Wired Headset Recommendations? (Mostly for music)

• Psychotext 10 Jun 2020 12:06:19 67,198 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I've grown annoyed with my shitty PC headset. It's fine for using for my daily teams etc calls, but the audio quality for music / movies is fucking awful.

I'm looking for something wired, closed back (as they'll be used late at night). Anyone got any suggestions?
  • Tonka 10 Jun 2020 12:12:01 30,901 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The SONY ones you get for free with the purchase of their Xperia 1 Mk II.
    Also work wirelessly AND you get a good phone
  • andytheadequate 10 Jun 2020 12:56:30 9,217 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What's your budget? And will you be using them for calls too?
  • Psychotext 10 Jun 2020 13:05:34 67,198 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Logitech G Pro / G Pro X looks promising. Don't know if anyone here uses them.

Edit - Wouldn't want to go over 120 if I could avoid it, and yes, they have to be good for calls as that's mostly what they'll be used for in the daytime (before switching to movies / music at night).

Edited by Psychotext at 13:06:44 10-06-2020
  • andytheadequate 10 Jun 2020 13:14:45 9,217 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Logitech G Pro / G Pro X looks promising. Don't know if anyone here uses them.

Edit - Wouldn't want to go over 120 if I could avoid it, and yes, they have to be good for calls as that's mostly what they'll be used for in the daytime (before switching to movies / music at night).
    I have the cheaper version of the Logitech headset (can't remember model name but it was roughly 60rrp). Thinking of selling it if you're interested, my new noise cancelling headphones have a mic so don't need them any more. Mic is good, relatively comfortable, and sound is alright for gaming. Not the best for music, but it depends what you're comparing them to. Not sure how the more expensive model compares them though.

Another option would be to get a decent set of ear phones and buy a plug in mic for them. Probably get better sound quality than a pure gaming headset but would need to double check everything would work before buying. For example, you can pick up some Lindy BNX-60 headphones for around 55 quid in the sale and they're sound quality is pretty good, but the inbuilt mic is crap. A 20 plug in mic should work though and you'd end up with decent headset (in theory at least).

Edited by andytheadequate at 13:17:35 10-06-2020
  • Psychotext 10 Jun 2020 13:23:58 67,198 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I actually have a number of (very) good sets of headphones. Hadn't considered standalone mics... maybe I'll have a look for that sort of thing.

Cheers.
  • andytheadequate 10 Jun 2020 13:28:45 9,217 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    When I was looking into the same thing recently an awful lot of people were recommending this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BJ17WKK/?coliid=ISXDBLIXR2N6E&colid=1BTHTUB9986YR&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Just need to check if it's compatible but apparently it works well, and can also be used on a PS4/Xbox. There's a few cheaper options too.
  • gamecat 10 Jun 2020 14:07:05 985 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Solution I used for a while was USB soundcard with headphone amp, some Sennheiser something or others (just regular headphones) and an Antlion mod mic. Sounded great and the mic is really good. Don't use that anymore as someone borrowed my phones then promptly disappeared, gone wireless now, which is tidier, but noticeably worse sound quality.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.