Hellpoint.... a Soulborne in Space

First Previous
  • DodgyPast 3 Jul 2020 16:18:06 9,346 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    An interesting taster from Kotaku
    https://kotaku.com/hellpoint-is-a-souls-like-with-some-cool-new-ideas-1843142566

I've actually decided to give it a punt and pre-order as there's a native linux port.

But I like the sounds of it.
  • dominalien 4 Jul 2020 18:07:33 9,817 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    July 30 says GOLís Liam.

Looks nice.

Also, fuck off Kotaku with your auto playing unrelated video stuck to the top of the screen on my phone. And on Firefox, too, I thought they were dealing with this filth somehow, though that may be just on the computer.
  • Graxlar_v3 13 Sep 2020 21:24:04 10,467 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    So... I finally bought this. Played past the first boss, it is fucking immense. Have hit a bit of a dead end though at the observatory so any helpful hints as to what I am meant to be going is appreciated
  • wuntyate 13 Sep 2020 22:20:47 15,303 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    \o/

You want to erm... Right. Ah. From observatory look for the door with the green lights above it. And the green text. That's Arcology. That way.
  • wuntyate 13 Sep 2020 22:21:42 15,303 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh, also, explore the observatory. There's quite the climb up to the top but there's stuff up there. Way way up high.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 13 Sep 2020 23:31:58 9,361 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, the Observatory has more secrets than you can shake a stick at and it is more vertical than you might expect. There is some proper Souls-y creeping-around-on-rafters to be done.

And yes, your next step is the Arcology. Think that's on the second ring from bottom, marked with the green lights as Wunty says. When you go in, you get to ride the Slowest Elevator Ever. Make sure to use the rift at the bottom, as you don't want to have to repeat that trip too many times.

There's another boss coming up soon. After you've beaten that (it's quite easy), you might want to use a Rift Stabiliser (enables fast travel) at the next rift after the boss if you have one. That's an area you'll want to return to multiple times as the game goes on.
  • Graxlar_v3 14 Sep 2020 00:38:25 10,467 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Rogueywon yeah I have it another 20 minutes and beat that boss too. He wasnít difficult but his long range and tight area meant it took me a few attempts to dial in my attacks and dodges. I am looking forward to playing some more of it, I really really like the atmosphere
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 14 Sep 2020 08:37:02 9,361 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Atmosphere is the stand-out for this. As the genre goes, it's probably the best in atmosphere terms since Bloodborne. That does help paper over some of the mechanical roughness.
  • FoxMoody 14 Sep 2020 08:41:07 79 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Watched some videos and reviews and the world kinda seems barren to me?
    And a lot of reviews say there's a certain lack of objective and sense where to go next...
    Sci-fi setting is appealing tho.
  • wuntyate 14 Sep 2020 08:45:16 15,303 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It certainly is a bit vague on where to go but I like that. There's loads of scope for subsequent playthroughs to be done where areas are tackled in a different order as there's multiple routes to most places it seems. It's sprawling and a bit disorientating but that fits the setting imo.
  • wuntyate 14 Sep 2020 08:46:00 15,303 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Rogueywon if you're in Arcology Underside does that mean you've found a way to breathe outside?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 14 Sep 2020 08:52:26 9,361 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @wuntyate You need the EVA suit. You can find the schematics to craft it just off the first atrium in Arcology Underside. It has masses of rad resistance and the helmet gives you unlimited oxygen.
  • wuntyate 14 Sep 2020 10:28:58 15,303 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ah. See I have the schematics but in order to craft it I think I need the broken one first? Which I've not found yet.

Unless there's another way to craft it of course!
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 14 Sep 2020 11:00:13 9,361 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @wuntyate The broken one is right back near the start of the game. Unfortunately, you've got to go outside to get it, so you're probably going to take a death.

Go back to the Embassy and to the corridor patrolled by the sentinal guys with shields (outside the first boss room). Now go along that corridor to the far end, near the door that takes you back to the very first rift from the start of the game. There's a secret door on the left hand side as you approach that door.

Go through it and go down through a couple of lifts and out an airlock. You've now got an outdoors platforming bit, during which you'll be suffocating and exposed to radiation. The broken EVA kit is at the end of that section.
  • wuntyate 14 Sep 2020 11:05:33 15,303 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Rogueywon Ha ha bloody hell really? Talk about obscure. Awesome I'll try and grab it later, cheers!
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 14 Sep 2020 11:17:31 9,361 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @wuntyate Incidentally, while it's not great as armour in general terms for many builds (it's heavy), the EVA suit is fantastic for the boss at the end of Arisen Dominion if you haven't done that yet. Only learned that after I'd killed it "normally".

