Following Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition Page 7

• Switch024 8 Jun 2020 10:54:05 3,746 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm 6 hours into my playthough and don't really have the urge to go back to it. Not really a judgement on the game, I do intend to carry on but the opening felt like standard JRPG fare.
  • PazJohnMitch 8 Jun 2020 12:54:44 15,801 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Derblington

It is a very good example of a JRPG and does exploration, combat and story well. (Rare for a JRPG to tick all those boxes). It is definitely one of the contenders for the JRPG to play if you intend to only ever play 1 JRPG.

It is however a huge undertaking, (even by JRPG standards) and if you automatically bounce off ! clutter you will have a very bad time. (Especially as on the last page we discussed more !s being a QoL improvement in the remaster).

For me it is a great chill out game where you explore and are continually ticking off tasks from an (exceptionally long) to do list. I personally find this really therapeutic and XC is a perfect fit for me.

It should however be possible to just play through the story and skip the side quests. XC is a very good example of a JRPG story (in both connotations of that sentence).

Again I enjoy the story but PlayStation Access did a video on the 7 story cliches in every JRPG a month or so back in the run up to FFVIIR and XC probably ticks all 7 boxes.
  • THFourteen 8 Jun 2020 14:02:58 53,685 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Started this yesterday.... I haven't replayed old games for a long time, as I just don't have the time for it, so replaying this one is interesting given I finished it on the 3DS only a few years ago.

But i'm definitely feeling the chillout vibe from it, i'm not in as much of a hurry to complete the main story as I normally am, as I know what happens, and the QOL improvements to side-quests are fantastic.

The music remains as good as it ever was. And coming from the 3DS, being able to see what a bunnit actually looks like is pretty amazing.

It's like seeing an old friend after many years. Love this game.
  • JoelStinty 8 Jun 2020 14:31:28 8,879 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Aye I started it yesterday too. Just got to the bit where you fight the two robots atop where you get the cylinders. First time playing it. Been wanting to play it for 10 years or so now.

To early to form impressions but the music is already outstanding and I like the vertically of the world. The VA and characters feel charming too.

Battles have kicked my arse a few times. Will take a while to learn it. The action is not as easy to read and execute as XC2 is, but it still very early days for me and Iím sure Iíll Pick it up.

Edited by JoelStinty at 14:32:26 08-06-2020
  • PierrePressure 8 Jun 2020 14:51:22 1,077 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    When exploring the world, should I be looking out for caves, dungeons, etc? Or does the game not really have those?
  • ghearoid 8 Jun 2020 15:07:41 3,574 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @PierrePressure

Lots of hidden tunnels, caves and secret pathways. Keep your eyes peeled!

Many sidequests send you off in their direction though so you'll end up finding them eventually.
  • DakeyrasUK 8 Jun 2020 15:09:24 4,180 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @PierrePressure There isn't dungeons, but there are pathways to locations with a view so to speak. Areas which are (almost) walled off by high level creatures. I have always enjoyed trying to explore an area as much as I can as soon as I get to it. Feels good sneak past level 80 spiders to see what is a round the corner!
  • PazJohnMitch 8 Jun 2020 15:14:40 15,801 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Not in the Elder Scrolls or traditional Zelda sense of dungeons.

Whilst exploring you will find red orbs around which will be unique item objectives of later quests. And it is also nice to see how the map all connects up.

You will not trigger a quest by fulfilling its objective like you can in some modern games. Quests are all initiated by talking to people but you will occasionally get a glimpse of the future when you find an item tied with a quest you do not yet have.
  • PazJohnMitch 8 Jun 2020 15:27:53 15,801 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Can definitely see why I gave up on Valak Mountain originally. Not only is it relatively uninteresting visually it is really confusing to navigate which is not helped by what appears to be errors on the map. (Top path is not on the map and non-existent connections shown). Also cannot find a 2nd Snow Lettuce (or whatever it is that Juju wants for Colony 6 rebuilding..
  • PierrePressure 8 Jun 2020 15:43:17 1,077 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I must say, I love the fact that you can come across larger level enemies when roaming. Much prefer this than the usual method of higher leveled enemies as you progress.
  • PazJohnMitch 8 Jun 2020 15:59:52 15,801 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah. Having every monster have a fixed level and letting the player decide where they go and how to avoid the bigger monsters is much more interesting to me than the world levelling with the character.
  • Rhaegyr 8 Jun 2020 16:20:07 5,122 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's a great idea.

I remember seeing Territorial Rothbart for the first time when stepping out onto the Leg and thinking "see you in about 50 hours, asshole!".
  • Duffking 8 Jun 2020 18:33:21 16,599 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @PazJohnMitch you can get those in the time attack mode iirc if you win a couple of times you'll easily have enough
  • timur 10 Jun 2020 08:48:07 39 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Is there a trick to enjoying the combat? I'm playing on standard difficulty and it's very repetitive indeed. Backstab to start then circle until I get a chance icon pop up, repeat ad nauseam. Otherwise it's a fun game, even if so far (I'm just coming up to Colony 6) the story is pretty generic and the voice acting is so bad it's almost good.

