Assassin's Creed: Valhalla Page 22

• Rum_Monkey 14 Jan 2021 10:28:04 1,959 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    The sound in general is awful and very glitchy. The whole game is full of jank really, cut scenes are awful for it.

But I keep coming back to play it so must be doing something right. Just Rescued Sigurd from fulke hopefully nearing the end now. I'm ready for something else.
  • captbirdseye 14 Jan 2021 10:29:02 10,241 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Not even close to the end :(.
  • monkman76 14 Jan 2021 10:29:25 17,700 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Tuffty wrote:
    I did the mission where you have to raid the fortress in Leicestershire.
    This sounds so weird. Kind of makes me want to play the game, even though I'm currently bouncing off Odyssey after 20 hours or so.
  • Rum_Monkey 14 Jan 2021 10:30:40 1,959 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    @captbirdseye fuck me, I'm going to have to stop doing the side bits and just crack on with missions now.
  • RyanDS 14 Jan 2021 10:32:34 13,673 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Rum_Monkey wrote:
    The sound in general is awful and very glitchy. The whole game is full of jank really, cut scenes are awful for it.

But I keep coming back to play it so must be doing something right. Just Rescued Sigurd from fulke hopefully nearing the end now. I'm ready for something else.
    Haha. Maybe half way I think. Depending on the order you do stuff.
  • captbirdseye 14 Jan 2021 10:33:16 10,241 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The game has so many points where you think it's close to end but in reality it's another 20hrs. I think just doing the main story missions is easily 40 - 50 hrs.
  • monkman76 14 Jan 2021 10:35:56 17,700 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Are we going through gaming's late 70s prog rock phase? So many over-indulgent sprawling messes in the AAA space. We need a punk movement to bring back the tight 10-hour single player campaign.
  • Blakester 14 Jan 2021 10:44:53 5,179 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I think this is my favourite AC so far. I'm 25 hours in and itching to get back to it.

That's despite:

1. The first 5 hours being crushingly dull
    2. The numerous glitches that prevent you from completing missions
    3. The absolutely atrocious cut scenes which I skip whenever possible

What I really like is the hunt for resources to upgrade your town/abilities. Those little orbs of gold on the map are like catnip, I just gotta get 'em.

It does look stunning in places too and the combat is nice and crunchy, especially the finishing moves.
  • Rum_Monkey 14 Jan 2021 10:50:06 1,959 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    Are we going through gaming's late 70s prog rock phase? So many over-indulgent sprawling messes in the AAA space. We need a punk movement to bring back the tight 10-hour single player campaign.
    I don't mind sprawling games, but mix it up a little at least. Or offer a sense of discovery rather than moving from one icon to the next.
  • beastmaster 14 Jan 2021 12:33:28 21,841 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Humperfunk wrote:
    Loving this but do hope it ends one day, approaching 80 hours and still going! I think I am on the final county though so should be done soon.

Whilst I do appreciate the amount of content in it, they probably could have reigned it in a fair bit. I skipped Odyssey because Origins was so huge to the point I needed a three year break!
    I'm in pretty much the same position. What is a pain is that there may be in icon on the map for some armour and I'll sneakily go around and take everyone out only to find no way into the building whatsoever. A quick google and it says you have to play through the plot to gain access to it. A tad frustrating.

Nevertheless, I carry on playing. In deep into the plot and once an alliance is formed, I go for all the treasure.

There was one trial that I did and it reminded me of peak Tomb Raider. Odin Vision really helped but the layout of the cave was superb. Some of the mysteries are very funny and the setting is excellent.

I even like the plot. It has a couple of "Game of Thrones" moments were I didn't see the plot twists coming.

Overall, I'm having a great time with this. As soon as I finish work, I'm booting this game up. There's a patch out today which fixes a lot of bugs. Even better.
  • RyanDS 14 Jan 2021 12:58:46 13,673 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Rum_Monkey wrote:
    monkman76 wrote:
    I don't mind sprawling games, but mix it up a little at least. Or offer a sense of discovery rather than moving from one icon to the next.
    Oh god. By the end of the game it is just: Oh there is a house. Will it be the four hundredth and twelfth time I:
    Look at the front to see if there is a gap above the door
    Use the bat detective mode to search for a key
    Look twenty metres in all directions for a bomb
    Find the hole to shoot through to destroy the bar.
    Knock down the reeds blocking the hole.

Literally 5 variations repeating maybe 200 times throughout the game, so much to do but so so repetitive and uninspired. I donít think there was a genuine new mechanic or variance on anything after the first 30 hours of play.

Like every single time you see a hole in the floor covered by rocks you know you either shoot the stuff hanging above it or find the convenient bomb local.
  • Rum_Monkey 14 Jan 2021 13:16:20 1,959 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Yeah exactly, it's just a cut and paste exercise stretched out over 100hrs.

I think I would have binned it off if it wasn't the first ps5 game I got.
  • DUFFMAN5 14 Jan 2021 13:59:51 26,465 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Just played for the first time since Dec 17th, only 20+hours in but really struggling after the splender of the two previous titles, this feels very drab. I don't mean time period specifically, as I like it. The characters, overly confusing skill paths etc just feel very uninspired.
  • HelloNo 14 Jan 2021 14:05:10 2,253 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Its a shame because I found the story more coherent and interesting than Odyssey's, but like you all say its stretched out so much.