Edited by Rogueywon at 11:18:46 14-09-2020
  • wuntyate 14 Sep 2020 11:19:06 15,303 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nice one. I'll maybe make sure I grab it first...
  • Graxlar_v3 14 Sep 2020 13:37:36 10,467 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    played a bit at lunch... was going well, i was getting a bit fustrated by the lack of any form of visual ques as to whether i am going in the right direction but i managed to get to the sohm district and the next boss. I am not sure if i am a fan of these two. The amount of damage they do is massive and the only strategy i can see is to run around the boxes and give one of them an occasional tag before i start running again because they will one shot me if i stop.
  • wuntyate 14 Sep 2020 13:40:55 15,303 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3 Yeah that boss is shite tbh. Took me a fair few goes. It's worth having a good look around the Sohn area though as it's deceptively large!

But yeah, take out the melee guy first and just keep a box between you and the other guy. The melee guy has a projectile attack of his own (besides the blue orb) that flat out cheats and goes through objects, so watch out for that.
  • Graxlar_v3 14 Sep 2020 13:58:31 10,467 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:
    @Graxlar_v3 Yeah that boss is shite tbh. Took me a fair few goes. It's worth having a good look around the Sohn area though as it's deceptively large!

But yeah, take out the melee guy first and just keep a box between you and the other guy. The melee guy has a projectile attack of his own (besides the blue orb) that flat out cheats and goes through objects, so watch out for that.
    yup, full aware of that, it also slows you so magic prick can hit you :)
  • Graxlar_v3 14 Sep 2020 14:03:04 10,467 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I would like to go back to the observatory to see if i can upgrade my stuff at all (or work out how to upgrade stuff) but the portal i am at does not teleport and so i am buggered there as well :(
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 14 Sep 2020 14:19:12 9,361 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I found it easier to get the magic guy down first. Melee guy doesn't chase you aggressively all that often if you keep your distance. Worth noting that when magic guy teleports up on the boxes, you can jump up on top of at least one of them.

The most dangerous move is melee guy's ranged attack. The secret to that, I found, is to evade it by running horizontally, not by dodging.

It's probably a good fight to use a gun on, if you can. Melee guy can't block at all, so he's always vulnerable to gunfire.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 14 Sep 2020 14:22:54 9,361 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3 You need to use a Breach Synchroniser on a breach before you can fast travel from it. Those are in short supply, so you've go to pick the ones you synchronise carefully.

The exceptions are the portals that open up in the Lord-style boss chambers once you've beaten the boss. Those have fast travel unlocked by default.
  • wuntyate 14 Sep 2020 14:32:20 15,303 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3 YOu can upgrade your stuff by putting on a conductor. You've probably picked one or two up. Then you upgrade that. So technically you can upgrade a weapon to +5 or whatever, remove the +5 conductor and put it on a different weapon. Quite a cool idea.

Also, weapons have passives and abilities that unlock the more you use them, so keep an eye out for that. Holding right on the d-pad, you can select the abilities. Like my red saber has one that allows me to throw it and a different one that gives me a spin attack etc.
  • Graxlar_v3 14 Sep 2020 14:34:55 10,467 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    oh nice :) I defo need to look into that, its very obscure and i have no idea what i am doing. I think i put a +1 strength conductor on my spiked club, but no idea how to level it up from there.

I guess google is going to get a visit this afternoon.
  • wuntyate 14 Sep 2020 15:03:36 15,303 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The actual console you use to upgrade is quite hard to miss (for me anyway as I'm fucking thick) but it's the one straight ahead of the breach as you look towards the black hole in the observatory. I think you always spawn at the breach facing the other way so turn around and it's that console there.

Just in case you haven't seen it / can't remember!
  • Graxlar_v3 14 Sep 2020 21:09:19 10,467 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Is this boss a one off? Because it is so cheap and not fun to fight at all
  • Graxlar_v3 14 Sep 2020 21:11:58 10,467 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    And as with all bosses he is now beaten.

I think my weapon got a max use upgrade as I was doing twice the damage

Edited by Graxlar_v3 at 21:16:10 14-09-2020
  • wuntyate 14 Sep 2020 21:44:07 15,303 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Erm. You definitely never see them again.

Definitely.

Promise.
  • Graxlar_v3 14 Sep 2020 23:03:39 10,467 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    So got as far as beating the puppet boss and then turned it off... any idea how far I am in this?
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.