Dead Cells
    Slay the Spire
    Witcher 3
    Read Dead Redemption 3
    Someone can't count.
  • andytheadequate 2 Jul 2020 21:38:53 9,217 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mine has to be Rocket League by a country mile with nearly 500 hours played.

Not sure what would take the other 2 slots. Really enjoyed Disco Elysium, Dirt Rally and Wreckfest, but it's hard to pick one of them as they're pretty different. I also enjoyed Trials Fusion and Rising, but they didn't grab me quite as much as HD and Evolution from the previous generation.

Mario Odyssey would probably be in my top 3.

Dark Souls Remastered was amazing, but probably counts as the previous generation. DS3 is even better in the first 10 hours so that would probably be in my top 3, but haven't played it enough yet to properly decide.

Most of my other top games by time played are turned based strategy games (Europa Universalis 4, Civ, Unity of Command, Rome 2/ Shogun 2 Total War). All great, but hard to pick one.

Edited by andytheadequate at 21:39:16 02-07-2020
  • Bichii 2 Jul 2020 22:24:54 3,179 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I don't get rocket league..sure it's fun for ten minutes but then I'm bored. My son plays it a bit and seems to get into it and we play I four player on occasion but there are other four player games I'd rather play with them. I did appreciate the Rick & Morty attachments to the car though.
  • JoeBlade 2 Jul 2020 22:37:28 5,109 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    DeadDeadpool wrote:
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Dead Cells
    Slay the Spire
    Witcher 3
    Read Dead Redemption 3
    Someone can't count.
    Hey, unlike Valve he can count to three.
  • Ultrasoundwave 2 Jul 2020 22:53:08 5,970 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dead Cells
    Dishonored 2
    Resi 2 Remake
    God of War
    Sunset Overdrive
    Spider-Man
    Doom
    Red Dead 2
    Witcher 3
    Wolfenstein The New Order
    Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor
    Batman Arkham Knight

Not sure how many I was allowed to pick but those are mine.

Edited by Ultrasoundwave at 22:55:01 02-07-2020
  • waggy79 2 Jul 2020 23:01:27 2,302 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Has to be Rocket League, I haven't played another game near to those ridiculous hours.
    I feel around the time they joined with Epic and removed crates I lost some interest, Used to quite enjoy the trading side. Their special events also seemed to dwindle.
    That and I pretty much hit my 'skill ceiling' so matching me with grand champs when I struggle with air dribbling led to a lot of toxic chat.
  • JoeBlade 2 Jul 2020 23:17:26 5,109 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Based on a combination of hours played and overall appreciation: Witcher 3, Endless Space 2, Civ 6, Grim Dawn and Oxygen Not Included

You really don't want to know the amount of time I've wasted on those put together :-/
  • Bichii 2 Jul 2020 23:26:04 3,179 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I don't see how hours played = how great a game is. Sure a game can be addictive or easy to play an hour here and there that adds up over the year but quality?

My most time played during the whole generation is easily destiny 2 but I wouldn't even consider it in the top 20 games of the generation. It was easy to play, had lots of friends playing and was like crack. It wasn't because it was better than say Witcher or dishonoured 2 or doom 2016, it just lent itself to many hours of play time.
  • wuntyate 2 Jul 2020 23:29:00 14,963 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    He said plus overall appreciation. So hours played plus how much he enjoyed it. That's a pretty good basis surely.
  • JoeBlade 2 Jul 2020 23:36:56 5,109 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Bichii It depends. Longer games are not necessarily better for sure; they can just be very grindy but not much fun.

The ones I've listed are games where I felt the many hours I've spent on them were enjoyable.
    I actually like staring at my screen for half an hour in Endless Space 2 (to name one) pondering what my next moves should be, I'm weird that way. All depends what kind of gamer you are I suppose.
  • waggy79 2 Jul 2020 23:48:59 2,302 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I wouldn't play a game for that long if I wasnt enjoying it. Particularly when the only progression is my own skill improving. Rocket League imo is one of those rare games that are pretty much perfection in what it aims to do. The learning curve is almost limitless with pros still getting better every RLCS.
  • Bichii 2 Jul 2020 23:53:12 3,179 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm not saying these games you or I aren't enjoying over the hundred + hours. I'm saying just because I played destiny 300 hours it doesn't mean it is better than the 10+ hours on outer wilds. Time played has no relevance to quality. The last of us 1 is maybe my favourite game ever but it doesn't lend itself to playing multiple times, maybe I've spent 60 hours on it. I've played destiny, battlefield, evolve and a few others far far more but none of them are close to as good as tlou.

Edited by Bichii at 23:54:21 02-07-2020
  • waggy79 3 Jul 2020 00:04:01 2,302 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You're right time doesnt always mean quality.
    Except when it does.

Fwiw tlou is my favourite of last gen. Just dont really count Remastered as this gen. Even though it was...
  • JoeBlade 3 Jul 2020 00:05:57 5,109 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Bichii Let me put it another way: one of my all time favourites is Knights of the Old Republic (the first one), I've finished it start to finish... hmm... six times? I think.
    I've spent that many hours on the game because I wanted to, because I loved it. I wanted to experience every angle, every variation it had to offer.

