Best era for gaming ...

First Previous
  • crestedzulu 4 Aug 2020 18:25:27 62 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Historically i always regarded the 16 Bit console era as the greatest of all time, no question.

However i think its worth having a debate about this as we are on the cusp of a new range of consoles.

I`m going to stick my flag in the sand here and vote for the current generation.

There have been so many standout games across all formats of gaming that i genuinely believe times have never been as good.

What do you guys think?
  • Deleted user 4 August 2020 18:35:37
    IMO if you take rose tints off (which I'm guilty of too), the answer is almost now whenever you ask yourself this question.

Edited by Steve-Perry at 18:36:03 04-08-2020
  • Technoishmatt 4 Aug 2020 19:33:49 4,874 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Especially cos now you can also play the games that came before.
  • RyanDS 4 Aug 2020 19:34:29 13,676 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Whatever year you were 15.
  • PazJohnMitch 4 Aug 2020 19:35:34 16,569 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Damn you Ryan. I was about to write that.
  • richarddavies 4 Aug 2020 19:38:46 8,108 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Depends on your age really.
  • retro74 4 Aug 2020 20:56:51 3,567 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    This gen has been rubbish for me, didnít even buy the Xbox whatever it was called and didnít play much on PS4 or Switch either

Even though I still subscribe to Edge I donít actually read it, they stay in the plastic bag
  • challenge_hanukkah 4 Aug 2020 20:58:17 13,588 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I used to be 15
  • Load_2.0 4 Aug 2020 21:04:56 32,507 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Pre internet.

Want to know every single detail of a game. See 100 play throughs? Know every trick, easter egg and game guide?

Before you even play it once? Yaaaay fun.
  • chopsen 4 Aug 2020 21:09:20 21,532 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Load. You could just....not look?
  • chopsen 4 Aug 2020 21:10:46 21,532 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    And games have got incrementally better every year since I've started. And I started nearly at the beginning.

Edited by chopsen at 21:11:38 04-08-2020
  • fontgeeksogood 4 Aug 2020 21:38:22 11,992 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    July 1992
  • ZuluHero 4 Aug 2020 21:44:13 9,708 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I thought yesterday was pretty good.
  • Zomoniac 4 Aug 2020 21:45:30 10,375 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    2005-08. When console online was really taking off in a big way, everyone in my circle had the same online games (probably because there were far fewer). Those early 360 days of Geometry Wars leaderboards, Halo 3 Forge, XBLA weekly releases and achievement hunting. It was the first time since the 2D to 3D switch that felt like a seismic shift in how gaming would be, and with a close online community was an amazing time.

Now is no doubt Ďbetterí, but itís almost too much. Everyone I knew had PGR3, PDZ, Marble Blast Ultra. Itís no longer a group of people I game with, because each game needs a separate group.
  • DUFFMAN5 5 Aug 2020 04:34:30 26,466 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Steve-Perry wrote:
    IMO if you take rose tints off (which I'm guilty of too), the answer is almost now whenever you ask yourself this question.
    This is almost definitely spot on, however for me personally and allowing for the correct answer above I'm going:
    80:s as not only was the arcade buzzing with new games almost weekly but I was able to get the conversions on my C64
  • IRWATWO 5 Aug 2020 08:26:45 959 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    The 4 or 5 years with the release of Cannon Fodder roughly in the middle. Never been so much fun.
  • Britesparc 5 Aug 2020 08:38:38 2,220 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It's hard to separate objectivity from nostalgia, and like others have said the current diversity means in reality it probably is "now", but I'd argue it was probably the 360/PS3 generation. Felt like that's when online gaming and connected services came of age, we had the Wii and all those really fun family games, stuff like Gears and BioShock delivered a real uplift in graphical prowess, and we had the first huge-and-immersive open world games like GTA IV and RDR (I know there were open worlds before then, but I feel like these sorts of games kicked it up a notch and felt like real living worlds). We had the beginnings of now-huge franchises such as Assassin's Creed, we had the first Arkham games, the best Mario game ever, the best Halo game ever, two Portals, and two of my favourite games of all time (Fable II and Crackdown). If you wanted to argue that the generation began with the release of Half-Life 2 on PC, then it reinforces the argument.

It's hard for me to overlook the mid-to-late-90s in the PC space, as that's got a very real emotional attachment for me (Red Alert, Duke, Quake, Half-Life, Deus Ex) but I think the 360 era probably clinches it.
  • TechnoHippy 5 Aug 2020 08:42:16 18,359 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I'm going with the future - every generation builds in some way on the previous ones and each have their contributions. And the internet has led to the democratisation of games, allowing niche genres enough of an audience to exist.
  • ZuluHero 5 Aug 2020 08:55:05 9,708 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    IRWATWO wrote:
    The 4 or 5 years with the release of Cannon Fodder roughly in the middle. WAR, has Never been so much fun.
    FTFY ;)
  • Rogueywon 5 Aug 2020 09:05:20 10,704 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    "The last few years" is obviously the correct answer, but...

