The Last of Us 2 SPOILER DISCUSSION. Page 4

• Bichii 29 Jun 2020 23:28:34 3,092 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    In that universe?...
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 29 Jun 2020 23:29:01 8,695 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @JamboWayOh The whole of TLOU2 does encourage a "take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure" mindset, but I think that's just how the genre rolls. Other grimdark YA fiction - Hunger Games, Maze Runner etc, has a similarly bleak view of humanity. Nobody's good, everybody's bad and it eventually turns out the protagonist was shit as well.
  • JamboWayOh 29 Jun 2020 23:50:05 19,356 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    In that universe?...
    Yes, the universe that the Last of Us inhabits. You know like the universes made up in all fiction based media.
  • Bichii 29 Jun 2020 23:54:19 3,092 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Haha yeah I know thanks. I was just implying our real one isn't probably that far off tlou one in terms of the general population.

About half way through my new run, definitely after seeing Ellie's actions again Abby definitely comes across as the lesser shit out of the two.
  • JamboWayOh 29 Jun 2020 23:58:52 19,356 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    They're both shits, who have let rage consume their life, by the end you can say Abby has learnt more but the cost, which we never see but see the aftermath of, has been traumatic.
  • WrongShui 30 Jun 2020 00:01:42 6,804 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    They are the same, Abby just lucks out bumping into Joel as soon as she arrives, no need for a trail of death and destruction.
  • Bichii 30 Jun 2020 00:08:35 3,092 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Good point, how far would have Abby gone with the look outs etc if she didn't bump into Joel. Owen definitely kept a lid on things regarding Ellie and Tommy.
  • DUFFMAN5 30 Jun 2020 04:40:28 25,868 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    sid92 wrote:
    I personally would have liked a choice at the end to kill or not kill Abby, even if killing her gave me a ďbadĒ ending.

Agree that might have been a good choice, however we have that situation coming in Gears 6 campaign due to a choice we were given and had to make towards the end of Gears 5. It is very hard to do in a strong narrative driven game.

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 06:48:16 30-06-2020
  • JamboWayOh 30 Jun 2020 09:29:46 19,356 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    sid92 wrote:
    I personally would have liked a choice at the end to kill or not kill Abby, even if killing her gave me a ďbadĒ ending.

Agree that might have been a good choice, however we have that situation coming in Gears 6 campaign due to a choice we were given and had to make towards the end of Gears 5. It is very hard to do in a strong narrative driven game.
    Tbh that choice came out of NOWHERE, and I found it jarring and I didn't really buy into why it was there in the first place. Like I felt that it was 'trying' to evoke an emotion from me but it felt unearned and didn't have the desired impact the devs wanted. What about you Duff?
  • DUFFMAN5 30 Jun 2020 10:17:31 25,868 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @JamboWayOh
    I agree, do t think TC thought it out at all.

I wont say too much as revan and others will tell me off for derailing the thread into Gears!

On TLou2, noticing a lot of chums from psn and here, as most of my chums list is from Eurogamer are now completing the game. The current % is around 27%
    When I completed it was under 10% just putting it out there/hardcore ;)
  • Derblington 30 Jun 2020 10:30:41 33,149 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    Good point, how far would have Abby gone with the look outs etc if she didn't bump into Joel. Owen definitely kept a lid on things regarding Ellie and Tommy.
    He did but it wasnít Abby that wanted to kill them, it was Danny (I think his name was). It was the others that objected, and Abby told him to let them go.
  • minky-kong 30 Jun 2020 10:43:30 14,579 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ellie may be immune to the infection, but I think Tommy needs some sort of resilience award for being able to shake off a bullet to the head with just a lost eye and some facial swelling.
  • waggy79 30 Jun 2020 10:58:51 2,258 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Indeed! Reminded me of the end of Fight Club.
  • DUFFMAN5 1 Jul 2020 08:52:44 25,868 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    So the sex scene with "Guns" and Owen was all kinds of horrible. I truly hope the years of taking GH had not left Abb's drier than a Desert downstairs as he went in pretty dry from what I could tell. Also it was not arousing in the slightest I had to go and get a lap dance in GTA just to get back on an even keel.

I will let you mull that over while you are eating your cornflakes, that is not a euphemism.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 1 Jul 2020 09:16:08 8,695 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5 Yeah, that scene was pretty awful. All the romance of a quickie against the wall by the bins out the back of a Croydon nightclub.

I think if they had tried to do a sex scene in any other way, it wouldn't have fit the game. But it was one of a few instances (the others relating to violence) where the game might have done well to leave more to the imagination.
  • DUFFMAN5 1 Jul 2020 09:21:47 25,868 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    So you come from Croydon ;)
  • Bichii 1 Jul 2020 09:21:50 3,092 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Wait what? I thought that scene was so realistic. You mean there are other ways to have sex!?
  • DUFFMAN5 1 Jul 2020 09:23:31 25,868 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Bichii
    Poor little revan...yes Honey there are other ways to perform the Beast with two backs ;)
  • Derblington 1 Jul 2020 09:27:58 33,149 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Was it awful because of the way it was shot, acted, narratively, because itís in a game, because Abby is built?

