Following Demon's Souls Remastered - PS5 Page 106

• Singularity 29 Dec 2020 12:26:15 3,259 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Just completed it. Phew!

I was having a hell of a time with the Ivory Tower bit where you have to fight another player. Kept getting mega powered magicians or people who would one shot me. But then this morning sneaked a win there, then finished the two last bosses in swamp world and the whole run through without dying again. Weird. Last boss was so easy with a bow.

Like always, I feel I totally did my whole build Ďwrongí! I finished it with my starting battle axe (up to +5) and a dagger. Only thing I really changed was my starting bow to a sticky compound bow. Was going for a strength build, but ended up enjoying and using the bow a lot. I just never really found any particular weapon or armour that I found suited me better than what I had. I might have over levelled a bit too, as I was always super cautious and didnít lose a lot of souls ever. Then I felt I cheated by summoning a couple of helpers who turned out to be grand wizard types (not KKK ones), who came in and made a couple of bosses quite easy, or by keeping my distance from bosses and using my bow rather cheesily.

Those are all self-critical complaints though. I shouldíve played more honourably! What a game. 10/10.
  • b-rk 29 Dec 2020 13:03:52 1,629 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Made some progress, it was raining Dragonstone chunks in Stonefang for some reason so got my great axe up to +4, took out the Adjudicator. Dragonstone chunks have dried up again, not sure what to do next, probably 4-2. Still putting off Flamelurker and 3-2 (I fucking hate 3-2). I could try 5-1 to get Leechmonger soul to trade for poison cloud but that whole area is full of pestilence and disease.

Having to get the arch demon soul to progress in world 1 is a real drag.
  • neems 29 Dec 2020 13:28:26 5,183 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Singularity

When Demon Souls first came out (although that's a bit nebulous in terms of time scale, as I include everything from original Japanese release, through US imports to European release) it was very much 'do what you have to do to win'. Glitching, cheesing, summoning help, it was all fair game. The objective is to kill demons and save the world, honour be damned.

Unfortunately somewhere along the line the success of Dark Souls and its sequels engendered the 'git gud' philosophy, which while fine in essence (these are ultimately games about perseverance and overcoming obstacles by learning) has led to a certain amount of snobbery from some parts of the community.

For me, even after more than a decade, Demon's Souls still has the greatest sense of community and helpfulness of all the Soulsborne games.

Basically, well done!
  • PazJohnMitch 29 Dec 2020 13:32:45 16,554 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Started a few days back. 4 demons down so far. (1-1, 1-2, 2-1 and 3-1).

Accidentally turned 2-1 dark and really, really struggled with the Armoured Spider. Was such a relief to get past that.
  • Singularity 29 Dec 2020 13:47:28 3,259 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @neems Thanks!
  • LFace 30 Dec 2020 15:14:08 153 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    And he's down! Completed :D
    After dozens of attempts on Allant and barely getting 1/3 off his health, I had a godlike fight with him and killed him with only a couple of heals needed. That's what I love about souls games, there doesn't seem to be an in-between; you're either getting your arse handed to you or you've mastered the tactics and you dominate.

Schoolboy error, NG+ I used up the souls to have a shit ton thinking I can finally stat faith for the moon sword forgetting that the wee keeper isn't there for leveling at first so now I need to go all through 1-1 and hope i don't lose the 250k worth of souls...
  • retro74 30 Dec 2020 18:19:46 3,565 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @LFace well done! Itís great when you get in the zone and trounce a previously unbeatable boss with ease

Youíll have shit tons of souls in NG+ before long so I wouldnít worry too much
  • PazJohnMitch 2 Jan 2021 12:54:47 16,554 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Despite been terrible at the game I have popped off 7 bosses so far. Making very slow progress but at least I am making progress. Was somewhat down a few days ago when I had 3 bosses I couldnít do. The most annoying bit being that 2 of them seemed straightforward enough but I was too rubbish to beat them.
  • PazJohnMitch 6 Jan 2021 22:24:02 16,554 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Now completed worlds 2 to 5.

Not fought the boss of 1-3 yet.
  • dominalien 6 Jan 2021 23:22:18 10,216 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Not so terrible after all, eh.
  • PazJohnMitch 6 Jan 2021 23:27:46 16,554 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It seems to have gotten a lot easier. (Probably a sign I am now vastly over levelled compared to what I should be).
  • LoneWolf80 13 Jan 2021 22:08:37 176 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Finished this evening, absolutely loved it from start to finish. My first souls game.

Only January but my GOTY !

10/10
  • Humperfunk 17 Jan 2021 19:22:17 8,436 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    After once again being massively intimidated, I have gone back to this today as two mates have just started it. Made it all the way to the Tower Knight (not actually far!) and got my arse handed to me pretty quickly.

I've got the run to him down pretty nicely now, just need to beat the cunt.

