Your favourite game of this generation? Page 3

• Fonzie 2 Jul 2020 10:07:51 3,421 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Bloodborne, without doubt. I struggle to find anything wrong with it.
  • Steve-Perry 2 Jul 2020 10:09:00 1,517 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Fonzie wrote:
    Bloodborne, without doubt. I struggle to find anything wrong with it.
    Awful frame rate. But I would still rate it in my top 5.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 2 Jul 2020 10:11:39 9,030 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, Bloodborne's only weaknesses are technical. A PS5 or PC version could solve that easily.
  • dfunked09 2 Jul 2020 10:12:42 31 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    /edit - clearly didn't read the OP!

1. BotW
    2. Doom 2016
    3. Nier Automata

Edited by dfunked09 at 19:36:58 02-07-2020
  • Steve-Perry 2 Jul 2020 10:14:43 1,517 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Yeah, Bloodborne's only weaknesses are technical. A PS5 or PC version could solve that easily.
    The DLC also turned it from excellent to amazeballs, but devs releasing games undercooked is just par for the course these days sadly.

I'm just nitpicking anyway. It's incredible. I'd pay £100 for a PC version without hesitation.
  • Murbs 2 Jul 2020 10:17:38 24,815 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Slay the Spire
    Breath of the Wild
    Nier Automata

Would love to be in with the Soulsborne crowd, but have just found all the games I've tried (DS1, DS2 & Bloodborne) to be utterly impenetrable and an exercise in frustration.
  • dfunked09 2 Jul 2020 10:21:23 31 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Murbs wrote:
    Would love to be in with the Soulsborne crowd, but have just found all the games I've tried (DS1, DS2 & Bloodborne) to be utterly impenetrable and an exercise in frustration.
    Same here... I kind of got into Demons Souls back in the day, but never finished it (got a decent way into it due to being able to cheese most bosses)
    I've tried the others, but just seem to play for a couple of hours before I realise that the level of challenge just isn't my cuppa.
  • Rhaegyr 2 Jul 2020 10:24:09 5,176 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    BOTW
    Witcher 3
    Sekiro
    Bloodborne
    Mario Odyssey

BOTW is far and away the winner for reasons people can articulate much better than I can.
  • wuntyate 2 Jul 2020 10:28:49 14,963 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bloodborne for me too.

Honorable mentions to:
    Death Stranding
    Prey
    Soma
    Nioh 1&2
    Witcher 3
    Dying Light
    The Division 2
  • DeadDeadpool 2 Jul 2020 10:48:02 56 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    OP stated 3
    What's with all the 1, 2, 4 and 5 posts?
    Not to mention 'honorable mentions' ?
  • Switch-v85 2 Jul 2020 10:48:16 3,915 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Last of Us 2 for me. Everything it's trying to do absolutely works for me, it's exactly the sort of game I want to play.

A few other standout games I've played this gen.

God Of War
    Uncharted 4 & Lost Legacy
    The Witcher 3
    Bloodborne
    Breath of the Wild
    Soma
    Hollow Knight
  • Switch-v85 2 Jul 2020 10:49:49 3,915 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DeadDeadpool wrote:
    OP stated 3
    What's with all the 1, 2, 4 and 5 posts?
    Not to mention 'honorable mentions' ?
    Honorable mentions are games we watched on YouTube.
  • wuntyate 2 Jul 2020 10:53:26 14,963 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    No no he's right. We're not sticking to the rules. I'm fucking sick of this place. Rule breakers everywhere. Including me. I'm fucking sick of me as well.
  • Britesparc 2 Jul 2020 11:07:31 2,056 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm probably going to change this when I finally play Witcher 3, but:

Breath of the Wild
    Forza Horizon 4
    Lego Marvel Super Heroes (yes, genuinely: I love the Lego games, and very few games this gen have given me that feeling of sheer unadulterated fun that I used to get from the likes of Crackdown, Halo, and Fable)
  • Fonzie 2 Jul 2020 11:21:11 3,421 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I didn't read the OP correctly.

1. Bloodborne.
    2. Dark Souls 3.
    3. Nioh (not played Nioh 2 yet).

I've never really had any issues with frame rate in Bloodborne.

Edited by Fonzie at 11:22:25 02-07-2020
  • Rum_Monkey 2 Jul 2020 11:22:59 982 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    I really loved Days Gone. Really clicked for me.
  • wuntyate 2 Jul 2020 11:43:12 14,963 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fonzie wrote:
    I didn't read the OP correctly.

1. Bloodborne.
    2. Dark Souls 3.
    3. Nioh (not played Nioh 2 yet).

I've never really had any issues with frame rate in Bloodborne.
    But if you look at the thread title, it clearly says game. Singular.

