Garden Wildlife Page 2

• Nexus_6 1 May 2020 11:51:00 6,002 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    We had a sparrowhawk in the back garden last year ripping a rat or some other large rodent apart with it's claws. Called the kids to the window to watch it was ace.
    A woodpecker was spotted on the big tree once a couple years back which was exciting.
    The foxes are out every night and sometimes very early in the evening. Do a lot of noisy shagging though which isn't great.
    Had a problem with mice for a while and the nasty plastic traps i had for them gave me PTSD - they would snap shut and cut the heads off or keep the head on but peel the skin right off its face. Sometimes they got the middle of the body and it would burst the guts right out it's little arse. Highly recommend them.
    Not had much aquatic wildlife in the ponds (2 large plastic tubs dug in to the ground!) but there are loads of little slug things colonising.
    My favourite though is just the nice variety of garden birds - all different finches, different types of tit, robins etc. Lovely. My favourite mornings are when im lazing in bed and the missus shouts up from the kitchen 'THE TITS ARE DOWN' and that gets me right up and out of bed for a good look.

Edit to add the obligatory grey squirrel, the bastards. And slaters - millions and millions of slaters.

Edited by Nexus_6 at 11:51:55 01-05-2020
  • Dirt3 1 May 2020 12:08:17 1,616 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thing is frogs go back to the pond they were born in I think. So if you don't have any there to start with and there are non close around it could be difficult to get started. I don't think you are supposed to "transplant" frogs from ponds into the wild, but I doubt whether it would hurt if you got someone elses frogspawn and stuck it in your pond.

I think they probably need an ecosystem in the pond to survive in though.
    Plants, algae, insects. I think the adult frogs like to live in the layer of mud at the bottom of the pond, so if you don't have that then the adult frogs probably won't want to live in it. I have a couple of goldfish two, which feast on the tadpoles and are huge, but probably not anywhere near big enough to eat them all.
  • Nexus_6 1 May 2020 13:10:08 6,002 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I think you're right. Don't know enough about it at the moment to start hauling frogs away so happy to just have the snails and slugs. I have plants in it for oxygen and decoration etc. It looks good!
  • Goban 1 May 2020 13:30:23 10,120 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    My new gaff is wildlife central, It's in the back of beyond and surrounded by woods. I've seen/heard: roe deer, foxes, badgers, pine Martin's, red squirrels, woodpeckers, owls, crossbills, pheasants. There's a hell of a racket at night.
  • Dirt3 1 May 2020 19:00:37 1,616 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pine Martin.

You win the internet for today. That is an otter without the associated water faff, right ?
  • elstoof 1 May 2020 20:54:11 27,143 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Foxes are a daily sight in mine. Plenty of birds come to the feeds, the usual robins and tits, magpies trot around on my roof and often see a great big heron coming to scope out the ponds along the terrace
  • Nexus_6 1 May 2020 21:26:23 6,002 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Dirt3 wrote:
    Pine Martin.

You win the internet for today. That is an otter without the associated water faff, right ?
    Isnít that the outfit fat boy slim was in in the Ď80s?
  • macmurphy 2 May 2020 00:07:57 4,433 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    hedben2013 wrote:
    I found a rat in my compost bin the other day.

It wasn't in my kitchen so I knew what to do.
    😂this didnít get enough love
  • KD 2 May 2020 00:57:34 3,363 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Few streets back from mine is a mate living wit his back leading onto a mountain, with it being so quiet on the passing M4 nearby that a few weeks back Deer had started appearing again.
  • X201 2 May 2020 08:24:57 21,631 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Iím going to get some better quality birdseed
    I think the local birds regard me as a greasy spoon, rather than a gourmet dining experience.
  • Deleted user 2 May 2020 08:46:37
    X201 wrote:
    Iím going to get some better quality birdseed
    I think the local birds regard me as a greasy spoon, rather than a gourmet dining experience.
    Itís because you have the eating utensils chained to the bird table.

Lighten up! :D
  • DaM 4 May 2020 09:24:40 17,681 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I think our pond is finally too digusting for the frogs to return to this year. Either that or the dog has eaten them.

Should have some fox cubs soon.

Has anyone noticed squirrels being really fat? I thought they'd get fat for winter.

Edited by DaM at 09:24:48 04-05-2020
  • TheSaint 4 May 2020 09:29:18 20,651 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Spent the weekend digging a massive hole for a pond. Not really interested in fish but it should get some extra wildlife into the garden.

Absolutely back-breaking work though. I could really do with a mini-digger.
  • Nexus_6 4 May 2020 09:50:17 6,002 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @TheSaint Cool - how big? My pond system is 2 plastic tubs on 2 different levels about 900mm x 700mm by about 600mm deep and it was still heavy going, clay soil with nothing but roots and rocks after the top soil...