Content-wise thereís nothing there thatís particularly explicit, and movies feature the same ďgoing in dryĒ as Duff puts it. The whole scene wouldnít be uncommon for movies in general.
  • DUFFMAN5 1 Jul 2020 09:30:15 25,868 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Derblington
    All joking aside I didn't feel it was necessary at all. Abby's build had nothing to do with it. It was totally egregious.
  • JamboWayOh 1 Jul 2020 09:30:15 19,356 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    So the sex scene with "Guns" and Owen was all kinds of horrible. I truly hope the years of taking GH had not left Abb's drier than a Desert downstairs as he went in pretty dry from what I could tell. Also it was not arousing in the slightest I had to go and get a lap dance in GTA just to get back on an even keel.

I will let you mull that over while you are eating your cornflakes, that is not a euphemism.
    So she's a woman who's physically fit, so what? I'm not sure what you're trying to imply but it sounds kinda off tbh.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 1 Jul 2020 09:31:53 8,695 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Derblington Oh, I'm sure it's perfectly realistic, in so far as anything in a zombie apocalypse game is realistic. It's just sudden, perfunctory and one of the few times the game slips into "uncanny valley" territory in a technical sense.

It's an important plot point, but jeez... a smarter director might have gone for a slightly earlier fade-to-black there.
  • DUFFMAN5 1 Jul 2020 09:32:10 25,868 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @JamboWayOh
    What, you know I was a bodybuilder for several years, I worked for Ms Olympia. No issues with Abby being built. Her Triceps are fookin great.

I was trying to inject some humour, if anything Jambo I think you sound kinda off tbh.

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 09:32:28 01-07-2020
  • JamboWayOh 1 Jul 2020 09:33:14 19,356 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5

Hmmmm. Just checking Duff....just checking....
  • Derblington 1 Jul 2020 09:34:00 33,149 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    @Derblington
    All joking aside I didn't feel it was necessary at all. Abby's build had nothing to do with it. It was totally egregious.
    You reference her build every time you mention her and thereís a lot of hate for the character on the internet so I wasnít sure.
    Why was it egregious?
  • Mr_Sleep 1 Jul 2020 09:35:49 23,340 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    It felt very TV/movie in its formulation. Almost as soon as they started arguing I figured it would be an awkward sex scene. It really could have just ended with the kiss, we all know where that is going.

I have been watching loads of old films recently and I have come to the conclusion that I prefer the fade away to the fire rather than some contrived stupid sex scene. The same should apply to games. Perhaps they could have done the train into a tunnel metaphor a la North By Northwest.
  • Mr_Sleep 1 Jul 2020 09:38:21 23,340 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Although not a train in the post apocalypse, natch. Maybe it could have been had a knife being stabbed into something a la 80s action movies.

Edited by Mr_Sleep at 09:38:45 01-07-2020
  • DUFFMAN5 1 Jul 2020 09:38:41 25,868 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Derblington
    Derbs not again... please see my earlier responce. Yes I mention her build, so what. She is a computer character. The actor who plays her is nothing like her physical form, which I'm sure you are aware of. She is my very own Kait Diaz, if you go on the Gears forum, you will notice a lot of Gearheads talking about built in as much as she is Thicc. They are just games.

Oh yes, egregious. You don't think seeing her boobs for seconds and the sound of flesh on flesh was over the top ?

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 09:40:04 01-07-2020
  • Switch024 1 Jul 2020 09:40:12 3,746 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Considering how much brutality there is throughout the entire game I think it was important that they didn't just cut to black.
  • Derblington 1 Jul 2020 09:45:31 33,149 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Not sure why Laura Bailey not looking like her is relevant, but she also has a face (Jocelyn Mettler, ex-ND employee) and body model (Colleen Fotsch, CrossFit athlete) who obviously do look very much like her.

Iíll stay away from that forum, cheers.

Thereís a shit load of hate for the character on-line because of her narrative in killing Joel and because of her body. Itís not an odd question to ask.
    Mettler got a load of hate (because internet fandom) and deleted all of her socials as a result, and sheís literally just her face model.

Ed, for your ed: I wanted clarity on what you didnít like about it - you just said it was bad without explaining why. Everyone else gave more specific reasons.

I think it would have worked with an earlier fade but I donít mind the way itís presented as is. Itís fitting with the style and tone of the game in general - they donít shy away from showing moments of graphic intensity, though they keep them brief (look at every player death animation, for example).
    in terms of seeing her chest, no, it didnít bother me. Itís a sex scene. Why does it bother you?

Edited by Derblington at 10:01:19 01-07-2020

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.