Star Wars Squadrons Page 8

• Decks Best Forumite, 2016 19 Jun 2020 20:34:33 25,655 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    But how many x-wings do the rebels realistically possess at one single point, like 30 maybe? I donít see how the cost of mass producing Tie fighters even enters into it. Itís like they just needed some easy targets for the x-wings to shoot or something.
    The empire ruled the galaxy though. It wasn't just the rebels they were fighting.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 19 Jun 2020 20:35:18 25,655 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Fucks sake get that nerdery off the top of the page.
  • Technoishmatt 19 Jun 2020 20:38:48 4,287 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Way more than 30. I think there were a couple dozen fighters that attacked the Death Star in the first film, and that was a small force.

A single star destroyer would house dozens and dozens of TIE ships. There are hundreds of rebel fighters at Endor.

Edited by Technoishmatt at 20:39:58 19-06-2020
  • Flying_Pig 19 Jun 2020 21:04:49 16,625 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I tend to shy away from SW games, but this looks potentially brilliant.

I just hope the SP justifies the purchase price as I'm not bothered by all the MP squad stuff.
  • LegendaryApe 19 Jun 2020 21:14:14 2,064 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gibroon wrote:
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    LegendaryApe wrote:
    I think the prequel series had the better vehicles.
    Get a grip, man.
    And the best lightsaber fights.

/stokes fire
    Agree totally. I like the vehicles in the original trilogy, they're iconic. I just prefer the look of the prequel ships. They are very well designed movies.

One classic ship I don't like much is the millennium falcon. I know it makes me sound a bit...like a fuckin idiot, but it doesn't make sense in my mind. I like the overall shape but side on it's just so flat. It looks like you'd have to crawl on your hands and knees to get around it.

Shun me if you must.
  • LegendaryApe 19 Jun 2020 21:16:19 2,064 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    I'm guessing you also:

- Think Godfather Part 3 was the best of the trilogy.
    - Think the AvP movies were way better than Alien and Aliens.
    - Think the Terminator franchise only really got going properly with the third film.
    - Watch Mrs. Brown's Boys of your own free will.
    Haha nope on all those, but I do like the avp movies. Not as much as the originals, but I've always liked the different predator helmet designs. I had the Celtic predator helmet from the first avp until recently.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 19 Jun 2020 21:20:14 25,655 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Wait... are you saying you actually like the prequels?
  • LegendaryApe 19 Jun 2020 21:23:01 2,064 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Decks

I do. Genuinely enjoyed them. I even have concept arts books from the films and enjoyed the various games based on them.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 19 Jun 2020 21:24:49 33,025 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The pod people have actually arrived.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 19 Jun 2020 21:28:41 25,655 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Now THIS is pod people.
  • beastmaster 19 Jun 2020 21:34:43 20,940 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Episode 1 Racer Remaster (or whatever it is) is out on 23rd June. Yippie!

Edit: Forget about adrenalines, the midichlorian count will be off the scale!

Edited by beastmaster at 21:36:26 19-06-2020
  • LegendaryApe 19 Jun 2020 21:37:10 2,064 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Episode 1 Racer Remaster (or whatever it is) is out on 23rd June. Yippie!
    See? Without the prequels we would be without Beastie's childlike joy. And a great racing game.
  • Anthony_UK 19 Jun 2020 21:39:08 3,020 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm sure it's all playtested and designed for the player count, but limiting it to 5v5 has me a little worried.

Other than potentially not feeling that "epic" I'm guessing it's only take a small party of competent players on the opposing team to make it a fairly one sided affair.
  • captbirdseye 19 Jun 2020 21:40:40 9,646 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It's basically moba in space which is no bad for thing.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 19 Jun 2020 21:49:29 33,025 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The most n00b friendly and welcoming of game types.
  • Fake_Blood 19 Jun 2020 22:33:19 10,456 posts
    Seen 47 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    But how many x-wings do the rebels realistically possess at one single point, like 30 maybe? I donít see how the cost of mass producing Tie fighters even enters into it. Itís like they just needed some easy targets for the x-wings to shoot or something.
    The empire ruled the galaxy though. It wasn't just the rebels they were fighting.
    No way. It's just like the storm troopers never landing a shot, the TIE fighters are only there to show big explosions and to crash into their own ships.
    I like Star Wars, and I'm really looking forward to this game. But at the same time I think the movies are really really dumb and they don't adhere to their own internal logic.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 19 Jun 2020 22:42:45 25,655 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The original films and the games and books that expanded on them definitely did have an internal logic. Things didn't really get dumb until the prequels and the new films.
  • IronGiant 19 Jun 2020 23:00:48 6,115 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Why set this after RoTJ.. some of the original trilogy would have been great, the battle of Hoth against the AT AT for one, even the Death Star trench would have been awesome on the new consoles. I remember being blown away by the arcade vector graphics version at the time!
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 19 Jun 2020 23:13:06 9,030 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @IronGiant I've kinda fought Hoth too many times now across too many different games. It's up there with the Battle of the Red Cliffs (Romance of the Three Kingdoms/Dynasty Warriors) and A Boa Qu (Gundam) on the list of "battles I never want to do again in a game".