In a weird coinccidence, our friends about 3 miles up the road sent us a video of a sparrowhawk they saw sitting on their garden fence yesterday. IT was great. We mentioned we had seen on last year, and fished out the picture only to see it was on the 3rd of may also. Nothing in between!
  • TheSaint 4 May 2020 10:11:16 20,651 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It's about 5ft x 6ft and 600m deep in the middle. I now just need to find somewhere that will deliver the liner and then I can get on to the fun bit of actually filling it.
  • Nexus_6 4 May 2020 10:13:38 6,002 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @TheSaint Yeah you should have had a digger - bloody good work if you've done that by hand. And what did you do with all the soil that comes up?
  • TheSaint 4 May 2020 10:32:03 20,651 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It's currently in a massive pile at the end of the garden. All the rain last week had made the ground pretty soft so it wasn't too bad.
  • Lukus 4 May 2020 10:37:31 24,378 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Post deleted
  • brokenkey 4 May 2020 10:49:20 10,948 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Nexus_6 wrote:

Edit to add the obligatory grey squirrel, the bastards. And slaters - millions and millions of slaters.
    What's a slater?
  • Lukus 4 May 2020 10:50:14 24,378 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Post deleted
  • brokenkey 4 May 2020 10:52:12 10,948 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    We've got foxes, rats, bats, tawney owls, a blue and great tits, magpies, squirrels, robins and goldfinches.
  • Lukus 4 May 2020 10:52:35 24,378 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Ok, I give up on linking.

I get mostly squirrels and Dunnocks: https://lukebennettphotos.com/blog/2020/4/7/working-from-home-because-of-corona
    Blue Tits:
    https://lukebennettphotos.com/blog/2019/8/3/the-benefits-of-working-from-home-part-ii
    And the occasional mouse:
    https://lukebennettphotos.com/blog/2019/4/19/the-unexpected-quirks-of-working-from-home

This year I've got a pair of sparrows nesting nearby which is nice as I've never seen any before:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B_CTdmHj9T_/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
  • Dirt3 4 May 2020 11:34:28 1,616 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    Spent the weekend digging a massive hole for a pond. Not really interested in fish but it should get some extra wildlife into the garden.

Absolutely back-breaking work though. I could really do with a mini-digger.
    For your ecosystem planning you need the top predator.

My top predators are two enormously fat goldfish, which appear to ignore all the food I give them and feast on tadpoles. However I believe the tadpoles will soon be too big for them to eat.

Goldfish are cheap and surprisingly low maintenance. In winter the just hibernate. I inherited mine from the last owner who unthoughtfully never mentioned they were there. I discovered one one day as I contemplated filling in the pond. It loomed up out of the murky depths.

Now unfortunately I have seen so much living in there (frogs, goldfish and water snails) I cannot fill it in.
  • Dirt3 4 May 2020 11:37:26 1,616 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    brokenkey wrote:
    We've got foxes, rats, bats, tawney owls, a blue and great tits, magpies, squirrels, robins and goldfinches.
    I would love an owl. No way there is enough for it to hunt round my way though. I guess they need big gardens where they can swoop down.
  • DaM 4 May 2020 16:07:31 17,681 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    brokenkey wrote:
    Nexus_6 wrote:

What's a slater?
    Woodlouse!

Massively pleased to capture a hedgehog on our driveway CCTV last night! It recognises animals separately from people/cars. Haven't seen one for years.
  • fontgeeksogood 4 May 2020 17:02:16 12,913 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Dirt3 wrote:
    brokenkey wrote:
    I would love an owl. No way there is enough for it to hunt round my way though. I guess they need big gardens where they can swoop down.
    No, we had one in my Brighton (BN1 sized garden) place. Noisy fucker
  • Dirt3 4 May 2020 17:26:15 1,616 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    Dirt3 wrote:
    brokenkey wrote:
    No, we had one in my Brighton (BN1 sized garden) place. Noisy fucker
    I wonder what it thought about you :)

Used to have one of these in the back garden of a house I used to live in. So I know what they are like. it used to make a noise, but it was mostly early evening, not in the middle of the night. I would take that over a blackbird nest outside my window or one of those hoo hoo birds that kick off every morning. But I reckon you really need some sort of wide open space for it to hunt in.
  • Lukus 11 May 2020 15:40:20 24,378 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Not in my garden, but I saw a badger on one of my walks last week - https://www.instagram.com/p/CADIwd0j5aH/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
  • mrpon 11 May 2020 16:29:56 37,164 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Okay perfect thread. I've got a coke can sized divot in my grass, it didn't seem to be a tunnel of sorts just a divot. I filled it in with loose compost and a sprinkling of grass seed, watered etc.. Next day, said compost is strewn around and the divot has returned.

Mole? Or something else? I'm not seeing the standard pile of dirt mole hills.
  • X201 11 May 2020 16:51:52 21,631 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Badger or fox digging for worms or insects
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.