Eurogamer Game of the Generation Awards 2020 Page 3

Next Last
  • andytheadequate 15 Jul 2020 00:33:30 9,493 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Game of the Generation - Has to be Rocket League for me, nearly 500 hours played and still love the game.

Runner Up - I'd say Dark Souls Remastered but that's sort of cheating, and I haven't played DS3 enough yet. So I'll go with Disco Elysium. Loved pretty much the full game, and often ended up playing it for hours at a time, which is always a good sign. I was interested in it since I first heard about the game, but assumed it would be a bit crap in practise. But it's genuinely brilliant, possibly the only game I played that felt like a true role playing game I.e. play the character the way you want, not how you think the game wants you to.

Under-Rated Gem of the Gen - Full Metal Furies. Got it in a bundle and only tried it because it was co op and we had nothing else to play. The name really doesn't help, and I assumed the gameplay would be a bit crap. Instead, it's a mixture of Castle Crashers (but far better), the meta puzzles of Fez, and a bullet hell game. Even the humour isn't that bad. Ended up playing 30 hours and really enjoyed it all.

Redemption arc of the gen - probably Wreckfest for me, although mainly because I haven't played many games that have changed dramatically. I bought Wreckfest in early access and it was pretty fun, but by the time it was fully released it was one of my favourite multiplayer games of the generation.

Mightiest Turd of the generation - Does the Tomb Raider reboot come under this generation? If so, then that. I can't believe people still want to play that kind of on rails shit with QTEs every 5 minutes. It did look nice though.
  • Tomo 15 Jul 2020 00:38:26 18,829 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    It's not a fps. It's in first person and there are guns that you shoot but it's not a fps. Doom is a fps, cod is a fps. Dishonoured and prey aren't fps.
    Ok so that means it gets a free pass to have shit enemies... Right...
  • OnlyJoeKing 15 Jul 2020 01:04:44 1,223 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Game of the Generation - Total Warhammer 2.

Runner Up - Total Warhammer. Or Subnautica.

Under-Rated Gem of the Gen - Subnautica.

Redemption arc of the gen - fuck knows. Total Warhammer 2.

Mightiest Turd of the generation - The Surge 2. I died the other day and it was FUCKING ANNOYING! Stupid game.
  • OnlyJoeKing 15 Jul 2020 01:10:51 1,223 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Other massive turds:

Horizon (BORING)
    Ark (framerate lol)
    No Man's Sky (framerate lol)
    NieR: Automata (yawn)
  • OnlyJoeKing 15 Jul 2020 01:12:01 1,223 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh, another underrated gem!

The Evil Within 2. What a fun game.
  • Deleted user 15 July 2020 01:20:41
    Game of the Generation - Bloodborne

Runner Up - Red Dead Redemption 2

Under-Rated Gem of the Gen - The Evil Within 2

Redemption arc of the gen - Wreckfest or No mans Sky

Mightiest Turd of the generation - Lords of the Fallen
  • Saul_Iscariot 15 Jul 2020 05:32:27 4,060 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Game of the generation for me is Breath of the Wild. Loved it from start to finish. I think I have put over two hundred hours into it, and didnít find a moment of it not engaging. The world is stunning, the puzzles clever.

Runner up is most likely God of War. It is a superb game, very enjoyable.

Underrated gem
  • Ultrasoundwave 15 Jul 2020 08:58:32 6,257 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Evil Within 2 is a 10/10 for me and it was very close between it and Watch Dogs 2 for my under-rated gem...also Wreckfest!

I regularly pop back into Wreckfest for an MP match of Destruction Derby, absolutely love that game.
  • Tomo 15 Jul 2020 12:43:37 18,829 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Preferred EW1, but yeah both games are massively underrated gems of the gen.
  • JamboWayOh 15 Jul 2020 12:49:37 22,445 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Evil Within 2 is light years ahead of the original, which I hated with a passion. I just couldn't get past how janky the first one was.
  • Tomo 15 Jul 2020 13:59:15 18,829 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Nooooo. I didn't notice any jank in the first, but that aside, the story in the first was much better and it benefited from being more tightly focused/terrifying not being open world.
  • Ultrasoundwave 28 Dec 2020 23:52:43 6,257 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    Under rated - easily evolve, incredible MP game. Just amazing....
    Iíve always wondered why Evolve fell off the cliff that it did, it feels like the type of game that, if it had come out in the last few years, would be been updated and supported regularly enough and would have been a bigger deal.
  • davidfowles 29 Dec 2020 00:40:04 323 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Ah, I went looking for this but only went back a few months. The new consoles werenít even out yet!
  • JamboWayOh 29 Dec 2020 00:53:13 22,445 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    Bichii wrote:
    Under rated - easily evolve, incredible MP game. Just amazing....
    Iíve always wondered why Evolve fell off the cliff that it did, it feels like the type of game that, if it had come out in the last few years, would be been updated and supported regularly enough and would have been a bigger deal.
    It was because and quite rightly the ridiculous splitting of content depending on where you bought it and the limited concept of 3 players versus 1 other person. It's fine as a game mode in multiplayer only game but when it's the only mode you can see why it failed as it did. If it had come out now I doubt it would have been a big deal, I mean the Predator game is effectively the same concept through and through and that hasn't risen to great prominence. If it came out now it would have to be free to play but also contend with all the other free to play multiplayer games that are contending for your time but again I doubt it would be a big deal.
  • Dirtbox 29 Dec 2020 00:58:04 91,948 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Worst gen yet.
  • spookyxelectric 29 Dec 2020 01:44:43 332 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Game of the Generation - Final Fantasy VII Remake