Oh god I just don't know what to do now.
  • Navi 2 Jul 2020 11:47:19 347 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    1. Judgement
    2. Spiderman
    3. XCOM 2
  • docrob 2 Jul 2020 13:03:53 1,575 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    dfunked09 wrote:
    Murbs wrote:
    Same here... I kind of got into Demons Souls back in the day, but never finished it (got a decent way into it due to being able to cheese most bosses)
    I've tried the others, but just seem to play for a couple of hours before I realise that the level of challenge just isn't my cuppa.
    I bounced off DeS and DS1 on the PS3. I made a bit more headway with Bloodborne, but I didnít fully Ďgetí the genre until DS3, which remains the only one I have finished. Bloodborne I got about half way through. I went back to DS1 with the remaster, and got a lot more out of it, but I still left it somewhere in Senís Fortress. Must pick it up again at some point. With DS3 I did all of the optional bosses, but when I played the first DLC I tired of it and didnít finish that either. Not sure if itís the games or me. Probably me. My 15yo son took up DS1 a couple of summers ago and has completed it about half a dozen times, just to try out different builds.
  • docrob 2 Jul 2020 13:03:54 1,575 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    dfunked09 wrote:
    Murbs wrote:
    I bounced off DeS and DS1 on the PS3. I made a bit more headway with Bloodborne, but I didnít fully Ďgetí the genre until DS3, which remains the only one I have finished. Bloodborne I got about half way through. I went back to DS1 with the remaster, and got a lot more out of it, but I still left it somewhere in Senís Fortress. Must pick it up again at some point. With DS3 I did all of the optional bosses, but when I played the first DLC I tired of it and didnít finish that either. Not sure if itís the games or me. Probably me. My 15yo son took up DS1 a couple of summers ago and has completed it about half a dozen times, just to try out different builds.
  • Cadence 2 Jul 2020 13:15:48 2,519 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Witcher 3 for me. Never before have I been so utterly immersed in a game world.
  • andytheadequate 2 Jul 2020 13:32:11 9,217 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    dfunked09 wrote:
    Murbs wrote:
    I loved Dark Souls Remastered and Dark Souls 3 is even better in the 10 hours I've played so far. I did play it co op though, and even the single player sections I had someone talking me through where to go. There's just no way I'd have had the patience to figure things out by trial and error or googling everything. It might have sprained the surprise, but for me it meant I could appreciate the depth of the game without too much frustration. Playing co op also meant it was easier, although invasions can get annoying in some areas.
  • Crocoboco 2 Jul 2020 14:44:05 16 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    Witcher 3
    A Way Out (the best co-op game I ever played)
    Horizon Zero Dawn
  • eshy76 2 Jul 2020 19:02:07 190 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Witcher 3
    Horizon Zero Dawn
    Persona 5
    God of War
    RiME
  • eshy76 2 Jul 2020 19:06:11 190 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Honourable mentions to:

Spider-Man
    Nier: Automata
    The Last of Us 2
    Uncharted 4 + Lost Legacy
    Rocket League
    Rise of the Tomb Raider
    Assassinís Creed Odyssey
    Assassinís Creed Black Flag
  • TechnoHippy 2 Jul 2020 19:09:35 17,520 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Dead Cells
    Slay the Spire
    Witcher 3
    Read Dead Redemption 3
  • Bichii 2 Jul 2020 19:20:37 3,179 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The Witcher 3 pretty far ahead on the EG opinions. Hopefully cyberpunk can keep up their standards!
  • PierrePressure 2 Jul 2020 20:14:51 1,113 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just 3 picks?

Skewed towards PlayStation but I'm gonna go with:

TLOU2
    Spiderman
    God of War

Sony have knocked it out of the park this generation.

Narrowly missing out are BotW (non existent dungeons lost it points) and Mario Odyssey which I loved and I could probably swap it out with Spiderman.
  • Bichii 2 Jul 2020 20:16:20 3,179 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I was disappointed with mario odyssey. I bought a switch pretty much solely to play odyssey and botw. Breath of the wild was incredible then I played Mario, it was fun but very meh after Zelda.
  • andytheadequate 2 Jul 2020 20:41:16 9,217 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    I was disappointed with mario odyssey. I bought a switch pretty much solely to play odyssey and botw. Breath of the wild was incredible then I played Mario, it was fun but very meh after Zelda.
    I was the opposite, I quite liked BotW but gave up on it after 20 hours or so, I kept getting frustrated traversing the open world only to have gone the wrong way. I see why people love it though. Was tempted to give it another go but the price of it is ridiculous.

Loved Mario Odyssey though. It was only my second 3d Mario game after 3d World, which was also brilliant but not sure if it counts as a true 3d Mario game?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.