Following Horizon Forbidden West Page 4

Next Last
  • eshy76 17 Jun 2020 15:31:57 190 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm one of those who loved the first one and played it to 100% completion (70-odd hours). I thought for a first attempt at an open world game, Guerrilla got a lot right. It was by no means perfect, but a technically accomplished, original concept (this was pre-Monster Hunter World), nicely told story with better combat than pretty much any other open world game out at that point.

There were some busywork issues, but nothing like your average Assassin's Creed game. For example, there were something like 6 tower dinobots to scale in the game vs...like 20-30 towers in Assassin's Creed Odyssey or in the average Far Cry?

Things that I hope will be improved in the second game:

* The sidequests could be bland - very few open world games get this right, but GTAV and The Witcher 3 are probably the best examples here in terms of having a variety of side-stuff, which often turn out to be mini-stories in of themselves.

* Cack water effects - surprising given the quality of the rest of the game, but this seems to be fixed in Horizon Forbidden West based on the trailer.

* Dialogue - I actually really liked the story/mystery element of the first game, but interactions with NPCs were so-so...I'm playing through FFVII remake right now and I care about my buddies! Aloy was more of a loner.

* Human battles - the dino battles were incredible and memorable...the human stuff less so...will be interesting if the CPU upgrades will help with the AI for the next game. I always thought the AI in the Killzone games was decent, so hopefully they can improve this.
  • Armoured_Bear 17 Jun 2020 16:52:08 28,876 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The substandard dialogue mattered less to me than the excellence of the main story arc and unveiling of what happened. That's clearly a personal thing though.

Sylens annoys the shit out of me though.
  • Switch-v85 17 Jun 2020 17:01:32 3,915 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's important to the overall experience though, it's a big part of why The Witcher 3 is so engaging. Every sidequest, no matter how small has decent dialogue that helps to draw you further into the world, they properly add to the experience.
  • Derblington 17 Jun 2020 17:31:38 33,438 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I thought the world history was interesting but Aloy’s story and all the side quests were gash.
  • Switch-v85 17 Jun 2020 19:23:25 3,915 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago

Aiming to release 2021.

Edited by Switch024 at 19:36:19 17-06-2020
  • JamboWayOh 17 Jun 2020 20:42:01 20,059 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh wow, so it's pretty close.
  • quadfather 18 Jun 2020 09:59:24 36,747 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nice
  • eshy76 18 Jun 2020 12:21:14 190 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear That was me forcing myself to try and look at the game objectively! As with you, the things I listed did not get close to outweighing the positives and it is probably in my top 3 of the gen, along with Witcher 3 and God of War...that might become a top 4 after Friday...we'll see!
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.