Following Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition Page 9

Next Last
  • DakeyrasUK 21 Jun 2020 15:23:53 4,180 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @PazJohnMitch how many hours have you clocked, seeing as you have done all the affinity gains and upgrading.
  • PazJohnMitch 21 Jun 2020 15:51:23 15,801 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    About 105 - 110 hours.

I did not do every single quest though (I missed 2 around chapter 14 and have 10-15 which are level 90+).

I also have 5 character connections which are cloud and not heart. (And one heart to heart that is currently inaccessible).

Also have not unlocked all skill trees.

The game lets you continue from just before the final battle. So I will probably see if I can clear the remaining quests. (Not going to bother with NG+ though which is an option). Think that keeps side quest progress and character level. So would be really quick to go back through.
  • PazJohnMitch 21 Jun 2020 16:04:59 15,801 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Also not done the Definitive Editions’ extra story.
  • DakeyrasUK 21 Jun 2020 16:26:17 4,180 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So I'm about half way then...

Quite the big game this!

At the moment im preferring xenoblade Chronicles 2, but that game got better and better the further through the story it got. This seems to be similar, but am only now exploring Valak mountain on chapter 10 I think. So plenty of time left for it to get better and better!
  • PazJohnMitch 21 Jun 2020 17:04:49 15,801 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Valak Mountain is probably the worst location in the game. And where I gave up on the Wii.

There is only one really great area left to explore after Valak though. (And about 5 decent ones). The majority of the iconic locations are at the beginning. The story has a number of interesting turns to take yet though.

There are 17chapters in total.
  • THFourteen 21 Jun 2020 17:51:07 53,685 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    HEROPON unlocked!!
  • PazJohnMitch 22 Jun 2020 23:12:01 15,801 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @DakeyrasUK

Cleared all of the remaining quests, got all heart to hearts and unlocked all skill trees in a few minutes shy of 120 hours.
  • DakeyrasUK 22 Jun 2020 23:16:27 4,180 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @PazJohnMitch good effort.

I'm now at 58nhrs and have finally tonight completed that old old quests about female friendship!

Still traversing Valak mountain, it's a little bland, but it has some great hidden routes to seek out.

Spent the latter part of this evening clearing all my side quests and getting the town upgraded to lv 3 on all aspects. Now have more side quests there...

And not a single item towards any level 4s!
  • PazJohnMitch 22 Jun 2020 23:32:30 15,801 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That is the longest stage to any quest in the entire game.

A few of the town upgrade items are located in really narrow areas.

Also some of the level 5 items are early game items. Do not gift Hill firefly from the Bionis Leg as you will need 4 or 5 of them later.

Edited by PazJohnMitch at 23:34:07 22-06-2020
  • Rhaegyr 23 Jun 2020 10:39:47 5,122 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    Valak Mountain is probably the worst location in the game. And where I gave up on the Wii.

There is only one really great area left to explore after Valak though. (And about 5 decent ones). The majority of the iconic locations are at the beginning. The story has a number of interesting turns to take yet though.

There are 17chapters in total.
    Strange - this area was my favourite on my initial playthrough (probably because of the music).
  • ghearoid 23 Jun 2020 10:50:13 3,574 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I like Valak mountain. Lots of hidden areas to find, sneaky paths, high level beasts to creep past. Oh, and the night time music is bliss. I used to skip to night to always listen to that as I explored.
  • PazJohnMitch 23 Jun 2020 10:55:25 15,801 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Never liked Valak. Found it bland and confusing to navigate. (I have since learnt my way around though).
  • The12thMonkey 23 Jun 2020 11:42:59 563 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I was sold on Valak because of the music. It's just perfect. I also got really invested on my original playthrough in the jump to Three Sage Summit to go find those useless explorers from Alcamoth.

However, I'm back up to where I bailed on my first playthrough - Mechonis Field. After the wonderful zone before it, this just felt like a slog at the time. I'm better prepared this time, though, so I'm hoping I'll get to the end this time around.
  • GloatingSwine 23 Jun 2020 12:52:52 3,883 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've just finished Mechonis Field. Had to stop off to make sure I fought all the unique monsters there for affinity coins and the giant level 70 robit caused me some problems. Will soon go through the rest of the areas to find and thump all the ones I currently can.

