Assassin's Creed: Valhalla Page 19

• Rum_Monkey 1 Dec 2020 14:46:11 1,959 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    I thought it was the headset at first being a bit dodge as its new. But then the same crappy sound from the Soundbar, and a quick Google says it's the game.

Shame as sound is so important to a game like this.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 1 Dec 2020 14:48:51 33,534 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I keep seeing people mention the sound, but it seems absolutely fine for me.
  • captbirdseye 1 Dec 2020 14:49:46 10,241 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It's just generally bad and feels a bit cheap.
  • RyanDS 1 Dec 2020 15:26:28 13,673 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bollocks. Just died in a mission and have lost nearly 90 minutes of progress. Must be something fucked up with the autosave. Have 3 autosaves and all take me back to the same point. Says saved a minute ago but actually lost loads of progress.

Fucking annoying. Have a whole settlement of dice / drinking/ 3 missions / one paper flying / 3 wealth to collect again.
  • DUFFMAN5 1 Dec 2020 16:28:40 26,465 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @RyanDS
    I went to save last night and upon doing so the game clock stated 14 hours played...only issue being the previous (diff save file) slot had a playtime of 14h 40m.
    Luckily I noticed before coming out, so just pressed save again and this time the game clock stated 15h 50m. I'm not sure if it would have been ok without resaving, but strange all the same.
  • MrWonderstuff 1 Dec 2020 19:19:37 3,503 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Never noticed sound issues. Not looking for them I suppose. Been bimbling around Yorkshire over the passed couple of days and it's a little bit colder than when I went walking up there a few years back. Hadrian's Wall is an interesting location. The devs have deliberately not put much up there except for snow, the wall and the odd crumbling/not crumbling tower. This is turns out to be a good thing - hardly any icons, just you and the environment - quiet - peaceful (occasionally) and total change of pace. Shame I can't jump over and go walking into Scotland - DLC?

Edited by MrWonderstuff at 19:20:15 01-12-2020
  • Daeltaja 1 Dec 2020 20:58:37 1,977 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sound issues are very noticeable. Mostly it's enemy attack sounds just stopping mid-way through. Quite annoying.
  • Daeltaja 1 Dec 2020 21:02:56 1,977 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Combat is fine when swatting through enemies, but the boss battles shine a light on just how poorly implemented it is. They are trying for Souls combat without understanding the nuances of it. Enemy attack patterns are all over the pace, just constant spam, or shield up and hit detection is a mess. Some of the boss attacks are just pure cheap, too. I wanted to play this through on the hardest difficulty but had to drop it down 2 levels out of sheer frustration (and not the Souls kind).

There's a dozen less-funded games out there with much better combat. It's a shame, because this game would be next level with a proper combat system.

Edited by Daeltaja at 21:08:53 01-12-2020
  • MrWonderstuff 1 Dec 2020 21:27:48 3,503 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Glad they didn't go too far into Dark Souls combat - Not a fan of arena styled boss battles no matter how pretty or 'nuanced'. My grief is that Dark Souls fans wanting more Dark Souls combat in everything - "Sugar Puffs with a dash of Dark Souls sir?" is ruining gaming. If you want Dark Souls....um...ah...play Dark Souls?
  • Frogofdoom 1 Dec 2020 21:29:14 17,220 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I would have happily had ghost of tsushimas combat though.
  • Your-Mother 1 Dec 2020 21:50:16 6,203 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm enjoying the combat. Yeah, there are a few moments where it's really badly telegraphed and the parry/dodge windows are completely unclear (looking at you, person with stupidly long poison spear who also does flying kicks), but I quite like it otherwise. I'm rocking a dagger that stunlocks most common enemies with a quick light attack combo, and combined with the slo-mo on a perfect dodge perk, it makes up for the lack of range by brutalizing everyone around me if I pay attention. There's a certain level of skill to it that can overcome enemies higher level than you (up to an extent), but that isn't as brutally demanding as Dark Souls. It's good for someone as cack handed as myself.
  • Frogofdoom 1 Dec 2020 22:04:44 17,220 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh I'm enjoying it too, its just not as slick as GOT. Its definitely better on a harder difficulty as well as i was just parrying and stun attacking everything on the default level.
  • Your-Mother 1 Dec 2020 22:08:17 6,203 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Itís honestly the most fun Iíve had with an AssCreed game since 2. 4 I played quite a bit of but never really finished, everything up to Origins was kind of ďehĒ, and both Origins and Odyssey I only got around 8 hour in before peeling off.

