To view this content, please enable targeting cookies Page 2

Next Last
  • Tomo 14 May 2020 17:53:28 17,805 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I'm not sure tbh, but I'm at a 2.

I just don't like the idea of being followed on the internet purely for the purposes of profit. It's essentially monetising my personal data without informing me how/why/what etc. I realise loads of companies do this already, and I've probably fallen foul of it numerous times already, but that doesn't make it a free commodity. Give 'em an inch and all that.

Plus, the internet was wholly preferable before all this Cookie notification bullshit. The cookies were probably being harvested for data mining before all of this stuff, but now there is an extra veneer of bullshit to wade through before you get what you want.

It's all just a bit crappy. Bring back Geocities plz.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 14 May 2020 17:55:36 25,562 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Whoa 2? Whats that out of?
  • Your-Mother 14 May 2020 18:01:36 4,471 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    This all makes me SO ANGRY
  • Tomo 14 May 2020 18:03:08 17,805 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    2 out of 5 George Foreman grills
  • Graxlar_v3 14 May 2020 18:20:53 10,212 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    2 out of 5 George Foreman grills
    Great, now I am going to be getting George Foreman ads for the next 3 months.
  • Tomo 14 May 2020 18:26:48 17,805 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Shadow Gangs is the best game ever!
    Shadow Gangs buy!
    Shadow Gangs favourite like!
  • Tomo 14 May 2020 18:27:05 17,805 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I hope that helps with more appropriately targeted ads.
  • neilka 14 May 2020 18:27:28 23,404 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Would anyone like their cookies tossed?
  • Tomo 14 May 2020 18:29:14 17,805 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @neilka

do you toss salad as well?
  • orpheus 15 May 2020 09:44:17 1,867 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    gamingdave wrote:
    uBlock and PB are the way forward.

EGs policy isn't GDPR compliant, the ability to decline cookies isn't given the same prominence as accept and is on a second screen. It's also not clearly labelled as decline, but as "save settings" which forces the user to check none have defaulted to on.

But good luck finding a major site, especially a news orientated one out there who is!

So many still don't let you properly opt out, or make it harder to opt out than in, which is not allowed.

Doesn't help when most are using off the shelf solutions, and those providers themselves are making non-compliant plugins. They should, but if they did, site operators would choose one of the alternatives because they would really rather not have people decline.

TheDailyMash is probably the closest to being clear :D
    Quite. It's a shitshow across the whole internet. Sadly enforcement is often underfunded and can take a long time. However, hopefully by drawing attention to these shitty practices, we can help put a stop to them.

Little primer for those unsure why tracking cookies are such a big deal: https://privacy.net/stop-cookies-tracking/
  • Deleted user 24 May 2020 09:39:24
    I don't mind seeing ads, but I do mind companies that I don't even know the name of building up extensive profiles of my online behavior, to be sold to the highest bidder.

It becomes worse when you know that they do this for everyone and that this data might be abused for political targeting, denying people insurance, or other actions that go way beyond "hey look at this useless shit you might want to buy".
  • beastmaster 24 May 2020 09:57:28 20,909 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Deleted user wrote:
    I don't mind seeing ads, but I do mind companies that I don't even know the name of building up extensive profiles of my online behavior, to be sold to the highest bidder.

It becomes worse when you know that they do this for everyone and that this data might be abused for political targeting, denying people insurance, or other actions that go way beyond "hey look at this useless shit you might want to buy".
    I worked for one of these companies but it was for behaviour tracking and targeting. Thereís also the advertising stuff that you get now which we were involved in in its infancy. We had massive household names as clients and they are VERY protective of their data.

Insurance companies can use this tech to check for online fraud when you are looking for a quote. Donít like the quote you got so fancy changing something to see if you can get a lower quote? They know. If youíre not careful youíll get blacklisted.

Absolutely fascinating place to work. Behaviourals are extremely accurate and email campaigns based on the data collected are extremely effective.
  • ZuluHero 24 May 2020 10:01:10 8,925 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Talking about behaviour, did someone just quit?
  • challenge_hanukkah 24 May 2020 10:05:20 12,836 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Guybrush again?
  • Tomo 24 May 2020 10:06:50 17,805 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Deleted user wrote:

I worked for one of these companies but it was for behaviour tracking and targeting. Thereís also the advertising stuff that you get now which we were involved in in its infancy. We had massive household names as clients and they are VERY protective of their data.

Insurance companies can use this tech to check for online fraud when you are looking for a quote. Donít like the quote you got so fancy changing something to see if you can get a lower quote? They know. If youíre not careful youíll get blacklisted.