Want to max out the party and skill links to do the optional superbosses this time because I never did on the Wii version.
  • DakeyrasUK 23 Jun 2020 15:18:47 4,180 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @The12thMonkey ha just done that jump myself.

Think I'll be leaving final Marcus and co to another day given that I am only level 52!
  • PazJohnMitch 23 Jun 2020 16:04:09 15,801 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I did kill Final Marcus. He is the only one of the 5 supers that I did kill. (Was considerably easier than a few of the other level 97 to 99 unique monsters).
  • The12thMonkey 30 Jun 2020 20:06:15 563 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    So, after my only previous attempts to complete XC (both on Wii and Dolphon) faded the closer I got to Mechonis, I'm pleased to say this Switch playthrough appears to be going the distance. Good grief.Shit gets really real in like Chapter 16, eh?
  • GloatingSwine 1 Jul 2020 22:19:49 3,883 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm gradually closing in on completion. Done all the sidequests, fully built colony 6 & got everyone to move in, got endgame weapons and armour for everyone, and have most of my slots filled with max powered level 6 gems. (Never used the gem crafting at all last time).

Still a few affinities to max and skills to learn, will probably turn on expert mode so I can down-level to match the various monsters that drop the arts manuals I'm going to need to get to rank 10 arts, that'll get that done a bit faster.
  • DakeyrasUK 1 Jul 2020 23:21:45 4,180 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Wow, smashing it!

I'm now just finishing off some side quests (before mechonis core ) getting colony 6 affinity up. Have 2 places at full affinity and am at level 72 after 89 hrs.
  • GloatingSwine 2 Jul 2020 12:25:37 3,883 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Got all the gems I want now.

Farming skill books time.
  • PazJohnMitch 2 Jul 2020 13:26:24 15,801 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I was not committed enough to do that.
  • ghearoid 2 Jul 2020 13:36:24 3,574 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I didn't get all the skill books. Annoyingly, I kept getting ones for the arts I never used, but I still beat the final boss with only intermediate skills. Oh well, something to do in NG+!
  • PazJohnMitch 2 Jul 2020 14:32:13 15,801 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I was completely over levelled for the final boss (and pretty much all of them). Made it laughably easy.
  • GloatingSwine 2 Jul 2020 14:47:41 3,883 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Getting skill books is much easier than it would initially appear because of how you can savescum chests.

Unique Monsters always drop a gold chest, so you find out which one drops the skill you want and kill it, save in front of the chest and open it. If it's not what you wanted reload and try again, chests roll their contents when you open them.

Also monsters respawn on reload so you can use that to respawn UMs to get more chests. (Though after the first time they generally only have a 30% chance to respawn).
  • DakeyrasUK 2 Jul 2020 19:53:18 4,180 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @GloatingSwine are you saying that when you reload you could instead of open the chest kill the boss again to save with two chests and then repeat?

How many chests can be kept at one time?
  • GloatingSwine 2 Jul 2020 20:04:03 3,883 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, if the boss respawns you can kill him then there'll be two chests.

Up to 20 chests can exist at a time (everywhere in the game world), then the oldest one gets replaced.
  • DakeyrasUK 3 Jul 2020 20:48:51 4,180 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So am now 95 hrs in, chapter 17. Have just got a few more quests but they are beating monsters of level 85-95 and I'm only 73...

On one hand I do want to get all places to max affinity (colony 9, 6 and upper bionis are all 4. The others are max.) And see many more of the affinity chats.

But I also want to move on and play other games... really dont fancy grinding at this point in the story either...

But I know once I move on I am unlikely to come back to it...
  • GloatingSwine 3 Jul 2020 22:37:16 3,883 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If you want to max out affinities go around and talk to everyone in all the towns again.

After you complete quests, sometimes that will unlock a new dialogue which changes the affinity chart and that gives you points.

Often that will also unlock new quests.
  • GloatingSwine 3 Jul 2020 22:38:11 3,883 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I only have 4 arts manuals left to get now. Then I will try my hand at some of the superbosses.
  • GloatingSwine 4 Jul 2020 16:23:02 3,883 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    And done. All affinities maxed, all heart-to-hearts watched, all superbosses downed.

Just the last boss to register my displeasure with now, and with how powerful I am I do not think he will enjoy the experience.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.