Eurogamer Game of the Generation Awards 2020 Page 2

• Britesparc 14 Jul 2020 12:04:08 2,220 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Game of the Generation: Civilization VI. Not sure where this sits as a PC game, but it's on Xbox One and PS4 so I'm counting it as this gen. I didn't get on with Civ V for some reason, but this ticked all the boxes: brighter, more colourful, streamlined interface and systems... just in general more fun to play all round. The add-on packs make it simply huge and expansive. Played it more than anything else I'd say.

Runner Up: Breath of the Wild. Just the best open world I've ever played; vast but iconic, easy to navigate, excellent and intuitive systems and controls, and a physics playground.

Under-Rated Gem of the Gen: Crackdown 3. Very disappointing compared to the first game, and nowhere near delivering on the "unlimited destruction" hype, but taken on its own terms it's a very fast, fun, old-school double-A shooter with great mechanics. The city sadly isn't as fun or iconic as of old, but it's better than its reputation suggests.

Redemption Arc of the Gen: Mass Effect Andromeda. Not sure this counts as I came to it a couple of months after release, but I've never experienced any bugs, crashing, or dodgy animations (although Ryder does run a little weird). It's not a patch on its predecessors, mind, although I do like the story and I love the new characters. Bit like Crackdown, it's better than people say.

Mightiest Turd: no idea. I don't think I play enough games to find a "turd". I either get big games that I'm invested in and usually enjoy even if they're a bit disappointing (eg Crackdown or Andromeda) or I try out smaller fry on Game Pass or whatever and if it's not clicking with me I set it aside. The last time I ever got a full-price game and just didn't get on with it at all was GTA IV, and I'm very prepared to say "it's not you it's me" in that case, as pretty much everyone else loved it.

Edited by Britesparc at 12:05:10 14-07-2020
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 14 Jul 2020 12:09:46 16,065 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    @simpleexplodingmaybe

Glad someone mentioned The Sexy Brutale - adored that game and barely anyone talks about it.
    I picked it up cheap after seeing Jim Sterling rave about it. I don’t think I’ve seen much chat of it anywhere else at all but it’s a wonderful little game.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 14 Jul 2020 12:15:11 16,065 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Mightiest Turd of the generation

Dragon Age Inquisition

Admittedly cross-gen and certainly not the worst game technically but it was the most disappointing for me. It was a huge wasted opportunity and ultimately felt like a huge waste of time to have completed. Empty soulless environments, hollow busy work mmorpg inspired quests, a central plot that gets bored of itself toward the end. And a worrying signpost for the direction the genre was going to take in the AAA space.
    This was a weird one for me. I enjoyed DA:I at the time - put around 100 hours into it. But then Witcher 3 came out a few months later and immediately showed DA:I up for the clunky, over-padded mess that it was. I couldn't imagine going back to play it again now (and never played the post-launch DLC, despite owning it all).
    I think I put about 90 in and resented it almost before the end final cutscene had ended. I think there’s probably a decent 30-35 hour game in there beneath all the padding and busywork but as it is it put me off the whole genre for years.

Oh what’s that? Collect ten things of thing for no narrative or in game pay off? but also there’s ten of those missions on every map?
  • Mola_Ram 14 Jul 2020 12:22:48 25,155 posts
    Seen 28 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Like Roguey, I finished DA:I and basically liked it. But if I'd played it after Witcher 3, I dare say I'd have marked it as a bit rubbish.
  • Ultrasoundwave 14 Jul 2020 12:24:19 6,257 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Britesparc wrote:
    Game of the Generation: Civilization VI. Not sure where this sits as a PC game, but it's on Xbox One and PS4 so I'm counting it as this gen. I didn't get on with Civ V for some reason, but this ticked all the boxes: brighter, more colourful, streamlined interface and systems... just in general more fun to play all round. The add-on packs make it simply huge and expansive. Played it more than anything else I'd say.
    I've had this sitting on my Switch since release day and never touched it...and I have no idea why.

Need to get around to it ASAP.
  • Tomo 14 Jul 2020 12:28:45 18,829 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    SteveHolt wrote:
    Tomo wrote:

Under-rated Gem – Rain World – I prefer it to Hollow Knight, but it's harder to recommend. Requires patience and persistence. But the rewards are so worth it – I've never played a game that's left me so awestruck.