I've gone for him straight after 1-1, should I consider doing 2-1 first or is this ok?
  • retro74 17 Jan 2021 19:34:39 3,565 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Humperfunk thatís fine, but once youíve beat him Iíd do all the -1s before any other -2s

Because 1-x has four areas it means 1-2 is almost like a x-1

If that makes any sense at all!
  • Humperfunk 17 Jan 2021 23:17:14 8,436 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Haha thanks mate, I think I see what you mean!
  • PazJohnMitch 17 Jan 2021 23:28:51 16,554 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think 4-1 is a tad harder than the other x-1s. Although the boss is easier than it appears.

5-1 seemed very easy and I probably should have done it sooner although I think doing 3-1 before it is sensible.
  • captbirdseye 17 Jan 2021 23:41:28 10,241 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Dragon Bone Smasher is sooo satisfying. Watching enemies fly all over the place will never get old.
  • PierrePressure 18 Jan 2021 10:59:40 1,260 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I cheesed the tower knight with magic. I slowly managed to chip away at the boss (aim for the head) and use the surrounding areas to block incoming attacks.

Managed to beat Flamelurker on my 2nd go yesterday, I did grind a bit with the skeletons in 4-1 so it has made things a bit easier but I'm not massively OP so it's still quite a challenge. Just about to try 3-2, not sure why but I am not looking forward to it!
  • PazJohnMitch 18 Jan 2021 11:09:31 16,554 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Flamelurker is far, far harder than Maneater in my opinion.

Only real danger of Maneater is falling off the platform which is mainly circumvented by staying in the middle part.
  • PierrePressure 18 Jan 2021 11:17:12 1,260 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Demon's Souls has done a great job of cementing my love for this type of game but only if there are areas where I can grind for a bit! I've completed Bloodborne and will hopefully complete this, do the DS games have areas of grinding?

Always liked the look of Sekiro too but that one looks impossible for my skill set.
  • Gregolution 18 Jan 2021 11:19:38 10,691 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    After looking forward to this release the most, I only just started playing it weirdly.

Thankfully I've forgotten most of the game since PS3 days and enjoying it. I went straight to 3-1 after 1-1, but damn the run is quite long from the start of the game to the boss! Maybe I'm missing a shortcut or something but having to run up all those stairs, past 2 squid faces and down loads, across the arrow trap seems like a massive run compared to what I'm used to in Souls games these days. /shrug

Also I tried the stone to help another player out to have a peek at the boss and it sent me into another world as an invader?? What's that about, I thought that was to offer your services in coop?
  • Gregolution 18 Jan 2021 11:20:39 10,691 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    PierrePressure wrote:
    Demon's Souls has done a great job of cementing my love for this type of game but only if there are areas where I can grind for a bit! I've completed Bloodborne and will hopefully complete this, do the DS games have areas of grinding?

Always liked the look of Sekiro too but that one looks impossible for my skill set.
    I'm awful at games in general and never done any grinding in any souls game, completed all of them and got the platinum in a couple. It's really not required.

I hate the whole concept of 'grinding' in games. Think probably wow did me in completely.
  • GumboVariations 18 Jan 2021 11:21:36 82 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    @PierrePressure The reaper/mage thing in 4-2 of Demon's is one of the best farming spots in all of Souls.

Plus, if you have Evacuate, you can zip back to the Nexus and dive right back into 4-2, the loading really helps this.
  • captbirdseye 18 Jan 2021 11:35:06 10,241 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I hated 3-1. A really boring maze of not much going on with very little enemies. The boss is also a total roll over.

Flamelurker is rock solid if you go full strength build due to fat rolling and found him the hardest boss for early to mid game.
  • Gregolution 18 Jan 2021 11:37:51 10,691 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @captbirdseye

Yeah it's not my favourite that's why I did it first
  • Gregolution 18 Jan 2021 11:44:10 10,691 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh I remember now why the blue stone isn't working.... I get summoned as the boss
  • PazJohnMitch 18 Jan 2021 12:06:17 16,554 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    3-1 is a long way from spawn to boss but there are only 3 or 4 enemies on route once you have cleared the path.
  • captbirdseye 18 Jan 2021 15:45:56 10,241 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It takes about a couple of minutes to get from the spawn to the boss area. My Dragon Bone Smasher just wrecks everything in its path now and that's even before I sort out the cursed weapon path.

Went to 5-1 last night and that place isn't frustrating at all. I don't think I like the dark and drab indoor environments in this game. The outdoor ones are so much better.
  • PazJohnMitch 18 Jan 2021 16:26:42 16,554 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I put off 5-1 and 5-2 far too long based on comments in this thread. Ended up doing the bosses on the first attempt.

Also did 4-2 and 4-3 bosses first time but that was mainly because I found the 4-2 level really hard and only committed to the boss once I was certain I could reach it without dying on failed boss attempts.
  • ChiefGB 18 Jan 2021 17:19:46 13,194 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Depraved chasm is killing me, literally. Itís the plague that does me in more than anything else. Get to the pit with the rats and I canít get through without getting nibbled. Then, just past thatís there bloody great big goblins, that are nails, Fucking hell.
    Iím a level 33 temple knight. Iíve done all the others -1ís and 1-2. Do I need an item? Missed a shortcut? Or to git gud?
    Thinking about it maybe I should block one handed, perhaps this will avoid getting plagued?

Edited by ChiefGB at 17:32:51 18-01-2021
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.