So no, time spent is not necessarily a yardstick for your liking of a game but it CAN be. The same is true for the games I've mentioned and I can fully understand as much for something like Rocket League (even though it has no appeal whatsoever to me personally)
  • andytheadequate 3 Jul 2020 00:08:43 9,217 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    No one is saying that time played is the only reflection of how good a game is, just that it's often a pretty strong correlation for a lot of games.

Shorter story driven games don't generally have a correlation as they aren't as replayable, but the examples given above are all open ended strategy games and multiplayer games. If you play a game for 300 hours there's a very good chance you do it because you enjoy it.
  • seeyoshirun 3 Jul 2020 06:28:18 15 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think I'd actually have to say Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. It makes me sad that the game didn't get the recognition it deserved (including on EG) when it originally came out, I suspect because a lot of critics were salty that Retro weren't working on a new Metroid game. Then it got better reviews when it was released on Switch. Go figure.

Baba Is You, Stardew Valley, Breath of the Wild, Oxenfree, and the RE2 remake would be up there, too.
  • JoeBlade 3 Jul 2020 07:02:29 5,109 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    seeyoshirun wrote:
    Baba Is You
    I so need to play that. I'm a sucker for puzzlers with a twist and the twist is precisely what that one is all about apparently.
    Looks bloody difficult based on the snippets I've watched but in a completely mind-bending and totally fun way.
  • seeyoshirun 3 Jul 2020 08:19:18 15 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JoeBlade wrote:
    seeyoshirun wrote:
    Baba Is You
    I so need to play that. I'm a sucker for puzzlers with a twist and the twist is precisely what that one is all about apparently.
    Looks bloody difficult based on the snippets I've watched but in a completely mind-bending and totally fun way.
    Yep, that's pretty spot-on. It was an easy GOTY for me last year, I'm so impressed with a game that can deliver such clever, inventive ideas on such a small budget.

It's also weirdly relaxing most of the time despite being a brain-bender, I think because there's generally no pressure or time constraint (and it's got a kind of lovely soundtrack).

P.S. If you're into clever puzzlers, Blek and Pullblox are both really good ones from the current gen, too.

Edited by seeyoshirun at 08:25:12 03-07-2020
  • SnackPlissken 3 Jul 2020 08:35:17 1,963 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Alien Isolation.
  • irrelevanthuman 3 Jul 2020 08:40:18 433 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Breath of the Wild
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 3 Jul 2020 08:44:18 9,030 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I loved the first few hours of Baba is You, when it was still all about the clever, elegant puzzles that required you to completely flip your thinking. It lost it for me in the later sections, where many of the puzzles just became huge, intricate endurance-tests.
  • Mola_Ram 3 Jul 2020 08:49:07 24,022 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It lost me around the point where you start using words as objects to push things around. To me, that didn't really gel with the "thinking outside the box" word combinations that made the game more interesting than your average block-pusher.
  • Rodimus-Prime 3 Jul 2020 12:04:56 385 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's a hard one, but i think i'm going to have to go with Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.

Greedfall, The Witcher III and The Council are all up there as well. Arkham Knight makes up my top five.
  • seeyoshirun 3 Jul 2020 18:54:05 15 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    It lost me around the point where you start using words as objects to push things around. To me, that didn't really gel with the "thinking outside the box" word combinations that made the game more interesting than your average block-pusher.
    See, I didn't mind that. To me, that was just part of the ethos of including every possible thing that could be a part of that basic gameplay idea.
  • Steifybobbins 5 Jul 2020 22:56:13 660 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    1. Breath of the Wild - for making me love an open world
    2. Rocket League - 1000 hours, I'm still rubbish and I still love playing
    3. Sayonara Wild Hearts - Audio visual perfection

Honourable mentions

Destiny, overwatch, Splatoon 2 and Links Awakening

Edited by Steifybobbins at 22:57:03 05-07-2020

Edited by Steifybobbins at 22:58:14 05-07-2020
  • JYM60 5 Jul 2020 23:23:37 18,483 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Overwatch and God of War. Overwatch easily my most played game ever, God of War loved every second of it.

Really loved COD Blackout for a good while too.
  • Dombat 6 Jul 2020 08:17:30 1,779 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Overwatch is my game of the generation at the moment but this might change as there are so many quality games Iím still catching up on. I was obsessed with Overwatch for pretty much a solid two years though.
  • KaiserLaika 6 Jul 2020 08:24:07 1 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Blooborne, Slay the Spire and BOTW for me.
  • JYM60 6 Jul 2020 18:11:46 18,483 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Dombat wrote:
    Overwatch is my game of the generation at the moment but this might change as there are so many quality games Iím still catching up on. I was obsessed with Overwatch for pretty much a solid two years though.
    Same, though don't expect it will change. Still play at least 4 times a week usually, and watch the pro Overwatch League when I can. Even had tickets for the games in Toronto, which got cancelled because of covid :(
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.