First Previous
  • Bichii 26 Jun 2020 21:43:10 3,092 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Last one vanished....
  • Mark1412 27 Jun 2020 12:02:08 1,725 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Shame all the other discussion is gone. I seem to have written enough to make up for it though.

I finished this last night. I've certainly never played a better-made game, thought that would have been RDR2 come the end of this generation but on an individual and collective level this is just something else. I think they were pretty brave making it, tonally it's way off the first one and the choice to spend half the game with Abby is the kind of thing I normally hate but by the end I was rooting for her more than Ellie. I thought she was a brilliant character and the voice acting was superb, true of all the characters. The two narratives were handled really well and knowing where Abby was headed added a lot to the overall feeling.

So many standout moments loads of the quieter, non-combat moments like in the spacecraft and aquarium, the zebra, the music shop, the snowball fight at the start, the farm, seeing the almost identical settings of all the factions but also so many exciting parts like the gardens, the sniper scene, all of the island but especially Haven and the escape and that incredible final two hours which I wasn't expecting at all. I thought they really leaned into the horror side this time, particularly in the hospital and the war. Nearly shit myself several times.

It's still the only game where I feel like the violence is meaningful. And it's obviously so gritty - the shotgun and explosive bow/arrow are up there with the best weapons. I loved the combat even more this time, the weight and franticness of it, going prone added so much, and how clever they are with resources - the final two hours where you're able to really hunt because they overwhelm you with supplies was great. They nailed the hunter/hunted feeling all the way through.

And I loved the story. Obviously pretty depressing, but it threw up lots of surprises and shocks and had a point to make. Once Joel had been executed it was quite clear where it was headed but still managed to twist and turn and it almost made it worse knowing where it was going.

Cannot imagine the time and effort it took to get the animation that precise, the realism in the facial expressions, that many different locations so detailed, the voice acting so perfect, the feel of the weapons so satisfying, the insane audio, the level of precision on the violence there was a part in the sniper scene where I was crawling past a body and Tommy took of its nose and half its cheek, and the part in Haven with the guy who wouldn't die, sticking that arrow in his eye and the slices of the scythe across his mouth. I said it in the other thread but it's that rare game that has a really clear, consistent vision and everything sticks to it.

I get the reasons why people don't like it (away from the bigots, edge-lords and usual weirdos anyway). It's a very different game to the first and not the direction I imagine many people expected. If at the end of the last game someone had told me this would be the direction of the next game I would have been really negative about it, but they absolutely pulled it off and it was better for being hugely different to what I hoped for and expected. First one's up there with my favourite games. I imagine this will be too.
  • Bichii 27 Jun 2020 12:11:12 3,092 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah I loved the final area how I had so much I went full Rambo! :).

I barely used the explosive bow which I plan to change on the second run through. Was always saving it for something later and barely used it.
  • Bichii 27 Jun 2020 12:26:52 3,092 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The title screen after you complete it give me some solice in an otherwise very depressing ending.
  • mumtoucher 27 Jun 2020 12:27:40 693 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The Rattlers at the end are the only real group that you would consider evil, slavers and general bastards.

The scars, wolves and Jackson lot are living relatively similar lives living off the land.

Edited by mumtoucher at 12:28:15 27-06-2020
  • Mr_Sleep 27 Jun 2020 12:33:08 23,340 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Just as an aside, I don't think it is necessary to spoiler tag things in the spoiler thread, it is clearly marked. I certainly admire your thoroughness and diligence in that post.
  • Mark1412 27 Jun 2020 12:37:48 1,725 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I thought better safe than sorry as it was at the top, just in case anyone came in accidentally thinking it was the other thread. I won't from now on as anyone in by mistake should have realised by half way down the page!

I played with headphones and the explosive bow's combination of sound and 'explosive' results was extremely satisfying when fighting the rattlers. I also appreciated the ability to let loose the infected on them.
  • Frogofdoom 27 Jun 2020 12:45:26 16,433 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I didnt use the explosive bow once, I feel I may have missed out on something.
  • Bichii 27 Jun 2020 12:52:04 3,092 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Frogofdoom you definitely did. The few times I used it was immensely satisfying..:)
  • Zomoniac 27 Jun 2020 13:41:51 10,199 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @mumtoucher thatís not how I felt about the Scars at all. I took it more as a take on religious extremism, starts out peaceful, ends up with people twisting the text until they think itís justifiable to leave bodies hanging from trees with their intestines falling out.
  • chopsen 27 Jun 2020 13:43:16 20,995 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Post deleted
  • chopsen 27 Jun 2020 13:43:55 20,995 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Fairly sure Mental Religious Cult are the Baddies is a fairly well worn gaming archetype, but I'm struggling to think of an example....
  • WrongShui 27 Jun 2020 13:45:18 6,804 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Far Cry 5 springs to mind.
  • Zomoniac 27 Jun 2020 13:49:50 10,199 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Didnít Resi 4 have one? Didnít stick with it long enough to get there, but I recall the trailers showing stereotypical cult wise men types with cloaks and big beards in some kind of castle.
  • sid92 27 Jun 2020 13:52:07 3,547 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just finished it. I thought large parts of the game are 10/10 quality, particularly graphics and sound. Unbelievable with a good headset! But! I donít like the story, at all really. Itís a mess for large parts of it.

The first game felt like a continuous journey going from season to season over the course of a year, this is a mess constantly flashing backing and changing characters. Sometimes all it gives you is ĎSeattle day 2í how are we supposed to keep track? There was at least three occasions where I thought I was going to the aquarium with Abby to find Owen dead and it wasnít.

