Following Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition Page 2

• Humperfunk 12 May 2020 23:00:27 8,155 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    I've bought this 3 times and still not managed to finish it. I always lose interest around 26 hours in.

I don't know why I'm eyeing it up again...
    Haha same, and I'm pretty sure it's around that point that I give up. I remember on 3DS specifically it was a massive difficulty spike boss, and the grind to level up was so slow I was looking at 10 hours of it just to maybe make a dent on him.

And yet, I'm eyeing up buying it yet again...must resist!
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 13 May 2020 00:09:11 3,916 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    gamecat wrote:
    Amazon pre orders are terrible, they just cancel the day before, or the day of release. No notification, just order cancelled. Will never use them again for game stuff.
    Thus my concern ;)

To be fair to Game every preorder I have made with them I have received including awkward games like Project Zero on WiiU. I do resent the extra postage when normally they have a free delivery option and no other company are charging extra during COVID 19.
  • Switch024 13 May 2020 10:39:53 3,746 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I pre-ordered the digital with shopto and it's already downloaded ready to go. Will be a long two weeks with the icon staring at me everytime I use the Switch. :)
  • ghearoid 13 May 2020 10:51:47 3,574 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Ugh, I'm debating between physical or digital. I put 200 hours into this on Wii so I suppose digital makes sense, especially with the new challenge mode.
  • Magnavox_Odyssey 13 May 2020 13:38:41 1 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Digital preorder and ready to go at launch. Given Future Connected Def Edition is definitely crying out to me for team Melia and 100% completion of the main game.
  • daft_punk_909 13 May 2020 14:11:37 113 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm desperate fora new JRPG for my Switch after finishing Dragon Quest 11. Not sure about this, I tried Torna and found the battle system complicated. I loved the visuals and the style though. Do you think Torna is a good indication of how the battle system will be in this?
  • Mola_Ram 13 May 2020 14:17:05 23,707 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The battle system is definitely less complicated than it was in the sequel. It's got a bit of an MMORPG feel to it.
  • Ror 13 May 2020 14:37:38 20,096 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Looks like a ton of previews just dropped.
  • ZuluHero 13 May 2020 21:32:47 8,761 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Dammit, I just read the opening few paragraphs on the one on EG and I just know I'm going to get it. Again.

Still, portable mode should help me see it though this time.
  • Armoured_Bear 13 May 2020 23:08:13 28,823 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    "Technically this feels like a big step up from Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and while it's not blemish-free it certainly doesn't have the same fuzzy aesthetic that the 2017 game had - the draw distance is more generous, the textures more defined"

Oh dear, I'll end up buying this again
  • DakeyrasUK 13 May 2020 23:20:17 4,180 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah that eurogamer preview has really ramped up my anticipation.

All aboard the hype train!
  • Armoured_Bear 13 May 2020 23:23:01 28,823 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    All I need to do is finish Persona 5 Royal, then play through Sekora, Yakuza 3,4,5 and 6 then finish Luigi's Mansion 3 and Fire Emblem. Oh and actually start Astral Chain then I can get this with no backlog issues.
    Hmm
  • DakeyrasUK 13 May 2020 23:44:53 4,180 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear haha good luck with that.

My backlog of games to play has not gotten longer since xmas!

It hasn't gotten any shorter either...

Death stranding, yakuza 0, shenmue 3, ni no Kuni 2, divinity original sin 2, dishonoured and dishonoured 2 and Niger automata.
  • Armoured_Bear 14 May 2020 00:05:48 28,823 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @DakeyrasUK
    Bugger, I have dishonoured 2 as well, and Tetris Effect
  • Youthist 14 May 2020 00:30:20 14,232 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    The battle system is definitely less complicated than it was in the sequel. It's got a bit of an MMORPG feel to it.
    Iiirc it was intended to be one but they switched during design to a 1UP ii think.

