Following So how much do people use linux these days?

First Previous
  • DodgyPast 3 May 2020 10:16:29 9,342 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I've been getting back into linux recently and noticed that tools for compiling stuff off github is making managing the more cutting edge emulators rather more manageable on windows.

Plus proton means that a nice amount of my steam games are playable.

As a result of wine I've got the 3 windows apps I really need running.

The result is that I'm spending more time in linux than windows.
  • Psiloc 3 May 2020 10:29:16 5,533 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Linux: Do some of the things that Windows can do with thrice the effort
  • Dr-Strangelove 3 May 2020 13:43:27 2,287 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I run my Macbook Pro as my primary, but also a couple of linux installs (laptops, work desktop, pi's) and 1 Windows 10. laptop

I get by very fine on Linux for general computer work (development, infrastructure engineering, email, browsing, documents). I work for a Software Dev and we all use Linux there despite reliance on Office 365, but then that is cross platform these days.

My Mac is mainly there for photography work flows but can do everything I do on my Linux workstations and is my main laptop of choice (when my wife or kids aren't hogging it, particularly during the lockdown).

Windows 10 is to keep my hand in the OS (tech support toa few family members mainly being the reason) and gaming.
  • dominalien 3 May 2020 21:13:15 9,667 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Psiloc wrote:
    That makes me sad :-(
  • dominalien 3 May 2020 21:14:25 9,667 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @DodgyPast I donít think youíll find much by way of discussion about linux here. Gamingonlinux.com is better for that, but itís a very different crowd and a very different mood there.
  • THFourteen 3 May 2020 22:39:42 53,839 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I have an Ubuntu media server for no apparent reason tbh. It was way more complicated to set up than I needed it to be. But wanted something else as the other two machines I have are windows so bit of a project really.

It rarely ever needs looking at, runs 24/7
  • chopsen 3 May 2020 22:59:16 21,045 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Had a play around with it on and off since possibly the late 90s.

The problem is there has always been a really compelling reason to go back to windows. It's changed over the years, but there is always something that is more hassle than it's worth.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 4 May 2020 00:16:22 3,963 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    As much as I dislike Windows the fact that it runs everything keeps it as my only OS. Linux at least I can see some people wanting to fiddle with as it is free, but why people buy Macs still mystifies me as we are way past the era when it had a range of exclusive software like Quark, Photoshop and some of the 3D packages.

Chromebooks and the like also appeal less as I would again prefer a tablet I can natively game on withlut workarounds or hoping for a port. I suppose the lower overheads of Linux are probably good for more intensive emulators and the like though as Windows is horribly inefficient.
  • DodgyPast 4 May 2020 11:45:39 9,342 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Psiloc wrote:
    Mostly yes, but a few things are easier and for me a couple of things for work work better enough that dual booting is worth the hassle.

I actually sorted it out due to work, but then realised I could keep on the cutting edge with a few emus and that some games run really well.
  • nickthegun 4 May 2020 12:08:24 82,376 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I use it quite a bit for work as a lot of our tooling is Linux based. Like anything its a tool and I use the best thing for the job.

At work, its fine it does what I need it to and all my stuff is there, at home I want as hassle free an experience as possible to play games and whatnot, so I use windows or an iPad.
  • AboutHalfaStevas 4 May 2020 12:09:32 2,765 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    My work requires it unfortunately.

Also, I'm currently in the world of pain that is trying to sort a raspberry pi 4.

So: more than I'd like tbh.
  • Armoured_Bear 4 May 2020 12:45:54 28,876 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I use Linux at work every day but why on earth would I use it at home over MacOs? Fuck that.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 4 May 2020 15:10:46 3,963 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    I use Linux at work every day but why on earth would I use it at home over MacOs? Fuck that.
    But why would you use MacOS over Windows where you get more software and not tied to overpriced hardware? (not attacking you here but I really don't understand why people would want Macs these days yet they are popular).