PC or consoles? I tried to play this on PS4 and the game is absolutely captivating, but after a dozen hours I had to abandon it because the controls are just so frustrating/broken it made me want to bite my coffee table.
    I played it on PC with Xbox One controller (and via my Shield for a bit of extra lag, just to make it marginally even harder). Honestly, the controls are excellent, but they take a long time (>10 hours) to get used to. Once you learn how to control Slugcat, you can jump and throw and flip like a boss. It's really quite something. You will ALWAYS miss the occasional grab though. Just gotta hope it's not 20 minutes into a run, above a bottomless chasm... On my second run through the game I was absolutely speeding through the zones. Never would've imagined it when I started the game - I was terrified of everything. The main thing that can get to fuck are the 90% transparent crocodiles... when they get you 30 mins into a run, that's when you eat the coffee table, spew it up, eat the vom and set fire to your house. True fact.
  • RyanDS 14 Jul 2020 12:29:55 13,673 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Game of the Generation

P5R

Runner Up

Assassin's Creed Origins

Under-Rated Gem of the Gen

Xenoblade 2

Redemption ark of the gen

Um... no idea

Mightiest Turd of the generation

Red dead 2
  • JamboWayOh 14 Jul 2020 12:33:12 22,445 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I know this is subjective but turd of the generation is Red Dead 2??? Okay.
  • RyanDS 14 Jul 2020 12:34:24 13,673 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Yep. Worst gameplay I have endured. Looked pretty etc, but as a game was shit. Genuinely the game I hated the most. Iterally the worst controls and handling of any game and I grew up with the spectrum etc.

I am aware I am in a minority.
  • Rodimus-Prime 14 Jul 2020 12:59:12 394 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Game of the Generation - Hitman 2

Not to be overdramatic, but this gaming. An exotic and varied array of maps with seemingly endless possibilities. The challenges are like little puzzles to work out, and getting a perfect run on a mission is always a thrill.

Runner Up - The Witcher III

I don't really think anything needs to be said about this.

Under-Rated Gem of the Gen - The Council

A sort of Telltale-esque episodic adventure, with a skill tree that affects the way you are able to go about your business in some really interesting ways. The story is pretty great too. Hopefully they'll do a sequel where the council reconvenes in a different time period.

Redemption arc of the gen - Homefront: The Resistance

I remember playing this on the xbox one when it first came out, and from a technical perspective it was awful, with the game freezing for a few seconds after completing any objective.

I fancied a simple shooter so picked it up for the PS4 in a recent sale with all the DLC, and the performance had been improved dramatically. There are still gameplay and writing issues, but the three DLC packs were a lot more enjoyable than anything in the main story. I ended up having fun with it.

Mightiest Turd of the generation - Alekhine's Gun

That i'm putting Alekhine's Gun here, is part of the reason i'm going with Hitman 2 for the top. This shows that it's not easy to get this kind of game right.

It's the worst game i've ever played through to completion, from both a technical and mechanical standpoint. Because of this game, i don't even use the Alekhine's Gun move in chess anymore.
  • ZuluHero 14 Jul 2020 13:01:56 9,708 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    I know, right? A bit like someone saying that BoTW is the turd of the generation earlier.
  • Rogueywon 14 Jul 2020 13:57:02 10,695 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    I know, right? A bit like someone saying that BoTW is the turd of the generation earlier.
    And it wasn't even me. I picked Valkyria: Azure Revolution as the turd.
  • Rogueywon 14 Jul 2020 14:05:59 10,695 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    One thing that's interesting looking at this thread, the previous one Bichii created and general early "game of the generation" coverage beyond EG is the list of games that don't get mentioned. There are a few games that were much-hyped on launch and got lots of breathless "gotg" coverage, which seem to have really faded over time. I don't think it's just the recency effect, as Witcher 3 was pretty early in the generation and still features heavily in lists (same for Bloodborne).

But Overwatch gets very few mentions. I think it had one nomination in the Bichii thread, but otherwise has fallen away. Now, the EG forum seems to skew less towards the big online sensations than average, but even looking at wider coverage, Overwatch's prominence seems to have slipped backwards.

