Assassin's Creed: Valhalla Page 15

• Scimarad 23 Nov 2020 10:29:54 9,926 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @scott1987

lol, that's the bit that has put me off! I was enjoying Norway but the second we get to England (which inexplicably exists) the first thing we have to do is raid a Monastery. FFS Vikings, is that your answer for everything? I did nip into the settlement to see if I could do a heist instead but it's not having it...
  • DUFFMAN5 23 Nov 2020 10:56:21 26,465 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Big-Swiss
    Re the windows, I mentioned this awhile ago, it makes Arno look like he knew what he was doing!😲
  • Mola_Ram 23 Nov 2020 11:46:18 25,155 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What is up with the camera in this game, I don't recall having to fight it nearly as much in Odyssey.
  • Mola_Ram 23 Nov 2020 11:57:12 25,155 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Also, is there any stealth in the game? I've just done the first main mission, crept up on a couple of guys and only really had the option to axe them normally.
  • robthehermit 23 Nov 2020 12:00:58 8,177 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Mola_Ram You pick up that skill very early on.
  • Mola_Ram 23 Nov 2020 12:13:13 25,155 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ok cool, I was beginning to think I'd downloaded the wrong game.
  • johnnyrocketfingers 23 Nov 2020 14:40:38 355 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Big-Swiss I expect an update will let us carry the outfit with us.
  • Big-Swiss 23 Nov 2020 15:37:03 9,434 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    @Big-Swiss
    Re the windows, I mentioned this awhile ago, it makes Arno look like he knew what he was doing!😲
    you did. its not just the windows, the windows are just the most common problem. This game is so weird, it is good enough to keep on playing, but its bad enough that you need to tell people about the frustration you get somethimes. I believe Ubisoft is getting away with more here than other companies with other games. Just because its Vikings.
  • Big-Swiss 23 Nov 2020 15:39:08 9,434 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    johnnyrocketfingers wrote:
    @Big-Swiss I expect an update will let us carry the outfit with us.
    I expected them to make an update so the seer story bug would get fixed and I could keep on playing the game. After 3 days of waiting I gave up and started a new game from scratch and followed the exact path so the bug wouldn't trigger. They still havent fixed it, the only solution is still to start a new game.
  • beastmaster 23 Nov 2020 15:45:22 21,841 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I've not touched this game or Watch Dogs yet. Will wait till it's got a couple of patches. I suppose I'll get my open world fix from Yakuza.
  • Phattso 23 Nov 2020 16:00:24 26,479 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I think we're definitely seeing the impact of COVID-19 playing out here. Both new consoles launch with fucking SHOCKING bugs, deficiencies, and missing features. And all the big tentpole releases appear to be doing the same. Only COD seems immune so far, but I guess that's a live service game anyways so patching and tweaking is par for the course (assuming the 35 minute single player campaign has been in the can for months now).
  • Mola_Ram 24 Nov 2020 12:58:44 25,155 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I like some of the minigames in this. The insult contests are pretty funny (though easy), and the dice is like slightly more complicated Yahtzee. It's no Gwent, but it's not bad.

Anyway, I'm not really sold on the combat yet. It feels a bit fiddly, though I do like the "target weak point" thing that the bow has. I used that quite a bit when I was killing a giant deer thing.

One thing I love love love is that the weapons and armour don't seem to be tied to your level anymore. That really shat me in Odyssey, like it was trying to be an RPG.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 13:13:23 24-11-2020
  • Timmywimmywoo 24 Nov 2020 13:44:43 52 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I genuinely don't get the whinges from the wider internet with this. I'm seriously enjoying it – definitely my favourite AC of all time already. The setting, the way you don't have a million side quests distracting you… the way it looks and feels on my Series X. I'm honestly loving it, and it feels gorgeous at 60fps. I see the odd bit of screen tearing but it honestly doesn't affect my enjoyment of it.
  • robthehermit 24 Nov 2020 15:46:04 8,177 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I only really notice the tearing in the cut scenes.

Tip of the day:

Don't run into poison gas clouds carrying a torch. It might get rid of the gas, but getting set on fire isn't fun.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 24 Nov 2020 15:53:43 33,534 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Never in my wildest dreams did I think Assassins Creed would take me to the exotic utopia of Norwich.
  • robthehermit 24 Nov 2020 15:57:01 8,177 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @StarchildHypocrethes I think you mean Northwic :D
  • MrWonderstuff 24 Nov 2020 16:06:19 3,503 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Timmywimmywoo wrote:
    I genuinely don't get the whinges from the wider internet with this.
    Just because. It's hip and cool to moan about AC and Ubisoft in general. I'm a little sick of it. Don't fucking play their games. It's AC you know what you are getting. FFS. The vocal minority just come across as beligerent and entitled fuckwits - especially the PC users who have bought 3090s and are moaning moaning moaning. I'm a PC user and I don't behave that way. Wankers the lot of 'em. Ahem.
  • Rhaegyr 24 Nov 2020 16:30:32 5,309 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Think there's more to it than that - same template across all their open world games, bullshit marketing that they never follow through with, bugs galore, massive amounts of bloat etc.