Work related Linux usage makes a lot of sense with security etc and custom software.
  • neilka 4 May 2020 15:22:01 23,415 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    If you're reading this on an Android phone then you're using a Linux system to read a page (probably) served by another Linux system

• neilka 4 May 2020 15:25:47 23,415 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    And your router is running Linux too.
  • nudistpete 4 May 2020 15:35:55 1,218 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    One_Vurfed_Gwrx wrote:
    But why would you use MacOS over Windows where you get more software and not tied to overpriced hardware? (not attacking you here but I really don't understand why people would want Macs these days yet they are popular).
    I completely understand it. You buy a Mac, you're buying quality hardware (that generally lasts well and has good resale value for 5+ years after purchase) and paying through the nose for the convenience. Apple seems to be tightening up the OS to make it inconvenient to install stuff outside the "app store" as well so if you're not that technically literate it's pretty much bomb proof. The OS looks good and most productivity stuff is cross-platform enough that most users don't feel like they're missing out on Mac.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 4 May 2020 15:40:57 3,963 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yup, and isn't MacOS a linux fork these days too?

I don't care what games or software I can run on my phone as much as on my PC though. And even then I prefer the more open Android to IOS (even if it does get a few more of the interesting games that don't make it to Android) Although to be fair a lot of the software I use on PC is probably available on Linux and MacOS too. I gave up on my Microsoft OS dislike and just have to put up with it these days to play what I want.

It is buying Macs that is puzzling not using Linux as unless your work has forced one upon you (and I have heard of some workplaces only using Apple products) I don't really see the point of owning them.
  • nudistpete 4 May 2020 15:50:38 1,218 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    MacOS is a fork of some kind of BSD since X.

I personally wouldn't spend a penny of my money on any Apple product - they're overpriced and to get the same performance as my shitty Huawei phone or Lenovo laptop I'd need to spend a small fortune.

However my wife has a Macbook and for her it's worth every penny - easy to use, looks smart and the battery lasts forever. I'm almost certain that I've needed to provide her much less support than she'd need if she had bought a Windows laptop, so it saves my time too.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 4 May 2020 15:56:47 3,963 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I should have said Unix rather than Linux re. MaxOS. But as you say, they tend to be horrendously overpriced for what you get. Are they really that much easier to use for people who are less technically inclined? Never cared for aesthetics too much in a PC/tablet /phone but I always thought Apple design just looks plain and uninteresting with nothing standing out but people do seem to rave about theor looks so I guess beauty is on the eye of the beholder here.

It is scary how post ippd and iphone the Macs went from chunky very niche geek machines (and their place in publishing and early 3D work) whereas now they have become 'cool' and 'trendy' to own. Constant product placement in anything you watch these days probably helps them too.
  • DodgyPast 4 May 2020 17:23:54 9,342 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    WTF.

No Vulkan = fucked for emulation..... no way would I touch that.
  • dominalien 4 May 2020 18:53:33 9,667 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Macs used to be great back when they moved from PPC to x86. Not any more. I really need to get a new laptop, I have no idea what to get, apart from it canít be a Mac, as sad as that makes me.
  • fontgeeksogood 4 May 2020 18:56:09 10,031 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It feels like the MacOS being forked from BSD hasn't been played out enough.

This could be 2020's MSG
  • Armoured_Bear 4 May 2020 19:05:00 28,876 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    One_Vurfed_Gwrx wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:

Work related Linux usage makes a lot of sense with security etc and custom software.
    An Operating System I prefer, quality hardware with great integration with other Apple kit (iPhone, Apple TV etc).
    As my ancient Apple kit has died I'm using my old Gaming PC at the moment for general use and I really miss my lovely MacOs running iMac
  • Armoured_Bear 4 May 2020 19:05:36 28,876 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DodgyPast wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    WTF.