Given the EG forum demographic, the total absence of The Last Guardian feels perhaps more surprising. This got a rapturous reception in many quarters at the time, but pretty much nobody is letting it anywhere near their "games of the generation" lists. Personally, I never liked it to begin with, but it's still surprising that it left so little lasting impression.
  • Cappy 14 Jul 2020 14:57:58 14,259 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The Last Guardian felt so incredibly disappointing, it's not a bad game by any measure, there's just nothing there to justify such a protracted development.

They spent years going in circles not really progressing trying to develop new tech, this is the result? A variant on ICO which just doesn't resonate second time around and doesn't seem as memorable, maybe it's because this time you are partnered with an animal which you wouldn't expect to have more complex thoughts and feelings.

Maybe in a few years it will be something people can re-evaluate and look at with fresh eyes. I'd totally forgotten it was released until it was just mentioned.

The Last Guardian soundtrack is outstanding, but we're not talking about soundtracks of the generation and that can be enjoyed just as easily without the game getting in the way.
  • Trowel 14 Jul 2020 15:03:29 24,077 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    That's one genre this generation had in spades - games with beautiful artwork, sweeping vistas, wistful orchestrals, and fuck all gameplay.
  • Mola_Ram 14 Jul 2020 15:04:42 25,155 posts
    Seen 28 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What
  • Tomo 14 Jul 2020 15:15:25 18,829 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I'd forgotten about TLG - I bloody loved it, and it's one of my favourites of the gen. But, to be the best game in a generation, it has to do something totally fresh or at least incredibly well to earn that badge. TLG is wonderful, but it's not particular original or ground-breaking. Just a bloody great platformer really with a beautiful story and art.

PUBG arguably kick-started the entire battle royale fad that we're going through. It evoked such a constant, strong fear of imminent death - I've never felt anything like it. Consequently, the rush from winning a round was amazing.

Again... crying shame it's so badly optimized and developed by a bunch of bandits.
  • ghearoid 14 Jul 2020 15:45:29 3,677 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Game of the Generation:
    The legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    I don't even like Zelda games and wasn't going to bother with it, but it's become my favourite game ever, completed it twice. Might have another go if nothing grabs me this autumn.

Runner Up:
    Persona 5
    Great style, engaging characters, amazing music, fun combat.

Under-Rated Gem of the Gen:
    Xenoblade Chronicles 2
    People are still bitching about this one, it's been years!

Redemption ark of the gen:
    Xenoblade Chronicles 2
    They fixed a lot, improved the map, added extra blades, quests and a combat arena.

Mightiest Turd of the generation:
    I tend to avoid games I don't think I'll enjoy. Could I put Ni No Kuni in this category? Such an overrated, dull game. Otherwise, I'll abstain.

Edited by ghearoid at 18:32:42 14-07-2020
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 14 Jul 2020 17:42:46 16,065 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Rogueywon I’d written up Last Guardian as my Runner Up and it was almost my Underrated too.

But final choices were a bigger emotional impact and a game which I think was completely overlooked
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 14 Jul 2020 17:46:59 16,065 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    I can buy someone choosing that. So many open worlds now are either full of pointless fiddly tasks, padding, time wasting and too little compelling gameplay that even as technical marvels these huge late generation titles (RDR2, Death Stranding etc) might be they’re going to be suffering from some genre fatigue
  • Duffking 14 Jul 2020 18:17:28 16,728 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Game of the Generation - Prey, because it's System Shock 3 in all but name, immersive sims are the best games and this is the best one. Basically what Bioshock should and could have been.

Runner Up - Divinity: Original Sin 2. Tossup between BotW but this takes it for sheer depth and being in a genre I don't normally get into very easily.

Under-Rated Gem of the Gen - If we're going underplayed, Astral Chain. Really excellent. Can't really think of something that generally reviewed badly that I enjoyed.

Redemption arc of the gen - Warframe. It was wank, now it starts wank but becomes really good. They need to overhaul their new player stuff pronto.

Mightiest Turd of the generation - Actually, originally I said Fast RMX but I'm changing it to BFV. Aside from the campaign being awful as expected, BFV is like the logical end point of every single thing that's gone wrong with the franchise since BF2 neatly wrapped into one god awful package. Nearly every single thing about it is terrible. I can't think of one nice thing to say about that game other than it looks pretty.

Bonus - Over-Rated Game of the Gen - Crash Team Racing remake. I could have handled it being like, 50% accurate, but instead is about 95% accurate instead so it's just got all these minor things that just don't quite feel right and make me hate it.

