Best era for gaming ... Page 2

Next Last
  • Trafford 5 Aug 2020 11:29:58 8,854 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The last 10 years has been good for me.
    Abandoning Xbox and getting back on PlayStation after over a decade.
    Catching up on the best of PS3 and sticking with PS4, watching my kids develop into gamers of skill and taste. Dabbled with Nintendo as usual.
    Getting divorced and having the time and money really helped.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 5 Aug 2020 11:41:26 22,323 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It sort of depends on how you interpret the question, but the word era for me makes it less about technical superiority and more about the spirit of each time period.

So the 80s for me was a very cool time, especially in the U.K. as we had our own thriving games industry with not only quality, but unique character in both our hardware and software. With the whole bedroom coder thing as well it was a very fun period and really exciting to get a C90 loaded up with stuff.

The 90s was when gaming grew up got serious which again was a very cool time, with the first mega titles, arcades becoming like theme parks and the emergence of the new players like Sony and MS. I feel like this was the era where big meaningful cinematic SP games really became a thing - Half Life, Ocarina, MGS etc.

The 00s personally were not my favourite era. Felt like a lot of experimentation with online gaming and waggle and wotnot. Some amazing games of course but it was when gaming started shifted into...

...the current era, which for me has way too much focus on MP and things like Fortnite being so popular and profitable that I worry a bit for my gaming future, as my thing is really epic SP games which while still a thing, feel like theyre less worth the time and investment to make.

So yeah, that 90s era for me is what its all about.
  • breakablepants 5 Aug 2020 11:45:49 1,099 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    retro74 wrote:
    What are the 5 absolute classics of this generation? For it to be a classic is has to be an amazing game and it has to be important / influential in some way

I need a lot of convincing to believe that this has been a golden generation
    I think this is a really good point, as creativity and technical achievement are not the same thing. While Breath of the Wild has been one of my favourite games of the past couple of years, I would probably say that playing Ocarina of Time had more of an emotional impact because its newness was part of its brilliance. The same for GTA3 over GTA5; I love both, and both games were technically cutting edge for the respective generations. But GTA3 remains a complete gaming epiphany for me.

Lots of the games in the 80's and early 90's were amazing because they were new (as gaming was still new). But with few exceptions, if I revisit many of the games I played to death on the BBC Micro, Spectrum and C64 I would not enjoy them nearly as much because the limits on what games can be has changed so radically.

So for me I would say every generation has had moments of gaming genius that transcend the technology, but also that technology enables new experiences as it progresses. Lemmings is genius, just as VR tech is genius. It's the experiences these things deliver that I remember and cherish.
  • Psiloc 5 Aug 2020 12:07:36 5,902 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    retro74 wrote:
    @crestedzulu I've only played Sekiro out of that list and I quite enjoyed it. However it didn't come close to other From games I've played

Like a following poster said we don't want another top 5 thread but I just want to say that it's the games that define the generation and there hasn't been too many important ones, just a lot of quite good ones

TLOU2, BotW, Super Mario Odyssey - just better versions of things we've seen before

For me personally, I realise not for everyone, this generation was stale
    This generation has been one must-have after another as far as I'm concerned, the games have literally been coming faster than I can play them.

All on Switch and PS4 it has to be said... I really feel bad for anybody who stuck with Xbox exclusively this time, I literally own two Forza games and Cuphead. And Cuphead it turns out I could have just waited
  • Psiloc 5 Aug 2020 12:10:03 5,902 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    muddyyfunster wrote:
    The very early games like Virtua Racing (you could turn around!) and Doom (you can turn around!) were a revelation.
    Ha, I actually totally remember the "you can turn around" excitement
  • beastmaster 5 Aug 2020 12:15:14 21,842 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Probably the C64 era for me.

Edit: When home computers were in their golden age. Had a C64 but also yearned for a Texas TI99/4A for some reason.

Edited by beastmaster at 12:16:37 05-08-2020
  • ZuluHero 5 Aug 2020 12:27:31 9,708 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Personally the jump from; taking ages to load and the chance it wouldn't work to; sticking in a game, having it boot up in moments and knowing it would run was a pretty big leap for me.

On C64 & Amiga, I always had a lot of trepidation when buying games (or getting demos on magazines), because sometimes they refused to work. My brother and I shed quite a few tears when buying games when we were out, only to suffer crushing disappointment when the blasted thing wouldn't load when we got home.

SNES totally changed that for me. It would run pretty much instantly, and a quick blow on the contacts would solve most of your woes.

Edited by ZuluHero at 12:29:20 05-08-2020
  • THFourteen 5 Aug 2020 12:28:38 53,863 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I dont really have an era as Im a pc gamer but the 90s were amazing for me, all those adventure games, tycoon games, SWOS, championship manager... I lost most of my youth.
  • Rogueywon 5 Aug 2020 12:46:39 10,704 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    God yes, rose tinted nostalgia aside, the tape deck was the cause of so much misery in my C64 days. The arrival of the first family PC (a 286 12mhz) and games loading in a few seconds from floppy or even faster than that from the hard-drive was a revelation, even if the quality of PC games was really ropey at the time.

