Following It's time to recognize the people who were sorely disappointed by Mass Effect 2. Page 2

• Ror 7 May 2020 13:22:56 20,322 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The first game already had a cover system, they just decided to add more cover to 2.

Combat spaces were definitely overdesigned in 2, but 1 had some instances, especially on uncharted worlds were prebuild assets were plonked into the world, where there wasn't much (or any) cover when you really needed it.
  • AcidSnake 7 May 2020 13:24:42 8,382 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Mordin is the literal greatest.

The end.
    That about wraps it up...

Not saying ME2 was perfect (planet scanning, uninspired boss fight) but it's the best of the series IMO...
  • Load_2.0 7 May 2020 13:30:07 32,281 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    It's time to recognize the people who were sorely disappointed by Mass Effect 2.

ME Day.
  • LegendaryApe 7 May 2020 13:31:27 2,154 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mass Effect 2 has better tits
  • Mola_Ram 7 May 2020 13:34:20 24,819 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Like, I'd never say that literally everything was better in the second game.

I liked some of the combat stuff in the first game, like being able to fling dudes off cliffs and the like. I liked that you could get out on foot on some planets and explore buildings, even if they were often featureless and boring. I liked wandering around in the Citadel. I liked the ending of the first game more (giant terminator did not do it for me at all).

But the things that I actually care about most in an RPG are characters. And the second game just had better characters. Better writing for them, a great "assemble the team" structure, cool loyalty missions, and the absolutely bonkers amazing Shadow Broker DLC.

So yeah, the first game did some things better. But they're not the things that are important to me.
  • DUFFMAN5 7 May 2020 13:49:31 26,316 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    robthehermit wrote:
    No one died on my suicide mission.
    Same here mate, we must be consummate Commanders :)
  • Rodderz 7 May 2020 13:54:40 4,339 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    One funny thing about the suicide mission though: on my frst playthrough I didn't know they could die. I'm a completionist so I did all the loyalty missions and the only one who died was the navigator or whatever she was, in that goo tube. It didn't really have any impact on me, I only later learned on the internet that your squadmates can die. Guess it was too late at that point to feel excited about it.
    ^Yeah, this. I did all the loyalty stuff in my first run of ME2 as my original Shepard was a full paragon of light and goodness, so no one died apart from maybe that navigator you mention, or some other non-essential team member, which I think was unavoidable for story reasons. The final terminator boss was also shit compared to the scale and awe of Sovereign from ME1.

The dlc for ME2 was mostly quality though, as Mola mentions above, the Shadow Broker content was a particular stand out and was awesome.

Frankly, and I've mentioned this before, it's a pain in the arse that EA couldn't be fucking bothered doing their rumoured trilogy remaster with all dlc for this gen of consoles, as I would have played the shit out of all of them! They'd have likely been forward-compatible too with what we know of the next-gen consoles, so it's a missed opportunity.
  • SnackPlissken 7 May 2020 13:55:38 2,300 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I remember giving up on Mass Effect when Wrex killed Ashley out of nowhere after one line. I thought bullshit.
  • challenge_hanukkah 7 May 2020 13:57:52 13,282 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Wait, that could happen?

I need to replay. She was annoying as fuck.
  • Samildanach 7 May 2020 13:57:52 484 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I thought all three of the ME Trilogy were great. None perfect, but what game really is?

The final boss of ME2, to me, would have worked much better as a giant, half organic, half mechanical squid-like embryo; more consistent with the Reapers and more creepy than the Terminator we got. Another factor that kills the adrenaline when you met the Reaper-terminator was the music. It went from the epic suicide mission music to a dreary slow sound on its very reveal. The player is effectively being told by the music that the exciting pace of the game is over, and at the very moment of the horrific revealing of what is being made, the tempo grinds to a halt.
    But at least it had a climatic battle, instead of a chat with an annoying space child...

Edited by Samildanach at 13:58:42 07-05-2020
  • SnackPlissken 7 May 2020 14:09:55 2,300 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    Wait, that could happen?

Or maybe it was the other way round haha. She was annoying that's probably why I was pissed off that she did that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHLhvRXhlDE

Edited by SnackPlissken at 14:10:14 07-05-2020
  • Ror 7 May 2020 14:11:25 20,322 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    SnackPlissken wrote:
    I remember giving up on Mass Effect when Wrex killed Ashley out of nowhere after one line. I thought bullshit.
    That's the wrong way round, surely? Ashley can kill Wrex on Virmire, but Ashley can only die at the end of Virmire (her or Kaidan, you have to pick).

I don't remember ever seeing Wrex kill Ashley, and I played ME1 five times.

EDIT You clarified while I was typing :D

Also, RE: trilogy remaster, apparently it is coming.

Oh, and that HD remaster of an EA game is the Mass Effect Trilogy. Just don’t expect that to also launch on Switch — at least not at first.
    Edited by Ror at 14:14:23 07-05-2020
  • challenge_hanukkah 7 May 2020 14:12:45 13,282 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, I remember her killing him during the genophage bit.