Edited by Duffking at 18:21:11 14-07-2020
  • Duffking 14 Jul 2020 18:19:27 16,728 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:But Overwatch gets very few mentions. I think it had one nomination in the Bichii thread, but otherwise has fallen away. Now, the EG forum seems to skew less towards the big online sensations than average, but even looking at wider coverage, Overwatch's prominence seems to have slipped backwards.
    At least as far as OW goes, many MP games have this generation tended to sour people on them long term. OW is a near unrecognisable game from what it was when it started and just isn't enjoyable for a lot of people. Same thing happened for me with Apex, loved it at first but at this point I just hate it with a passion.
  • Syrette 14 Jul 2020 18:20:26 51,003 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Great call on Prey. Think that could go down as one of the more underrated games of this gen too.
  • Rogueywon 14 Jul 2020 18:48:41 10,695 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    I can buy someone choosing that. So many open worlds now are either full of pointless fiddly tasks, padding, time wasting and too little compelling gameplay that even as technical marvels these huge late generation titles (RDR2, Death Stranding etc) might be they’re going to be suffering from some genre fatigue
    Every time I try to get into RDR2, I bounce off the controls. They're horrible and immersion-breaking. Not even close to turd of the generation for me, though.

Duffking wrote:
    At least as far as OW goes, many MP games have this generation tended to sour people on them long term. OW is a near unrecognisable game from what it was when it started and just isn't enjoyable for a lot of people. Same thing happened for me with Apex, loved it at first but at this point I just hate it with a passion.
    There might be something to this. I played a lot of Overwatch when it launched and actually really enjoyed it for a while. The last time I did that with a competitive multiplayer game was around 2003. But it soured for me when they brought in the ranked competitive mode and the seasons. The community turned on a dime at that point and pretty much every game I joined felt incredibly toxic, even in unranked mode.

Edited by Rogueywon at 18:48:53 14-07-2020
  • Ultrasoundwave 14 Jul 2020 22:37:26 6,257 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Prey absolutely didn’t get enough credit.....astonishingly good game!
  • Steifybobbins 14 Jul 2020 23:40:42 741 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Winner Breath of the Wild, the only open world game that didnt feel like a collection of boring quests and padding to me. It's also the only open world game I've ever enjoyed at all and I've played your Red Deads, your GTA's and your Fallouts etc. I still enjoy simply wandering about in BOTW sometimes.

Runner up Rocket League, over 1000 hours, I'm still plat 3 on a good day, my teammates still hate me often and I still cant stop playing

Underrated Gems anything published by annapurna interactive. Loved Gorogoa, Kentucky Route zero, Edith Finch and I absolutely adore Sayonara Wild Hearts

Redemption Arc Destiny 1. Initially underwhelming, eventually less so, always a riot with a team of friends

Mightiest Turd Fifa I still play the crappy switch version for an online footy fix but I cant help but feel Fifa has stagnated on the big consoles I'm sure there are bigger turds but I buy less and less games meaning i avoided your Anthems and the like. Evolve springs to mind too. I did buy that hoping for fun with friends and it was a great idea that was dreadful to play, particularly as the beast thing
  • Rogueywon 14 Jul 2020 23:43:08 10,695 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    Prey absolutely didn’t get enough credit.....astonishingly good game!
    Prey lost it for me in the latter stages, where there were unavoidable ammo-sink fights every few steps. Great early on, though.
  • Tomo 15 Jul 2020 00:14:18 18,829 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Meh, the enemies in Prey absolutely sucked, which is a pretty big flaw in an FPS for me. Didn't make it much beyond 5 or so hours sadly.
  • Bichii 15 Jul 2020 00:19:31 4,214 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's not a fps. It's in first person and there are guns that you shoot but it's not a fps. Doom is a fps, cod is a fps. Dishonoured and prey aren't fps.
  • Nanocrystal 15 Jul 2020 00:29:57 2,309 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Rodimus-Prime wrote:
    Under-Rated Gem of the Gen - The Council

A sort of Telltale-esque episodic adventure, with a skill tree that affects the way you are able to go about your business in some really interesting ways. The story is pretty great too. Hopefully they'll do a sequel where the council reconvenes in a different time period.
    Cool, bought this on sale a few weeks ago as it looked really interesting. Looking forward to playing it.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.