Third Party Joycons

• SuperCoolEskimo 4 May 2020 23:02:44 11,750 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I figured itís time to buy some new Joycons as the drift on my current ones is driving me crazy. I canít however justify spending £70 on an official pair given theyíre apparently still susceptible to drifting down the line too (well done Nintendo).

Are there any recommended third party ones? Iíd prefer ones with Bluetooth for multiplayer as I know some of the Hori ones donít have it.

I had a look for the £80 Mario Party/Joycons bundle but no luck there.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 4 May 2020 23:16:03 9,449 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You could always repair the ones you have for about 10 quid?
  • SuperCoolEskimo 5 May 2020 00:34:27 11,750 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @BigOrkWaaagh I had a look at some repair videos on YouTube but donít want to risk taking my Joycons apart and completely bricking them.

Iíve cleaned under the joystick by using a can of compressed air to blow the dust off which has done nothing to improve them.
  • ZuluHero 5 May 2020 00:59:36 8,931 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I've repaired to mixed success. Ended up actually just ordered a new set for 70 quid myself though.

Hard to find too, had to settle for the orange and purple ones.
  • Ienjoysquid 6 May 2020 14:51:23 374 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just buy some contact cleaner and squirt that in there. Be sparing as it borked a load of the buttons on my right one. I think I pushed some sludge around in there.

Edit, apart from the reset button, they did all eventually come back

Edited by Ienjoysquid at 14:51:59 06-05-2020
  • papalazarou 10 May 2020 08:56:31 135 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Hi have you considered repairing by Nintendo? I got my joycon repaired with proof of purchase, with the joycon just over two years old. Might be worth a go.
  • Cadence 10 May 2020 09:36:39 2,519 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    I've repaired to mixed success. Ended up actually just ordered a new set for 70 quid myself though.

I was looking into replacing mine myself with those DIY kits you can get off amazon. Was that the one you used? It looks a bit too fiddly for my fat fingers though.

Edited by Cadence at 09:37:15 10-05-2020
  • Ienjoysquid 11 May 2020 13:34:32 374 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My pro-controller is unusable now, apart from short periods after blowing air or contact cleaner into it. I did purchase it from Amazon just less than two years ago so might have a go at returning it for a replacement.
  • ukaskew37 13 May 2020 23:05:29 218 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    We've moved to 8BitDo controllers for the Switch, so much better. We have two N30 Pro 2s and an SN30 Pro+.

The SN30 is praised everywhere (rightly so) but I've actually used the N30s more, great for 2D platformers and vertical shooters.

Our Joycon lasted 2.5 months before picking up some significant drift to the right.
  • nudistpete 14 May 2020 00:02:24 1,218 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The pain of the 8bitdo and presumably other third party controllers is you can't turn on the console with them.

I really like the cheap wired powera controllers. No rumble, but under 20 quid and they feel good. Need a usb-c to -a adaptor to use them undocked, tho.
  • ZuluHero 14 May 2020 00:20:54 8,931 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Cadence wrote:
    ZuluHero wrote:

I was looking into replacing mine myself with those DIY kits you can get off amazon. Was that the one you used? It looks a bit too fiddly for my fat fingers though.
    Yeah, someone posted the kit in the switch thread. I managed to fix my daughter's one a few months ago, but couldn't do the same for mine when it went more recently.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 14 May 2020 02:49:09 11,750 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So I bought some WD40 contact cleaner and tried that and it did fix the problem, albeit temporarily. The drift, when it does occur, isnít as bad. Thatíll keep me going for a while.
  • Ienjoysquid 23 May 2020 18:36:03 374 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you bought your controller or Switch from Amazon it is worth contacting them. My nearly 2 years old pro controller is much worse for wear with drift, and me taking it apart to try and fix it (most of the plastic housings for internal screws have just crumbled and fallen to bits).

3 minutes on chat and they are sending a brand new replacement out.
  • HarryB 23 May 2020 18:58:44 7,626 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Look at the split pad pro on amazon, canít use it when docked but looks comfy for portable, if a bit bulky (no rumble and motion, depends if you need that)

I also have a USB adapter from 8bitdo that allows me to use a Dual Shock 4 or Xbox One controller when docked, or technically portable but itíd be horrible since the USB port is on the bottom and would also need an adapter

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.