No Vulkan = fucked for emulation..... no way would I touch that.
    Simples, I have zero interest in emulation.
  • Armoured_Bear 4 May 2020 19:06:25 28,876 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    Macs used to be great back when they moved from PPC to x86. Not any more. I really need to get a new laptop, I have no idea what to get, apart from it canít be a Mac, as sad as that makes me.
    Why must it not be a mac and what does that make you sad?
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 4 May 2020 20:10:28 3,963 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear I appreciate the response and I suppose it depends on what you use your PC for.

Not too sure about the quality hardware when it jsut uses the same components as nornal WinPCs but at double the price.

Integrating my PC with my phone is not something I would ever do personally bar to back up photos. The only Apple kit I own was a freebie iphone 4 I use to play the Shin Megami Tensei ios release (as it was the only officially localised version). From the odd time I have to use a Mac or an iphone I find the OS fiddly but that is just because I am not used to the (to me) counterintuitive way they work. Better than the 1 button mouse days though.

I will probably vacate this thread now though as I doubt I have much productive to offer (and why I don't even go into the Apple threads).
  • neilka 4 May 2020 20:15:38 23,415 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm shocked by the revelation that user ecosse favours the most needlessly expensive option
  • Armoured_Bear 4 May 2020 20:26:21 28,876 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    One_Vurfed_Gwrx wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear I appreciate the response and I suppose it depends on what you use your PC for.

Not too sure about the quality hardware when it jsut uses the same components as nornal WinPCs but at double the price.

Integrating my PC with my phone is not something I would ever do personally bar to back up photos. The only Apple kit I own was a freebie iphone 4 I use to play the Shin Megami Tensei ios release (as it was the only officially localised version). From the odd time I have to use a Mac or an iphone I find the OS fiddly but that is just because I am not used to the (to me) counterintuitive way they work. Better than the 1 button mouse days though.

I will probably vacate this thread now though as I doubt I have much productive to offer (and why I don't even go into the Apple threads).
    A PC is more than just the CPU and GPU, if you compare an Apple laptop with a pc that's half the price and has the same spec, you'll see that the Apple will often have a better screen, better trackpad, speakers, better build quality, cooling system etc. in a rigid chassis that is very robust and "feels" expensive.

However, there are a few manufacturers (e.g. Dell) whose recent machines have put Apple to shame in some areas and although the quality of Apple machines are great, they do take the piss on occasions with pricing, especially with upgrades to spec.

When I refer to Integration I mean that my photos (and loads of other stuff, reminders, notes, email, music, files) are always immediately available on my phone, on my PC, on my laptop etc.
    Silly small things such as if I use Apple TV and want to input text my Phone vigrates and says "use me".
    Basically, because they design all the hardware and software, it tends to work well together and be reliable.

Google of course, provide a lot of the synchronised stuff I listed above nowadays and if you want that kind of functionality you have to get in bed with either Apple or Google. in terms of who to trust with my data, it's Apple every day of the week for me. I'll take the company whose business model is making money out of selling me overpriced hardware over the one who makes money out of what they know about me.
  • AddyB- 4 May 2020 20:33:25 785 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Got more exposure to linux in my new role at work. Particularly when using aws flavour. Not much need for it in my azure projects yet. I have done levels 1&2 in redhat linux admin but i cant remember most of it. This comes in really handy at work when someone asks me a linux based question.
  • dominalien 4 May 2020 20:57:34 9,667 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    dominalien wrote:
    Why must it not be a mac and what does that make you sad?
    It must not be a Mac because they've lost me hardware-wise. Soldered on memory, soldered on ssd, a single port with dongles everywhere, no magsafe, terrible T2 chip, terrible keyboards recently, terrible bar instead of F keys.

It makes me sad because their design really appeals to my taste, I appreciate the premium feel and I fully subscribe to their stance on privacy. I generally don't mind the price, as I'm prepared to pay a premium for stuff that really appeals. Though stuff like the recent $1000 monitor stand really puts me off them big time.
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.