Runner Up - Breath of the Wild

Under-Rated Gem of the Gen - Toss up between Deus Ex Mankind Divided and Sakura Wars

Redemption arc of the gen - Final Fantasy XV

Mightiest Turd of the generation - Watch Dogs 2
  • oldschoolsoviet 29 Dec 2020 02:06:59 6,924 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'd say DayZ pretty much fills all of the categories.

Completely underrated in it's influence, moving from a mod to standalone, Chernarus being one of the top tier maps of all time, still broken and janky to hell but still slowly improving, and for me, nothing else has come close getting the old heart racing.

Think SovietWomble has an interesting YT dissection of it's history and legacy that covers a lot of points.
  • hedben2013 29 Dec 2020 09:12:27 1,906 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Speaking of Day Z, I'd put Vigor as my underrated gem. Despite a bit of jankiness in the movement and gunplay, and despite camping being a legitimate but frustrating strategy, it has moments of risk/reward that are unparalleled in anything else I've played.

Game of the generation is probably GTA for me, if it even counts (first person mode was this generation??). Or Fortnite or Rocket League for hours played with the kids.

Runner up- Void Bastards, Stardew Valley, Moonlighter

Redemption arc- No idea, I very rarely if ever play games at launch

Turd- Borderlands 3. It's not terrible, it's just fine. But it was my biggest disappointment because I'd got hyped for it and bought it day 1, which I hardly ever do
  • dfunked09 29 Dec 2020 09:23:56 1,451 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Garfield Kart for Nintendo Switch

/thread
  • Ultrasoundwave 29 Dec 2020 15:31:38 6,257 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    spookyxelectric wrote:
    Really???

I know itís not regarded as one of the best games of the generation, but the worst?????, donít see it myself.
  • spookyxelectric 29 Dec 2020 16:15:57 332 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    spookyxelectric wrote:
    Really???

I know itís not regarded as one of the best games of the generation, but the worst?????, donít see it myself.
    To be fair, I liked Legion even less, but went with 2 because I played Legion on PS5. At least with 2, I had fun making cars drive into one another and having everything explode. With Legion, I felt compelled not to do that because of the whole "everyone is a possible recruit" mechanic.

I think they both play fine enough, but I really despise the writing in those games. I much preferred WD1's simple, relatable Aiden's revenge story over the hipster dickhead rubbish of its sequels.
  • Psiloc 29 Dec 2020 20:20:18 5,901 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    NMS is my turd of the generation. I barely register that its improved over the launch period, though I'm aware objectively, it has.

For me it's still a vast, beautiful space sim that manages to be about pointing a laser beam at a rock
  • docrob 29 Dec 2020 23:01:20 1,720 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    Prey absolutely didnít get enough credit.....astonishingly good game!
    Prey lost it for me in the latter stages, where there were unavoidable ammo-sink fights every few steps. Great early on, though.
    Me too. I really loved it, and I wanted to finish it, but it just started throwing huge numbers of tough enemies at me in the last 20% and it stopped being fun as a result. It should have been a 9/10 and it is more like a 7.
  • Bichii 29 Dec 2020 23:06:31 4,214 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Hmm depends how you played it. On my first attempt I got 2/3 or so through it and I also thought that and sold it. Then I bought it again maybe a year later and played a more diverse play style using the environment and the various available abilities and it was one of the best games of the generation. It is a game where if you fight everything, especially in the late game, it's pretty frustrating/average.
  • spookyxelectric 31 Dec 2020 20:24:45 332 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    spookyxelectric wrote:
    Game of the Generation - Final Fantasy VII Remake

Runner Up - Breath of the Wild

Under-Rated Gem of the Gen - Toss up between Deus Ex Mankind Divided and Sakura Wars

Redemption arc of the gen - Final Fantasy XV

Also I guess an addendum, or an honourable mention. I never really thought of it in "GotG" terms, but without question the game I've put more hours into than any other has to be Gran Turismo Sport. So that probably wins, even if FF7R is the one in my heart.
  • Next Last
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.