Assassin's Creed: Valhalla Page 20

• RyanDS 17 Dec 2020 18:29:21 13,673 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The flying paper stuff is utter bullshit. You would have thought after 20 games they would have devised a control scheme you aren't fighting non stop by now. Half my play time is screaming as the TV as eivor goes around the window not through it, or gets superglued to something.
  • JamboWayOh 17 Dec 2020 22:12:46 22,445 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    The flying paper stuff is utter bullshit. You would have thought after 20 games they would have devised a control scheme you aren't fighting non stop by now. Half my play time is screaming as the TV as eivor goes around the window not through it, or gets superglued to something.
    I think the movement and animation in Unity was the best the series has even been but then they ditched all that stuff.
  • Phattso 17 Dec 2020 22:37:19 26,479 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Around the time that they realised the CPUs in the PS4 era consoles were utterly wank, but the GPUs had grunt to spare, I imagine. "Let's just make it suuuuper pretty, but puddle deep - make about 200hrs of content so nobody notices".

Credit to them, I thought Origins was chuffing excellent. :)
  • Big-Swiss 18 Dec 2020 08:08:06 9,434 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    the last 10 hours of it i was just playing because I wanted to reach the end and then have a final opinion about. nothing changed at the end. I'm playing ghost of tsushima now, and this the far better assassins creed game. But Ubisoft is clever, they took the Viking formula, which is smart, and then pumped money into the advertisement.

After loving Origins and Odysee I bought into it, thinking this will be my game of the year. But its just an average peace of mess. Boring fucking story. But I understand, once we are hyped for a game, its hard to admit that this is not really as good as it should be.
  • DUFFMAN5 18 Dec 2020 08:51:25 26,465 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Big-Swiss

Hard to argue with what you say Swiss. I'm only 20 hours in though, but would say of the trilogy of new AC games, this is my least fav by a stretch. Origins being my fav BUT Kass being the greatest Assassin yet.

I actually bought Immortals yesterday as it was only £33. I have heard and read mostly good things about it, so will probably sack off ACV until I play and complete it.

My biggest disappointment with Ubi this year is WD3 though, I was so looking forward to that.
  • consoledelight 18 Dec 2020 13:28:37 242 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @RyanDS
    Im glad its not just me then. Even climbing a rock face can turn into a nightmare where he suddenly just decides to stop climbing.
  • MrWonderstuff 18 Dec 2020 15:17:37 3,503 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm happy with my 150 hours playtime so far...still not finished. It's my favourite since Syndicate. Interesting characters/missions/environments. It's great to see England during this time (nice to see Malmesbury get a mention in a document I found - where I lived for a while and where Atheltstan - Alfred's grandson who proper got a united England sorted - is buried). Horses for courses I suppose.

I don't normally like minigames but Orlog was really engaging as well(much like Gwent in W3).

I found Orgins pretty dull in comparison and Odyssey was fine with Cassandra being a good character to play although that seemd to drag a bit at the end.

So Valhalla > odyssey > Origins.

Edited by MrWonderstuff at 15:23:59 18-12-2020
  • JamboWayOh 18 Dec 2020 16:35:26 22,445 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm finding Valhalla to be a bit of a chore tbh, I really like Origins but found Odyssey far too big for the sake of being big. I think the Egyptian setting resonated with me more and I really liked Bayek. I don't have any enthusiasm for Eivor and I'm just finding the combat rather one note.
  • Globalmeltdown 18 Dec 2020 17:27:04 939 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    60 hours in and I actually like it very much, better than origins but a little inferior to Odyssey. Iím playing on hard and level 200 but still finding certain enemies a challenge, it looks absolutely lovely in places too😊
  • Reacher 19 Dec 2020 09:35:03 3,027 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've binned it. It's as if they just took the cool viking era setting, and hampered it by putting an awful AC game over it.
  • beastmaster 21 Dec 2020 13:31:27 21,841 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Started playing this on the Series X a couple of days ago. Oh my...

Not played one of these since Syndicate which I really enjoyed. Massive game and I'm really enjoying it in Quality mode. I stopped off at an island before going back home as part of the first mission and had a look around. Was underpowered at that point but still managed to do a couple of quests etc.

Also, the tutorials are a bit shit. Or rather lacking unless I missed something. Didn't realise I had a fucking horse I could use or I could meditate to pass time. But it all becomes very familiar very quickly.

Right now I'm stuck trying to find a comb. Don't know how much longer I'll spend on it.

Honestly not played many games at all this year but this seems to have dragged me back in.

Edited by beastmaster at 13:31:55 21-12-2020
  • Nemesis 21 Dec 2020 13:45:19 19,876 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Is it for songs? If itís the same as Black Flag you could sit where they start and theyíd respawn after doing their annoying journey next next to you. Not played Valhalla yet, so maybe they fixed it or maybe itís a different thing. I hated chasing the paper.