Absolutely fascinating place to work. Behaviourals are extremely accurate and email campaigns based on the data collected are extremely effective.
    Ugh this is so depressing.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 24 May 2020 10:09:36 13,958 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Deleted user wrote:

Academically I find it fascinating but socially/personally it creeps me out a bit
  • ZuluHero 24 May 2020 10:30:45 8,925 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It's OK to change some options though as long as your not changing something fundamental about the thing you want to insure?

Take a car for example, you might not want to have legal protection, or a guaranteed replacement car, or breakdown cover, or pay more/less excess, there are loads of tweaks to make a quote more acceptable without performing fraud.

Edited by ZuluHero at 10:31:26 24-05-2020
  • orpheus 27 May 2020 09:47:47 1,867 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    beastmaster wrote:
    Deleted user wrote:

The deleted user is spot on. The more info they hold, the more nefarious purposes are possible.

What's telling about Beastmaster's post is that these companies do indeed think of it as 'their data' - your choices, your behaviour, your views and interests and friend connections and location and everything else they gather is 'their data' and they will do with it as they please.

It's not their data. It's your data. This is why the GDPR exists - to reset that balance back in our favour. It's also why it's so utterly shitty to see sites like Eurogamer (or rather, their parent company) deny functionality unless you submit, like good little slaves.

Edited by orpheus at 09:48:33 27-05-2020
  • mothercruncher 29 May 2020 21:10:36 17,828 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yep. The stick, rather than carrot, approach is wrong-headed. It just makes a section of the site I barely used even less useful.
  • Kyuuu23 14 Jun 2020 18:03:26 1 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    I was wonder why I could not get videos to work I had to white list onetrust.com in ublock origin to get cookie that is part of eurogamers cookies just to get the pop up accept all this to get the videos to work, seeing I delete cookies every time I close firefox,

I just White listed cookies *eurogamer.net got the cookie for that need onetrust.com to be white listed in ublock origin (which just part of the eurogamer.net cookie) and revert the ublock changes.

I was wonder for why for month of show video would not work.

Edited by Kyuuu23 at 18:05:32 14-06-2020
  • Fake_Blood 14 Jun 2020 19:25:09 10,442 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    See thatís too much hassle, Iím not going to bother with the content if I have to jump through hoops. Last time I wanted to search for a review I couldnít because of a similar problem, so I just went to another site.
  • Mr_Sleep 14 Jun 2020 21:36:53 23,445 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    orpheus wrote:
    Tomo wrote:
    beastmaster wrote:
    Deleted user wrote:

The deleted user is spot on. The more info they hold, the more nefarious purposes are possible.

What's telling about Beastmaster's post is that these companies do indeed think of it as 'their data' - your choices, your behaviour, your views and interests and friend connections and location and everything else they gather is 'their data' and they will do with it as they please.

It's not their data. It's your data. This is why the GDPR exists - to reset that balance back in our favour. It's also why it's so utterly shitty to see sites like Eurogamer (or rather, their parent company) deny functionality unless you submit, like good little slaves.
    Jared Lenier has some interesting ideas related to this. He thinks that all our data should belong to us which would allow us to trade our information to make money from advertising. Or at least I think that was the gist of what he was saying. He has been on a few podcasts recently, I can't quite remember which one it was. Anyway, worth looking into.
  • askew 14 Jun 2020 22:27:41 21,552 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Uh oh. I like to play with the calculator and see how much it'd cost me to run something outlandish, or if I was CEO, or if I had the title of Major.
  • sherpa1984 18 Jun 2020 19:49:26 847 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    EG my dudes- you are my favourite site; you gave me a Hearthstone beta key many years ago.

You are welcome to feed me generic adverts: I have disabled my ad blocker on your site. But now you won't show me media unless I allow you to act as a tunnel for ad companies to harvest my data?

No dice.
  • dominalien 19 Jun 2020 06:24:58 9,652 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Iím glad there are some people who pay attention to this. The people I know irl will click accept on anything just to get to the next piece of media.
  • mothercruncher 19 Jun 2020 07:36:05 17,828 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    See thatís too much hassle, Iím not going to bother with the content if I have to jump through hoops. Last time I wanted to search for a review I couldnít because of a similar problem, so I just went to another site.
    Yep, this.
  • ElectricPenguin 4 Jul 2020 14:16:52 1 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    sherpa1984 wrote:
    EG my dudes- you are my favourite site; you gave me a Hearthstone beta key many years ago.

You are welcome to feed me generic adverts: I have disabled my ad blocker on your site. But now you won't show me media unless I allow you to act as a tunnel for ad companies to harvest my data?

No dice.
    This. Apart from the Hearthstone beta key. I didn't get that.

Using the site is becoming frustrating and maybe I just won't anymore. Thanks Orpheus for starting this topic. It had been bothering me for some time as well, but the lack of search options in the forum stopped me from posting.

Edited by ElectricPenguin at 14:20:34 04-07-2020
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.