found the first boss pretty easy, which set all kinds of alarm bells ringing. Found it reassuring when I was decimated within about 3 seconds by the boss in 1-2.
  • Kernowgaz 21 Nov 2020 19:26:10 124 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    Worlds wrote:

Hahahahaha
  • quadfather 21 Nov 2020 19:34:03 37,655 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Worlds wrote:
    @quadfather Good stuff. Reassuring to hear, as thatís what Iím doing. Just didnít know if it was Ďrightí.

Im just tricking them by getting close, stepping away/circle around for them to do their attack at thin air, then I wade in. Just felt a bit naff, but it works so, fuck them.

I know what feeling you're describing as I felt that too. But there's no real trick, it's more a case of learning them. We get so used nowadays to just whacking stuff and progressing, and then when you play this and die, you think, what the hell am I doing wrong. That's normal. All you need is tons of practice, like anything else to master it. Takes time, so just enjoy it and forget how long it takes to learn and then you'll start feeling comfortable with taking stuff on. Baby steps.

For the boss in 1-1, once you've done the level, opened the boss fog and inevitably died due to panic, you then start about 30 steps away, so it's no stress.
  • quadfather 21 Nov 2020 19:38:31 37,655 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    By the way, anyone know if the arrow cheese method for spider boss works or not still?
  • f00b_inc 21 Nov 2020 19:39:08 863 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Kernowgaz wrote:
    Malek86 wrote:
    Worlds wrote:

Hahahahaha
    Made me chuckle :)

Also fuck the spider demon!!! Lack of magic or bows is really hurting. Used up most of my items trying to beat the bastard. I will give up and come back later...

Edited by f00b_inc at 19:41:48 21-11-2020
  • breedob 21 Nov 2020 19:43:31 673 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @quadfather safely arrowed him with purple flame shield in hand earlier.
  • Malek86 21 Nov 2020 19:47:11 11,271 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Kernowgaz really though, some of the shortcuts will cut the level time considerably (for example, 1-1 is just a matter of walking to the gate once you have unlocked it). Some others, on the other hand, remain pretty long even after you have opened the shortcuts (I'm pretty sure you can't shave a lot of time off 1-4 for example).

It doesn't matter all that much, because once you know the layout, running back to the boss shouldn't take as long.

Remember this though: you'll only be able to run switfly to the boss if you know where all the enemies are, and how to avoid them safely. That's why you should make it a point to explore the level thoroughly and try not to run from any encounters. That will also make it easier to fight in general: if you leave scorched earth behind you, then you'll have a lot of ground to fall back on in case you get overwhelmed. If you leave mobs behind for whatever reason, you'll find them on your path just as you are trying to run from a stronger enemy. And then you are screwed.

Bottom line, running should only be done when you need to travel back to the boss.

Edited by Malek86 at 19:48:35 21-11-2020
  • greenmekon 21 Nov 2020 20:19:59 570 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fuck yeah, first boss defeated, fucking loved it, a serious sense of satisfaction unlike most other games.
  • Rogueywon 21 Nov 2020 20:28:23 10,178 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    5-1 done. Ah, the joys of proto-Blighttown.
  • Worlds 21 Nov 2020 20:45:45 217 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Good advice - I feel much better about this now. And haha, I wonít ask about where you start after dying with most bosses. Oh god.

Just a quick one; i got the Archstone Shard next to the dragon (not a spoiler, right), shall I transport back to the nexus quickly and err give my souls or something? Or just carry on through level 1?
  • Worlds 21 Nov 2020 21:10:52 217 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Scrap that. Iíve only gone and beaten the first boss first time! I know itís not hard but, ahh, what a great feeling. Cheers!

Edited by Worlds at 21:10:58 21-11-2020
  • Kernowgaz 21 Nov 2020 21:15:26 124 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    @Kernowgaz really though, some of the shortcuts will cut the level time considerably (for example, 1-1 is just a matter of walking to the gate once you have unlocked it). Some others, on the other hand, remain pretty long even after you have opened the shortcuts (I'm pretty sure you can't shave a lot of time off 1-4 for example).

It doesn't matter all that much, because once you know the layout, running back to the boss shouldn't take as long.

Remember this though: you'll only be able to run switfly to the boss if you know where all the enemies are, and how to avoid them safely. That's why you should make it a point to explore the level thoroughly and try not to run from any encounters. That will also make it easier to fight in general: if you leave scorched earth behind you, then you'll have a lot of ground to fall back on in case you get overwhelmed. If you leave mobs behind for whatever reason, you'll find them on your path just as you are trying to run from a stronger enemy. And then you are screwed.

Bottom line, running should only be done when you need to travel back to the boss.
    I remember the run to the next boss, not being as quick on the Ps3 version. Iíve just reached that part now.
  • bluenose 21 Nov 2020 21:22:42 54 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Are you meant to beat the Phalanx. Got killed 1st time and got sent to the nexus. Does it matter that I didn't kill the blob ?
  • bluenose 21 Nov 2020 21:22:44 54 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Are you meant to beat the Phalanx. Got killed 1st time and got sent to the nexus. Does it matter that I didn't kill the blob ?
  • Rogueywon 21 Nov 2020 21:23:59 10,178 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @bluenose You'll need to kill the Phalanx to advance.
  • Gruff 21 Nov 2020 21:32:54 3,722 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @bluenose You'll need to kill the Phalanx to advance.
    Bit of a run around after you do as well, I found. God, its a gorgeous game.

Surprised myself by killing Phalanx first time, and yet to sustain a death myself. That won't last :)
  • Worlds 21 Nov 2020 21:36:26 217 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Iím going to go ahead and kill myself in the nexus now.
  • Rogueywon 21 Nov 2020 21:38:16 10,178 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Worlds Make sure you level up and spend your souls first!
  • Worlds 21 Nov 2020 21:42:53 217 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    @Rogueywon lucky I waited for a reply! 😂 Upgraded my weapon but didnít do all that. Nearly lost it all there.
  • retro74 21 Nov 2020 21:51:50 3,463 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Suiciding isnít an absolute necessity, Iíve never done it other than one play through when I was going for the platinum and needed to manage tendencies

Iíd just play through normally. Always spend your souls, always upgrade your weapon, if you find a level too hard grind a few levels, have fun
  • ZuluHero 21 Nov 2020 21:52:32 9,576 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Plus you normally die in the next run anyway.

Edited by ZuluHero at 21:52:39 21-11-2020
  • bluenose 21 Nov 2020 22:10:10 54 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    So do I get to fight him A 2nd time , or do I have to go back and restart the level?
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.