Following It's time to recognize the people who were sorely disappointed by Mass Effect 2. Page 3

• Saul_Iscariot 7 May 2020 19:28:18 3,947 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I cannot understand how you saying if people died in the suicide mission there was no impact. It played a massive part in 3. I know you said you never played it, and that is why you didnít see the impact. In my play through Tali didnít make it. Because of this, and other choices I made, I could not resolve the battle between the Quarians and the Geth in ME3.

ME1 was mostly a masterpiece so following on from it, and improving on it, is a massive ask. But the changes to gameplay reflected the change of narrative pace. In 1 you are playing the part of investigating a potential threat, but even you underestimate the scale of the threat. In 2 you realise the scale but are hampered by the authorities not acting fast enough. This carries on into ME3. Dialling back the exploration elements of the game suit the story and setting.

Still, bring on the Remaster. I recently completed ME:A. It made me want to go back and play it all again. I could get it on the 360, but I need one trophy from ME 2 on the PS3 to platinum all three games. Starting from scratch seems out of place, unless it is an enhanced version.
  • Your-Mother 7 May 2020 19:50:35 5,366 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah, say what you will about ME, but the fact that choices actually have proper consequences throughout the journey (ignoring the final ending stuff of course) still remains an absolute marvel, no other game series has really done that since, even when it feels like it should be pretty straightforward (like Telltale games, where choices really only mean a slightly different line of dialogue down the road).
  • Saul_Iscariot 7 May 2020 20:00:46 3,947 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thatís on thing I never understood about people complaining about ME 3. My choices in 1 and 2 did affect the outcome of three. I had a slightly different story to several of my friends. But all they saw was the different choices at the end, and bitched about it. I know BioWare promised that that wouldnít happen, but other things did shape the story in 3.

Then again I played it with one save game from start to finish, whereas I know people went back after there play though and did the perfect play through. They then used the latter saved game for the next game to come out. They couldnít see that they had missed the chance to have their own story.

The closest game I think I have played to it, in terms of choices having an impact is Heavy Rain.
  • nickthegun 7 May 2020 20:17:43 83,632 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The only thing the first one had going for it over the second was the RPG elements. Once they got rid of that, it was just a mediocre third person shooter with an unusually good story.
  • Darth_Flibble 7 May 2020 20:18:29 4,596 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It would be nice if they fixed up some and improved things like made ME2 more RPG (less of chest high wall shooter), 3 better ending and better quests, iirc some/most? where go here and collect item for someone for galactic readiness

Despite some technical issues for 1, its amazing game. They might use a later version of the unreal engine (but it won't be a remake, another game iirc batman arkham games used a later UE engine compared to the 360/ps3 games
  • _Price_ 7 May 2020 20:32:44 3,072 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    This topic got to me just enough to log in for the first time in 6 years. Bloody reaper-tetminator-chest-high-wall-loving-can't-get-their-kicks-without-an-active-reload bastards.

Mass Effect was a fantastic RPG with well thought-out character growth and a storyline that started you off with competent-but-unremarkable space marines, progressed through a galaxy of exploration and ended with epic reveals of universe-spanning conspiracy and use of cataclysmic psychic powers.

Mass Effect 2 broke your ship, made you back into a compent-but-unremarkable merc, hiding behind walls and grinding down Shields and armour. It felt like by the end of the first you were ready to take on the Reapers only to get stuck learning how to make friends and influence people in order to reach exactly the same point again.

You people. Getting me riled-up before bed.

I mean, fair's fair, Mordin was awesome but bloody planet-scanning? Come on.

Edited by _Price_ at 20:33:49 07-05-2020
  • Technoishmatt 7 May 2020 22:04:07 4,741 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Which one had Miranda? It wins.
  • KD 7 May 2020 22:59:35 3,053 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I would have loved to play all 3 with the first game mechanics, it didnt happen like that but I rate both higher than most games.
  • FIFAfan 8 May 2020 00:17:52 268 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ME1's gameplay was a bit janky, but the story and atmosphere was by far the best of the three imo. A synth-themed, wide-eyed, galaxy-spanning space opera of the best kind.

I absolutely think ME2 is inferior (though it does have tighter gameplay, and The Illusive Man is a cool character). Its story (or rather collection of 'mini stories') was an unfortunate departure away from the foreboding Reaper menace ME1 was building up and completely lacked its predecessors sense of an epic cataclysmic event. It felt local and small.

Don't remember too much from ME3 tbh, other than it tried to focus the story back on the Reaper threat. But in doing so they reduced them to videogame 'bosses' you had to constantly beat to clear each level (/facepalm). In the context of the entire trilogy story going off the rails with 2, I did kinda like the original 'indoctrination theory' ending. Was interesting, something different. Then they had to spoil that as well, lol.
  • KD 8 May 2020 00:21:59 3,053 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I also wish Draogn Age kept the first games design.
  • FIFAfan 8 May 2020 03:28:24 268 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Speaking of ME1's 'space wonder'... Is Andromeda playable now? I hear it's closer to ME1 in spirit. Is it Worth playing?
  • Saul_Iscariot 8 May 2020 03:44:18 3,947 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @FIFAfan I played Andromeda recently. It is nowhere near as bad as is made out. But it isnít a great game. The characters just donít get you to care about them as the originals did. It had its moments, but they just make you think about how much better it could be. I got it for £10, in a bundle with Dragon Age. So, in terms of what I paid, and it took me something like 120+ hours to complete, I got value for money.