I do have a lot of nostalgia for the mid/late '90s - basically from '95 to '99 or so. I was a PC-only gamer at the time, but there were some fantastic games released in that period. Command & Conquer, Duke Nukem 3D, Quake, Final Fantasy VII, Half-Life, Total Annihilation, Baldur's Gate. Those were basically the games that shaped my gaming-tastes for years to come.

That was followed by a couple of really grim years in the early '00s as the PC gaming scene spent a couple of years in the shitter, beset by a combination of piracy and the consoles just being the hot place to be. I caved and bought a PS2 in late 2002.
  • Psiloc 5 Aug 2020 09:25:03 5,902 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Zomoniac Heh ironically the mid-to-late-00s are borderline considered to be gaming depression for any company that wasn't making a FPS or waggle or Kinect game. Budgets were ballooning and no risks were being taken and everything that wasn't COD was at risk of going out of business.

I mean I guess the fact that an actual recession was going on didn't help...

My answer is just as weird though - I love the PS1 and Saturn era. The graphical jankiness is pure nostalgia to me now, but I'd put the level of creativity up there with any era. Plus Sega was still a major player.

Edited by Psiloc at 09:29:05 05-08-2020
  • Rogueywon 5 Aug 2020 09:30:06 10,704 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Psiloc Yeah, I remember studios going pop one after another in the mid/late '00s. The shift in development costs in jumping to the 360/PS3 was brutal. A lot of Japanese developers decided not to even try and just hid on the handhelds for the next 7 years or so (check the number of big Japanese franchises that never got an installment on the PS3). Plus there were still lots of developers trying to jump onto the MMO bandwagon following the mega-success of World of Warcraft, then finding out that MMOs were much more difficult and expensive than they'd thought.

Elsewhere, the 6-hour-corridor-shooter was the AAA norm for years, inspired by Gears of War and CoD4. Though after half a decade of 40-hour-open-worlders, the corridor shooter does inspire some nostalgia.
  • Psiloc 5 Aug 2020 09:35:52 5,902 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    God yeah, the Japanese disinterest in the PS3 (360 goes without saying frankly) was terrifying. I really thought it was all disappearing. Weird time for gamers who grew up playing Japanese games on Japanese consoles basically exclusively.
  • muddyyfunster 5 Aug 2020 09:44:13 810 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    A lot of right answers in here!

Objectively: now.

Emotionally I think it's a combination of a persons age, and when they first get their hands on new technology that provides their first big step forward in gaming experiences.

For me that was the mid to late 90s. Having grown up with C64 and 16-bit consoles, the introduction of 3D was nothing short of mind-blowing. The very early games like Virtua Racing (you could turn around!) and Doom (you can turn around!) were a revelation.

However, it was the really the next wave of more mature 3D games on PS1 and PC that I look back on most fondly as there were so many new experiences and new ideas. Plus developers had had enough time to really refine games rather than just be tech demos. Formula One (PS1), Half-Life, Thief, Deus Ex, Metal Gear Solid, FFVII, Grand Prix Legends, Rollercoaster Tycoon, Champ Manager 97/98 (aka: the best one) to name some standouts.

To my mind, we simply haven't seen such a marked technological leap in such a short period since.

VR has the potential to do something similar but only if it can become mainstream enough to get the funding required. It's the only gaming experience that has wowed me in the same way as I was back in the nineties (you can turn around and reach out!)

TLDR, yes, it's 'whenever you were 15'. I was born in 1984.

Edited by muddyyfunster at 09:49:57 05-08-2020
  • DrStrangelove 5 Aug 2020 10:00:44 15,371 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Elsewhere, the 6-hour-corridor-shooter was the AAA norm for years, inspired by Gears of War and CoD4.
    I was about to mention that. I don't feel any sort of nostalgia though, it's still the dark ages of the first person shooter imo.
  • retro74 5 Aug 2020 10:07:09 3,567 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    What are the 5 absolute classics of this generation? For it to be a classic is has to be an amazing game and it has to be important / influential in some way

I need a lot of convincing to believe that this has been a golden generation
  • crestedzulu 5 Aug 2020 11:10:31 62 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @retro74 Personally i would say The Last of Us 2, Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Sekiro & Death Stranding.

Not sure they all hit your criteria as a classic but i have absolutely loved each and every one of them.
  • ZuluHero 5 Aug 2020 11:15:11 9,708 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Not another top 5 thread...
  • PierrePressure 5 Aug 2020 11:15:36 1,260 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I really enjoyed the dreamcast/PS2/Gamecube era, it was the perfect culmination of loads of spare time, money and developers fully getting to grips with 3D models in games.

Having said that, nostalgia does play tricks but I remember at the time I was just amazed.
  • retro74 5 Aug 2020 11:26:12 3,567 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @crestedzulu I've only played Sekiro out of that list and I quite enjoyed it. However it didn't come close to other From games I've played

Like a following poster said we don't want another top 5 thread but I just want to say that it's the games that define the generation and there hasn't been too many important ones, just a lot of quite good ones

TLOU2, BotW, Super Mario Odyssey - just better versions of things we've seen before

For me personally, I realise not for everyone, this generation was stale
  • First Previous
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.