There were a lot of good ideas - the flyting, stories from your crewmembers, just how incredible the whole game looked. Just frustrating sometimes.
  • Jubilee64 15 Jan 2021 03:14:04 35 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Rum_Monkey wrote:
    monkman76 wrote:
    Oh god. By the end of the game it is just: Oh there is a house. Will it be the four hundredth and twelfth time I:
    Look at the front to see if there is a gap above the door
    Use the bat detective mode to search for a key
    Look twenty metres in all directions for a bomb
    Find the hole to shoot through to destroy the bar.
    Knock down the reeds blocking the hole.

Literally 5 variations repeating maybe 200 times throughout the game, so much to do but so so repetitive and uninspired. I donít think there was a genuine new mechanic or variance on anything after the first 30 hours of play.

Like every single time you see a hole in the floor covered by rocks you know you either shoot the stuff hanging above it or find the convenient bomb local.
    Just a note, you can bypass the 10,000 hunt the red pot puzzles by using the explosive arrow 'traps'.
  • Wayne 15 Jan 2021 08:59:58 2,316 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Just played for the first time since Dec 17th, only 20+hours in but really struggling after the splender of the two previous titles, this feels very drab. I don't mean time period specifically, as I like it. The characters, overly confusing skill paths etc just feel very uninspired.
    Auto-assign for the skill points. It's the only way. That skill tree is a complete melt.
  • Tuffty 15 Jan 2021 10:47:15 4,763 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Rum_Monkey wrote:
    Ah ok, I thought something was off in that moment. Thinking of it, I did play with headphones once and dialog was very weird, some sentences Eivoe said would fluctuate being quiet and then normal so decided to stick without it.
  • captbirdseye 15 Jan 2021 10:53:05 10,241 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The sound is dreadful for this game and I genuinely thought my headphones were faulty. Going from this to something like Demon's Souls is quite a jump in quality.
  • DUFFMAN5 15 Jan 2021 11:02:31 26,465 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Wayne
    Hi Mate
    I have done that (and will continue to do so) with the last 14.
    Cheers
  • Wayne 15 Jan 2021 11:46:24 2,316 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    captbirdseye wrote:
    The sound is dreadful for this game and I genuinely thought my headphones were faulty. Going from this to something like Demon's Souls is quite a jump in quality.
    I was playing a section last night where you're in a... lets say a cavern... and the level of echo was so overly exaggerated that it pulled me right out of the game.
  • Big-Swiss 15 Jan 2021 11:57:18 9,434 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I am in love with ghost of tsushima, since I'm playing this, I never looked back to AC. It isn't perfect, but it does pretty much everything right that AC Valhalla does so wrong.
  • Humperfunk 15 Jan 2021 13:08:44 8,436 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just finished. 84 and a bit hours and got 81% trophies, just some misc ones and grind ones missing so certainly feel that I saw the vast majority of the game!

Overall, absolutely loved it. Definitely should be shorter though. Would I get the next one? Will depend if there is a pandemic on and I therefore have a lot of free time at home, any reports of a similar length and I will probably skip it!
  • ratso 15 Jan 2021 14:33:02 1,035 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I found this a bit boring to begin with and the story seems fairly generic so far.

However , I decided to take my fairly low lvl character to the hardest regions in the game and itís much more interesting. Iím not sure about enemy scaling etc. but having to use stealth while searching for loot / gear reminds me of the best parts of the old AC games.

Iíve totally ignored the story for now and Iím just on a loot spree but itís fun and challenging.
  • JamboWayOh 15 Jan 2021 14:42:09 22,445 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Yeah, I bought this not long after it came out, I don't know how I really feel about it, I got past the title credits and into England but as you say it all looks a bit drab and I've honestly just beenistening to podcasts during what little I've played of it. I feel like the series is losing what little personality it had and is just RPG Lite History Game 15. Frankly I looked at the world map and just sighed.
  • magicpanda 15 Jan 2021 14:59:19 15,086 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I probably shouldn't be playing it after 100 hours of Red Dead Online and Ghost of Tsushima but I've given it a good go (finished the area of lesteringshiringhamalmadindong) and it's a bit shit, you're not wrong Duff.

Edited by magicpanda at 15:00:37 15-01-2021
  • Jubilee64 15 Jan 2021 17:51:20 35 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I found the HDR incredibly drab on this and had to alter my TV settings. I got it looking really nice in the end. I used Live Colour on my Bravia on medium, which normally looks terrible but worked well here.

Couldn't do much about the sound though, really low quality.
  • JamboWayOh 15 Jan 2021 19:10:21 22,445 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I found the HDR to be terrible, I kinda think it was broken as it reminded me of The Division 2 which also has gloomy HDR. Turning it off made it look infinitely better.
  • Rum_Monkey 15 Jan 2021 19:15:21 1,959 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    That's the one thing that's impressed me about the game the HDR really makes it look pretty amazing.
  • SirDespard 17 Jan 2021 14:07:11 236 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    And finally done. Was so close to the Platinum I decided to go for it. The kill people whilst on fire trophy was glitchy but got there in the end. Definitely overlong. The mysteries and artifacts are fine, but could have done without the myriad of chests with weapons I never used and upgrade material that was also not required.
    Agree ending felt flat, assuming the DLC will provide more of a ďrealĒ closure.
  • Rum_Monkey 18 Jan 2021 23:28:38 1,959 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    For those that have finished, how long do I have left?

Just did "Valhala" part where basim attacks you. Why the fuck does he even attack you, made no sense unless it's explained later.

Just want it to be over now.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.