Edited by Nemesis at 13:45:48 21-12-2020
  • Mola_Ram 21 Dec 2020 14:04:30 25,155 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No, the reward for getting the stupid bits of paper is... tattoos. When I realised that the rewards are literally cosmetic, I stopped doing the things. I've gotten a lot better at ignoring the things I don't like in these games.
  • Globalmeltdown 21 Dec 2020 14:10:53 939 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @beastmaster the item your looking for is in the lake near the waterfall, press the LS down when underwater and it should highlight it for you 😊

Edited by Globalmeltdown at 15:30:31 21-12-2020
  • beastmaster 21 Dec 2020 14:11:31 21,841 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Globalmeltdown

Thanks!
  • MrWonderstuff 21 Dec 2020 14:44:05 3,503 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @beastmaster There's more than one reward ;-)
  • johnnyrocketfingers 21 Dec 2020 17:39:37 355 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Paper stuff is really forgiving and you can even intercept it knowing the route.
  • JamboWayOh 21 Dec 2020 17:56:39 22,445 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    No, the reward for getting the stupid bits of paper is... tattoos. When I realised that the rewards are literally cosmetic, I stopped doing the things. I've gotten a lot better at ignoring the things I don't like in these games.
    Yeah, the same. It's not even convincing busy work.
  • Daeltaja 23 Dec 2020 23:42:36 1,977 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Favourite thing about this game is smashing stained glass windows.

(It's a joy to explore, too. The world is stunning.)
  • Globalmeltdown 24 Dec 2020 09:50:11 939 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Got the permanent drunk bug from playing a Yuletide mission, really getting on my nerves and Iím thinking of stopping until they patch it hopefully 😢 this game is brilliant but way too many problems with broken quests and other bugs.
  • captbirdseye 24 Dec 2020 10:08:16 10,241 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I didn't realise it was bug and assumed It was tied to festival in general. It only happens every time I load into the game.
  • MrWonderstuff 24 Dec 2020 10:10:29 3,503 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Globalmeltdown wrote:
    Got the permanent drunk bug from playing a Yuletide mission, really getting on my nerves and Iím thinking of stopping until they patch it hopefully 😢 this game is brilliant but way too many problems with broken quests and other bugs.
    Just meditate when that happends. The passing of time fixes it - as per real life.
  • HelloNo 24 Dec 2020 10:30:16 2,253 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I thought I'd got it as I dropped the barrel of mead into the river and couldn't complete the quest.
  • Rum_Monkey 24 Dec 2020 10:53:57 1,959 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    captbirdseye wrote:
    I didn't realise it was bug and assumed It was tied to festival in general. It only happens every time I load into the game.
    Yeah I thought the same. Goes quickly enough.
  • beastmaster 26 Dec 2020 17:22:31 21,841 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Did 12 hours before getting to a England. Did the first raid and then started thinking itís all a bit samey. Thought Iíd do a couple more things and ended up speeding 5 hours just messing around.

I do need another game to play as well as this and Iíve got plenty. Donít know which one Iíll pick.

Even though Iíll stop playing after Iíve had enough, after about an hour, Iím itching to get back onto it.

Edit: Iíve been hammering it. Completely addicted.

Edited by beastmaster at 22:59:29 26-12-2020
  • RyanDS 30 Dec 2020 10:36:53 13,673 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    And done.

Hmm... 104 hours on the save but can't really say I liked it al that much. It just had the perfect timing, a huge timesink during lockdown to stave off boredom. Finished all quests, killed all cultists, 4 trophies missing which are all "collect 1,000,000 random items" which I have skipped.

The Good:

It looks lovely
    I liked parts of the story, especially the last couple of hours, the final revelations, the last few character moments etc all really worked for me.
    Some fun bits like the Prodigy tribute
    The world is lovely and huge with some great mysteries and scenery.
    I love the lore additions.

The Bad:

Oh God! The platforming is fucking terrible. I spent more time screaming at the screen "JUST LET GO OF THE FUCKING WALL!!!" than I did playing at times. The less said abut the areas that require some precise controls the better. (See the fucking awful paper chases.) I remember the EG Spiderman review where they say it is magic and the game predicts your moves. Well this is the opposite. Want to go THROUGH the window? Guarenteed you will climb around. Want to use your special attack on that Goliath enemy? Eivor will jump OVER him and one shot the easy guy behind using up your last adrenaline spot.

It is too big. 105 hours and I have done maybe 70% of Mysteries, 70% of wealth and 50% of artifacts. It. Just. Never. Ends.

The plot makes no sense midway. Suddenly there is mistrust and acccusations for no reason. Characters will argue and accuse each other of something that makes perfect sense in story.

Lots of little stupid UI and design decisions. Want to buy 200 iron (of course you do, every single time you see a merchant you want to.) Okay, press right to increase the amount you want to buy in single increments. Really annoying waiting 20 seconds to watch the guage increase. Why not just have a "buy max" button? When you fast travel to a viewpoint you don't face the jump point. Stupid stupid minor point, but when you load at a jump point you instinctively jump forward and die. Just have the fucking Eivor character pointed in the right direction at load!

All in all it feels like they got lots of very talented people, some good writers and lots of money and lacked a good project manager to oversee it all. It clearly has so much money, love and attention to detail put into it, but it never feels like someone's vision or anyone was willing to take a risk. If they put the effort into the gameplay that they have into the world it would be so much better.

It is not Red Dead levels of style over substance (at least this game is playable, that was the worst game I have ever played) but it really needs so gameplay improvements to go with the world.

6 maybe 7/10
  • UncleLou Moderator 30 Dec 2020 12:05:04 40,251 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    This f*game. Iíve finished it. . Well, except I havenĎt, because thereís a bug that prevents me from getting the quest to do the very, very last thing. Which I found after googling because it still didnít work after I spent 19 hours doing to abysmal quest lines that wouldnít even have been necessary if the game worked correctly.

Thereís some stuff that is fine in this game, and some beautiful vistas, but itís not nearly enough to save the game from the dour dialogues, glitches,and some mechanics that would have felt dated at the end of the 1990s.

5/10. Liked Odyssey much, much more.
  • RyanDS 30 Dec 2020 12:08:44 13,673 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What quest?
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.