Also sounds like they have some really scummy people working at Ubisoft with everything that's come out lately.
  • MrWonderstuff 24 Nov 2020 17:30:46 3,503 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    OK so don't play and boycot them. Simples.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 24 Nov 2020 17:39:49 33,534 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm thoroughly enjoying this. Finding it a lot more enjoyable than Odyssey. The atmosphere is great and it just seems a bit more focused on the story it's trying tell and l a little less bloated. Plus the prog rock concept album soundtrack is weirdly perfect.
  • Phattso 24 Nov 2020 19:20:35 26,479 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I am full of regret that I chose Watchdogs over this for my Series X launch game... and have ended up trawling GamePass instead. If I can resist a purchase until CyberPunk comes out I should be able to pick it up cheaply in the new year.

\twitches
  • johnnyrocketfingers 24 Nov 2020 22:06:17 355 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    For anyone that hasn't visited Hadrian's Wall yet. I would recommend going from west to east along the battlements. No real reason other than you get a nice little read of some several documents and in this order you conclude in a much better way. Reason in spoiler: You read letters of a "watcher" reminding all to 'light the beacons. By doing it in the order I suggested you'll end up finishing by finding him frozen by a beacon with a letter that just fits as the final one.

It's nothing to do with the story or any quest. It's just a world detail.
  • Mola_Ram 25 Nov 2020 00:59:10 25,155 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's early days yet, but so far another thing I really like is the Pathfinder thing. I like that the points of interest are just little glowy things, and that I can see them while walking around without having to use the map. It makes the experience much less cluttered, and the game feel less bloated (though I'm sure it still is bloated, given how big Odyssey was).

At times it feels a bit too hands-off, though. I ran into one guy near the starting town who wants me to... kill something for him? So he can prove himself as a warrior or something? But it doesn't appear to be marked in my quest tab, and it's not clear exactly what kind of thing he wants me to kill for him. A beast, sure, but is that a wolf? Bear?

I assume that he doesn't want my giant elk head.
  • robthehermit 25 Nov 2020 01:40:09 8,177 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Mola_Ram It's not exactly clear what you need to do for a lot of the "World Events". That one is fairly straight forward, but a few of them have had me reaching for google.
  • Big-Swiss 25 Nov 2020 08:15:29 9,434 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    MrWonderstuff wrote:
    Timmywimmywoo wrote:
    I genuinely don't get the whinges from the wider internet with this.
    Just because. It's hip and cool to moan about AC and Ubisoft in general. I'm a little sick of it. Don't fucking play their games. It's AC you know what you are getting. FFS. The vocal minority just come across as beligerent and entitled fuckwits - especially the PC users who have bought 3090s and are moaning moaning moaning. I'm a PC user and I don't behave that way. Wankers the lot of 'em. Ahem.
    well i would debate on this. Is it AC? Do you really know what you are getting anymore? and can't some bugs be more gamebreaking than others?

I have played every AC game there is, it is my favorite series. And Vikings is my favorite subject regarding movies and series and stuff. So win win, right? no, not everything is as good as it should be somethimes. the combat could really be better.

For instance the point of not having gear related to level. Very good move. But they twerked it so hard, that gear is almost pointless. not so good move.

anyhow, I'm lvl 260 now, and the last hours have given me most enjoyment. I can go pretty much whereever I want to go now and fight whoever I want to fight and not having any boundries makes it a better game
  • MrWonderstuff 25 Nov 2020 08:45:33 3,503 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    If someone has been living under a rock over the passed five years when AC changed direction then maybe it would be percieved as 'different'. My point is moaning about the Ubisoft formula is like moaning about Dark Souls being full of boss battles and obtuse storytelling - it's what is appealing to the people that play it. I'd argue even the bugs are quite funny (game-breaking ones notwithstanding). BTW Valhalla is my equal favourite with Syndicate. Not a popular view to purists maybe but then I'm not a purist - I'll give anything a go (heck I completed Demon Souls and got quite far into Dark Souls and I hate boss battles and obtuse storytelling).

Edited by MrWonderstuff at 08:47:22 25-11-2020
  • robthehermit 25 Nov 2020 09:24:38 8,177 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Loving the little easter eggs in this. Keith Flint and One Punch Man have been particularly amusing.
  • Rhaegyr 25 Nov 2020 09:45:01 5,309 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MrWonderstuff wrote:
    OK so don't play and boycot them. Simples.
    I'm not sure what you're saying - if you don't like the game/formula don't criticise it, just ignore it and don't comment?
  • johnnyrocketfingers 25 Nov 2020 10:01:04 355 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yes. There are thousands of other games to potentially satisfy. Not everything has to cater to you specifically. I don't like the formula for Dark Souls, for example, but don't go out of my way to talk about it.

Anyway...

Gameplay has really just widened in to a larger area; what was once contained to one city is now opened to a nation or greater. I played the AC3 remaster recently and I found it sad you had to load between regions. At the core though, AC is still AC, exploring antediluvian ideas and shining more light on the Isu that had such a profound impact on the human race (in the AC verse anyway)

If anyone has played a lot of the previous games you will find a LOT of shout outs and eggs for yaself. This game really is tying a lot of stuff together in a cool way.

Also really would like to chat about the Asgard stuff.
  • scott1987 25 Nov 2020 10:03:39 222 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Timmywimmywoo I second this, I couldn’t agree with you more buddy. I’ve suddenly become in love with this game and I’m not complaining
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.