But there are glitches in the game that havenít been rectified. One locked a door, mid mission, when I died had me spawn on the wrong side of the door. This meant I couldnít complete the quest. Some Googling revealed that it had been reported numerous times and went unaddressed. I would say it is a 6/10 game, and that is bearing in mind the price I paid for it.
  • Dombat 8 May 2020 08:38:44 1,864 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I preferred the main story of the first game over the Cerberus focus of ME2. In all other departments I think ME2 is better (combat, QOL gameplay improvements, characters, side missions etc).
  • FIFAfan 8 May 2020 09:04:19 268 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Saul_Iscariot Thanks, don't think I'll bother then. I barely have the time and patience for long games these days. Don't fancy spending hours and hours on a 6/10.
  • Darth_Flibble 8 May 2020 09:30:20 4,596 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Andromeda is actually quite a poor game overall despite all the bugs and glitches. The story feels like a rehash of the reapers a bit. All the main characters are awful, lots of bad quest designs, character animations is like something from lower budget studio.
  • AcidSnake 8 May 2020 09:48:08 8,382 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I enjoyed Andromeda, though it's not polished enough by the previous standards.
    Uninspired companions, possibly two who are fun to have around.
    Alien races mostly uninteresting as well, another set of English speaking humanoids.
    But some nice ideas, and the Mako substitution is absolutely great fun...

Recently saw a YouTube docu about it's development and honestly it's a miracle it came out the other end as well as it did. I think Frostbite might have harmed more games than it helped...
  • Nanocrystal 8 May 2020 09:55:20 2,265 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    FIFAfan wrote:
    ME1's gameplay was a bit janky, but the story and atmosphere was by far the best of the three imo. A synth-themed, wide-eyed, galaxy-spanning space opera of the best kind.
    100% this. Also why I loved landing on the desolate planets in the mako. Yes they were barren and empty but it gave you this tremendous sense of isolation and feeling tiny in a huge galaxy.

Happily surprised to see after a quick googling that there IS going to be a remaster of the trilogy! They best include all the DLC.
  • Mola_Ram 8 May 2020 10:01:52 24,819 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well yeah, they're your crew.
  • Mola_Ram 8 May 2020 10:06:20 24,819 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anyway, people like what they like. Hopefully if this remaster is any good, all the crappy parts of ME1 will be smoothed out and it can be usefully compared to the currently-superior sequel.
  • AcidSnake 8 May 2020 10:06:43 8,382 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    HookJaw wrote:
    My issue with ME2 was that there was no coherence to the story. You simply tracked down a bunch of characters, played out their story and then moved on. Or at least, that's all I remember.
    They were great characters though, and great stories. The main story was about people disappearing from colonies wasn't it?
    I liked that they expanded the universe with a new type of array as well instead of ME3 with its "Did you know the Citadel is actually a triple-change transformer and has yet another purpose?!"
  • Mola_Ram 8 May 2020 10:07:27 24,819 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    HookJaw wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Well yeah, they're your crew.
    Spending an entiregame recruiting them?
    It felt like a mishmash of DLC packs stapled together.
    Massively disappointing.
    Speak for yourself! I loved all of my crew, and really liked the recruitment structure.
  • TechnoHippy 8 May 2020 10:08:48 18,010 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    When it was first released I was very disappointed with ME3 - I picked it up a few months ago and gave it another try and enjoyed playing it. It's still not as good as the first two, but there was fun to be had and it's not like there's a glut of sci-fi RPGs to get into.
  • Darth_Flibble 8 May 2020 10:33:05 4,596 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Jack was a terrible character, she came across as like she was designed by marketing execs to be "edgy" and likes to listen to crawling by linkin park on repeat
  • Mola_Ram 8 May 2020 10:38:23 24,819 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    How dare you. Jack was my waifu

(until I dropped her for Tali)
  • AcidSnake 8 May 2020 10:42:26 8,382 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, leave Jack alone!
    Just leave her alone!

I'm pretty sure we can all agree the default male companion you're shipped out with is always the most boring.
    Kaiden, Jacob, Vega, Liam...Blandness personified...
  • Mola_Ram 8 May 2020 10:45:57 24,819 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm fairly certain that I was gay for Garrus.
  • Darth_Flibble 8 May 2020 10:54:32 4,596 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Had to google who Vega was as he was so forgettable, its like some arsehat at EA wanted military shooter guy #25215151515 for the people that played ME3 without any of the minor RPG elements it had

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.