I'd much rather she died. She was an arse.
  • Rodderz 7 May 2020 14:15:03 4,339 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    Oh, and that HD remaster of an EA game is the Mass Effect Trilogy. Just don’t expect that to also launch on Switch — at least not at first.
    Shit, really!? I seriously hope so!
  • Ror 7 May 2020 14:17:28 20,322 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, besides that article, there's a guy on Resetera (shinobi602) that knows quite a lot about BioWare, and he's been hinting at it for a fair while, too. He's been teasing BioWare stuff for years and is generally well-regarded.
  • Mola_Ram 7 May 2020 14:18:36 24,819 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Iirc, you need to do something with Wrex to stop him from going berserk during one of the story missions. Can't remember what it is, but he doesn't have to die (and neither does Ashley).

I could never let him die. Wrex is the best character from the first game imo.
  • davidfowles 7 May 2020 14:19:27 253 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    So what do people think about a remake of Mass Effect, but with the refined gameplay / gunplay of Mass Effect 2 or 3?
  • Samildanach 7 May 2020 14:20:24 484 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Rodderz wrote:
    Ror wrote:
    I would consider playing them again if the were able to remove the loading screen that appeared every time you changed floors in the Normandy. "Mission complete! Let's chat with my team mates... on second thought, I can't be fucked."
  • Rodderz 7 May 2020 14:20:34 4,339 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    SnackPlissken wrote:
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    Wait, that could happen?

Or maybe it was the other way round haha. She was annoying that's probably why I was pissed off that she did that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHLhvRXhlDE
    When Shepard joins in: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YuWr6jfqN5k

😂
  • Ror 7 May 2020 14:28:01 20,322 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    davidfowles wrote:
    So what do people think about a remake of Mass Effect, but with the refined gameplay / gunplay of Mass Effect 2 or 3?
    If they want to make combat a bit smoother, I won't mind.

If they add the ME2 GCD to ME1, I won't buy it.
  • Phattso 7 May 2020 14:28:20 26,179 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Surely it doesn't matter if ME1 or ME2 was the Magnum Opus of BioWare? Everything they've done since has been such utter wank that it barely seems consequential.
  • Phattso 7 May 2020 14:29:27 26,179 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Samildanach wrote:
    Rodderz wrote:
    Ror wrote:
    I would consider playing them again if the were able to remove the loading screen that appeared every time you changed floors in the Normandy. "Mission complete! Let's chat with my team mates... on second thought, I can't be fucked."
    If they can get the ME2/3 combat and UI improvements into the ME1 experience it might just tick all the boxes for me to play through again. ME1 is just too janky in its default form, despite being one of my favourite games of all time.
  • Tonka 7 May 2020 14:29:37 31,339 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I recognise them by their plush mushroom hats.
  • Mola_Ram 7 May 2020 14:37:31 24,819 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    Surely it doesn't matter if ME1 or ME2 was the Magnum Opus of BioWare? Everything they've done since has been such utter wank that it barely seems consequential.
    I thought Dragon Age: Inquisition was pretty good. Though like many games, it really suffered when Witcher 3 came out and made most other RPGs look a bit rubbish.
  • Rodderz 7 May 2020 15:04:24 4,339 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    davidfowles wrote:
    I dunno, the jankiness of ME1 is almost part of the charm. I guess it also depends on how technically involved that would be to alter for a remaster of ME1, as opposed to the time/budget for a full on remake, but I'm not a developer so don't know how possible/costly that would be. Also, as someone else mentioned a few posts back, the combat in 1 was quite specific in its design; more (ropey-ish) rpg than slick tps of the sequels, so to change that could fundamentally change the way the combat scenarios were designed to work.

Personally, for ME1 I'd just be happy for a consistently smooth, uprated framerate and cleaner visuals, though I appreciate without some overhauls to the core experience quite a few people would likely be put off playing it given that it would look and, perhaps more importantly, feel the most dated of the three, despite how good the story/characters are.
  • RGeefe 7 May 2020 16:11:14 1,439 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    robthehermit wrote:
    No one died on my suicide mission.
    I've been working here for 18 years. In 1975, no one died. In 1976, no one died. In 1977, no one died. In 1978, no one died. In 1979, no one died. In 1980, someone died.
  • DrStrangelove 7 May 2020 16:54:33 15,303 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Upgrading ME1 with ME2/3 mechanics wouldn't work because those are basically Gears clones and wouldn't work in ME1's more open/varied environments. Except if they redesign all the maps and put waist-high cover all over the place etc., hell please no.

Using ME:A's system would make much more sense (without the jumping and sliding of course) as that's much closer to ME1's mixed-environment nature.

But I'll eat my hat if EA redesigns the entire game for a remaster either way.
  • Your-Mother 7 May 2020 17:02:46 5,366 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah, it’ll be a quick port if anything. The games are already “HD” so there’ll be no asset remaster. Resolution and frame rate bump (if we’re lucky) and maybe a clumsy fudge of more modern graphic processing like better AA and fake HDR dumped on top, everything else as it was.
  • TechnoHippy 7 May 2020 17:35:41 18,009 posts
    Seen 27 seconds ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    What's this happy crappy?!

In truth the first Mass Effect will always have special place in my gaming memory, but for me the second was a much polished and structured experience.
  • Cappy 7 May 2020 19:15:39 14,252 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    We're really going to fight this out now? In 2020.

I never really liked the direction things went in after the first so here's one more person who prefers Mass Effect. I even liked the Mako exploration parts, what's the point of a space game where you can only interact with alien Worlds via menus or visit corridors littered with chest high walls?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.