It is a mind blowing game. I didnít like either of the two sequels as much.
  • Dazimus 14 May 2020 08:37:35 1,263 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Iím sure I could play DQ11 and Xenoblade side by side, right? Two absolutely massive games that take long enough to finish one but ... I could juggle between them....
  • Mola_Ram 14 May 2020 08:45:10 23,707 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tbf, DQ11 and this are pretty different, and I could easily imagine switching from one to the other depending on mood. Dragon Quest is probably the most traditional JRPG series around - it's like gaming comfort food - whereas the Xenoblades are all over the place.
  • DUFFMAN5 14 May 2020 08:51:25 25,868 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Definitely interested in this IF Amazon ever get the switch back in stock. I want the docked version at a reasonable price!
  • ChiefGB 14 May 2020 10:12:09 12,492 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I too have played this twice before, once on wii pirate copy as was impossible to get, I purchased it as soon as it was available in wiiu and in both cases I also only got around 20 hours in, I think thereís probably a point where it sags and starts piling distracting side quests in where weíve all switched off a bit?

That said I would be day one on this but Iíve started a new expensive hobby over the last few weeks so itís not as easy to just drop in this day one, but I will get it. As I mentioned previously it just looks as good as it deserves to look now and the fuzziness was also a small issue for me before.

Combat Gameplay wise itís not as convoluted as xc2, which is good really as that is a decent game but the combat is more layered (and poorly explained) in that one.

I just absolutely love the characters and voice acting in this, cannot underestimate how refreshing it is to hear British voice acting, even if itís not rada standard it does lend a real charm. Although thereís some seriously irritating repeated battle phrases.

Aaaarrrggghh I think I NEED this.
  • PazJohnMitch 14 May 2020 10:13:51 15,801 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I was 100 hours in on Wii. Still have it. Might try reconnecting the Wii.
  • Spectral 14 May 2020 10:20:31 6,382 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Played the Wii version a month or two back on the Dolphin emulator, upscaled and with fan made HD texture packs and a mod to change button prompts to an Xbox One pad. Not the same as this remaster but it was damn impressive.

Edited by Spectral at 10:20:52 14-05-2020
  • ZuluHero 14 May 2020 10:38:55 8,761 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    I also only got around 20 hours in, I think thereís probably a point where it sags and starts piling distracting side quests in where weíve all switched off a bit?
    Definitely. Probably a little bit of something else shiny coming along as well... :)
  • ChiefGB 14 May 2020 11:58:50 12,492 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yes always been a bit jealous that a format it wasnít native to (dolphin) was the closet to doing it justice.

That soundtrack as well is just the kind that you hear again and just brings a smile. To recap, the script can be cheesy as hell and delivered just as daft, the side missions were a bit overdone and seeing as they are time based in some areas tended to pull me away with distractions.
    But scale of the environments was ahead of its time especially on the wii.
  • Armoured_Bear 14 May 2020 12:14:04 28,823 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    Yes always been a bit jealous that a format it wasnít native to (dolphin) was the closet to doing it justice.

That soundtrack as well is just the kind that you hear again and just brings a smile. To recap, the script can be cheesy as hell and delivered just as daft, the side missions were a bit overdone and seeing as they are time based in some areas tended to pull me away with distractions.
    But scale of the environments was ahead of its time especially on the wii.
    I still haven't seen any of the big boy consoles have such enormous, beautiful areas going so long without loading.
  • gamecat 14 May 2020 14:35:12 977 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Got a digital copy after reading previews, 13.7gb required.
  • ChiefGB 14 May 2020 23:02:08 12,492 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah as much as I love a box, Iím tired of ďcartingĒ what feels like a small bag of carts with the machine.
  • Switch024 20 May 2020 15:32:49 3,746 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Apparently the new epilogue content is 10 to 12 hours of game.

https://www.videogamer.com/news/xenoblade-chronicles-definitive-editions-future-connected-epilogue-is-10-to-12-hours-long
  • PierrePressure 20 May 2020 16:31:32 1,077 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I still cling to physical media as I like to have the option of reselling in the future.

Nintendo games hold their price well as everyone knows.

You never know what will happen with the download in the future too.
  • ghearoid 20 May 2020 16:57:43 3,574 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I've pre-ordered a physical copy. I'm mostly digital but I wanted a copy to go along with my Xenoblade 2 + Torna games already on the shelf.

A combo of Xenoblade and Animal Crossing over the summer will be bliss.
  • THFourteen 20 May 2020 17:27:20 53,685 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    ghearoid wrote:
    I've pre-ordered a physical copy. I'm mostly digital but I wanted a copy to go along with my Xenoblade 2 + Torna games already on the shelf.

A combo of Xenoblade and Animal Crossing over the summer will be bliss.
    Snap!

And it will all sit next to the Shulk amibo my secret Santa bought me two years ago.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.