Paper Mario: The Oragami King Page 4

Next Last
  • mikew1985 1 Aug 2020 22:52:28 14,757 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yea OK, I ended up buying it in the end and it is pretty great so far. I do wish they had the leveling mechanics and that you could avidly use the companions actively in battle but it's for really good variety and, as everyone had been saying the writing is good.
  • HairyArse 2 Aug 2020 07:59:50 1,416 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Bought this even though I'd read the fairly middling reviews but so far I'm mostly really enjoying it.

The world design and moment-to-moment action is constantly delightful. As many others have said, the writing is excellent, and the only real downside is the battle sections which are average at best. I don't know if it's me, but sometimes, even if I extend the timer by a good minute or so, I still can't see the solution and end up brute forcing it.

Thankfully they get a bit more in-depth and varied as you progress through the game, though. I've done two main bosses so far and the slightly alternative nature of those battles is a bit more interesting, but they can sometimes go on a bit too long.

Overall, though, it's wonderfully charming, looks absolutely gorgeous and I'm glad I bought it, even if £44 does seem lik ea lot of money to spend on games these days.

Oh and does anyone else find the toad radar tool a bit confusing to use?
  • arty 2 Aug 2020 09:06:36 730 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @mikew1985 Yeah some layouts are hard to see, you could always ask the Toads for help. The battle system makes boss battles interesting, quite an impressive piece of design tbh.
  • Youthist 2 Aug 2020 11:28:47 14,262 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    When you ask the toads for help and they hit a goon for 2HP, is that indicating which move to make first on the puzzle?

Edited by Youthist at 11:28:56 02-08-2020
  • askew 2 Aug 2020 11:50:16 21,560 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I don't think so. They will make the first move for you if you tip them 100 coins.
  • Youthist 2 Aug 2020 11:53:07 14,262 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    ah ok - didnít know that!
  • mikew1985 2 Aug 2020 17:52:58 14,757 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    arty wrote:
    @mikew1985 Yeah some layouts are hard to see, you could always ask the Toads for help. The battle system makes boss battles interesting, quite an impressive piece of design tbh.
    Excuse me it was not i struggling with the basic slide puzzles. ;p
  • Humperfunk 6 Aug 2020 10:13:01 8,200 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Think I'll finish this today, pretty sure I'm near the end if not actually in front of the final part of the game...
  • Humperfunk 6 Aug 2020 12:17:46 8,200 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Turns out I had saved it in front of the final boss!

Whilst different in many ways to The Thousand Year Door, I have to say this has been a superb return to form for the series. The only complaint I have is one the reviews picked up on which is that the battles can become tiresome in the latter half of the game as they are pretty much unnecessary. And maybe if it was more of an RPG, it would be even better.

But in terms of character, sound and most importantly fun, that was an absolute blast. Took me around 33 hours I would say (judging by the Switch game time tracker thing), I got probably about 75% of collectibles which is enough for me.

Tl;dr- would highly recommend.
  • jonathanlealand 9 Aug 2020 22:45:25 52 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Humperfunk Nice!

I never got around to Colour Splash and Iíve heard itís underrated, but look forward to Origami King.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.