Then came the more demanding PC games and the joys of having to play around editing config.sys and autoexec.bat to get them to run, plus maybe a run through memmaker, and remembering which boot disk I needed for which game. Still a million miles better than loading from tape, though, and at least I learned a fair bit from it.
  • SnackPlissken 5 Aug 2020 13:08:32 2,612 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Got to be when rental shops were still a thing. I couldn't afford to buy or wish for every game that came out so it was trawling through CVG/Gamesmaster picking out games I wanted or perhaps had an interest in. Then I'd go down to blockbusters or my local rental and rent it for a week. I played some really awful games but then some I wouldn't have bought at full price and became absolute gems.

Problem these days is you've got Game Pass/Now, huge back catalogues of cheap games. Easily can look on youtube and see whether you like it or not. To me there was still fun back then in getting a proper shit game and talking about it with your mates.
  • SnackPlissken 5 Aug 2020 13:09:50 2,612 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Also I should probably apologise to my mum for begging for South Park on the N64. Fucking 50 for that pile of crap... sorry mum.
  • dominalien 5 Aug 2020 14:10:03 10,216 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The Atari ST gave me a lot of excellent experiences (Sierra and Lucasarts most of all), but the really awesome games only hit after I got a PC around 94. Things like Strike Commander, System Shock, Ultima VII (yeah, Im an Origin fanboy) blew my mind and that must be the best time for me. I was in my early twenties.
  • retro74 5 Aug 2020 14:46:03 3,567 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think the 90s will be remembered very fondly by a lot of people on this forum. For me it was the first time I really had a disposable income of my own so I had access to a lot of games compared to the cartridge era
  • THFourteen 5 Aug 2020 14:47:42 53,863 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Oooh yeah the wing commander games. And anything Sierra, I hoovered you everything they made.

Civilization. Colonisation. Transport tycoon. Dungeon keeper. Theme park. So good.
  • muddyyfunster 5 Aug 2020 15:40:18 810 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    On C64 & Amiga, I always had a lot of trepidation when buying games (or getting demos on magazines), because sometimes they refused to work. My brother and I shed quite a few tears when buying games when we were out, only to suffer crushing disappointment when the blasted thing wouldn't load when we got home.
    Oof. Just had a repressed memory of getting The Simpsons on the C64 for my birthday. I must have been about 6 or 7 years old as it was pre-megadrive. I could get to the loading screen and hear the 'music' so it gave the impression that it was about to work. Obviously I had no idea how it worked and nothing better to do at that age so remember trying it again and again for days before admitting defeat.

Had a similar experience with Terminator 2: Judgement Day, having absolutely not learnt any lessons. Not thought about this in years. I'm sure it was character building. I very rarely cry at loading screens these days.
  • aphex187 9 Aug 2020 15:09:54 10 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    1999 going into 2k only for the games that came out on PS1 around that time and also the release of the Dreamcast and my first foray into online gaming with Quake 3.

I was 15 in 1988 *cries...

Edited by aphex187 at 15:11:55 09-08-2020
  • DrStrangelove 9 Aug 2020 15:25:47 15,371 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think the 90s saw the most radical advances. In 1990, we were used to the NES and the Game Boy was new; in 2000, the PS2 was released. In 1992 Wolf3D was released, and 7 years later we had Q3A.

Compare that with this decade: in 2010 we had Mass Effect 2, ten years later we have TLOU2.

So even without rose-tinted glasses, I believe the 90s were quite exciting to be around for gaming.
  • ontoff 11 Aug 2020 03:38:23 79 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    crestedzulu wrote:
    What do you guys think?
    Now is by far the worst for health reasons: wired controllers and turning off background wireless polling completely (such as Airplane Mode) haven't even been options on consoles for years. When they are, that choice is limited (Switch). A health nightmware. Barrie Trower would not approve. State Mafia-infested modern PCs still give us the choice to game 100% wired with zero wireless.

The lack of microwave-free gaming on consoles is so alarming to me that I will never buy another until that choice returns.

Graphically and sonically, we have never had it better than recent years. The developers are more free to push envelopes because hardware capabilities keep improving and the cost-for-performance ratio keeps improving.

The past games were better for offline reasons. No State Mafia associate needs to know when and where I game. Games were not so tied to downloads and download services. No user profiling. That was better.

I will always have a soft spot for physical copies and the more "transaction ends here" nature of buying older games. Stuff the over-reliance of online services.
  • DrStrangelove 11 Aug 2020 08:07:32 15,371 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ontoff wrote:
    Barrie Trower would not approve.
    That's a shame. I use a wireless headset, have the wifi box under the table, and turn on a second controller for good measure so I can cook microwave food on the table while playing. What's not to like?
  • Rogueywon 11 Aug 2020 08:42:11 10,704 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    If I play games on a modern console while wearing a face mask, will the little metal strip in it microwave my brain? Are the State Mafia associates selling microwaved brains on the black market?
  • Next Last
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.