Iím sure next gen rejuvenating my gaming interest in general is having a hand on it as well though.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 1 Dec 2020 22:09:06 33,534 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    GoT was just rock paper scissors in fancy dress.

Spot enemy type. Switch to correct stance. Win.

The only cool bit was the QTE when you first ran into a group.
  • Decks 1 Dec 2020 22:20:30 28,417 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    There was so much more to it than that, especially when you knock up the difficulty. It embarrasses these games for general gameplay in all honesty. I really struggle with them now which is annoying as I love the worlds.
  • Phattso 1 Dec 2020 22:29:16 26,479 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I enjoyed even AC Origins more than Tsushima, but the combat in the latter was really very good. Add that to the AssCreed trappings and I might never need another open worlder.
  • Daeltaja 1 Dec 2020 22:36:18 1,977 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    MrWonderstuff wrote:
    Glad they didn't go too far into Dark Souls combat - Not a fan of arena styled boss battles no matter how pretty or 'nuanced'. My grief is that Dark Souls fans wanting more Dark Souls combat in everything - "Sugar Puffs with a dash of Dark Souls sir?" is ruining gaming. If you want Dark Souls....um...ah...play Dark Souls?
    Exactly. I don't want Dark Souls in this, just something polished and enjoyable.
  • Big-Swiss 2 Dec 2020 13:50:15 9,434 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I dont need Dark Souls combat in other games. But I need better combat than ACV provides. That said, they do have some good ideas within their combat system. But they missed to keep combat interesting. If you have the big fights, that is the most went you realize that combat is very poor designed.

that and the skill tree. I'm still not sure what that is about, even after boosting 352 points into it.
  • MrWonderstuff 2 Dec 2020 14:42:42 3,503 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I think the variety of skills gives combat a broad brush with which to
    dispatch your foes. Nothing quite like returning a launched great axe back at the wielder - never gets old. Having said that, the bow is overpowered as I can dispatch many of the bosses (well the ones which wander the lanscape) fairly easily using the double shot. I can't believe I feel a little sense of guilt when I dispatch one with three or four shots and they never got close to me.
  • Daddy-Doom-Bar 2 Dec 2020 19:21:27 2,985 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've had some sound issues - mostly random tinny-ness to sounds, like the audio was recorded in a bathroom.

Ubi Connect is down, so I can't play my single player game. C**ts.
  • MrWonderstuff 2 Dec 2020 21:38:46 3,503 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The only sound issue is on startup - sounds like someone crunching through the snow. Does anyone else get that?
  • Your-Mother 2 Dec 2020 22:16:23 6,203 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I donít get any sound glitches or problems, itís just generally low quality all around. Not hugely noticeable without good headphones, but very noticeable with, especially when you play something else afterwards.
  • Rum_Monkey 16 Dec 2020 17:24:52 1,959 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    They've finally added some ps5 controller functionality to the game. Only when you use your bow but it's a start.
  • robthehermit 16 Dec 2020 17:32:18 8,177 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    They've also patched the dive of the valkyries glitch which was great for bypassing barred doors.
  • Timmywimmywoo 16 Dec 2020 19:05:10 52 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @robthehermit noooo
  • Ultrasoundwave 17 Dec 2020 11:30:07 6,257 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Iím trying to buy the PS5 season pass for the Mrs, but canít find a standalone version of it anywhere?

Anyone got any ideas??
  • robthehermit 17 Dec 2020 11:36:08 8,177 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Post deleted
  • robthehermit 17 Dec 2020 11:53:36 8,177 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Ultrasoundwave

https://www.eneba.com/psn-assassins-creed-valhalla-season-pass-dlc-ps4-psn-key-europe?currency=GBP

I've never used them, have no idea if they're legit or not so you'll need to do your own research.

I originally deleted this link because it says PS4, however, having checked on the PSN store they don't differentiate between platforms, so there's every chance the code will work regardless. As above though, you'll need to check that yourself.
  • RyanDS 17 Dec 2020 17:29:19 13,673 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    "SMACK MY BISH-UP"

Brilliant!
  • robthehermit 17 Dec 2020 17:41:21 8,177 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Some of the easter eggs are great.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.