Really didnít like the last 2 hours, especially the ending. Loved the section on the scars island though.

I would give it an 8 overall, enjoyed most of it but I donít think itís a patch on the first.
  • Darth_Flibble 27 Jun 2020 13:55:25 4,241 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Unitology in Dead Space
    fallout games will have loads
    The order in Silent hill
    think there was a group in bioshock 1 or 2
  • sid92 27 Jun 2020 13:55:53 3,547 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Really tried to like Abby but I just couldnít get on with her at all, Beth is right! sheís a bitch who fucks everything up. Tbh I donít even really like Ellie is this either.

I liked Yara and Lev.
  • Derblington 27 Jun 2020 15:01:32 33,149 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Worth a listen if youíve finished the game and want to understand a bit more about it. Really interesting to find out that Neil pitched Ashley the story during Left Behind.

• Mark1412 27 Jun 2020 15:04:48 1,725 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I really felt for Abby, being able to play through that final scene of The Last of Us from her perspective was powerful. I loved those final scenes in the first game where they give you the tools and weapons to hunt the Fireflies ending in the execution of the scientists. To see the fallout of what just felt like Joel protecting someone he loved for Abby was pretty grim - she's the way she is in TLOU2 because of him/you.

I felt a lot more towards Abby than Ellie by the end, who chose to destroy her own family for revenge and clearly hadn't learned anything when she left to find her for the second time (whereas Abby definitely had and cared more for Lev than Ellie did for Dina or the baby).
  • Bichii 27 Jun 2020 15:12:55 3,092 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    Worth a listen if youíve finished the game and want to understand a bit more about it. Really interesting to find out that Neil pitched Ashley the story during Left Behind.

Cool thanks, I'll watch that now.

From Latin America PlayStation channel so the intro is in Spanish but it's Gustavo Santaolalla performing many of the new tracks in a studio. Excellent..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4StZP7BHu4k
  • [maven] 27 Jun 2020 16:00:13 5,669 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Mark1412 I'm sorta in the same boat, but I could imagine Ellie (who still is haunted / PTSD'd ó doesn't sleep etc.) doing this to get catharsis, so she can finally move on (or so she hopes).

This game does not really have likable (main) characters. Their motivations are entirely understandable; and in a way it makes the whole thing more upsetting (and feeling pointless).

The way it ends, it leaves a lingering aftertaste.

IMO props on sticking to that.

(Also, holy shit is the hospital section scary: I was shooting the walls!)
  • eshy76 27 Jun 2020 18:09:47 187 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Derblington wrote:

I've watched some of that and the key nugget for me was on the ending...Druckmann wanted to leave it open ended for everyone to come up with their own view as to where Ellie was walking off to...which is the ending we have and I love.

However there was a version of the ending where Ellie puts baby JJ's toy in her backpack before walking off...Druckmann thought that was too obvious (it is) and dropped it...but this suggests that the "correct" interpretation of the ending was that Ellie is walking back to Dina and JJ.

The podcast is a must watch by the way.
  • Derblington 27 Jun 2020 18:38:52 33,149 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Well no. It suggests the correct ending is the one in the game - both Neil and Ashley responded that they didnít know where she was going, but the other ending made it seem very obvious where she intended to go.
  • ozthegweat 27 Jun 2020 18:44:03 2,500 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I was stunned how ND managed to manipulate me. In the level where Abby and Manny had to flank the sniper, after a while I got so angry with that Scar shooting me and luring infected towards my location, I swapped from the rifle to the flamethrower, because I wanted that fucker to burn. When at the end of the level I saw that it was Tommy, I couldn't help but smile and shake my head in amazement.
  • [maven] 27 Jun 2020 18:50:56 5,669 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Thanks for that spoilercast link. That was interesting...

I didnít realize that the post-game title screen was Catalina island; I thought it was the round building from the camp.
  • sid92 27 Jun 2020 19:06:24 3,547 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ozthegweat wrote:
    I was stunned how ND managed to manipulate me. In the level where Abby and Manny had to flank the sniper, after a while I got so angry with that Scar shooting me and luring infected towards my location, I swapped from the rifle to the flamethrower, because I wanted that fucker to burn. When at the end of the level I saw that it was Tommy, I couldn't help but smile and shake my head in amazement.
    I did the exact same thing! Went sprinting up with a sliver of health, no med packs a flamethrower in my hands and big smile on face only too see tommy :)
  • WrongShui 27 Jun 2020 19:09:38 6,804 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Wasn't it obviously Tommy? You know it's a trespasser, you know Jesse went to the marina to find Tommy, and during Ellie's section it makes a point of him using a long ranged rifle with a scope?

Edited by WrongShui at 19:16:13 27-06-2020
  • [maven] 27 Jun 2020 19:23:57 5,669 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    At that, it shouldíve been, but I didnít put it together. /mumbles about hate & rage at being shot at
  • WrongShui 27 Jun 2020 19:30:26 6,804 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I was very annoyed that the one section of the game where Ellie's smoke grenade upgrade would have been useful, I couldn't use them. Great set piece though.
  • Toasty 27 Jun 2020 20:06:49 7 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Despite everything she did, i still felt more for ellie in the end. I think a abby comes off better because her story starts with her getting revenge, whereas ellies entire arc is about revenge. I wish i was better at writing my thoughts down but im dumb, so ill just talk about the gameplay.
    I thought although abby had the best setpieces ellie played better as a character. watching enemies walk into trap mines will never not be funny. also, fuck that boss fight in the hospital basement playing on survival i pumped all my ammo into it. Then found you have to fight a second fight straight after.
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.