Game prices 'back in the day' Page 3

Next Last
  • ZuluHero 30 May 2020 00:22:27 8,753 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    boo wrote:
    Were PS1 games really that expensive? I must have waited for price drops because there's no way I could have paid full whack for all those games.
    Yep! £50 was about the going price for first releases. Platinum range was £20-30.
  • boo 30 May 2020 00:45:23 13,588 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I bought Fantavision with my PS2! Quite liked it actually.
  • ghostgate2001 30 May 2020 00:52:14 677 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Dougs A UK inflation calculator says it's the equivalent of £106 in 2020 money... No wonder most of us didn't have massive game collections back then!

Still, I did get to play quite a wide range of stuff on my Atari thanks to an enterprising local video library that had begun renting out Atari cartridges alongside the usual VHS tapes - about 8 years before Blockbuster was even a thing :)
  • Saul_Iscariot 30 May 2020 00:56:31 3,716 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Back when I had a C64 I only could afford the Mastertronic £1.99 and Firebird £2.50 range of games. Birthdays and Christmas were for the must have titles, and then copied tapes for the gaps.

It was not until the N64 that I could afford my own games. I used to shop around, £50 was my usual price, unless something went on sale. I remember looking at a lot of PS1 games, seeing the new releases at £40. And titles got discounted much more rapidly.

Next gen I went with a GameCube, PS2 and Xbox. New releases on all were usually around £40, except I started importing games after picking up Freeloader. No waiting for Windwaker, Animal Crossing or Skies of Arcadia for this boy.

Since then I found prices stayed reasonably constant, until the PS4/Switch. Alongside this I had a PC. Never a meaty machine, just picked up people’s castoff peripherals. Mostly paid about £30 fir a game of less.
  • Samildanach 30 May 2020 01:21:59 310 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I remember my first Gameboy games were Duck Tales and Double Dragon which cost £25 and £20 respectively. I was lucky to get four games a year back then, whereas now I can buy massive 60 hr plus AAA games, built by hundreds of (very) hard working people for less that on the PS Store. Now, cost in not the issue, but time certainly is. Whenever I consider a game, it is always now about whether it is worth my valuable free time rather than something just vaguely interesting that I may or may not like. The downside is that I am less likely to try something from a genre I am less familiar/keen of.
  • grey_matters 30 May 2020 03:01:26 5,265 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    The ZX Spectrum +2 was the best anti-piracy machine I've ever owned. It was 50/50 if a fucking retail tape would load, never mind a copy from a mate!

Wish I'd been a bit more savvy with a soldering iron back then, so I could've fitted a volume switch on the damned thing.
    Oh yes. You could tell before the sound kicked in whether it had a chance to load, and if it did, you fucking froze for the length it.

Absolute dogshit build quality of the tape section too. Married to a keyboard that would survive the heat death of the universe.
  • challenge_hanukkah 30 May 2020 07:16:02 12,734 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    The ZX Spectrum +2 was the best anti-piracy machine I've ever owned. It was 50/50 if a fucking retail tape would load, never mind a copy from a mate!

Wish I'd been a bit more savvy with a soldering iron back then, so I could've fitted a volume switch on the damned thing.
    Yeah, I had that shitty +2a model with compatibility problems too.

I blame Alan Sugar. Fucking Amstrad model shit.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 30 May 2020 07:22:45 13,545 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Platinum series launching on PS1 was a godsend to those of us still relying on our pocket and odd job money
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 30 May 2020 07:23:28 13,545 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Long stretches of only playing OPM demo discs because I couldn’t afford full games
  • SnackPlissken 30 May 2020 08:13:11 1,857 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I used to watch a VHS from Mean Machines as I couldn’t afford any new games

https://youtu.be/Zh8hEtoztDg
  • Dougs 30 May 2020 08:19:44 94,084 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    ghostgate2001 wrote:
    @Dougs A UK inflation calculator says it's the equivalent of £106 in 2020 money... No wonder most of us didn't have massive game collections back then!

Still, I did get to play quite a wide range of stuff on my Atari thanks to an enterprising local video library that had begun renting out Atari cartridges alongside the usual VHS tapes - about 8 years before Blockbuster was even a thing :)
    Yikes! I think I had about 6 or 7 games over the years,until I got a C64. I was also lucky in that I won the console in a Walls Ice Cream competition.
  • DUFFMAN5 30 May 2020 09:37:00 25,862 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    b-rk wrote:
    last ninja 2 c64 £11.99

star fox snes (import) £95 (thx mum)

super star wars £75 (import)

/shrug
    Last Ninja 2.
    Loved that/those games
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 30 May 2020 09:56:22 3,916 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    MrAGSystems wrote:
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    One_Vurfed_Gwrx wrote:
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Rum_Monkey wrote:
    How much were the consoles themselves back in the day?
    I remember a Saturn was about 449 quid. Is that right?
    Saturn launched at £399.99 in the UK as a standalone console but if you wanted an RF cable you had to pay an extra 25 quid for a TV modulator (it did come with a nice SCART cable but tv support was limited back then). One of the reasons PS1 did so well was launching at £299.99 (and all of the advertising etc).
    The Saturn was never worth that kind of money.
    Nope, not a bit of it. Didn't Sega also pull that completely mad stunt of showing it off at E3 and then saying "by the way it's in the shops tomorrow"?

And no one bought it because it was very much a case of "thanks Rodger Sega, I'll just fetch the 400 odd from the back of the couch for the morning, no bothers".

All of which left Sony to waltz in and say "299, chaps, have at it".

Edit - yiu have to give it to Sony, they know how to market their gear and recognise an opportunity to pounce.
    The PS1 announcement caused Sega to panic, hastily upgrade the machine spec to do better 3D (and make it harder to program well) by adding an extra VDP (possibly an extra CPU) and, as you said, panic released it early with shoddy launch titles at a high price (even if I do have a soft spot for Panzer Dragoon).
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.