So yeah, mostly enjoying it so far - let's not lose our heads tho!
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 Jun 2020 08:49:31 8,695 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @timur Sounds disturbingly like Xenoblade Chronicles X, where combat was tedious as hell until around 80 hours in, at which point I was able to lock the abilities, gear and builds that made it much better.
  • Derblington 10 Jun 2020 09:22:56 33,149 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @PazJohnMitch Cheers for the write-up!

I don't think the cliches would bother me that much, and I play so few JRPGS (less than 5, lifetime) that I may not even realise some of them.

Having a long quest list is fine, I'm happy to just whittle away at it if the gameplay is decent. The world really is the big draw for me, and obviously all of the praise it's received over the years.

I think I'll take a proper look at picking it up after the big summer PS games are done with.
  • Duffking 10 Jun 2020 11:00:27 16,599 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @timur Shulk doesn't get much more interesting to use tbh, he doesn't unlock many arts. The other characters are a bit more varied.
  • JoelStinty 10 Jun 2020 12:01:05 8,879 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Played 6 or so hours and Iím enjoying it. If breezy could describe a game this would be it.

Still trying to learn the intricacies of the battle system (my god does it dump something new on you every 10
    Minutes) but Iím starting to get a feel for it.

It as also made me think about XC2 again and I realise over time how good that game was.
  • PazJohnMitch 10 Jun 2020 12:12:16 15,801 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I change the leader periodically to mix it up and also to try and raise the party Affinity evenly. (Affinity gain between leader and party member seems to be much quicker than between the 2 members).

Due to the Monado Arts I think (as Duff said) Shulk ends up with a much smaller pool of base Arts to chose from than the other characters.

The Monado also means Shulk should be in the party when fighting Mechon (which for me now means he is no longer in the party when Mechon are not around).
  • PazJohnMitch 10 Jun 2020 12:22:52 15,801 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think it is possible to set up each characterís Arts so they are either good leaders or good party members.

I seem to have Shulk set up as a good leader and awful party member. Reyn as the exact opposite and the other 4 are ok as either leader or party member (but do not excel as either).

I should probably tinker with it more but have not felt the need to. Expert mode has meant I am always at least 5 levels lower than I could be.
  • Graxlar_v3 10 Jun 2020 14:37:43 10,041 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    22 hour mark and my interest is wavering, I am really interested in the story but rather than finding out what is going on I find myself just doing silly little side quests and more side quests and more side quests and then I move on a little bit in order to get more side quests.
  • Duffking 10 Jun 2020 14:43:47 16,599 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3 Just don't do 'em, other than the ones that happen to be around when you're following the plot/exploring the maps. The advice on the original version was always that; and expert mode exists precisely because they probably never intended you do all of them either as you'd be massively overlevelled.
  • PierrePressure 10 Jun 2020 15:18:55 1,077 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've found I've had to do quite a few quests to grind levels as I'm getting my arse kicked whenever I battle one of the bosses.
  • PazJohnMitch 10 Jun 2020 16:07:00 15,801 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I am very much at the other end of the spectrum. I have completed every quest I have found and have 3 of the towns at 5* affinity.
  • jack5255 11 Jun 2020 17:53:11 875 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    15 hours in. Got number 4 of the party and NOW it feels like its starting properly. Was wavering slightly but now can see that its going to open up at least a little bit more with party options etc. Looking forward to getting back to it
  • PazJohnMitch 14 Jun 2020 14:50:49 15,801 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I am just shy of level 70 and the game is starting to look like I am approaching the end but I do not believe it.

My current big bad is Egil who I am probably 5 hours off fighting again. Expecting a rematch with one of his sub bosses first though.

Colony 6 has now got to the please fight the level 70+ creatures you avoided earlier stage which suggests there are not any areas left after my current one. Although there are places in earlier locations I still cannot reach.

Kind of expecting the games final, final boss to be Zanza riding a telephia.
  • Mola_Ram 14 Jun 2020 14:57:57 23,706 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If the first spoilered person is who I think it is (I'm bad with names in this game), you're still a little ways off the end.
  • PazJohnMitch 14 Jun 2020 14:59:39 15,801 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    They are the Big Gold Mechon.
  • Mola_Ram 14 Jun 2020 15:04:14 23,706 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, thought so. I remember that part of the game well for a very specific reason, but I'll let you experience that on your own. :)
  • ghearoid 14 Jun 2020 17:21:06 3,574 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I'm mopping up a few sidequests and other stuff before I finish off the big baddie. Just have Sharla's last skill tree to unlock, Colony 9's nature and housing final upgrade and that's pretty much it. Oh, and the final heart-to- hearts. Have to have Reyn as leader for a bit to max out some affinity.

Such an awesome, fun game.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.