I'd be absolutely up for a New Republic era game if it was actually the New Republic from the old expanded universe, that had fleets and supply lines and occasionally competent generals and all that stuff. The version from the Disney version of the universe, whose military seems to be composed of a handful of hippies who make their bases out of twigs... less fussed about that one.
  • Malek86 20 Jun 2020 05:22:28 10,179 posts
    Seen 44 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'll be annoyed if the Empire campaign is just "hey guys, we are bad, let's defect". Let me be a proper Imperial pilot for once. I want to shoot ewoks with impunity.
  • Alastair 20 Jun 2020 13:45:06 24,272 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Itís out in October? May be around the same time as the new console launches.
    Surely it's going to be on PS5..
    Ready-made bundle with new new console, VR kit and this.
  • Fake_Blood 20 Jun 2020 15:20:57 10,456 posts
    Seen 47 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think Sony is going to wait at least a year before they launch psvr2. Would be nice if you could just plug in the current psvr though.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 20 Jun 2020 15:31:59 25,655 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    You can
  • Saul_Iscariot 21 Jun 2020 22:35:54 3,745 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Your-Mother wrote:
    I selfishly hope this is more sim than arcade. If itís just Rogue Squadron with VR and shinies then sure, itíll be a nice experience, but something closer to X-Wing/TIE Fighter will see the jism fly.
    Reading between the lines of various interviews, I think it will sit somewhere in between both experiences. PSVR is looking a lot more tempting now.
  • Khanivor 21 Jun 2020 23:18:00 44,482 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Your-Mother wrote:
    What about those bombs in the prequels that went BWAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMFFFFFF and inexplicably had a flat shockwave. In space.
    That was just about the coolest bit of AotC
  • Rodney 22 Jun 2020 05:06:18 4,471 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Somewhere between the old school X-Wing Sims and Battlefront /Rogue Squadron is probably the sweet spot for me

I loved X-Wing/Tie Fighter back in the day but I was a teenager with free time. They were very unforgiving and not sure I'd have the patience for them today.

It definitely needs more depth than Battlefront though. The space combat was a bit shit in those games.
  • Saul_Iscariot 22 Jun 2020 05:28:36 3,745 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I quite enjoyed the ship combat in the first Battlefront game by DICE, but, boy was it shallow. It worked because when the tedium set in you could switch to a ground offensive. And though much of it felt like running around like a headless chicken until you found a hero token, the range of scenarios kept me going.

With Squadrons, it will need a bit more depth. It does run the risk of getting very samey. Hopefully theyíll keep it fresh. The single player mode is what I am looking forward to the most.
  • Rodney 22 Jun 2020 06:45:53 4,471 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I really only found it playable because the graphics were good and it's star wars. The flying controls are really weird in those games. Its like EA were terrified people would be confused by pitch, yaw and roll controls and dumbed it down so much it didn't really feel like you were flying.

The scale seemed off too. The X-wing / tie fighter models were quite big so the relative speeds seemed quite slow, and the large stations /star destroyers didn't have any sense of scale to them as a result.

In the old Games you'd see a star destroyers as a small object far away and it would take you a few minutes to close the distance. It really made it feel like you were a small object approach a large object. I never got the same sense in Battlefield.

Edited by Rodney at 06:46:41 22-06-2020

Edited by Rodney at 06:47:05 22-06-2020
  • christourlord 22 Jun 2020 06:59:30 2,778 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Iím hoping for Elite Dangerous, but fun.
  • Salaman 22 Jun 2020 14:52:21 23,838 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Rodney wrote:
    Somewhere between the old school X-Wing Sims and Battlefront /Rogue Squadron is probably the sweet spot for me

I loved X-Wing/Tie Fighter back in the day but I was a teenager with free time. They were very unforgiving and not sure I'd have the patience for them today.

It definitely needs more depth than Battlefront though. The space combat was a bit shit in those games.
    I bought the X-wing, Tie fighter and Xwing Alliance on Good old Games.
    I correctly remembered the joy of flying a space fighter. I had forgotten the frustration of the difficult missions.

Then I manage to pass the mission and get temped to try and sneak up on a star destroyer from behind to knock down the shield generators and slowly whittle down the hull and destroy it.

And I get myself killed half way through that procedure.
    :-/

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.